07. In The End
08. The Giant
09. Hymn 2
10. Judas Priest
11. Crawl
12. The Constant
13. Revolution Screams
14. New Noise [Refused cover] [bonus]

I contracted my first case of Anthrax in '87 when a friend started blaring "I'm The Man!" in his truck one night. Was hoping for the best on this album? and went back nearly 25 years for the inspiration for this review.

Hit play and sing along!

Now they're Anthrax and they take no shit
Over the last three years had eight vocalists
If the sound you hear is one you like
"Fight 'Em" stole "Gridlock"s riff like I stole your...
"Socks!"
Oh man, what's the matter with them?
Maybe they'll get it next time and mean it?

Charlie still beat the beats, the beats he beat
Although time and middle age maybe slowed his feet
The first three tracks are what we missed
But most of the album is just mediocre?
"Chair!"
Damn... unleash the beast!

They were on your case and in your face
now it's mostly just mid-paced
Speed up sucker, understand
Don't you know,

You're a thrash band! A thrash band!
Songs so "meh" they ain't worth a mention!
A thrash band!

Speed up!

Scott's got real def rhythms for these fresh new jams
But "Giant" "In The End" are just plain bland
I really dig these guys and don't want to hate
But after seven years, this ain't worth the
"Sleeping!"
Wait!

I drink the drinks, the drinks I drank
They've got my money in the bank
Belladonna's back tearing up the joint
His voice sounds sharp, he sings on
"Meaning!"
Point! Point! Watch the beat!

now it's modern stuff all mid-pace
It's decent metal, I understand
But don't you know,

Songs like "Crawl" don't command my attention!
A thrash band!

Speed up!

They're now a heavy metal band playing the modern way
They used to be different, but zombies are now cliche
At least Frankie Bello is back in the mix
Thundering on four strings while Rob shreds
"A sexual organ in the lower abdominal area!"
No man, it's SIX!

FASTER!

After the first three songs I wish it were harder
Too many tracks are just tempo-retarded
At least "Judas Priest" makes me feel the vapors*
at times kicks butt like
"Your face!"
An anal raper! Yo, watch the beat!

back in time had a raging pace
Speed up sucker, understand
Don't you know?

Playing your tunes once got me sent to detention!
A thrash band!

Speed up!

So as this review is winding down
former thrash royalty misplaced their crown
Sure we know it ain't '91
But we don't care, we just wanna have...
"A festival!"
A thrash album that lives up to the legacy of your earlier Belladonna-era albums, you stupid idiot!

Fight 'Em Devil You Know Earth On Hell
Show they still can play hard as ever
Too bad the rest aren't more "No Life 'Til Leather."

"This review is so bad it's a crime."

Final score: 6.66

* "Feel The Vapors" is a southern saying meaning to feel a bit woozy/light-headed, hot and flush? parts of that song made me want to break out a hand fan to cool off.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 15.09.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Guest review by
Iron Nostarion
Rating:
Eight years have passed since Anthrax, the so-called "kings of mosh", last released a studio album. Although their heavy metal shift (from their thrash origins) wasn't causing much anticipation for this album at first, several announcements and the return of Joey Belladonna, as well as the online promotional release of the excellent track "Fight 'Em Til You Can't", caused this album to be one of the most anticipated metal albums of the year. A decent amount of people were expecting it to be a groundbreaking thrash metal album, including myself, and most others at least expected it to be a somehow solid release.

Read more ››
published 21.09.2011 | Comments (13)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Let us get this out of the way immediately: yes, it's true, Worship Music only has about three thrash songs on it. Yes, "Fight 'Em 'Till You Can't" bears some striking similarities to "Gridlock" off of Persistence Of Time. Joey Belladonna is overdubbed a lot. Most of the album is slow or mid-paced. Essentially, this album is different. It is not the same Anthrax that Joey left In 1992. If you hit 'play' expecting to hear "Indians" or "Time," you will be sadly disappointed. However, on its own merits, Worship Music is a masterpiece.

Read more ››
published 24.12.2011 | Comments (51)

Guest review by
s7mon
Rating:
"At last!" one might shout being finally able to lay hands on the newest Anthrax effort, Worship Music. Eight long years we waited for some new material. Well, alright, new material released officially on CD. It's easy to assume that the role of this album - apart from bringing some good music of course - was to prove that Anthrax didn't vanish and are still here to remind the youngsters what thrashing is all about. Did they manage to do it? Well...

