Metal Storm logo
Funeral doom

19.05.2006 - 08:49
Damnated
Churchburner
One of the most underground style's of metal, with very talented bands. I have been listening to a lot of funeral doom lately, and I really like it. The slowness and the atmosphere is just amazing. My fav bands from this genre would be Shape Of Despair, Nortt, Worship, Remembrence, Pantheist, Tyranny, Skepticism, just to mention the daily bands. What about you guys?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
19.05.2006 - 16:52
Kurzag
Account deleted
So far, the only Funeral Doom band I listen to is Shape Of Despair. Which is a fucking brilliant band. I have also heard Nortt, which sounds awesome. Funeral Doom have this dark and heavy atmostphere. I have to check out more, since Doom is the genre that i´m exploring now.
19.05.2006 - 17:30
Damnated
Churchburner
The deeper you dig, the more you stuck with this genre. This happened to me also, I was searching for x band, but now all I listen to is funeral doom.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
19.05.2006 - 21:41
Vunts
Add Thergothon to the list of your favourite bands. Cos you'll like em the moment your ears have the privilege. Plus they are the main influence in the genre. Too bad they broke up after their first CD
http://metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=259 is the thread for them.

I'm currently new to funeral doom, but all that will change in one years time as i will be plunging deep into the dephts of doom as i'm getting a good grade for that. So in short, funeral doom atm consists of Shape of Despair and Thergothon, but i have an urge to try out Pantheist before others.

Funeral doom is one of my favourite genres still. Even if i know very few bands, i am safe to say it's one of the most atmospheric genres of metal. And the emotion it portrays is only beatable by other doom genres. And i haven't heard a more depressing-depressing atmosphere than Shape of Despair is capable of creating. Sure, My Dying Bride - The Light At the End of the World (song) is my favourite melancholic-depressive song, but i'm listening to ...to Live For My Death... (Shape of Despair) atm and it's just plain awesome.

Basically the doom list goes for me:
Funeral doom
Death doom
Gothic doom
Drone doom
Traditional doom
I don't remember the few other genres that got left out, but they won't take funeral off the top, cos atm it's only there because of TWO bands. And would have been even if i had only heard one of either.
20.05.2006 - 04:47
Southern Wind
Account deleted
The latest Funeral Doom combo are CATACOMBS... they rule.
20.05.2006 - 13:34
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Just listened one very long song from Until Death Overtakes Me. Over 30 minutes
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
20.05.2006 - 13:44
Götter
Elite
Funeral doom is, well, the best style of music. Or on equal terms with pagan metal, although these styles are seriously difficult to compare. Anyway, what do I appreciate about FD? I can associate with it. It can be sad, longing and meditative, but also dark, hateful and utterly evil. And all of these things are a part of me. Yes, I am negative by default, but not because of the music I listen to. Actually it's this music that somewhat helps me get along, lets me know that there are people who have felt the same things and so I don't feel that alone. But musically the style is usually also at the top. Slow music seems to make it easier to perfect every single note.

Written by Vunts on 19.05.2006 at 21:41

Add Thergothon to the list of your favourite bands. Cos you'll like em the moment your ears have the privilege.

I wouldn't count on that. It took me quite a while to get used to that band's roughness when most other bands in this style are so refined.
20.05.2006 - 13:52
Vunts
Written by Götter on 20.05.2006 at 13:44

Written by Vunts on 19.05.2006 at 21:41

Add Thergothon to the list of your favourite bands. Cos you'll like em the moment your ears have the privilege.

I wouldn't count on that. It took me quite a while to get used to that band's roughness when most other bands in this style are so refined.

Well, that's just a personal preference of sorts. I basically adored the band since i heard the first seconds, and because they pretty much started the funeral doom genre, i may have a slightly overrated affection. But i don't mind people that don't feel the same way. I'm past the point where i want every last person to agree with me.
20.05.2006 - 14:56
Damnated
Churchburner
I have a Thergothon album, but it's a very hard material.
----

21.05.2006 - 17:53
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Entered this realm recently, haven't had a single breath till then. All bands I come across, are just amazing.. I need more, more, MORE!!

----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.05.2006 - 18:10
solitude-prod

SP. 005 Reido 2005 F:\all (Funeral Doom)
The first release of a young and creative band from Minsk (Belarus). Original and extraordinary funeral doom. A listener is being hunted by its darkness within the distance between the first and the last note, as it truly creates the horror of the Apocalypse. Both sludge and dark-ambient influences can be found there. Reido's music has no analogies neither in the band's native country nor in Russia, and it can easily compete with the leading standards of the West dark scene. "F\:all" has been released on a "gold" CD and includes a video clip of the main song on the album.

www.solitude-prod.com
----
https://solitude-prod.com - Solitude Productions - doom metal label
https://www.facebook.com/solitudeprod/ - Facebook
https://solitudeproductions.bandcamp.com/ - Bandcamp
https://bit.ly/solitudetube - YouTube channel
21.05.2006 - 20:32
Damnated
Churchburner
Sounds good, checking them out.
----

15.06.2006 - 14:05
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Ill have to check them out now. Also, check the French band Monolithe. Great funeral doom band - 2 albums, both 50+ minute, single song albums.
15.06.2006 - 19:42
heresiarch
Forever Dead
This is genre I listen everyday. I have collected very nice pile of funeral doom albums and I love'm all except for one Nortt , after bands like Skepticism,Pantheist or Shape Of Despair it sounds too raw and black for my taste,I don't hate Nortt but it goes on the second place
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

15.06.2006 - 19:51
Damnated
Churchburner
Well, Skepticism and Shape Of Despair play the more beautiful part of this genre, and almost every other band plays 'ugly' funeral doom
----

15.06.2006 - 19:56
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=5399] on 15.06.2006 at 14:05

Also, check the French band Monolithe. Great funeral doom band - 2 albums, both 50+ minute, single song albums.

