Metal Storm logo
Pokemon

23.07.2012 - 13:27
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I see that there isn't a topic on Pokemon, so here it is.

Here you can discuss your opinions on Pokemon, from the games to the animation series.

Have fun...
23.07.2012 - 13:56
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

Lets get it started homies.
23.07.2012 - 17:20
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
I remember when season one of the animation series was aired here and everyone ( including me ) went nuts about pokemon, and started collecting anything pokemon related. That was back in 2000/2001. I haven't really followed much after season one. I've seen a few newer episodes, and I feel like the authors ran out of ideas for new pokemons after generation 2. I get the impression that most of the newer ones are created with the logic: "Lets take a random animal ( camel, whale, mole...) and make it shoot out random stuff ( lighting, fire, water, rainbows...)"
23.07.2012 - 17:39
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I have quite a few fuzzy Pikachus laying around I used to love the animated series and Pokemon card games (that got stolen from me, what a hidious bastard goes and steals a little girl's Pokemon cards ). I of course love the most Pikachu and also Raichu, Meow, Charizard, Ghastly, Squirtle and Psyduck.

PIKA PIKA!!!!
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
23.07.2012 - 18:24
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by AnGina-- on 23.07.2012 at 17:39

I have quite a few fuzzy Pikachus laying around I used to love the animated series and Pokemon card games (that got stolen from me, what a hidious bastard goes and steals a little girl's Pokemon cards ). I of course love the most Pikachu and also Raichu, Meow, Charizard, Ghastly, Squirtle and Psyduck.

PIKA PIKA!!!!

Okay PIKA PIKA! Wanna fight? eh? Where are your goddamn pokemons?

Rockets will kill you crackpots. Hell yeah.
23.07.2012 - 19:05
Mattybu
Written by Malphas on 23.07.2012 at 16:31

Like a month ago i downloaded a GBA emulator (the visual boy advance..jsut in case some1 is hit by nostalgia, just as i was ) and played through pokemon FireRed (i didn't catch all 150 but i beat gary and i'm the champion biatch xD)....the first game is the best...now there are like over 500 or idk exactly how many...but too many :S

There are now 649 Pokemon in total.

I am most likely the biggest Pokemon fan you will find on this site. I have put about 400+ hours into my main game, Pokemon Pearl, and have played at least one game from every generation when they came out. Sadly a lot of them are lost/stolen but these are the ones I still have a hold of:

Pokemon Blue (Game Boy Color) [only works in a Game Boy color for some reason, not in GBA]
Pokemon Yellow (Game Boy Color)
Pokemon Leafgreen (Game Boy Advance)
Pokemon Pearl (Nintendo DS)
Pokemon Heartgold (Nintendo DS)
Pokemon White (Nintendo DS)

And Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team for DS, which is a spinoff type game but was still actually very enjoyable.

My main accomplishments in Pokemon Pearl are my team of level 100's, although I have more than 6, and my shiny Pokemon I have caught. For those who aren't aware a shiny Pokemon is an extremely rare version of a normal Pokemon that is an alternate colour. During any wild encounter there is a 1 in 8,192 chance of whatever Pokemon you see being a shiny (extremely low). I have seen and caught 2 in this way. The other technique is calling chaining and raises the chances of seeing a shiny Pokemon if you can see the same Pokemon 40 times in a row. There is an item in the game called the Poke Radar to do this with, but it takes a long time and your chain can break at any given time meaning it requires patience. But due to this method I have acquired about 25 shiny Pokemon in total.

Here's an example, normal Charizard:

Shiny Charizard:

Pokemon games are some of the best games out there. There's a lot of value, a lot to do, and a lot of fun to be had.
23.07.2012 - 23:35
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 23.07.2012 at 18:24

Rockets will kill you crackpots. Hell yeah.

Man, you really don't like me, eh?

Written by Mattybu on 23.07.2012 at 19:05

Here's an example, normal Charizard:

Shiny Charizard:

Pokemon games are some of the best games out there. There's a lot of value, a lot to do, and a lot of fun to be had.

This is soooooo cool. Man, you're so wicked (in a good way). I haven't dealt with Pokemon for probably a decade now and your writing got me totally intrigued.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
23.07.2012 - 23:56
Baz Anderson
Staff
I am seriously into competitive Pokémon battling, mainly the VGC style (double battles). I travelled to Birmingham and Paris earlier in the year for official VGC tournaments and to Manchester this last weekend for another big tournament. They do some official tournaments over the wi-fi too. In March I came 178th out of almost 10,000 in the world and in the Spring Friendly tournament I came 45th out of over 3,000.

