Metal Storm logo
Help me pick a new guit-fiddle

18.06.2012 - 03:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I'm looking to buy a new guitar (finally) but I can't decide on what kind to buy. I've narrowed it down to a few models and was just looking for some feedback.

First: Epiphone G-310

I think this one is my favourite, but I'm constantly changing my opinion, I hear that SG's have a good tone for metal.

Second: Ibanez RG321

I love the sexy natural stained wood, would probably swap out the pick ups for some EMGs

http://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-Rg321-Electric-Guitar-Mahogany/dp/B0064RRUJM/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1339978284&sr=1-2&keywords=ibanez+321

Third: Epiphone LP special II

The cheapest option, leaves more money for upgrades.

http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Special-Electric-Guitar-White/dp/B000GBZ2F6/ref=sr_1_11?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1339978518&sr=1-11&keywords=les+paul

so yeah, opinions?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.06.2012 - 07:20
Void Eater
Account deleted

But if you must go with one of the three you posted, I'd go with the first one. It looks the coolest.
19.06.2012 - 06:16
Timmeh
Dudeman
I'd probably go the Ibanez, 24 frets compared to 22 and I like having 2 perfect octaves. Judging by a quick skim of reviews the pickups in it are shit, so I'd probably get EMG's like you said.
19.06.2012 - 14:49
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Timmeh on 19.06.2012 at 06:16

I'd probably go the Ibanez, 24 frets compared to 22 and I like having 2 perfect octaves. Judging by a quick skim of reviews the pickups in it are shit, so I'd probably get EMG's like you said.

I was kinda leaning toward it aswell, But the price tag scared me away

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet, and pay the extra $100.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.06.2012 - 16:18
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.06.2012 at 14:49

And you'll be paying even more for the EMG's, so if price is an issue maybe you should go back into search mode . Making decisions like these are painful and take forever, that's why with my guitar I just went into the shop saw it, played it for 10 mins and just bought it. Worked out all good in the end.
19.06.2012 - 18:20
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Timmeh on 19.06.2012 at 16:18

Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.06.2012 at 14:49

And you'll be paying even more for the EMG's, so if price is an issue maybe you should go back into search mode . Making decisions like these are painful and take forever, that's why with my guitar I just went into the shop saw it, played it for 10 mins and just bought it. Worked out all good in the end.

I might ask for as a birthday gift from my parents, but this is the year I get my license, which is $200, which will also be my birthday present, and I don't want them to be broke lol, maybe I'll just pay for my license
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.06.2012 - 04:01
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.06.2012 at 18:20
I might ask for as a birthday gift from my parents, but this is the year I get my license, which is $200, which will also be my birthday present, and I don't want them to be broke lol, maybe I'll just pay for my license

Sounds like a plan . $200 for a license that's a bit ridiculous, for my learners it cost me $80 and I thought that was bad, damn governments.
20.06.2012 - 04:49
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Timmeh on 20.06.2012 at 04:01

Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.06.2012 at 18:20

Sounds like a plan . $200 for a license that's a bit ridiculous, for my learners it cost me $80 and I thought that was bad, damn governments.

Yeah, but I don't think Australia is too in debt, like Canada :/

I'm going to ask for that from my parents, and then ask forhttp://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAEB5E from my sorrounding family, (Aunts, grandma Uncles etc.) I play a lot of folk stuff, so I'd get a great amount of use out of it.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.06.2012 - 05:17
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.06.2012 at 04:49
I'm going to ask for that from my parents, and then ask forhttp://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAEB5E from my sorrounding family, (Aunts, grandma Uncles etc.) I play a lot of folk stuff, so I'd get a great amount of use out of it.

True, Australia is doing pretty well economically even though our government is spending huge amounts of money on pointless things and we'll probably end up in the global economic shitstorm sooner or later..

