04. Until Our Poison Devours Us
05. Crown

Disc II
01. The Inner Word
02. Serpent Silence
03. Golden Light
04. JHWH

Additional info
Recorded at Woodshed Studio, Germany in February 2013.
Additional recordings at Sanktum Studio, Switzerland in 2012 and 2013.

Staff review by
Ilham
Rating:
Extreme metal Easter eggs hunt. Can you find them all?

Read more ››
published 06.12.2014 | Comments (38)

Here's one of the few albums from this year that's actually deserving of all the hype it's been getting. The sophomore effort from this Swiss foursome is amazingly detailed and incredibly varied in its songwriting. At times takes a slow and trancelike black metal approach, with surprisingly beautiful solos to accompany. At others, pounds you into dust with a furious death metal crunch, and at other moments still is extremely relaxing in its attention to melody and atmosphere. A powerful blend of personalities, and a worthy addition to any extreme metal fan's musical library.

Perhaps one could say the diversities are... a contradiction?

Apothecary's picks | More picks ››

Found in 23 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 88   Visited by: 482 users
11.09.2014 - 01:41
Rating: 10
mz
Checked a few tracks and it sounds good but I have to sleep now.
What genre is this exactly?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
20.11.2014 - 12:45
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by mz on 11.09.2014 at 01:41

Late quoting, but for me it's blackened death with some prog or avant-garde thrown in. A lot of people call them the Swiss Behemoth, and definitely have points in common but I find Schammasch much more interesting and complex. Took me a while to get into them until I saw them live, they're super tight
20.11.2014 - 12:51
Rating: 9
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Vombatus on 20.11.2014 at 12:45

Late quoting, but for me it's blackened death with some prog or avant-garde thrown in. A lot of people call them the Swiss Behemoth, and definitely have points in common but I find Schammasch much more interesting and complex. Took me a while to get into them until I saw them live, they're super tight

That sounds interesting. I've been so terribly disappointed by Behemoth these years I wouldn't mind listening to a better version of them .
20.11.2014 - 13:00
mz
Written by Vombatus on 20.11.2014 at 12:45

Written by mz on 11.09.2014 at 01:41

thank you. I actually forgot to check the rest of the album until you gave this reply. Will give my opinion on the whole thing soon :d
----
22.11.2014 - 01:42
mz
Just finished my first spin and holy shit. I'm tired of saying that an album is awesome these days.
At times, it sounds like orthodox BM gone death metal and progressive. Great build up and sense of integrity, while also keeping songs divers and different from each other. Production is also very fitting. It passes much faster than what you expect for an album with the length of 85 minutes, and managed to keep me interested for the whole duration of record.
Very mature and accomplished. My only complain is the extremely short appearance of (flamenco?) clean guitar on the first track, which is annoying as fuck, but lasts less than one minutes.
Thanks Vombatus for your late reply
----
22.11.2014 - 04:56
Diverge
Mz rates a 9 => checks out immediately.
23.11.2014 - 03:28
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by mz on 22.11.2014 at 01:42

Thanks Vombatus for your late reply

Always good to share good stuff with people

I'd also make a similar analysis to yours, would even say i get much more Secrets of The Moon (for song structure, build-ups) and DsO (slow spoken words parts) vibes for this release, compared to their first album that is pure second rate Behemoth worship. And yeah, the 85 minutes pass so fast, I especially like the long instrumental parts like on the end of The Inner Word. Was a great surprise for me, definitely among the best of 2014 I listened to.
23.11.2014 - 11:52
mz
Written by Vombatus on 23.11.2014 at 03:28

Always good to share good stuff with people

I'd also make a similar analysis to yours, would even say i get much more Secrets of The Moon (for song structure, build-ups) and DsO (slow spoken words parts) vibes for this release, compared to their first album that is pure second rate Behemoth worship. And yeah, the 85 minutes pass so fast, I especially like the long instrumental parts like on the end of The Inner Word. Was a great surprise for me, definitely among the best of 2014 I listened to.

I'm not familiar with Secrets of The Moon but obviously agree with you about DsO comparison, not only for the spoken words, but also the guitar work. The good thing is that Schammasch distinguishes itself from the other 10 million DsO clowns making orthodox black metal music these day.