I'm into Pokémon way too much, hahaha.
24.07.2012 - 00:25
InnerSelf
proofread free
My little brother spends insane amounts of time on his Nintendo DS and on the laptop playing Pokemon Online, apparently he and his friend acquired some sort of high-status among the Pokemon community. I believe his friend has beaten the creator of the game or something like that and has ranked 1 in many tournaments. So yeah I'm kinda proud of him
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
24.07.2012 - 01:38
Mattybu
Written by Baz Anderson on 23.07.2012 at 23:56

I am seriously into competitive Pokémon battling, mainly the VGC style (double battles). I travelled to Birmingham and Paris earlier in the year for official VGC tournaments and to Manchester this last weekend for another big tournament. They do some official tournaments over the wi-fi too. In March I came 178th out of almost 10,000 in the world and in the Spring Friendly tournament I came 45th out of over 3,000.

I'm into Pokémon way too much, hahaha.

I don't do double battles... Singles is how I roll

What games did you play in the tournaments, DPP or B&W?
24.07.2012 - 02:05
Baz Anderson
Staff
It is always the latest games, so Black & White this year. Next year's tournaments will be with Black & White 2.

VGC uses double battles because they are much more fast-paced. A singles match can go on for an hour or so if you've got a couple of stallish steams going on. Double battles are usually fifteen minutes maximum. I like the different strategies and mechanics in double battles too such as spread damage moves and there's a lot more use of the move Protect. Doubles requires much more thinking and prediction.
24.07.2012 - 02:08
axelx666
Well when i saw this I KNEW I HAD TO REPLY TO IT!

i've watched all the pokemon series when i was a kid and saw the rise and fall of it..

i loved the old pokemon best, i've played all the GBA games

my favorite is: (believe it or not) is mudkip. i don't know why but he's so adorable and awesome

i liked digimon better then pokemon though..but they KILLED that show..i mean it's unwatchable now an days..

but i hate ash..i wish they'd get a new lead..the guy is practictally a furry! (no offense to you furries). it's just not right.

here's something for the nostalgia!

----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
24.07.2012 - 03:16
Thrashette
I was a huge fan of Pokemon back in the day. The original series was great, one of the things I really looked forward to after a day at school I lost interest in the games around Diamond/pearl though. I don't know if it's actually become a dead franchise just milking more money from fanboys or if I've grown up, but it just wasn't the same... The other ones I had were blue, yellow, gold, ruby, and soulsilver. I'm pretty sure I got a DS just for Soulsilver lol
Written by axelx666 on 24.07.2012 at 02:08

my favorite is: (believe it or not) is mudkip. i don't know why but he's so adorable and awesome

so i herd u liek mudkipz?
... I'm sorry. I'm aware that the meme's just as dead as this series, but I couldn't resist And I'm quite the fan of mudkip too lol
24.07.2012 - 04:44
Crucifux
Account deleted
Pokemon is my childhood
I own all the versions up until fourth gen, after that I only got the SoulSilver and White versions. Never was much into the cards, mostly cause my parents didn't like buying them for me, but I had a friend who had a whole binder of them complete with rare shiny cards.

I'm just going to throw this out here because I know this'll show up here at some point just like every other corner of the internet, but I can't stand it when people complain about how ugly the new pokemon are or how "unoriginal" they are.
24.07.2012 - 09:41
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by [user id=124301] on 24.07.2012 at 04:44

Pokemon is my childhood
I had a friend who had a whole binder of them complete with rare shiny cards.

That's show-off collection to impress everyone out there.

Way back then I use to collect WWE cards just to show my friends how fucking big fan of WWE i am and is more updated than my friends use to brag about it. I remember I use to call my friends at home, playing cards, defeating them and retain my number 1 title in my friend circle. But, mind you this was all when I was like um 5-8 yrs old I suppose. Now, it doesn't even matter to all those cards collector as it mere only a waste of fucking time. Back then, it was a huge competition.

About pokemon cards? I never understood what's their in that? except those really horrible flashy outlines, dark numbers and really extensive use of "yellow" colors that looks more of a "barbie girl" favorite playing cards than an usual Pokemon cards. I do however, love to watch Pokemon series and that too be only when I get a time. Indeed, it's a great cartoon.
24.07.2012 - 18:55
Lit.
Account deleted
Well it's about dang time.
24.07.2012 - 21:38
Mattybu
Written by Baz Anderson on 24.07.2012 at 02:05

It is always the latest games, so Black & White this year. Next year's tournaments will be with Black & White 2.