This band is awsome, judging by the samples, but do you have any idea from where I can get the albums?
----

15.06.2006 - 20:07
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 15.06.2006 at 19:56

Also, check the French band Monolithe. Great funeral doom band - 2 albums, both 50+ minute, single song albums.

This band is awsome, judging by the samples, but do you have any idea from where I can get the albums?

I own Monolithe I and it's pretty brilliant, I can upload it for you as you had game me awesome stuff
15.06.2006 - 20:09
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=5080] on 15.06.2006 at 20:07

Written by Damnated on 15.06.2006 at 19:56

I own Monolithe I and it's pretty brilliant, I can upload it for you as you had game me awesome stuff

I'd be very happy if you could do that, thanx !
----

15.06.2006 - 20:43
Götter
Elite
Written by Damnated on 15.06.2006 at 19:51

Well, Skepticism and Shape Of Despair play the more beautiful part of this genre, and almost every other band plays 'ugly' funeral doom

I disagree. Besides, funeral doom bands cannot be divided into just two categories. I've tried that and failed. Not many bands in this style sound overly similar to others, most of them are unique.

The most narrow categorization I could come up with would be:
beautiful (skepticism, shape of despair, pantheist)
dark (nortt, wormphlegm, evoken)
apocalyptic (thergothon, tyranny, catacombs)
undefinable (esoteric, fungoid stream, hierophant)
15.06.2006 - 20:57
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Götter on 15.06.2006 at 20:43

I disagree. Besides, funeral doom bands cannot be divided into just two categories. I've tried that and failed. Not many bands in this style sound overly similar to others, most of them are unique.

I quite agree with this categorization, but Wormphlegm is apocalyptic all the way, the music is like a musical hell.
----

15.06.2006 - 22:52
Southern Wind
Account deleted
well, after all the ONLY element that defines Funeral Doom is slowness, nothing more... it ranges from the ultra-hopeless, nihilist Thergothon to the ultra-"religious" Pantheist (specially with "Amartia")
16.06.2006 - 00:03
Götter
Elite
Written by Damnated on 15.06.2006 at 20:57

Written by Götter on 15.06.2006 at 20:43

I quite agree with this categorization, but Wormphlegm is apocalyptic all the way, the music is like a musical hell.

Nah, the apocalyptic sound means something else. Okay, I must admit that Wormphlegm wasn't the best example for the "dark" category, they are far from being as overwhelmingly black as Evoken or the likes, but they certainly aren't apocalyptic. Maybe "minimalistic" would be a good fifth category, to include bands like Skepticism and Until Death Overtakes Me and then also Wormphlegm?

beautiful (shape of despair, pantheist, mournful congregation)
dark (nortt, evoken, of darkness)
minimalistic (skepticism, until death overtakes me, wormphlegm)
16.06.2006 - 00:20
Southern Wind
Account deleted
...anyone into Comatose Vigil??? they had became one of my favourite Doom Metal bands lately... they hail from Russian and play some ultra oppressive Funeral Doom, not depressive but so damn heavy, it's like the perfect soundtrack for totally nihilist world... their album "Not A Gleam Of Hope" (which I think is the only they had released) is outstanding....
16.06.2006 - 10:05
Damnated
Churchburner
I have 'Not A Gleam Of Hope' from Comatoze Vigil, but I never listened to it, I'm just not in the mood for a discovery.
----

16.06.2006 - 19:58
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I think that we need some serious discuss what are the real characteristics of funeral doom

Just being slow is not correct definition,there's got be alot more
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

17.06.2006 - 10:35
Vunts
Quote:
Funeral Doom
Hearse We use the term Funeral Doom to describe the most extreme split off of Death/Doom. These bands have taken the slowness and heaviness of Doom-metal to new extremes. Generally, the bands create very distorted and depressive yet dreamy music. Grunts or some totally distored version of that are also frequently used. These are the extremists when it comes to slowness and heaviness. The term comes forth from the way the music sounds as if it would fit a funeral or funeral proccession (often moving at the pace of a funeral march).
Examples: Skepticism, Shape of Despair, Thergothon, Funeral.

That information is taken from www.doom-metal.com

But i really don't know how to characterize doom metal, i just know when a band plays it for most of the time. Well...most of the part that i quoted was what i believe also, but i don't agree with
Quote:
The term comes forth from the way the music sounds as if it would fit a funeral or funeral proccession

The music is simply too heavy, so i don't like to think of it as a funeral music. The name is alright...but...god damnet. I'll go now.
17.06.2006 - 15:43
marinBG
I don't know... I really can't get music that is so slow... I just don't have the patience to listen to this. I don't know how you guys do it...
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
17.06.2006 - 15:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Well, I don't really 'listen' to it. Maybe sounds weird, but you should try it. Put on a Funeral Doom record (recommending Shape Of Despair-Angel's Of Distress) and lie down. Think of a black hole.. think of empty space.. in other words, enter the void.. relax.. and then you will feel what is great about Funeral Doom..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
17.06.2006 - 18:25
marinBG
yep... maybe that's a good idea I'll try it... a new approach is always nice and I never though of the fact that I have one single approach of listening to music... putting it on amd carefully listen, headbang or sing along....
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
18.06.2006 - 15:49
Götter
Elite
Written by Vunts on 17.06.2006 at 10:35

The music is simply too heavy, so i don't like to think of it as a funeral music. The name is alright...but...god damnet. I'll go now.

Too heavy to be funeral music? Organ can be very-very heavy and not only in the case of Skepticism or metal music in general. Really powerful church organs are awesome instruments and make very heavy sounds.