Metal Storm logo
Most influential: Motörhead vs Venom

Poll

What is the most influential band for metal out of these two?

Motörhead
equal
Venom

Total votes: 34
10.01.2012 - 15:46
Aristarchos
Motörhead and Venom are probably the two most influential bands for what lead to genres like thrash and the more extreme side of metal. Which of them do you find most influential?

The choice is very difficult. Motörhead was earlier than Venom, but Venom had a completely different sound. I have read that Venom mentions Judas Priest as their main influence, and I don't know how Venom would sound if there was no Motörhead. I have also heard a lot of thrash bands saying that without Motörhead there would be no thrash (or at least thrash wouldn't sound the same), but maybe they could say the same thing about Venom. I guess Venom have had a bigger influence on later genres like death and black, but I guess bands like Bathory and Possessed were influenced by both Motörhead and Venom.

Personally I can't decide who I'm going to vote for, and I'm intrested in what you think. Try to motivate your choice, and if you don't have a clue, then don't vote. I'm more intersted in who has the best arguments rather than which band wins the poll.
10.01.2012 - 16:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I vote euql because MOtorhead start be influenced after Ace Of Spades its same like Judas Priest before and after British Stiel
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.01.2012 - 21:07
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
I would say Venom. They were more of a thrash band than Motorhead was, and more extreme for that matter. I think they probably influenced more thrash bands and death and black as well.
11.01.2012 - 04:16
Sentinel65
I'm going to say Motorhead because not only did they influence many metal bands, but they have some more mainstream hits.
12.01.2012 - 07:58
Guib
Thrash Talker
IMO its a pretty close call, so I say its equal. Personally I listened to both as much, and they influenced me both into digging more agressive metal back then. So I think its a tight fight, anyways, both great bands.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.04.2012 - 10:29
Motorhead invented speed metal (Metal Hammer says). That's why I vote Lemmy and his band.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
22.04.2012 - 13:17
listmor
Who did Motorhead ever influence? Has any bank ever stated they were heavily influenced by Motorhead? Motorhead cover bands excluded.
22.04.2012 - 13:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by listmor on 22.04.2012 at 13:17

Who did Motorhead ever influence? Has any bank ever stated they were heavily influenced by Motorhead? Motorhead cover bands excluded.

Venom stated as much as did Metallica back in the day.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.04.2012 - 14:31
Branzig

Wait...what?

Are you saying no bands have ever been influenced by Motorhead.....
----
In Grind We Crust
22.04.2012 - 17:52
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Motorhead got my vote.

Early Venom sounded like a very sloppy Motorhead if you ask me.

Most of early thrash had a Motorhead influence IMO.
22.04.2012 - 17:54
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 10.01.2012 at 16:48

I vote euql because MOtorhead start be influenced after Ace Of Spades its same like Judas Priest before and after British Stiel

I wanted to contradict you but reading this several times, I realized I don't understand what you are trying to say.
22.04.2012 - 19:48
Zombie94

Darkthrone and Megadeth (Dave Mustaine) come to mind
22.04.2012 - 20:27
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Drinks, drugs, booze and Heavy Metal v/s German, Chinese, Canadian assault?

what to prove? both are the most influential and famous Metal personalities of all time. ripping from each other, critically judging their musics and then conclusion I think won't even solve the question of what this thread is looking for.

Both have a great discographies and awesome Metal history to prove what they did. I go with equal with thinking of sheer stupidity of creating such a thread.
23.04.2012 - 03:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I don't know, I'd have to go around and compile a fucking pie chart or something to see which bands were influenced by either.

All I know (from Marcel) is that Motorhead influenced Venom, and Venom indirectly named an entire genre. I don't know enough about either band beyond that information to give an answer though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."