Metal Storm logo
Deep Purple

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 11.03.2007 - 10:43
No Deep Purple thread yet. DP is one of the most influential rock bands ever, Ritchie Blackmore is one of the greatest guitarists, that has influeced tons of other guitarists. All members that were/have been/are in DP areamzing, outstanding musicians, creative, innovative and skilled. But enough superlatives for now. I'd like you to "talk" about your favourite/least favourite (if any) albums, favourite songs, members (vocalist - there have been 5 of them, guitarists - 3, bassists - 3, keyboardists - 2 (unfortunately Jon Lord quitted, being replaced by Don Airey in 2003).

Don't worry, you'll see my opinions as soon as we get this thread started a little bit.;D.
25.04.2009 - 12:50
DarkFreddie
Account deleted
I think they're amazing! A great band, even if I have just a few songs.
26.04.2009 - 09:08
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 20.11.2008 at 13:44

Maybe Deep Purple sound smore metal but its hard rock classic rock not metal, Led Zep start all think together whit Black Sabbath, but you know band UFO, its more metal how deep purple so

Neither Deep purple, nor Led Zeppelin, nor UFO, nor Black Sabbath, nor Uriah heep are metal; honestly, it's absurd, when Paranoid, or In Rock or Look at yourself or Salisbury, or the first four or five Led Zeppelin albums or the early UFO albums, the term "heavy metal" did not even exist; we can call these bands as "proto-metal" or the bands that shaped heavy metal, main influences for the future to come. At least that's what i think.
27.04.2009 - 14:05
DayFly
Written by Guest on 26.04.2009 at 09:08

Maybe Deep Purple sound smore metal but its hard rock classic rock not metal, Led Zep start all think together whit Black Sabbath, but you know band UFO, its more metal how deep purple so

Neither Deep purple, nor Led Zeppelin, nor UFO, nor Black Sabbath, nor Uriah heep are metal; honestly, it's absurd, when Paranoid, or In Rock or Look at yourself or Salisbury, or the first four or five Led Zeppelin albums or the early UFO albums, the term "heavy metal" did not even exist; we can call these bands as "proto-metal" or the bands that shaped heavy metal, main influences for the future to come. At least that's what i think.

History-rewriting and -denying poser detected . At least don't say "we" when you mean yourself.
27.04.2009 - 18:31
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by DayFly on 27.04.2009 at 14:05

Written by Guest on 26.04.2009 at 09:08

History-rewriting and -denying poser detected . At least don't say "we" when you mean yourself.

The thought of me being a poser makes me laugh; I'm not trying to rewrite history (just trying to make some sense). The term "proto" simply means "before/pr eceding" (sorry for being rude seemingly trying to teach you vocabulary ). As for poor "we" I used there, it's just that neutral "we", without refering to a certain person, rather talking in general (the French have a special pronoun for that - "on" - no controversy from them ).

I've always seen bands like Led Zeppelin, Purple, Uriah Heep, UFO or Thin Lizzy as "hard rock" not "metal"... maybe I don't know all the facts, but after all, somebody please tell me when was the term "heavy metal" was used to classify and describe the music. Some people say it was the late 60s, for all the "noisy music" of bands such as Steppenwolf, Iron Butterfly, Vanilla Fudge (???).
27.04.2009 - 21:44
DayFly
Geez, if you're taking this personal this is the last thing I'm posting here...

Anyway your definition of proto-metal is a really opinionated one, hence you should better be talking of yourself when calling Black Sabbath proto-metal and not pretend to speak on behalf of all metalheads. No music critic or older metal fan would agree, for your information, it's just younger people who need to sqeeze everything into inane, narrow boundaries with little to no regard to history. And don't worry, I didn't take offense to your English lesson as I was born in the U.S.A. and can actually use the word "we" like an Englishman would. The corresponding English word to the French "on" is "one".
28.04.2009 - 17:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
DayFly is actually right, not calling those bands JohnDoe mentioned metal is rewriting history cause at the time those bands were already called heavy metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.04.2009 - 18:40
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.04.2009 at 17:19

DayFly is actually right, not calling those bands JohnDoe mentioned metal is rewriting history cause at the time those bands were already called heavy metal.

