Metal Storm logo
Kyuss

Original post

Posted by John Barleycorn, 21.05.2006 - 01:41
Well, this is one of the originators, if not THE originator of stoner rock. You just got to love their blues influence and the great amount of groove they have. Also, Garcia´s vocals are fucking sweet. And so on...
11.10.2010 - 23:44
Stigmatized
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.10.2010 at 03:48

I keep on wondering why people keep on calling the album Kyuss L Welcome To Sky Valley" is it because of the cover art? Look on the side of the album and it is clear it is called Kyuss. Even the band says so in loads of interview. "Welcome To Sky Valley" isn't even an unofficial subtitle

It says "Welcome to Sky Valley" on a big sign right on the front of the album cover, it's pretty obvious why it would be misinterpreted as the title.
15.10.2010 - 00:14
RobertNowhere

Absolutely one of my fave all time metal bands...or stoner rock, whatever you want to call it...fans of Kyuss should check out SkyGrazer...maybe even Zoroaster...
----
http://robertnowhere.blogspot.com
15.10.2010 - 13:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by RobertNowhere on 15.10.2010 at 00:14

Absolutely one of my fave all time metal bands...or stoner rock, whatever you want to call it...fans of Kyuss should check out SkyGrazer...maybe even Zoroaster...

I've heard Zoroaster, good stuff, but who're SkyGrazer? They don't seem to exist o.O
20.11.2010 - 18:48
RobertNowhere

Oh geez, sorry...i shouldve written SUNgrazer...i gotta stop poking smot....
----
http://robertnowhere.blogspot.com
20.11.2010 - 23:36
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Written by Stigmatized on 11.10.2010 at 23:44

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.10.2010 at 03:48

I keep on wondering why people keep on calling the album Kyuss L Welcome To Sky Valley" is it because of the cover art? Look on the side of the album and it is clear it is called Kyuss. Even the band says so in loads of interview. "Welcome To Sky Valley" isn't even an unofficial subtitle

It says "Welcome to Sky Valley" on a big sign right on the front of the album cover, it's pretty obvious why it would be misinterpreted as the title.

Yeah, it's of course a mistake to name it like that but I can totally understand when people get confused about that title. And I was among them.

My favourite song from Kyuss at the moment is "Phototropic", this slow buildup is just marvelous. And even the lyrics are pure gold.
20.11.2010 - 23:55
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
And, if I remember correctly, it was even named "Welcome to Sky Valley" in their band profile on this site. Seems like it's fixed now
23.11.2010 - 20:00
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Listening to Freedom Run right now and can honestly say that I consider Kyuss to be the best rock band ever (although not my personal favourite), or the coolest one, at least. Who's with me?
26.11.2010 - 03:49
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
They're definitely in my top 5 favorite bands overall. I listen to one of their albums almost every day.
21.04.2011 - 00:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
So what you're saying is that Kyuss is one of those "get high" bands? if so, then i'd totally go to a show of theirs in Germany in August.
22.04.2011 - 11:26
baldur

One of those get high bands for sure!
22.04.2011 - 23:54
Balthazine

@John Barleycorn I totally agree man. They are easily one of the best stoner rock bands to ever lived. I like to call them "Desert Rock or Desert Metal" because hey, what do you think of when you listen to their music? Deserts right? At least that's what I think of, which could be in part to their self titled album cover and their many "desert music parties" that they'd have in the desert.

One of my favorites. I was very happy when I heard they reformed and are now active again, under the new name of "Kyuss Lives".

Their self-titled (commonly known as "Welcome to Sky Valley") is a masterpiece of an album.

Just too bad Josh Holmes didn't rejoin them when they reformed, but oh well. At least Garcia is still the singer, it honestly would have not been Kyuss without his signature vocal style.

*puts on some Supa Scoopa and Might Scoop and holds onto my chair as I reach that climatic solo after the pause halfway through the song* One of the most beautiful moments in music history, when Josh starts up that killer solo in this song.
----
Sometimes in metal they have called me:
The Minneapolis Metal Music Examiner -I write articles on metal in the MN area for Examiner.com
The Metal Detector -A history of digging up old forgotten metal bands
Thrash Master -Famous for my Walls O' Thrash
06.05.2011 - 06:22
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Dangerboner on 20.11.2010 at 23:55

And, if I remember correctly, it was even named "Welcome to Sky Valley" in their band profile on this site. Seems like it's fixed now

it was referred to repeatedly as such in Decibel mag when they inducted it into their Hall of Fame or whatever, and none of the band members said anything about the title, confirming or correcting them.

still prefer Blues for the Red Sun, though.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.05.2011 - 10:17
Sonic MrSumo

Seeing these guys tomorrow night...sweet!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
10.05.2011 - 15:30
Sonic MrSumo

Written by Sonic MrSumo on 06.05.2011 at 10:17

Seeing these guys tomorrow night...sweet!

One of the best gigs I've ever been to!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
14.05.2011 - 12:02
terrorist

I am not thrilled about this band but the song Green Machine is killer!
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
12.06.2011 - 16:25
truenoacero

This was the first stoner band that i listened and they're great! I like a lot the tuning of the guitar with all that distortion and the bass of Scott Reeder. I recommend it for everyone
11.07.2011 - 10:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I'm catching them in the beginning of August in Dortmund, the ticket price was ridiculous (34 euros) but i'm quite pumped!
08.09.2011 - 03:18
Mothman

My favorite album from Kyuss is ...And the Circus Leaves Town (1995). My favorite song by Kyuss is "Hurricane." I can hear a bit of Blues in plenty of their songs.
04.08.2013 - 22:21
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Its sad to see that MS missed the news about Kyuss Lives, now Vista Chino, and the news about their new album coming out by the end of august , already have a single released , all details in here http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=190915

Looking forward to hear the album, although am sure that they cant make something groundbreaking without Josh Homme