Metal Storm logo
The Religion and Spirituality Thread

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 19.05.2006 - 18:25
As has been pointed out in other, more specific threads, such as those concerning either Christianity, Islam or Judaism; I have decided to get things going with this one, a general one. A thread where the concepts of religion and spirituality can be discussed openly, in all their grandeur. In other words, there are no specifics here. No partiqular topic that must be adhered to, other than the wide, guiding tense of Religion and Spirituality

So, what are examples of things that could and should be discussed? Well, it's up to you!

What is the nature of life? What is the nature of God? Is there a heaven, or a hell? An existance of an after life? What is the soul? Why are we here?

You get the idea. Relate these questions and others like them -similar to them- to yourself and what you feel about life, death; and existance.

EDIT: I suppose I should make it clearer, that this thread is designed for discussion and debate, by those members of Metalstorm who are not affiliated with any religion or spiritual path in partiqular.

Debate, is ofcourse welcome, but argument, is not

Cheers.
21.05.2011 - 19:14
Slayer666
Written by Dane Train on 15.06.2009 at 02:04

So the virus just decided to up and leave my body?

Maybe.

If I only saw this happen once I sure could try to explain it away. Maybe a second healing I could still dismiss with "oh, science will find an answer one day" or something to that effect. But when I have seen healings over and over again, including the complete disappearance of cancer, and doctors have no explanation, the miraculous is a logical choice for me.

Oh, and I by no means think I am more important than anyone else. If anything, my healings are a humbling experience not an ego boost.

Dane, I want to ask you something.
Is this event the reason you became religious, or were you like that already?
If you were, what made you reach that decision? Was it some unfortunate event like the one you just described, or was it something else?
Btw, I'm only asking because I'm curious, I've got intention of starting an argument/discussion or something.
23.05.2011 - 12:31
Sophist
I like religion, especially the polytheistic ones.
24.05.2011 - 19:25
Guib
Thrash Talker
ZZz...

Quote:
In the name of the father, son and holy spirit. Amen.
- Forgive me father for I have sinned, I have done terrible things.
- We all stray from the path of the lords sometimes, child, but with penance you will find your way again.
- Will you help me father?
- Of course child.
- Will you pray for me?
- Yes
- WILL YOU FUCK ME !!!!
*Spawn of Possession - Church Of Deviance*
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.05.2011 - 05:37
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I will have to sit down for a day and read this whole interesting thread.
30.07.2011 - 21:13
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by kokosho on 09.04.2011 at 01:07

think religion is matter of faith and I can't put my faith in science cuz science usually force you to believe in things 1+1=2 there isn't any other possibility while religion is full of possibilities sure people believe in science cuz they "know" it's true and they know it cuz there's a proof but there's not any proof that god exists that's why it is called faith

I would just like to point out that the statement 1+1=2 is not strictly speaking a scientific one, it is a mathematical one. Science uses empiricism to arrive at theories and conclusions, where as mathematics uses logic only, no empiricism involved.

Written by kokosho on 09.04.2011 at 01:07

there's not any proof that god exists that's why it is called faith

There can be no scientific proof of the existence of the supernatural. Science makes no comment on anything other than the material world. Any argument for or against the exitence of a deity is necessarily a philosophical one.
24.08.2011 - 10:25
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
For the past year I've become more and more open to a lot of things you might call 'supernatural' and that have indeed been quite strange. I am not going to explain them here. More important is the change in mindset I found in myself. I found out that these strange things can happen and that, being the skeptical person that I am, wouldn't really need any proof.
It doesn't need proof if you completely trust the person that shares these experiences with you. Why would you need to proof for something that someone really experienced as true and that you can't explain otherwise? I learned that this does not matter. I'm not a scientist. And maybe it would actually hurt the person who trusts you his or her experiences (You deny the existence of something that may have been a very emotional experience for someone). How can you tell if these aren't true if you haven't experienced them yourself?
Just as Dane Train tells us about his healing and dropping of the fever. It is enough proof for himself for his religion. And it actually doesn't really matter what other people think about this.
Everyone has his/her own truth and own reality that is created by all the experiences (this might be called 'proof' if these are your experiences) you've had in your life, together with a few set things at birth.
Why should I complain about some of these experiences if the person in question isn't aggressively trying to convert people or using it in any other way that might hurt or damage people?
Of course, it's not really a bad thing if you really, really want to share the things you experienced with someone else, trying to convince this person of doing the same thing/taking the same path.
I remember my enthusiasm after the first few times with psychedelics. I was so overcome with joy and excitement that I really would want others to experience the same thing. But it just doesn't work that way. You can't push someone for something like that. They will make their own decision and if they will feel the need for it, they will encounter it anyway in some way in the future.
Just as the experiences of my girlfriend, whom I completely trust, made her who she is today. Although I don't really understand certain things and others are really hard to comprehend, I believe whatever she says about these things. And trust me, she isn't someone who would tell anyone about these kind of things, she's actually afraid people won't believe her. She's a very sincere person.
08.04.2012 - 15:45
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Happy Easter!
22.02.2014 - 05:15
I have no religion, I'm an atheist.
09.03.2016 - 21:17
Enteroctopus
As far as religions go Buddhism is my favorite. That's not to say I'm a Buddhist, but I feel like if I were to become a Buddhist I could easily continue observing the universe from a scientific perspective. There is no God to believe in, for example. While there are some sects that are very much into statues and deities and the like, there are others which are much more minimalistic. It's quite a diverse religion, and the only consequence of screwing it up is you get to come back and try again!

It's like playing Nintendo with an infinite lives code. Eventually you will beat it.