This is getting ridiculous already - nobody is saying"well, you're wrong", or "I disagree", now, I suddenly am trying to rewrite history... Then why is it that even the genre descriptions of Purple and Zeppelin on MS is both hard rock and heavy metal?!really? cause to me you can';t have them both.
28.04.2009 - 18:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 28.04.2009 at 18:40

This is getting ridiculous already - nobody is saying"well, you're wrong", or "I disagree", now, I suddenly am trying to rewrite history... Then why is it that even the genre descriptions of Purple and Zeppelin on MS is both hard rock and heavy metal?!really? cause to me you can';t have them both.

Actually you can have both. Because back in the day both hard rock and heavy metal were used interchangeably. Back then hard rock = heavy metal. ONly later did people start to make a disctinction between the two.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.05.2009 - 16:53
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.04.2009 at 18:54

Written by Guest on 28.04.2009 at 18:40

Actually you can have both. Because back in the day both hard rock and heavy metal were used interchangeably. Back then hard rock = heavy metal. ONly later did people start to make a disctinction between the two.

Well, that didn't help, but nevermind that. How can I get out of this mess I've created. I can't and unfortunately a few things don't make much sense to me, now that I've been listening to rock music for more than 20 years and that is ridiculous.

I should have kept my mouth shut, considering how much I dislike classifications and criteria... I know music genres don't appear out of the blue. but it's hard to trace exactly the moment heavy metal appeared (or at least I can't). It was an evolution. Late 60s and early 70s, a lot of bands and artists experimented with music that puzzled both listeners and music journalists - for instance, I've just found out (read) that the term "heavy" was first used by a journalist to describe the music and especially the energy of a Humble Pie concert (around 69-70). The term heavy music got accepted inthe journalist community and was used a lot later on. I think it was difficult to classify what Deep Purple was playing back in 68, with songs such as Mandrake Root and Wring that Neck; or King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man (1969), or Black Sabbath's debut album.

I know my ramblings won't solve a thing. If anybody came to me and said "well Tony Iommi and BS invented metal" I would say "you're right".

I did not invent that word - "proto-metal" - I've seen it used by other people (on another forum I rarely write there, but used to be there all the time 2-3 years ago). The term was used to describe the music of bands that shaped (influenced) heavy metal. It made sense to me. maybe it's wrong, but still, this helped me understand a few things about the roots and beginnings of the metal genre.
06.08.2009 - 14:09
Ereinion
Account deleted
Personally I have a soft spot for the Mark III an Mark IV line-up....The more funky and soul elements mix really nice with their hard rock sound....sad thing they released only three albums with this line-up

Hope I will see the day when they conform the rumors and the Mark III reunites for some live shows or maybe they will make a new studio album
23.09.2009 - 19:49
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.08.2009 at 14:09

Personally I have a soft spot for the Mark III an Mark IV line-up....The more funky and soul elements mix really nice with their hard rock sound....sad thing they released only three albums with this line-up

Hope I will see the day when they conform the rumors and the Mark III reunites for some live shows or maybe they will make a new studio album

It's good to see someone enjoy DP other than the classic line-up - such a reunion will not happen - Blackmore will never rejoin DP, nor will Hughes or Coverdale, for a concert sounds plausible (Hughes and Coverdale that is), but not for a new album - as for Mark IV - Tommy Bolin died unfortunately in '76 so ...
25.09.2009 - 14:47
Ereinion
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.09.2009 at 19:49

It's good to see someone enjoy DP other than the classic line-up - such a reunion will not happen - Blackmore will never rejoin DP, nor will Hughes or Coverdale, for a concert sounds plausible (Hughes and Coverdale that is), but not for a new album - as for Mark IV - Tommy Bolin died unfortunately in '76 so ...