VGC uses double battles because they are much more fast-paced. A singles match can go on for an hour or so if you've got a couple of stallish steams going on. Double battles are usually fifteen minutes maximum. I like the different strategies and mechanics in double battles too such as spread damage moves and there's a lot more use of the move Protect. Doubles requires much more thinking and prediction.

Nice. And yeah, I know what you mean. When people run Skarmory and the like then it can be annoying. Or anything with Toxic really, cause then they'll just try and drain you down. I'm just not used to the uses of different moves and find it easier to look at a Pokemon on a singles basis. Like Starmie for example one of my favourites in singles, no idea whether Starmie would be useful or how to use it in doubles...

I can't wait for Black 2 and White 2... Although I want to pick up either Black or Platinum and get another playthrough in before the new games come out.
24.07.2012 - 21:39
Mattybu
P.S. my favourite Pokemon is Shuckle.

24.07.2012 - 21:43
Mattybu
Written by Thrashette on 24.07.2012 at 03:16

I don't know if it's actually become a dead franchise just milking more money from fanboys

From the perspective of a long time fan, well really since basically I've been playing these games long enough that I can't actually remember being alive without having some kind of Pokemon game, I would say Diamond and Pearl was one of the strongest generations and they are continually adding more and improving on the games. Sure I am probably a fanboy but they seem to still be making improvements while keeping the basic formula everyone loves. Which can be difficult to do in many different forms of entertainment.
25.07.2012 - 03:11
Thrashette
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 24.07.2012 at 09:41

About pokemon cards? I never understood what's their in that? except those really horrible flashy outlines, dark numbers and really extensive use of "yellow" colors that looks more of a "barbie girl" favorite playing cards than an usual Pokemon cards. I do however, love to watch Pokemon series and that too be only when I get a time. Indeed, it's a great cartoon.

I used to collect the cards. I never actually got into the trading card game, but I liked having the cards along just because I thought they were cool looking (and I think I had a problem with hoarding/collecting things when I was younger). I even had plastic cases for my rare ones and got photo album to put them in. I eventually decided it was a waste of money though lol Oh well, I'm sure I could sell them for quite a bit today if I really wanted to...
25.07.2012 - 03:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Thrashette on 25.07.2012 at 03:11
I'm sure I could sell them for quite a bit today if I really wanted to...

Absolutely you could. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of my collection so offhandedly back in the day only to find out years down the road I could have easily raked in over 500 bucks for my collection. What a royal piss-off that was. I had quite a few mint condition holographics - perhaps most impressively a first edition Mewtwo and Charizard. I remember also having an extremely rare trainer card as well... the name eludes me now, but I remember it was quite a coveted rare card in its time. Maybe it was like a holographic Gary card? Hm...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.07.2012 - 07:04
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I have about 800 cards, and played the games for hours as a kid, I loved 'em

My fav
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.07.2012 - 11:12
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.07.2012 at 07:04

I have about 800 cards, and played the games for hours as a kid, I loved 'em

My fav

I've only kept my shiny cards, but threw away or sold the rest.
TYRANITAR!!! such awesomeness! But a bitch to train in the games.
25.07.2012 - 11:27
CyberSymphony
Ollie
My favourite teams from the games

Pokemon Blue Team:

Charizard/Arcanine
Lapras
Jolteon
Hitmonlee
Dragonite
Sandslash
Alakazam/Mewtwo

Pokemon Silver Team:

Tyranitar
Lapras
Houndoom
Dragonite
Ampharos
Espeon

Pokemon Sapphire Team:

Blaziken
Gardevoir
Manetric
Sharpedo/Milotic
Salamence
Metang

Pokemon Diamond Team:

Infernape
Floatzel
Staraptor
Luxray
Lucario
Garchomp

Pokemon Black Team:

Eelectross
Chandelure
Braviary
Hydreigon
Mienshao
Carracosta
25.07.2012 - 15:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Fuck it, time to whip out my GBA.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.07.2012 - 16:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
How I loved Pokemon when I was 8-11 years old. I probably played on my gameboy at least 7 hours a day, for years! I started off with Blue and Yellow and bought Gold when it came. With Gold also came my bad ass reputation. I had 248 pokemons (and there's like 252 in Gold, right?) and was one of the few in the neighbourhood with a link cable. So I was like walking around the smaller kids, seeing what they had and could offer them whatever pokemon they wanted in return for one of theirs. Everyone knew who I was.

But it all ended when I was 11, suddenly for some reason it was totally uncool to play Pokemon, so I followed what everyone else was doing. Most guys started to skate, I discovered how great a band called Iron Maiden was.