Acoustic Bass's are heaps of fun, I might look into getting one my self actually. It's pretty funny that you plan on bleeding every iota of cash from all your relatives .
20.06.2012 - 05:24
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Timmeh on 20.06.2012 at 05:17

Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.06.2012 at 04:49

True, Australia is doing pretty well economically even though our government is spending huge amounts of money on pointless things and we'll probably end up in the global economic shitstorm sooner or later..

Acoustic Bass's are heaps of fun, I might look into getting one my self actually. It's pretty funny that you plan on bleeding every iota of cash from all your relatives .

Bah, I feel bad enough, but I mean if my whole family pitches in like $20 a person I'd have that bass before I even get through my mom's side.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.06.2012 - 05:32
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.06.2012 at 05:24
Bah, I feel bad enough, but I mean if my whole family pitches in like $20 a person I'd have that bass before I even get through my mom's side.

We've successfully gotten this thread into the hot topics on the main page . Good luck on your quest for gold, I look forward to hearing your epic folk masterpieces .
20.06.2012 - 05:35
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Timmeh on 20.06.2012 at 05:32

Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.06.2012 at 05:24

We've successfully gotten this thread into the hot topics on the main page . Good luck on your quest for gold, I look forward to hearing your epic folk masterpieces .

Victory!

Thanks, hopefully I can pick up a new guitar soon, the bass can wait though!
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.06.2012 - 06:41
Mattybu

I would recommend Ibanez I've had mine for like a year and a half now and she is damn fine! damn fine
22.06.2012 - 19:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Out of those the Ibanez is the best. I had a G400 (so apparently a better version of the first guitar you posted) and it's good for beginners but it has a lot of flaws (the intonation on it is fucked and I can't fix it, and the top is too heavy and might make playing hard as the headstock always tends to fall to the floor). Plus the tone (at least on my G400) is not that good for metal, it's muffled on the bridge pickup, the neck pickup is pretty sweet but it's definitely not really made for metal, more like hard rock / blues / things like that.

I played a LP special and I would not recommend it to you either. However, I've only seen rave reviews of the RG321. It's not at all flashy but it does its job and it does it well.

Don't think you can cheap out by buying some shit guitar (options 1 and 3) and putting EMG's in it.. not everything is about the tone or pickups. The RG321 is the best option by far out of those, plus the pickups as far as I know are not even that bad for metal as Ibanez (and especially the RG product line) has almost exclusively guitars for metal.
22.06.2012 - 23:09
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Valentin B on 22.06.2012 at 19:58

Alright, as compared to nothing, this seems like a good guitar from reviews I've read. I've also been told by a good friend, who plays Buckethead like it's Smoke On The Water, that ESP's have fantastic quality, and a great metal crunch. I think it would be a great guitar, but what do you guys think?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-m-10-electric-guitar/h71350

Keep in mind, I'm still a new to guitar (just starting barre chords and tritones now) and I don't need something to shred on.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.06.2012 - 16:13
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Boxcar Willy on 22.06.2012 at 23:09

...that ESP's have fantastic quality, and a great metal crunch. I think it would be a great guitar, but what do you guys think?

I can vouch for LTD's as I have a LTD V-200 and its got a kick ass metal tone, though I primarily play my Jackson Kelly KE3. To be honest I think you should save a bit more and go the next level up in terms of price and thus quality. Buying a guitar in your current price range you're probably going to end up wanting an even better guitar eventually anyway, you'll be saving money in the long run.

I started off with a shitty Aldi supermarket (not sure if you have that store over there, its a German grocery store that sells non-grocery products promotionally) guitar pack, stuck with it until I got my Jackson. Unless raising enough cash is really hard, but my honest opinion is save an extra couple o hundred or nag relatives .
23.06.2012 - 17:20
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Timmeh on 23.06.2012 at 16:13

Written by Boxcar Willy on 22.06.2012 at 23:09

...that ESP's have fantastic quality, and a great metal crunch. I think it would be a great guitar, but what do you guys think?