Read more ››
published 01.02.2012 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 60   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 631 users
15.09.2011 - 04:52
Timmeh
Dudeman
Couldn't agree more with this review, nice job on the presentation to.
15.09.2011 - 05:06
Lit.
Account deleted
You really live up to your name, do you?

Anyways I feel this album as a bit of return to form, similar to Megadeth's The World Needs a Hero. If they manage to keep Belladonna, I'm sure the next few records will be much more Anthrax as we know it.
15.09.2011 - 05:06
Void Eater
Account deleted
Swag.
15.09.2011 - 05:20
wormdrink414
Elite
I dig your rhymes.
15.09.2011 - 06:36
Rating: 8
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
I absolutely love this review [as I loved the original song]; it is certainly very clever. Personally, I have been listening to the album nonstop since I got it, and I think it simply brilliant. Still, while I disagree with the central point of the review, I cannot deny its excellence.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
15.09.2011 - 09:16
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Everything about this review is great, except for the rating, it should be lower
15.09.2011 - 11:42
Mindheist
No Longer Human
6.6 is not a bad rating in my book. Anyways, I can't tell whether I do agree with you or not, I haven't listened to it yet so I'm not gonna make any assumptions.
15.09.2011 - 12:05
elekctric
After that review i am afraid to hear the new Anthrax and yet i loved their last album .... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
15.09.2011 - 12:23
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Only a staff member could get away with writing a review in that style...

I definitely don't share the opinion of the review, or the rating, but at least it had humour. lol xD Kinda like Anthrax also did when Joey was originally in the band.

From all the opinions Ive seen on MS about the album so far, it does seem pretty evenly divided between those who love it, and those who think it's only okay. Although the one common link I have noticed with most of the negative opinions, is the criticsm that the whole album isn't in their 80's thrash style. I do think in order to truly love this album, you do need to have an appreciation for the later John Bush era as well as the Joey one. It's also probably the most melodic album they've ever put out, so Im not too surprised about the album dividing opinion as it has...
15.09.2011 - 12:35
fabregassed
Account deleted
The review beats the album.
15.09.2011 - 12:42
JD
Account deleted
15.09.2011 - 12:58
Baz Anderson
Staff
Brilliant and accurate review!
15.09.2011 - 13:11
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.09.2011 at 12:23

Although the one common link I have noticed with most of the negative opinions, is the criticsm that the whole album isn't in their 80's thrash style.

Not at all. I love "Spreading the Disease" and "State of Euphoria" and I very much like "Sound of White Noise", even though it's considerably weaker. But it does have strong songs like "1000 Points of Hate", "Potter's Field" or "This is not an Exit". So, thrash and non-thrash on these albums. I didn't expect a specific style from the album. I did expect it to be good. But it's fucking terrible after the 3rd song.

I do think in order to truly love this album, you do need to have an appreciation for the later John Bush era as well as the Joey one. It's also probably the most melodic album they've ever put out, so Im not too surprised about the album dividing opinion as it has...

I appreciate both eras, as I stated before. Also, I do like melody in metal.

So, all things considered, the album still fucking sucks. It's boring, goddamn boring and did I say it's boring? Songs like "Crawl" even manage to broaden the definition of boring, and turn it up a few notches to a new level of dullness. It's hard to imagine that the same guys created "A.I.R.", "Medusa", or "Finale"...
15.09.2011 - 13:16
Slayer666
Bitter, you nasty old sumbitch!

At first I was like: "Wut, the review is just a lyrics quote?"
Then I was like: "Ooooh, I C WUT U DID THUR!"
And finally I was like:

Great review dude, great job at finding a fresh way to write about a not-so-fresh, somewhat generic album.
15.09.2011 - 13:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Daniell on 15.09.2011 at 13:11
Not at all. I love "Spreading the Disease" and "State of Euphoria" and I very much like "Sound of White Noise", even though it's considerably weaker. But it does have strong songs like "1000 Points of Hate", "Potter's Field" or "This is not an Exit". So, thrash and non-thrash on these albums. I didn't expect a specific style from the album. I did expect it to be good. But it's fucking terrible after the 3rd song.

I did say "most" of the negative opinions I've seen appeared to centre on that specific criticsm. Which is certainly true, at least taking into consideration all of the negative comments of the album that I've seen myself. It was just a generalisation, I wasn't saying that was an absolute. I also noticed you love "State Of Euphoria", which although I myself also love it, I know that album has came in for severe critcism over the years, at least when compared to the other Joey era (pre-Bush) material. So it's all just opinions at the end of the day. *shrugs*

Written by Daniell on 15.09.2011 at 13:11
I appreciate both eras, as I stated before. Also, I do like melody in metal.

