Metal Storm logo
Tallah

04.10.2020 - 16:00
CULTXiii

I was first introduced to Tallah back in 2018 when I stumbled across their debut EP release of that year - No One Should Read This. It was a Spotify song recommendation that introduced me to the song Red Light. Since then I have followed this band avidly and awaited this year's release Matriphagy with much anticipation.
The Pennsylvania quartet formed in 2018 and consists of vocalist Justin Bonitz, second generation drummer Max Portnoy (son of Dream Theatres former drummer Mike Portnoy), guitarist Derrick Scheider and bassist Andrew Cooper, both of whom Max had formed previous relationships with on the Philadelphia music scene.
The Matriphagy album is probably one of the freshest album releases' I've heard in the last few years. Maybe this album holds a special place in my heart because I feel a sense of nostalgia with its nu-metal vibes or maybe it's because this is just one hell of a fantastic heavy and downright interesting concept album. The bands influences are clear here from Slipknot to Korn and everyone in between from the Nu-Metal days of the late 90's early 00's. It's also interesting they are not afraid to admit this.
Each of the band members shines on this release from Justin's impressive vocal range to Max Portnoy's epic drum skills which interestingly he didn't learn from his dad, he had actually learnt most of what he knows from a drum tutor from a very young age.
Justin in his own right has created quite a buzz online with his vocal tuition videos (Hungry Lights) and it's always been entertaining to see his one take vocal videos during a recording session for Tallah or a reaction video from some YouTuber for each song release - Just for fun YouTube Tallah L.E.D reaction videos.
On that note - The breakdown on the song L.E.D is quite probably one of the best breakdowns and climaxes to a song I have heard in a very long while. At the three-minute mark the band unleashes an absolute sonic pummelling that relentlessly beats you even when you are down. Superb stuff!
Each song within the album has their own stand out moments albeit sometimes subtly which will have you listening to this album over and over again. Whether it be Justin's voice cracking on the second verse of 'Overconfidence' or the very theatrical, delirious ramblings in Red Light it's just an absolute joy to listen to. Without putting all of the attention on Justin it's worth noting that his vocal range can go from a schizophrenic hostile rasp to one of the most brutal toilet bowl guttural death growls absolutely seamlessly.
It's very hard to fault this album as the performances are so strong and the song writing is very much on point. It would be fair to say a few of the songs here would sit well in any of Korn's early back catalogue. It's mixed well and is incredibly fresh and each band member is heard whether it be the downturned bass guitar to the heavy crunching guitar tones soaked in feedback and turntable scratches. This album is a concept release for the band and it certainly does tell a very dark tale and one every fan of extreme metal should experience.
I suspect this band has a very long and bright future ahead of them and I for one have never been this excited for band for many years - In fact it's had me writing my first album review in over two years.
This ladies and gentlemen is Nu-Core at its finest and the metal community should welcome them with open arms.
04.10.2020 - 17:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Not sure I'd agree with an assessment that likens a sound to Korn as being fresh, but glad you enjoyed it enough to write a review in the forum since this band isn't featured on the site.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."