I can vouch for LTD's as I have a LTD V-200 and its got a kick ass metal tone, though I primarily play my Jackson Kelly KE3. To be honest I think you should save a bit more and go the next level up in terms of price and thus quality. Buying a guitar in your current price range you're probably going to end up wanting an even better guitar eventually anyway, you'll be saving money in the long run.

I started off with a shitty Aldi supermarket (not sure if you have that store over there, its a German grocery store that sells non-grocery products promotionally) guitar pack, stuck with it until I got my Jackson. Unless raising enough cash is really hard, but my honest opinion is save an extra couple o hundred or nag relatives .

Hmm, well I don't play guitar as my main instrument either, I'm a bassist by trade, and I still am just learning.

right now I have a 1975 Hondo LP with a crooked neck. Maybe I'll look into jacksons, my bass is a Futura XL, and I love it.

I also should have said I want a fixed bridge, due to it being low hassle.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.06.2012 - 17:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-slxt-soloist-electric-guitar

I like this dinky in green, but if I get it at $500, then no acoustic bass for me :'(
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.06.2012 - 02:52
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.06.2012 at 17:40
I like this dinky in green, but if I get it at $500, then no acoustic bass for me :'(

Now you're talking, Jacksons are great man. Good idea going fixed bridge, I have a floyd rose on my Jackson it's god damn annoying. When I made the switch from my first cheapo guitar I was still relatively a learner to, being a learner shouldn't dissuade you from spending some cash on a kick ass guitar. As long as you have the interest and willingness to learn it will be a good investment, I actually couldn't believe how much easier playing the Jackson was compared to the 'Aldi Cheapo'. A better guitar will definitely improve your playing and rate of time it takes to improve.

Though as you're one of those bassist folk, if that's your forte maybe you shouldn't go all out on an electric. At the end of the day though the only thing that matters is that you're happy with the guitar you've purchased and are playing, which I don't think will be hard considering that 'thing' you're playing now!
24.06.2012 - 03:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Timmeh on 24.06.2012 at 02:52

Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.06.2012 at 17:40

Now you're talking, Jacksons are great man. Good idea going fixed bridge, I have a floyd rose on my Jackson it's god damn annoying. When I made the switch from my first cheapo guitar I was still relatively a learner to, being a learner shouldn't dissuade you from spending some cash on a kick ass guitar. As long as you have the interest and willingness to learn it will be a good investment, I actually couldn't believe how much easier playing the Jackson was compared to the 'Aldi Cheapo'. A better guitar will definitely improve your playing and rate of time it takes to improve.

Though as you're one of those bassist folk, if that's your forte maybe you shouldn't go all out on an electric. At the end of the day though the only thing that matters is that you're happy with the guitar you've purchased and are playing, which I don't think will be hard considering that 'thing' you're playing now!

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with that LTD M-10 in white, and I think I'll just buy it, rather than wait 3 months until my birthday. For that, I'll ask for some EMG's and a nice fuzz pedal

But yeah, I just played my Hondo... eugh... The thing's inotation is so off it's ridiculous. it's too bad, because I want to start recording soon.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.06.2012 - 03:11
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.06.2012 at 03:05
Yeah, I think I'm going to go with that LTD M-10 in white, and I think I'll just buy it, rather than wait 3 months until my birthday. For that, I'll ask for some EMG's and a nice fuzz pedal

I guess it's time now to...

28.08.2012 - 06:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Timmeh on 24.06.2012 at 03:11

Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.06.2012 at 03:05

I guess it's time now to...

Long time but...

I ended up getting the Rg321. Why? Because my local shop had it instock, and on sale for $250. Had to get it for that. Slapped some new strings and tuned her to Open C, now blasting out the doom >:D
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.08.2012 - 13:21
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.08.2012 at 06:54
I ended up getting the Rg321. Why? Because my local shop had it instock, and on sale for $250. Had to get it for that. Slapped some new strings and tuned her to Open C, now blasting out the doom >:D

Hell yeah man .
07.01.2019 - 21:40
Ieng3woo