Metal Storm logo
Manga

04.03.2007 - 22:55
Basso
Account deleted
Cheers people!

I noticed that there was no Manga thread in this recreaton forum, and since I am a rather big fan of manga (and mostly prefer it to anime) I would be intressted in discussing it with eventual fans here.

Well to start out I got into reading manga when I was younger, reading Dragonball, One Piece etc. (6-7 years ago). And since then I have had a great intresst in reading manga.

My recent reads involve "Ichi The Killer" , which is a great manga, and here is a description of it:

Yakuza boss Anjo disappears with three hundred million yen. His loyal gang members, lead by the masochist Kakihara, start a search, but their aggressive and gory methods worry the other yakuza gangs. Kakiharas most frightening counterpart is the mysterious Ichi, a psychopathic killer with a dark childhood secret, who is controlled by a retired cop.

This manga is definitly not for the faint of heart since every volume contains so much violence, sex and torture scenes (often in combination) it is quite disgusting to read at times. But since the main characthers really are very intressting, I still cant help but to really enjoy it.

Kakihara the masochist has to be one of the coolest manga protagonists ever, here is a picture of him, notice his slashed cheeks held together with safty pins and his various cool scars. What he is holding in his hand is long needles, which happens to be his favourite toy:

So if anyone has any recommendations etc on great mangas please write here!
The manga genres I enjoy the most are, thrillers / psochological / action. And to a certain degree (if well done) comedymanga in various forms.

/Basso
05.03.2007 - 06:54
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I have been into Manga for forever, since I have been a little kid. I mostly read Ranma and Trigun, but right now I am slowly collecting the Rurouni series.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
05.03.2007 - 18:28
Basso
Account deleted
Can you tell me about the Trigun manga? I have watched the anime and would like to know various similarities / differences with them before deciding to read it.
05.03.2007 - 18:33
Eight
Shapeshifter
Arian Totalis, manga Trigun Maximum is like an continue to Trigun anime right?
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
05.03.2007 - 23:59
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Written by Eight on 05.03.2007 at 18:33

Actually it's a continuation of the Trigun manga.
The anime from what i know about it (i haven't watched all the episodes yet), is entirely different.
I think in the anime, Wolfwood dies (I think) but in maximum he's still alive. I'm currently reading maximum so thats all i'm basing this on.

Correct me if i'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time
06.03.2007 - 00:11
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
I'm currently reading Berserk, Trigun Maximum, Getbackers, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Ranma 1/2, GTO early years, Old Boy, Tenjho Tenge, Fullmetal Alchemist and some others that i can't think of.

Ask me about any of these, I like them all.
06.03.2007 - 00:17
Basso
Account deleted
Is Trigun Maximum a continuation of "Trigun" an original manga or something?

Please explain what GTO early years is (Is it a GTO prequel or something? I really enjoy GTO).

Other than that I shake your hand for enjoying Berserk and Oldboy, such amazing mangas. Im really lookingforward to the day I read the end of Berserk... I have been following it since 2000... and by then it had already existed for 10 years or something. Berserk seems neverending ^^.
06.03.2007 - 01:34
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Trigun maximum is the continuation of the manga, it finishes off the story and is damn enjoyable (in my opinion). Currently got 11 managas of it, but it looks like it's ending pretty soon (not many gung-ho-gun members left). I do recommend reading it if you did like trigun.

Now GTO the early years (it's also known as Shonan Junai Gumi) is the prequal to GTO, it follows the highschool years of Eikichi Onizuka and Ryuji Danma back when they were part of the Oni-Baku (or devil bomb). The illustrations are different but it's definately a Fugisawa manga. It's very funny i think and it shows how they met up with the characters from the original GTO (like Saejima and that). Good read, and they are pretty thick books too so more bang for your buck.

Yeah Berserk started back in the late 80's early 90's and is still going today. I hope it still keeps on going for a time to come cause it's just so damn engaging. I can never wait for darkhorse to bring out the mangas any quicker so i sometimes read it net wise. Last time i checked they were up to manga number 31 and i haven't read any further (which sucks cause it was getting so damn good too!!)
06.03.2007 - 05:13
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=2134] on 06.03.2007 at 00:11

I'm currently reading Berserk, Trigun Maximum, Getbackers, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Ranma 1/2, GTO early years, Old Boy, Tenjho Tenge, Fullmetal Alchemist and some others that i can't think of.

