it makes sense?

No
Yes \m/
Ups! i misclicked
why did i vote for it?
Joker > Superman

Total votes: 11
25.02.2019 - 04:52
Hey! so i.. blah blah blah blah blah and it will be blah blah blah blah because blah blah blah blah ok..
Better I will leave a screenshot so it will be faster and clearer for everyone - https://i.imgur.com/rTrRCmf.jpg

let be honest https://bit.ly/2H3g0OT i'm freaking genius https://bit.ly/2GFNTGl this is so sick i cannot even stand how awesome my idea are and its even looks cool and sexy! https://bit.ly/2SUf32u
and if you think that there are too many things on the page you can make a button at which the estimates were shown(spoiler effect) - when you click on it shows scores
/
I do not see a single problem in order not to bring this idea to life, I see only pluses ones of which
1.imagine https://bit.ly/2E7Qu7Z new metalkid is interested in the album Master Of Reality but still doubts, he can focus on the tracks with a high rating in order to understand what is what and why he is legendary - a stupid example i know, but modernkids today don't listen to the full album -again silly one but I just want to show that there is a meaning here and important in the tiny details
2. Also, if you are busy and look at the new underground album that you don't know and have doubts is this worth it ur attention, you can quickly listen to songs that were highly appreciated by users and determine for yourself that this is that what u looking for it or no

P.s always yours CringeDude.fromHell
P.s.s Fight the power and leave the coments if u argue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaoLy7PHwk&ytbChannel=null My Rebel Number One https://bit.ly/2IArsUv
25.02.2019 - 12:25
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Can be a good idea, especially for certain albums in order to distinguish fillers from actual songs, but I'm overall mixed about it.

1) I believe that here at metalstorm (although I shouldn't endorse speaking in their name) we like to listen to ALBUMS. And by "album" I don't mean a pack of songs lasting about 50min, I do mean one composed piece of music, supposed to be listen to from start to finish, without skipping anything. That's an album, it isn't supposed to have good and bad tracks, but a flowing continuum. And I always rated album in this regard. Therefore it puts me against rating each track separately. I don't wanna encourage listening to individual tracks in any way.

2) Now let's postulate that not all albums tend to this ideal, and some are actually just a bunch of tracks packed together. As I said we could differenciate fillers from actual songs, truely great moments from low ones. But let's highlight that sometimes this is so subjective that a song's rating could be very spread out, accumulating equal amout of 1,2,3 and 10,9,8, ending up in a 5, which isn't the same nature as a regular converging 5. (that's also an issue to consider at the album scale)

3) It's very unclear how to consider a song. In the context of the album ? On its very own ? If it's a cover, do we rate the song or it's cover quality ? If it's a live rendition ? What makes a song a song ? Would you rate a 40 second long intro ? Would you rate let's say Crimson by Edge Of Sanity as a single track ? (I mean there's a LOT of bands inputting their own vision into the word "song", or bands which don't even embarass themselves with this notion and just writes "music"). Questions.

4) Now, my point here works also for album ratings, but I never understood the point of ratings? Nobody's even rating in the same manner, without taking the same criteria in consideration, being a purely subjective emotion (like I do), or trying to bring some objectivity in it, with a breakdown "performance", "production", "songwriting", "originality" (why not other criteria ? also those can be very vague too), some could look into an album even differently. And let's not talk about people who only gives 1 and 10 just for the sake of influencing the average rating (cause I could write a whole diatribe about it).

5) As a conclusion I think that what you're trying to do by sorting out tracks could be a good idea, and can have positive results (I'm thinking we could create a "top songs" list for each band this way, despite what I said in (1)) But using ratings seems to me a bad solution. Ratings are the most common way of assigning a judgement to something, but I think they're a bad means. Let's just develop a system allowing a concise and relevant summary about stuff. I don't know how, force people to write reviews, refurbish forum threads, change the essence of the current rating system, create clubs or colleges of people rewarding and branding albums which meet a specific demand, idk...
----
25.02.2019 - 21:46
Answers may differ from questions on numbering(Pardon )
1. this is simple, you look at this side from the standpoint of a person who is already used to it and like listening to an full album - I'm showing that a person(full noobie) who is completely out of topic is faced with difficulties and that would push and step over to the next step where you are

2.Some albums can be banned for such a case where there are only 1-3 tracks + where I talked about busy people, they understand it (in my introduction) and listen to the album without a doubt as it initially implies a concept album

3.this is so nerd one , plus a lot of philosophy and rhetorical questions - Live songs and etc. easily can be banned , rating tracks will boost online - it always happens(no questions) also the same way it increases the variability and depth of the site, you need to build on different types of people who like different things (I could also touch on the topic of adding tags to collections and flexible sorting, but not here)) this is equivalent to players in video games. Read only headlines - https://elearningindustry.com/types-of-gamers-and-learner-engagement-4

4.rhetorical one, objectivity = utopia in this way ,no one will ever have a single assessment system it will always be specific and special for the self. And again, the link I gave earlier shows that everyone is looking from different angles and this must be considered