Hard to say if will happen or not....I mean sometimes you can read rumors that they are just a step from a reunion and sometimes they say it will never happen.....we can only wait and hope for the best

A for Tommy Bolin if you havent you should check his two solo CDs Teaser and Private Eyes.A really nice pice of 70s poprock that shouldnt be forgoten
25.09.2009 - 15:23
farmakon
Whispering Gloom
Deep Purple are fantastic. I love their classic albums - In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Stormbringer and also Purpendicular from the new era. I think that Abandon is their weakest album.
Best songs are in my opinion: Highway Star, Fireball, Fools, Speed King, You Keep On Moving, Burn, Child In Time, Anya, Soon Forgotten and Hallelujah.
26.09.2009 - 07:37
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.09.2009 at 14:47

Written by Guest on 23.09.2009 at 19:49

Hard to say if will happen or not....I mean sometimes you can read rumors that they are just a step from a reunion and sometimes they say it will never happen.....we can only wait and hope for the best

A for Tommy Bolin if you havent you should check his two solo CDs Teaser and Private Eyes.A really nice pice of 70s poprock that shouldnt be forgoten

You don't need to take what i said so seriously, I was just imagining - as there wasn't a big fight between Coverdale, Hughes and the rest of DP (I mean Paice and Lord were with Coverdale in Whitesnake).

A Mark III reunion is a nice innocent thought , daydreaming doesn't hurt ...that much...
16.06.2010 - 21:41
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Isn't Space Trucking chorus the best hard rock chorus in the world?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
17.06.2010 - 19:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by K✞ulu on 16.06.2010 at 21:41

Isn't Space Trucking chorus the best hard rock chorus in the world?

only recently i've realized just how awesome DP is actually. Burn and Pictures Of Home imo are their 2 best catchiest songs.

3 years ago when they played around here, they opened with Pictures Of Home.. my dad wanted me to go with him but i turned down
17.06.2010 - 21:49
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Valentin B on 17.06.2010 at 19:18

only recently i've realized just how awesome DP is actually. Burn and Pictures Of Home imo are their 2 best catchiest songs.

3 years ago when they played around here, they opened with Pictures Of Home.. my dad wanted me to go with him but i turned down

The opening riff of Pictures of Home is the catchiest melody ever. So badass. Which albums do you like by DP? To me Burn and Machine Head are absolutely amazing but nothing else hits me like that... I haven't listened to much though. Well, I'd like your opinion.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
17.06.2010 - 22:23
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by K✞ulu on 17.06.2010 at 21:49

Written by Valentin B on 17.06.2010 at 19:18

The opening riff of Pictures of Home is the catchiest melody ever. So badass. Which albums do you like by DP? To me Burn and Machine Head are absolutely amazing but nothing else hits me like that... I haven't listened to much though. Well, I'd like your opinion.

well, the only full album i've listened to so far is Machine Head, and i don't think i need to elaborate my opinion on that album
16.08.2010 - 14:56
TheBigRossowski
Deep Purple is coming to Germany in November, fuck yes! May never see the ZEP, but at least I can see Purple. Far-fucking out, man!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
02.03.2013 - 13:55
Aristarchos
For me The House Of Blue Light has always been my favourite. Can't see why so few people seem to like that one so much.
02.03.2013 - 14:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Aristarchos on 02.03.2013 at 13:55

For me The House Of Blue Light has always been my favourite. Can't see why so few people seem to like that one so much.

Simple, cause it's a poor unbalanced copy of Perfect Strangers. It has some good songs but most of the songs are just totally forgettable
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.03.2013 - 14:27
Aristarchos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.03.2013 at 14:24

Written by Aristarchos on 02.03.2013 at 13:55

Simple, cause it's a poor unbalanced copy of Perfect Strangers. It has some good songs but most of the songs are just totally forgettable

I think it has a more even quality than Perfect Strangers, especially I love the song The Spanish Archer.
24.05.2022 - 08:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Simon McBride is new bands live guitarist while Steve Morse is taking a temporary hiatus from live shows but remains a full member of the band.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.06.2022 - 21:21
Drippy.Hippie
"Child In Time" ...... what an absolute masterpiece of a song
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.