So, all things considered, the album still fucking sucks. It's boring, goddamn boring and did I say it's boring? Songs like "Crawl" even manage to broaden the definition of boring, and turn it up a few notches to a new level of dullness. It's hard to imagine that the same guys created "A.I.R.", "Medusa", or "Finale"...

You may do, but you did admit that you saw "Sound Of White Noise" as being considerably weaker than the Joey albums you mentioned. I'd also presume you view SOWN as being the best John Bush-era album. (as I myself also do) So it is probably safe to say that you do view the Bush era to be at least lesser, if not actually bad. The only thing I do agree with you on, is that "Crawl" is a weak song. Although after repeated plays it has grown on me a little bit, it's still by far (at least for me it is anyway) the worst song on the album. But otherwise, I don't share your opinion at all, although I respect it. xD
15.09.2011 - 14:07
Windrider
Raureif
So, no review for german metalheads... fuck the gema
15.09.2011 - 14:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Imo the album is a bit too fluffy, there are some kickass heavy tracks on there like Earth on Hell and parts of Fight'em Til You Can't, but overall it just seems they played it too safe.
15.09.2011 - 15:53
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Wow, lots of talent there.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
15.09.2011 - 16:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

Only a staff member could get away with writing a review in that style...

Nah, any user could do that as long as they tell THE TRUTH.
Oh snap

We already got the winner for best review of 2011 hands down. Seriously... I had this mental image of Craig being all rapper with bling-bling and shit, singing the review.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.09.2011 - 16:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.09.2011 at 16:33
Oh snap

When it comes to judging the "truth" of reviews, most people only see them as being the "truth" if they happen to agree with it. Reviews are merely one person's opinion, and opinion can't equal "truth" without proof. Merely stating you think an album is great/crap isn't proof of it being so. All it proves, is what you personally think of it, no more no less. lol

Besides, I thought all reviews had to be presented in a certain way.
15.09.2011 - 16:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.09.2011 at 16:50

Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.09.2011 at 16:33

When it comes to judging the "truth" of reviews, most people only see them as being the "truth" if they happen to agree with it. Reviews are merely one person's opinion, and opinion can't equal "truth" without proof. Merely stating you think an album is great/crap isn't proof of it being so. All it proves, is that you personally don't like it. lol

*sigh*
*big goddamn sigh*
I can't believe you gave me a serious respond to that quote. Seriously.
I really have to talk with the rest of the staff and try to find a way to create some sarcasmn code.
[sarcasm] [/sarcasm] doesn't really work.
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.09.2011 - 16:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.09.2011 at 16:53
I can't believe you gave me a serious respond to that quote. Seriously.
I really have to talk with the rest of the staff and try to find a way to create some sarcasmn code.
[sarcasm] [/sarcasm] doesn't really work.

And I think you completely misunderstood my original post you quoted. I was in no way castigating him for his opinion of the album, that's not what I was talking about at all. lol
15.09.2011 - 17:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
*sigh*

Written by Angelic Storm on 15.09.2011 at 16:57

And I think you completely misunderstood my original post you quoted.

It wasn't too much of an obscure post you wrote back then. I know that the comment wasn't about the content of the review but the format.
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.09.2011 - 17:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.09.2011 at 17:20

*sigh*

It wasn't too much of an obscure post you wrote back then. I know that the comment wasn't about the content of the review but the format.

Ah... In that case I obviously didn't know what you meant when you replied to me... I've gone a bit red now, sorry about that. lol xD
15.09.2011 - 17:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.09.2011 at 17:40

Ah... In that case I obviously didn't know what you meant when you replied to me... I've gone a bit red now, sorry about that. lol xD

No worries
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.09.2011 - 18:02
JD
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 15.09.2011 at 13:16

At first I was like: "Wut"

Then "I lol'd".
15.09.2011 - 18:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
This review is pretty dope. And basically what I was expecting from the album.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.09.2011 - 18:25
Rating: 7
The Galactician
I've only had one listen on the latest record so haven't landed my own opinions yet. Whether I ultimately decide I love it or not, this review is totally awesome.
15.09.2011 - 20:32
JakeTheSage
Lol this review is awesome.

I like the album, albeit with my reservations. Probably the best they've done since Persistence of Time, for what that's worth.
15.09.2011 - 23:00
Sulac
Brilliant review...

Hits total: 12270 | This month: 2