Ask me about any of these, I like them all.

I am currently watching the getbackers series and am gearing up for berzerk, I love Ranma, it's My favorite But is there any major differences between the Getbackers Manga and the show? I've also heard the Berzerk Series has a really crappy end, But appearently the manga is still going?

and@ Basso: It appears your questions have already been answered by this guy
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

06.03.2007 - 05:29
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
I've watched the getbackers anime also, it wasn't the worst thing i've seen but, like most animes, it doesn't hold a candle to the manga. the story is longer in the manga also. If you did like the getbackers show, i would reccomend reading the manga, it's just better in my opinion.

I love ranma too, i'm contemplating getting the anime series but i don't know if it's as good as the manga.

The berserk series wasn't all that bad, after all if i didn't watch it i would not have ever read kentaro miura's masterpiece. The show only follows the golden age saga of berserk which gives the background story of why Guts is after revenge against griffith and the godhand. After that it follows the present part of the story which is so damn good, you'll get withdrawals from not reading it. Again I reccomend this highly if your not squeamish. And yeah the berserk manga is still going much to my delight.
06.03.2007 - 08:48
Eight
Shapeshifter
Written by [user id=2134] on 05.03.2007 at 23:59

Written by Eight on 05.03.2007 at 18:33

Actually it's a continuation of the Trigun manga.
The anime from what i know about it (i haven't watched all the episodes yet), is entirely different.
I think in the anime, Wolfwood dies (I think) but in maximum he's still alive. I'm currently reading maximum so thats all i'm basing this on.

Correct me if i'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time

Aye, Wolfwood dies... i liked him more than Vash him self..
----

06.03.2007 - 17:26
Basso
Account deleted
Thanks of the answers! Great to see that manga fans are here.

By the way @ Woven Elegy : I have incredibly hard time finding any swedish retailers fro the Young GTO thingie. Do you know where I can download it or something? (Yah scanlated manga)
06.03.2007 - 23:08
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5394] on 06.03.2007 at 17:26

Thanks of the answers! Great to see that manga fans are here.

By the way @ Woven Elegy : I have incredibly hard time finding any swedish retailers fro the Young GTO thingie. Do you know where I can download it or something? (Yah scanlated manga)

Not at any of the sites i'm familiar with, but if you really want to read it try buying it off the tokyopop retailers online. Other than that i haven't a clue sorry
07.03.2007 - 02:42
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=2134] on 06.03.2007 at 05:29

I love ranma too, i'm contemplating getting the anime series but i don't know if it's as good as the manga.

Thanks for the Answers, I'll look into it when I can.
And yeah, I would get the Ranma1/2 Anime If I were you, It really pretty much follows the manga to a T, except the Manga is slightly better in its own way.

Anyone here like the Rurouni Kenshin Series by Nobuhiro Watsuki?

@Jester Eddie: Yeah Wolfwood was my favorite as well.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

07.03.2007 - 04:33
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Well i've found few animes that have managed to be on par with the manga, but i'll definately try and get it.

I've got the Rurouni Kenshin series and 1 manga, loved the show the dubbing was done quite well on this. Sorta trying to stack up the mangas but hard when funds are pretty low.

Was Wolfwood one of the Gung-Ho-Guns in the anime? He is in the manga, and theres much more depth into his past than in the anime (i think). More Gung-Ho members too.

Tenjho Tenge is one interesting manga to read as well.

At first it reminded me of battle vixens (ikki tousen) with the whole martial arts highschool, the story was fairly straightforawrd too (you could sorta see where it was haeding) but further on in the mangas it's gotten from a simple story to something so complex i can't follow who the bad guys are or the main character.