In addition, I get empyrium vibe from those clean vocals
----
24.11.2014 - 18:37
mz
Damn, been listening to this constantly and it gets better each time. At this point, I would say it's my 2nd favorite record of year behind Qualeaceans (but that's totally diffrent record, so cant compare them), beating Emptiness and Darkspace.
----
25.11.2014 - 02:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I suppose I should listen to this seeing as how mz won't shut up about it =P
25.11.2014 - 02:04
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 25.11.2014 at 02:02

That was my thinking, but I honestly don't get his excitement. It's a very solid album, but I just didn't find anything special about it (sorry Mahdi, please don't murder me)
25.11.2014 - 02:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 25.11.2014 at 02:04

That was my thinking, but I honestly don't get his excitement. It's a very solid album, but I just didn't find anything special about it (sorry Mahdi, please don't murder me)

At the very least I can say I like the cover art (although it's a little cliche these days).
25.11.2014 - 02:23
mz
Written by Alex F on 25.11.2014 at 02:04

Written by Guest on 25.11.2014 at 02:02

Yeah that's how I feel about The Great Old Ones =p
but seriously, I agree that this is not be the most original album ever, but that's hardly a problem. I have hardly been moved by music this much recently.
----
25.11.2014 - 05:13
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Yeah mz is speaking sooo well of this. i checked a song on yt and closed midways. Perhaps I should listen to the whole thing before giving up though
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
25.11.2014 - 18:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Damn, I'm 100% behind Mahdi with this. This is nothing short of spectacular for me. I was expecting some generic French Orthodox Omega worship for some reason but it's really not (though no doubt there's some of DsO's influence here but where isn't there?). I'm really glad some bands are realising that you can inject a deathy, black metal aesthetic into music without having to play at a constant fast and punishing pace which lets you do so much more with what's available to you. Because of that this album utterly reeks of moody atmosphere, variety, subtle (and not so subtle) melody, nuance, generally just very dynamic compositional skill and attention to detail. It somehow never gets boring despite being nearly 90 minutes long (take note Spectral Lore). Little details really make it stand out too, like hidden acoustic guitars hidden underneath heavier moments, like that flamenco-ish bit mz mentioned, sneaky little electronic textures where it would never be expected, gorgeous Gregorian chants - not original but used in a way that doesn't even seem to imply ominousness like other bands usually do - rewarding euphoric melancholy, and at times it sounds like you're listening to super-heavy atmospheric sludge, and other times something straight off a Triptykon album. It even has a sort of drum solo at one point. How often does that happen in black metal? Works really well in establishing tension too.

To me this sort of does for black metal what the new Emptiness does for death metal, and is probably rivalling it for AotY. I guess I can see the Behemoth comparison, but this to me is just more of a reminder of how totally lacking in feeling The Satanist was.
25.11.2014 - 20:01
Ilham
Giant robot
Monotheist #2 <3. If I feel the same way about it after a couple weeks, this could be my second 9 in a year. Woop woop.
25.11.2014 - 20:51
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 25.11.2014 at 18:46

(though no doubt there's some of DsO's influence here but where isn't there?)

There's a LOT in my opinion, not that I'm complaining .
25.11.2014 - 20:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 25.11.2014 at 20:51

There's a LOT in my opinion, not that I'm complaining .

Yeah probably. At no point did it feel rip-off-y like many other bands though =3
25.11.2014 - 21:45
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 25.11.2014 at 20:53

Yeah probably. At no point did it feel rip-off-y like many other bands though =3

Indeed, funny how it can be dominant and still be discreet enough to just pass off as "inspiration'" rather than "worship".
25.11.2014 - 21:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 25.11.2014 at 21:45

Indeed, funny how it can be dominant and still be discreet enough to just pass off as "inspiration'" rather than "worship".

I guess because it's not wall-to-wall dissonance like a lot of bands seem to favour. I could think of this an expansion of DsO's more contemplative side.
25.11.2014 - 22:05
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 25.11.2014 at 21:49

I guess because it's not wall-to-wall dissonance like a lot of bands seem to favour. I could think of this an expansion of DsO's more contemplative side.

That and the vocals and the way they're delivered when they lean on the bm side, plus the discrete choirs. First attempt at genre labeling, brace yourselves, this is funny: progressive blackened death?
25.11.2014 - 22:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 25.11.2014 at 22:05

That and the vocals and the way they're delivered when they lean on the bm side, plus the discrete choirs. First attempt at genre labeling, brace yourselves, this is funny: progressive blackened death?

I was gonna go with crabcore but that sounds better.
25.11.2014 - 23:03
Rating: 8
Paz
Elite
That crabcore tag sounds promising. High hopes for this.
25.11.2014 - 23:14
Ilham
Giant robot
Okay, I'm obsessed with this. Fav'ed and upgraded to 9.
25.11.2014 - 23:16
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Such hype =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
25.11.2014 - 23:20
Ilham
Giant robot
When it comes from me, it's real, I don't oversell things often .
26.11.2014 - 00:38
mz
Written by Ilham on 25.11.2014 at 23:20

Yeah me too :p
----
26.11.2014 - 01:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 25.11.2014 at 23:20

And let's be honest, it's rare we both hype the same thing so that must mean this is the real thing.
26.11.2014 - 02:03
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 25.11.2014 at 23:16

Such hype =P

Much boring.
26.11.2014 - 04:43
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 26.11.2014 at 02:03

Written by Karlabos on 25.11.2014 at 23:16