5.True,True,True.
6(66).Bonus, and probably showing the whole point(probably) When you said " But using ratings seems to me a bad solution. Ratings are the most common way of assigning a judgement to something" - therefore I insist on "Track Rating Button"(spoiler effect) people who are not interested in this, they won't get stuck on this and they don't need it this thing, returning about the types of people in video games, for others it will be a big advantage
" I don't know how, force people to write reviews, refurbish forum threads" - Hype.
Example with theneedledrop if u guys know who is that, some(some most important word here) people will click on his video if they see a yellow shirt (in his world, this means a good album, 7-10 and people will be interested is this a 10 or 8) classic hook always works (but I don't say it this is good thing, just give an example of what works)
I hope I convinced someone in need of this function and in safety from examples about gamers
another super puper duper stupid example with thrash metal album in this world better release album with 1-2 thrash songs 1-2 ballads 1-2 heavy metal songs and it will be successful than pure thrash album (Hello Hardwire to..) is that good? No, is that bad? tricky one, depending on which side to look, i know another cringy example but i'm god of that
p.s fucking hell already 2 votes with no - my reaction https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8c/9b/db/8c9bdb09d3a565705c6e00ef5e9b5c8a.jpg
26.02.2019 - 00:33
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
I missed something with my previous response, because I did not differentiate the many aspects of the issue:

I) let's attract more people
II) let's sort out best and worst songs off albums
III) let's use ratings to do so

So I already said all I had to say for point (III), we are clever beings demanding critique information, not just senseless numbers. I'm against ratings.

For (II), I brought out many cases for which the system wouldn't work, and although sounding rethorical, one must acknowledge that if your system is set up, it could not be applied to a certain part of the albums featured on MS. Anyway, as you said, this is not very important, let's focus on the cases it can be applied to instead.

But now let's tackle (I). It's not only a matter of bringing a new audience to MS, but also which one ? what kind of people ? This morning, reading your post and stumbling across "modernkids today don't listen to the full album", I said in my mind: "I don't want them around, you know". I'm trying to be open minded, but is it true that all new metal fans don't listen to full albums ? I think that's incorrect, I think that some do, and some don't, and I think I don't like the latter ones. (The more I think about it, the more it's unclear why, but it's some kind of primal intuition).

You say that adding a rating system will bring new people to the site - at least new activity - and this is true. That's how things work. You say we should target different kinds of people, all kinds of people. People who don't listen to full albums and like to stamp anything with good or bad grades. I may be wrong, you could argue about it, but in my dear heart I don't want them around. I think they're braindead.

But maybe this sort of person can change their habbits and come to listen to full-length releases, and shed the rating spirit ? Maybe. I don't know. I'm trying to picture myself back when I was new to metal, and I'm sure I always took great care to spin whole bands' discographies in chronological order. Just to know what they were about. Because those bands could create beautiful pieces of music, lasting 1 hour or so, as opposed to the radio friendly pop or rap crap, as you call it. Doing singles.

Whereas all the people I know listening to metal on shuffle have no desire whatsoever to dig MS and discover new things, they just wait for the youtube playlist to fill in with the lastest garbage. And I mean, they won't check the album either, they're just embedded in a system advantaging the song format. So let's be honest and acknowledge that maybe they could change, but once again, it will only be a little part of them.

My problem is that I like to think of MS as a niche, and I don't want it plagued by more mainstream people approving mainstream trends. (Yes I'm a scornful elitist (T_T )). Or I'd rather have them coming, but within a system that will help them grow, and not confort them in their narrow mind, and push them forward instead of encouraging granting The Number Of The Beast a 9/10, what a surprise.

I could quote your example: "imagine new metalkid is interested in the album Master Of Reality but still doubts, he can focus on the tracks with a high rating in order to understand what is what".
- Or he could try out the whole album ? If he's in a haste, just skip what he doesn't like. Or give each songs a 30sec trial, to make up his own mind. Or check videos of the bands. Or ask his friends. Or read articles about it - even the MS reviews. All of which activies are more enlightening than trusting a rating. (Yeah I'm still bashing ratings). He could like it or not, explain why, camp a forum thread, give himself time, look for some other songs, or other bands, different or similar, try to ponder his thoughts and understand what he needs and doesn't. Not just be "yeah I think I'd give it 6/10". Ratings will smother the other behaviors.

In fact ratings are my main complain about your idea - I'd actually need to sort out songs in some special cases. Just don't use ratings, at least not from 1 to 10. Just put a "highlight song" button or "burry song" button in front of each track, so people could vote this way. Together with the tracklist comes a diagram displaying what songs were burried or highlighted to most. It works almost the same way except that it's more straightforward. Hopefully people listening to a full album could tell where the weak and great parts were. And newbies will have their "hit" on top.

This is still a rating system so I essentially don't like it, but I think it's better than trying to assess a grade from 1 to 10, that is way more difficult than "it was great"/"it was weak"/"NR".

TL;DR
1) I don't want plebs around
2) I don't like ratings
3) I -might- want to sort songs off (bad) albums plagued with fillers
----
26.02.2019 - 00:49
nikarg

26.02.2019 - 01:08
Written by Ansercanagicus on 26.02.2019 at 00:33

Just put a "highlight song" button or "burry song" button in front of each track, so people could vote this way. Together with the tracklist comes a diagram displaying what songs were burried or highlighted to most. It works almost the same way except that it's more straightforward.

that's even better make a special unique rating format that is different from all
now I can throw more ideas into the bonfire in this direction, you can just give the star a song that you like or deserve attention "My Fav/Love Track on the album" by showing that song likes many and stands out from the rest
so now you must be agree for this idea

P.s and yeah you could write shorter like yo I'm a scornful elitist and i don't give a F about rating system(joke)