Metal Storm logo

Took a few months off from consuming new releases. Currently binging.

Created by: Neachy | 17.03.2022

1. Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium - Undreamable Abysses
(9) (Psychedelic Black) This is easily so far my favorite thing of the year. More listens to come but this will probably be bumped to a 9.5. This sounds like MoRT mixed with Skáphe.
2. Ataraxy - The Last Mirror
(9) (Doom Death) This is exactly what I need in my life.
3. Flittering - Conjuring Vile
(8.5) (Dissonant Blackened Death) Pretty much Portal with a more orthodox rhythm section. It's great stuff though.
4. Deathspell Omega - The Long Defeat
(8.5) (Black) Thus the "third era" of DsO begins. Mid paced and bass heavy DsO is the best DsO. This is the most I've enjoyed a DsO album since Paracletus. Seems like this will sit among the best releases of the year when all is said and done.
5. Dream Unending - Song Of Salvation
(8.5) (Experimental/Progressive Death Doom) The middle three tracks of the album are interesting noodling but another 15 minute banger akin the first and last tracks would have sent this over the top.
6. Unyielding Love - Flesh Of The Furnace
(8.5) (Blackened Death/Noise) Exactly the kind of fucked up shit I needed to stumble upon to draw me back into some new releases.
7. Verberis - Adumbration Of The Veiled Logos
(8.5) (Blackened Death) Really great stuff. Feels a bit too mechanical at times to really be top tier but easily among the best of the year as it is.
8. Imperial Triumphant - Spirit Of Ecstasy
(8) (Avant Garde Black/Death) Good stuff. Not all that different from Alphaville. That one holds a special place but this one is just kind of more of the same.
9. Arizmenda - Spiders Lust In The Dungeon’s Dust
(8) (Psychedelic Black) Just put the fucking thing on bandcamp, guy.
10. Artificial Brain - Artificial Brain
(8) (Tech Death) Call it progressive brutal tech death. They manage to do it all on this one and it works.
11. Negative Plane - The Pact
(8) (Black) Manages to nicely mix a 1st Wave BM feel with the psychedelic BM one may expect from Negative Plane. A creepy gothic vibe and a passion for heavy metal riffs are evident throughout.
12. Shape Of Despair - Return To The Void
(8) (Funeral Doom) And what a mournful dirge it is. Really excellent stuff as we've come to expect from this band.
13. Brutus (BEL) - Unison Life
(8) Music
14. Doldrum - The Knocking, Or The Story Of The Sound That Preceded Their Disappearance
(8) (Avant Garde Black) Interesting stuff with an Americana vibe.
15. Pogavranjen - Zvjerski Pokreti
(8) Avant Garde Black
16. Cloud Rat - Threshold
(7.5) Experimental Grind
17. Undeath - It's Time​.​.​.To Rise From The Grave
(7.5) Death
18. Assumption - Hadean Tides
(7.5) (Death Doom) Proper heavy death doom with just the right amount of melody.
19. Ill Tidings - Hymns To Demise
(7.5) (Black) Just easy listening black metal.
20. Predatory Light - Death And The Twilight Hours
(7.5) (Black) Has a similar sound to Negative Plane. Lots of exuberant black metal riffing.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Neachy ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 9   Visited by: 79 users
17.03.2022 - 16:20
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
It's about damn time. Been waiting for you to make this list. My only suggestion currently would be the new Rolo Tomassi
25.03.2022 - 02:53
Neachy
Written by Alex F on 17.03.2022 at 16:20

It's about damn time. Been waiting for you to make this list. My only suggestion currently would be the new Rolo Tomassi

The year started off slow, so I decided to as well. Gave RT a listen. I enjoyed the mathcore but the pretty female vocals and the spaced out sections put me off a bit. I'll have to give it another listen soon but as of right now, it's a 7 for me.
12.06.2022 - 01:48
Chobo_jokeR
I suspect you’ll dig Sunrise Patriot Motion if you haven’t already checked it out. Just given who is involved in the project. I would have preferred Will’s vocals but these still work.
17.06.2022 - 21:12
Neachy
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 12.06.2022 at 01:48

I suspect you’ll dig Sunrise Patriot Motion if you haven’t already checked it out. Just given who is involved in the project. I would have preferred Will’s vocals but these still work.

Sweet. I'll give it a listen tonight or this weekend. I'm pretty behind on new stuff. I know Artificial Brain will be on my list somewhere too. Been jamming to the new Ataraxy today.
18.06.2022 - 02:11
Chobo_jokeR
Written by Neachy on 17.06.2022 at 21:12

Sweet. I'll give it a listen tonight or this weekend. I'm pretty behind on new stuff. I know Artificial Brain will be on my list somewhere too. Been jamming to the new Ataraxy today.

I only gave the new Ataraxy one listen today but I was definitely feeling it. I’ve only made it through White Ward once but I was also digging that one too. Krallice dropped yet another new album today too lol.
10.12.2022 - 17:13
Chobo_jokeR
Good to have you back. Already flagged unyielding love and flittering for a listen.
09.11.2023 - 17:23
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I need you to stop being inactive on MS and make a 2023 list
09.11.2023 - 22:33
mz
Written by Alex F on 09.11.2023 at 17:23

I literally come back here to see him make a new list for 2023 these days.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
13.11.2023 - 10:01
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Alex F on 09.11.2023 at 17:23

I knew there was something missing
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?