Not just because of Pokemon, although it probably had some part in it, those days when I was around 10 years old were probably the best ones in my life. So far.
----
25.07.2012 - 20:50
Lit.
Account deleted
I don't think I've loved any video game (With the possible exception of Half-Life and onwards) as much as Pokemon. Pokemon Blue was one of the first games I played. So far I played Blue, Yellow, Crystal (I also own Gold and Silver but they don't work), Emerald, Firered, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold and White.
I loved the anime, but lost interest around the Johto arc. I watched a bit of the Diamond and Pearl arc, but it was just so flat compared to the early one (Although I did like Dawn's character a bit). I'm currently watching the Best Wishes! arc, and it is a hell of a lot better than the previous one. I adore Iris' character.
And my favorite pokemon is:
25.07.2012 - 20:57
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by [user id=101272] on 25.07.2012 at 20:50

I don't think I've loved any video game (With the possible exception of Half-Life and onwards) as much as Pokemon. Pokemon Blue was one of the first games I played. So far I played Blue, Yellow, Crystal (I also own Gold and Silver but they don't work), Emerald, Firered, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold and White.
I loved the anime, but lost interest around the Johto arc. I watched a bit of the Diamond and Pearl arc, but it was just so flat compared to the early one (Although I did like Dawn's character a bit). I'm currently watching the Best Wishes! arc, and it is a hell of a lot better than the previous one. I adore Iris' character.
And my favorite pokemon is:

Exactly the same as me, got bored with the series but still played the games.
25.07.2012 - 22:01
Warman
Erotic Stains
Now that I think of it, I actually have no idea what the rest of the world outside of Sweden thinks about the finnish language. Us Swedes though, many of us considers it to be the ugliest language on earth (sorry Finland, no offence ). So therefore this is a typical classic people play while being very drunk at parties and laugh their asses off:

----
27.07.2012 - 19:42
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
This subject for me is a growing hydrogen bomb....

Pokemon fanatic since 1998. I recollected the cards back in 2008 and still add to my collection now from time to time. It's a very serious collection, although i only collect the cards/characters that I genuinely do like, most of them which are the same Pokemon I used in the games. I'm thinking about listing my 1st edition base set cards simply because I'm not fully happy with the condition. It's that serious! I have some cards on my eBay right now! The last set I thought was disappointing bar the debut Black/White Kyurem Exe's. The couple of cards I brought were the Japanese Venusaur Ex, Zapdos Ex, Mewtwo Ex (Full Art), Kyurem Ex (Full Art) 1st edition. I can never seem to find a mint Sweepstakes promo Charizard at a sensible price all these years!

Out of all the games I played - I completed all of them perfectly with pretty much full pokedex, L.v. 100's and coverage....all except for that fucking Challenge Cup on Pokemon Stadium II on Round 2 mode.... Where slower pokemon paralyzed will attack first for no real legitamate reason and where fissure hits three times in a row. I can't seem to get my N64 working on my TV so I hope to try to save my Blue squad onto the game cartridge after my Gold team became deceased after something like 400 hours of work despit regaing them in someway by HeartGold.

Dragons were my allies at the time, some of the designs for them in the latter generations as with other pokemon types seem like 1upper repetitions. But these were my buddies,

Blue/Stadium I Squad:
BATHORY (Persian)/ ASMODEUS (Aerodactyl)/ SHIVA (Zapdos)
LEVIATHAN (Gyarados)
AZAZEL (Alakazam) (Perhaps my All-time favourite Sprite, It's just so manly!)
NERGAL (Nidoking) (Always undermimed and seen as an underdog, whilst ripping out a third of someones team!)/ MEGATON (Golem)
DRACONIAN (Dragonite)
DIABLOS (Charizard) (Both of my Gen I and II El 'Diablo's had very unique destructive movesets)

My Gold/ Stadium II Squad as something like this:
ALASTOR (Arcanine)/ DIABLOS (Charizard)/ DAMIEN (Houndoom)
RYUJIN (Kingdra)/ LEVIATHAN (Gyarados)
SUBUTAI (Machamp........Evil, Evil, EVIL!)/ NERGAL (Nidoking)/ GREYON (Kangaskhan)/ TYPHON (Steelix)
AZAZEL (Alakazam)
DRACONIAN (Dragonite)/ SHIVA (Zapdos)
BEHEMOTH (Tyranitar)

I'll have to pick up the Black and White sequels. HeartGold's Squad was pretty much all of those mixed with really only just also Electivire and this guy combined.....

My original starter from my very first game, and the best out of the three,

----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best