But aside from all that it's quite enjoyable in my opinion. the art is top bloody notch too in the later mangas

If you wanna have a look at it (berserk too) go to www.thespectrum.net/
it's a scanlated manga site.
07.03.2007 - 04:52
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Woven Elegy: Wolfwood was a former Gungho gun, and technically was right up till the end, but he gave up his notions of violence after being around vash long enough, and he forsook the gungho guns, which led to his eventual death.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

07.03.2007 - 05:19
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Ah, similar thing in maximum but introduces "The Eye of Micheal" which taught wolfwood how to be an asaassin, gave him his cross gun thingy too. The Gung-Hos i don't think really cared that he left, i think they knew he was still Knives' minion regardless of wolfwood saying otherwise.
08.03.2007 - 04:12
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=2134] on 07.03.2007 at 05:19

Ah, similar thing in maximum but introduces "The Eye of Micheal" which taught wolfwood how to be an asaassin, gave him his cross gun thingy too. The Gung-Hos i don't think really cared that he left, i think they knew he was still Knives' minion regardless of wolfwood saying otherwise.

yeah, in the anime he was a disciple of Chapel, A Gungho gun priest like himself, and that's how he got his cross gun.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

08.03.2007 - 06:11
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
I never really used to be into manga all that much, but I'm starting to get into it. Right now I'm reading Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days (and I just got the new issue, yay! ). That is basically a comical/dating version of Evangelion and it's funny as hell. I'm also reading Full Metal Panic: Overload which is also really hilarious. One other manga I definitely want to check out is Priest: http://www.animenfo.com/mangatitle,137,acggxd,priest.html.
08.03.2007 - 08:56
Eight
Shapeshifter
Darn, id like to read some manga but i think they are not selling it in estonia.
----

08.03.2007 - 18:07
Basso
Account deleted
Well if the manga you are not looking for, isnt licensed in your country. I believe it isnt illegal to download scanlated manga if that lies in your intresst. I read much of my manga via web scanlations.
08.03.2007 - 23:53
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Ditto, it's not illegal to read it, but damn if your not careful it can chew through tons of download.
I know of few scanlation sites myself so i'm sorta limited to what i can read, luckily distribution of printed mangas extends out to here so i'm covered.
09.03.2007 - 18:27
Basso
Account deleted
I read 90 % of all my manga scanlated. Since most mangas in my intresst arent popular enough to get licensed in sweden.. Thus making it damn expensive to import original copies etc.
17.03.2007 - 01:48
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
...................... I just finished watching the berzerk series, and the cliffhanger is overwhelmingly large, would anyone care to tell me what happens from there. Did Kaska Live? What happened to Griffith? What happened to guts?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

23.03.2007 - 01:25
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 17.03.2007 at 01:48

...................... I just finished watching the berzerk series, and the cliffhanger is overwhelmingly large, would anyone care to tell me what happens from there. Did Kaska Live? What happened to Griffith? What happened to guts?

Well Guts and Caska escaped the realm of the godhand with the help of a character that doesn't show in the anime. Caska stays somewhat hidden with the blacksmith and his kid, Griffith is now Femto (until much later in the manga when that all changes) and Guts is out for revenge by killing all the apostles to try and reach Griffith

Does that help?
23.03.2007 - 01:38
legend-destroyer
Account deleted
well after the golden years Guts has a magnetic arm installed to replace his left arm, it also has a connon in it, then 2 years after the eclipse, caska and guts are reunited, and Guts receives a pair of armor called the berserker armor; which allows one to forgoe his mental and physical limitations. but it damages the user's body and unleashes the demon from within.
well caska is kinda out of it mentally after being raped by griffith, her and guts travel along with a new group one of them being A woman named Farnesse that acts as a mmotherly figure for guts. After several long nights of fighting off demons as well as having to make sure caska is kept safe, Guts finally succumb to his inner beast and nearly rapes caska
23.03.2007 - 03:16
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
what he said
23.03.2007 - 14:08
Basso
Account deleted
Please guys keep the spoilers away, damn. Please delete your post Legend and send it in a pm. I am yet to read anything after volume 30... and knowing Guts might rape Caska is not what I want to hear from this forum
23.03.2007 - 16:47
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Woven Elegy and Legend-Destroyer: Thanks Guys, that really helps.

@Basso: But isn't this a Manga Discussion?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

24.03.2007 - 00:14
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 23.03.2007 at 16:47

@Woven Elegy and Legend-Destroyer: Thanks Guys, that really helps.

@Basso: But isn't this a Manga Discussion?

Well yes its a discussion but look at it like this, you are reading a review of a movie you want to see and in that review they tell you how it ends. Good review? no thanks, please keep major spoilers in PM.