03. You've Got The Hate [Florence + The Machine cover] [feat. Tania Azevedo]
04. Balthasar Gérard
05. Infidel [feat. Cabrakaan]

Tjolgtjar
06. The 5th Mass & Her Works
07. Near You Always
08. A Goat In The Wood
09. Winter Research

As anyone who knows me well enough should know by now, it's impossible for me to stay quiet when it comes to The Meads Of Asphodel. This year's interesting Taste The Divine Wrath split sees the peculiar British group teaming up with black metal band Tjolgtjar, resulting in two sounds that, while somewhat simplistic, still retain a great feeling of uniqueness.

From the perspective of The Meads Of Asphodel, Taste The Divine Wrath sees the band being a little less restrained than is typical. You're not going to find the really batshit moments such as those on Sonderkommando or The Murder Of Jesus The Jew here. Rather, the music is much more straightforward, bearing greater resemblance to their earlier material than anything else. Instead of an all out blend of various sounds, the black metal more or less dominates the mix. However, you can still pick out little Meads trademarks here and there that make you know that this is still without a doubt their music, such as the eerie spoken word intro to "Balthasar Gérard," or the acoustic passages on "Infidel." Additionally, the Meads trend of cover songs that butcher their originals rears its head once more here with the hilarious cover of Florence + The Machine's "You've Got The Love" (rewritten with new lyrics as"You've Got The Hate").

On the Tjolgtjar side of things, things are much more raw and abrasive, following more in the vein of traditional black metal production and delivery ("The Fifth Mass And Her Works"). But even so, there's also a pleasant degree of distinction here as well. "Near You Always," for example, is quite interesting with its use of bells hidden quietly in the background, as is"A Goat In The Wood," a track that's essentially driven primarily by a guitar solo throughout. As with The Meads Of Asphodel, these little subtleties within a more orthodox sound help to give the music a good edge of distinction, while still retaining enough relatability to not be too inaccessible.

Taste The Divine Wrath is thus a highly enjoyable split, with The Meads Of Asphodel and Tjolgtjar complementing each other quite nicely. Since the Meads are more to the weirder side of things, they make up for what Tjolgtjar are lacking in this area, and as Tjolgtjar are more raw and aggressive, they likewise fill in for the Meads in that area. It's very pleasing that there's a good bit of material here; usually with splits you see each band only putting out one or two tracks, but with this one, there's a good chunk of music that allows you to make a better-than-usual judgment of how the bands relate to each other's sounds. Ultimately, with this split, both The Meads Of Asphodel and Tjolgtjar are successfully proving that there's always room for making your music distinct while still sticking to a more conventional sound.

Go taste it and get the hate, you infidels.

Written on 06.06.2015 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 139 users
06.06.2015 - 19:27
Vombatus
Potorro
Was eagerly expecting this one. And I concur with your diagnosis. Meads part is very straightforward, good but lacking some sort of standout moment that could be provided by adding a weird interlude, keyboards or whatever they usually use. Love the cover (lyric change is again brilliant!) and Tjolgtjar's part is really entertaining (special mention for Goat in the Woods, so sloppy yet so fun ).

"Fuck the glory of God and let the Vatican bitches burn in hell"
06.06.2015 - 19:30
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Vombatus on 06.06.2015 at 19:27

Meads part is very straightforward, good but lacking some sort of standout moment that could be provided by adding a weird interlude, keyboards or whatever they usually use. Love the cover (lyric change is again brilliant!) and Tjolgtjar's part is really entertaining (special mention for Goat in the Woods, so sloppy yet so fun ).

"Fuck the glory of God and let the Vatican bitches burn in hell"

True, but like I said, I think it's still quirky enough to satisfy, at least in some aspects. And what's that quote from, one of the Tjolgtjar songs on here? Guess I need to listen more carefully
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.06.2015 - 19:35
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Auntie Sahar on 06.06.2015 at 19:30

And what's that quote from, one of the Tjolgtjar songs on here? Guess I need to listen more carefully

The ending of "Infidel". Pure Metatron delicacy
06.06.2015 - 19:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Vombatus on 06.06.2015 at 19:35

The ending of "Infidel". Pure Metatron delicacy

Aaah, yup, listening again now. Definitely his kind of lyrics
By the way, if you didn't already know, the Meads apparently have a full length coming later in the year as well. Might take a while though, as J.D. Tait's apparently busy with some other project and Metatron's been up to stuff with Wolves Of Avalon too lately.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.06.2015 - 22:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
IMO 1th split review here maybe 1th, don't remember

I use to like The Meads Of Asphodel in a past, now I need refresh their sound

other band, I will try out
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.06.2015 - 00:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Bad English on 06.06.2015 at 22:57

It was a nice little challenge, I've never reviewed a split before. Pretty sure I'm not the first to have done so though
----

~ II. VII
07.06.2015 - 01:31
mz

Written by Bad English on 06.06.2015 at 22:57

There is this:
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=37041&band_id=2001&bandname=Mournful+Congregation
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
07.06.2015 - 04:10
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by mz on 07.06.2015 at 01:31

There is this...

Should've known Lucas of all people would've taken on something that crazy. I miss him as a reviewer
----

~ II. VII
07.06.2015 - 14:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.06.2015 at 04:10

Written by mz on 07.06.2015 at 01:31

There is this...

Should've known Lucas of all people would've taken on something that crazy. I miss him as a reviewer

I wish he was staid into metal, I hope he still is Juve LOL
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.06.2015 - 12:51
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Auntie Sahar on 06.06.2015 at 19:38

By the way, if you didn't already know, the Meads apparently have a full length coming later in the year as well. Might take a while though, as J.D. Tait's apparently busy with some other project and Metatron's been up to stuff with Wolves Of Avalon too lately.

Good to hear, I never know what they up to since their facebook and website are half abandoned. Though I hope they take their time to make something interesting, Sonderkommando still feels as if it was released yesterday.
08.06.2015 - 15:58
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Vombatus on 08.06.2015 at 12:51

Good to hear, I never know what they up to since their facebook and website are half abandoned. Though I hope they take their time to make something interesting, Sonderkommando still feels as if it was released yesterday.

Eh, they've been keeping mostly a 3-4 year pace in between albums, so if this new one is released early next year (which I think it will be, considering the band members' involvement in other projects), I'm sure everything will be a Ok. Very curious to see where they go from Sonderkommando though, knowing Metatron they'll stick to some controversial subject matter.
----

~ II. VII
08.06.2015 - 18:46
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Do want!
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 3765 | This month: 9