Metal Storm logo
Metal Storms Genre Experts

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 20.02.2007 - 21:45
As this site seems to be growing more and more the amount of information of Metal seems to be growing as well. With so much new knowledge floating about sometimes things can get confusing. This seems especially true when it comes to understanding genres of Metal, even more so when it is a genre one is not familiar with.

What I am suggesting is Metal Storm establishes some sort of Expert Area. There are numerous members on this site, who, I would say, are experts in certain fields of Metal. Why not tap into these sources?!

Here is something that comes to mind as an example? Let's say there is someone who wants to get into the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. What albums would they want to check out first? What bands are most important to hear? What is the basic description and history of that genre?

Where can someone get that sort of information? If Metal Storm had someway to use the experts here to create something like this, the site would have a fantastic addition.

So it is just a concept. What do you all think about it? Who are the experts here for the different genres? What could be done?
10.03.2007 - 11:04
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 10.03.2007 at 03:51

Well instead of talking about what won't work, let's focus on what will work. It sounds like many people are in favor of having some sort of expert resource available here at Metal Storm. How about instead of people just voting, because it could turn into a popularity contest, how about members suggest their recommendations, with reasoning, and the moderators go from there. And by reasoning, more than just "Metalheadsoandso knows a lot about Black Metal and is uber necro!"

Unfortunately you guys force me to think that in the end this is only a status issue for you Instead of talking about what won't work, lets focus on what will work.. How about writing an article to prove your expertice?! So far I haven't seen a lot of effort in that field from you.
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
10.03.2007 - 11:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I agree with Angelique, theres absolutely no way of proving who should be an official expert, other than judging from articles and reviews and how well they can back up there statements, you can usually tell a reliable recommendation resource from how well there reviews/articles are written, or whos full of sh*t.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.03.2007 - 11:21
wrathchild
Staff
Yeah, writing an article is also what I suggested. IMO, it is the best thing to do as an article is (often) commented and when something is wrong, many people will notice that and suggest their own corrections. Of course that doesn't mean the autthor was wrong but then he/she can prove it to the others by replying, etc. So in fact, it's better than a voting system, and somewhat close to the "thread" system suggested by Paganblood.

Then, I'm not totally opposed to having genre experts but the idea should be developped, or else it's just a matter of having another title, like Angie said.
Or you could simply change your custom title, signature or personal text to mention that you consider yourself an expert in a given genre and that you would be happy to answer everyone's questions about it.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
10.03.2007 - 18:06
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Angelique on 10.03.2007 at 11:04

Unfortunately you guys force me to think that in the end this is only a status issue for you Instead of talking about what won't work, lets focus on what will work.. How about writing an article to prove your expertice?! So far I haven't seen a lot of effort in that field from you.

I never said anything about this being a status issue. Nor have I said that I am an expert in an field of metal. Ozman commented that I would be for Prog, but I never claimed to be. Would you like me to write articles of Prog Rock and Prog Metal?
----
(space for rent)
10.03.2007 - 20:08
Angelique
Bitchy Moderator
Elite
Yes I would
----
I have more faith in my plumber than I do the eternal being. Plumbers do a good job. They keep the shit flowing.
-C.Bukowski
10.03.2007 - 22:26
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I don't think that we should create a section for genre experts here on Metal Storm. It would only lead to elitism, and I detest elitism. What I predict will happen is that when a newcomer asks a genre expert about something, the expert's response, as he has formed an ego from being considered a genre expert, will be "LOL U SUCK. YOU DONT KNOW METAL NOOB." This situation will most likely happen when somebody disagrees with the expert. This has already happened to me. I consider myself an expert on avant garde metal, and I wrote an article about avant garde metal. This article was very successful, and as you know, with success comes ego. When somebody disagreed with me about what the article contained, I would use extreme sarcasm, claiming that the person who disagreed with me hated my article or something along those lines.

To make a long story short, no, we shouldn't have a section for genre experts.
10.03.2007 - 23:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Just because you are easily affected by appreciation doesn't mean someone like ME would. (Yes. Sarcasm. )

You might be right. But then again, not everybody will, me thinks. Lot's of people come to me with their question regarding metal. I should ask my friends to be 100% sure, but I highly doubt they'd say I have an ego. Also my chance to 'Elite' didn't make me behave differently. At least, I hope not.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.07.2007 - 05:32
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
I've read this thread and i still don't find it useful, if u are interested in one genre then go do research, ask people, google it, whatever. Why would we need a so called expert to tell you about bands in a certain genre? This is so likely to be something subjective because music is something that everybody likes and some might disagree on certain bands. From my point of view this is a bad idea. Let people read about bands, genres in threads about them, but don't put people say which are good and bad, because this depends of each of us to tell.
17.08.2007 - 14:45
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by [user id=2267] on 26.07.2007 at 05:32

I've read this thread and i still don't find it useful, if u are interested in one genre then go do research, ask people, google it, whatever. Why would we need a so called expert to tell you about bands in a certain genre? This is so likely to be something subjective because music is something that everybody likes and some might disagree on certain bands. From my point of view this is a bad idea. Let people read about bands, genres in threads about them, but don't put people say which are good and bad, because this depends of each of us to tell.

I mostly agree, this expert stuff would do more ill than good.

Anyway, I think that it would be great to have articles, as suggested above, about all genres. Yes that represents a lot of work, so who will do it? I suppose Marcel could write one about thrash. Death metal has been discussed enough, Industrial and Black have a bit of their own... But prog ? doom ? ... others ...

Two other ideas :
1) if you all really want experts, the staff could create a section with a 'whom to ask about' stuff, with a list of metalstormer knowledgeable enough in said stuff.
2) Baz created a series of articles called 'getting into'. Why not do one for each style to present 10, 25, 50 uber classics of each style ? The choice would be difficult, but forums are made for something after all.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
15.10.2007 - 10:32
Hyvaarin
For such a vehemently anti-elitist community as MS, I think this is a very strange idea. I doubt many experts would have the time and inclination to respond to all the "hey man, what prog albums should I get?" requests, if any are sent at all. There's also the point someone raised earlier about it turning into a lame popularity contest.

As far as I'm concerned, a quick glancing over of the relevant forum would be enough for a n00b to any genre.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
15.10.2007 - 11:39
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Hyvaarin on 15.10.2007 at 10:32
a quick glancing over of the relevant forum
What exactly do you mean with this?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
15.10.2007 - 11:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I agree about it that ppl be bored if thay get PM whit sugest me such and such band ... Its be like answer to 1000 PM ewery day
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.10.2007 - 12:09
Hyvaarin
Written by Syk on 15.10.2007 at 11:39

Written by Hyvaarin on 15.10.2007 at 10:32
a quick glancing over of the relevant forum
What exactly do you mean with this?

Well if someone's after some black metal recommendations, they can look in the Extreme Metal forum, etc.

Sorry about that haha.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."