Metal Storm logo
Eluveitie

Original post

Posted by baldur, 26.09.2007 - 14:46
Eluveitie, a very unique folk band with gothenburg influences from Switzerland that knows how to make good music. till now they only got one studio album called spirit , but the second album slania will follow this december, which i am longing for.

their first album for me is a masterpiece with tracks like Of Fire, Wind & Wisdom; Uis Elveti and Your Gaulish War to which i can listen to all the time.

so what you think of this band? do you even know them?
20.08.2008 - 13:08
Tango2150
Account deleted
i saw these guys at bloodstock festival on the saturday just gone (16th) they put on an amazing show, i'd never heard them before but they really stood out and im looking forward to hearing slania when its released
20.08.2008 - 13:18
Fjölkaldr
Written by [user id=34422] on 20.08.2008 at 13:08

i saw these guys at bloodstock festival on the saturday just gone (16th) they put on an amazing show, i'd never heard them before but they really stood out and im looking forward to hearing slania when its released

Slania has been released some months ago
----
We become the enemy
When freedom dies for security

--Nuclear Assault--
20.08.2008 - 13:47
Tango2150
Account deleted
Written by Fjölkaldr on 20.08.2008 at 13:18

Slania has been released some months ago

wha? its not on their website, ill go for a hunt thanks!
23.08.2008 - 22:11
Altáriel
Account deleted
I loved Spirit. I saw Slania the other day at a local music shop. Still haven't heard it, but I bet it'll be good.
24.08.2008 - 20:20
Arch-Enemy
Account deleted
the first time i heard them was on Metalcamp.
they were pretty good and made a good impression on me
25.08.2008 - 01:34
Fiddlewench
Account deleted
I've known of Eluveitie a long time, before they grew popular lol. Thought they were ok.. I dont much like the gothenburg sound in their music though. However there's some excellent violin and flute playing and whatever the hell that other instrument is haha.. I very much enjoyed them live at Bloodstock, they put on a good, energetic show.
26.08.2008 - 22:58
Janne
Hugin
Written by [user id=34442] on 25.08.2008 at 01:34

I've known of Eluveitie a long time, before they grew popular lol. Thought they were ok.. I dont much like the gothenburg sound in their music though. However there's some excellent violin and flute playing and whatever the hell that other instrument is haha.. I very much enjoyed them live at Bloodstock, they put on a good, energetic show.

at last, someone who like Eluveitie because the folk part of them and not becaouse the play Gothenburg metal. i love them because the hurdy-gurdy, violin and flutes. I don't say their music is bad just that for me they play folk metal, not gothenburg.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
28.08.2008 - 15:44
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
I almost never listen to folky metal bands (with the exception of the odd pagan/folk black metal band here and there) but Eluveitie grabbed my attention with Spirit. Looking forward to hearing their new release which I'll get round to grabbing of at some point. Good to see some life being breathed into the rather dead melodeath genre.

I don't see how they can be classed as Gothernburg though seeing as they're Swiss, not Swedish.
28.08.2008 - 15:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 28.08.2008 at 15:44

I don't see how they can be classed as Gothernburg though seeing as they're Swiss, not Swedish.

Well, Artillery played Bay Area thrash and they are from Denmark.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.08.2008 - 15:52
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Well this is an age old argument about Gothernburg which I'd rather not get into again. I still firmly believe that the Gothenburg tag should be researved for the obvious big name bands that came out of Gothenburg way back when. It's like recent bands like Iron Maiden etc. being labled NWOBHM. It just doesn't sit with me.
28.08.2008 - 15:53
Janne
Hugin
and what about spanish viking metallers...?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
28.08.2008 - 15:56
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Oy.
28.08.2008 - 16:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 28.08.2008 at 15:52

Well this is an age old argument about Gothernburg which I'd rather not get into again. I still firmly believe that the Gothenburg tag should be researved for the obvious big name bands that came out of Gothenburg way back when. It's like recent bands like Iron Maiden etc. being labled NWOBHM. It just doesn't sit with me.

Well, the weird thing is that NWOBHM wasn't exactly a type of sound but more a period of time concerning a boom of British bands.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.08.2008 - 16:14
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Well that's kinda the point/problem of the literal sematics of genre tags. It's all nonsense really. I mean Spanish Viking Metal is some kind of oxymoron that just hurts my brain. I guess you can attribute a band/timeframe/genre to any bunch of words, it's the overall mass meaning that counts at the end of the day.
13.03.2009 - 00:53
Fhuesc
Their new song is horrendous . I didn't had much hope in this album, but this song sent to hell all my expectations.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
13.03.2009 - 13:19
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
What is so wrong with it when you compare it to Elvenkings acoustic album Two Tragedy Poets...they are even covering pop songs here (heaven is the place on earth) and the album is in MS 2008 top chart...and i am not saying it bad, it isnt
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.03.2009 - 13:37
VPeter
I love the new song, I'm really looking forward to the album. Fuck all those close minded metal morons labeling it pop.
13.03.2009 - 16:19
DarkMoor99
Account deleted
The new song doesn't sound like pop. The new album must be awesome.
13.03.2009 - 19:08
Janne
Hugin
If the new album will sound like Elvenking's new acoustic album, I'll be satisfied!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
13.03.2009 - 19:11
Janne
Hugin
Btw I wasn't very impressed by the new song.. maybe I should give it some more time to realize its greatness
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
04.04.2009 - 08:20
EpicMayhem
Im suprised Eluveitie made an acoustic album. I mean, think about it they are signed to Nuclear Blast, i was expecting them to loose the "folkness" and sound more generic. kind of like what happened to CoB.

Im listening to the new album right now on their myspace and it isnt bad... its not as popish as a expected
04.04.2009 - 14:00
Ernis
狼獾
New album is fine....since the album is acoustic it allows the antique style to emerge in a lot larger way as before and this is what makes the group's work special....
04.04.2009 - 14:54
styx
I've seen Eluveitie when they were in Lithuania along with Kreator(which I dislike). In my opinion Slania was amazing Lets hope for even better album upcoming
----
I am the Light...
That Leads to Darkness!
I am the Night...
Behold Pandemonium!
Behold the Morningstar!
Behold Lucifer!
04.04.2009 - 15:16
frontpage
New album is freaking boring. too bad, I liked omnos
----
http://www.last.fm/user/frontpage2
04.04.2009 - 16:06
Janne
Hugin
Written by frontpage on 04.04.2009 at 15:16

you guys are so impatient... How did you deciede it's boring after 1? 2? listens?!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
04.04.2009 - 22:31
Fhuesc
Written by Janne on 04.04.2009 at 16:06

Written by frontpage on 04.04.2009 at 15:16

you guys are so impatient... How did you deciede it's boring after 1? 2? listens?!

Spirit and Slania, with the first listen i thought: wow! this is awesome, but with Evocation i thought: wow! this is ok... i guess.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
05.04.2009 - 02:27
MetalSpider
The new album is awesome! Definitely a change of pace from Slania and Spirit. Those of you who thought it was boring...you definitely have to listen to it again...give it a chance.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
05.04.2009 - 05:23
bard
The problem with Evocation is that it both fails in being a metal album as well as being an folk album. It is filled with far too many modern sounds and synthesizers, especially in the drums. In my opinion the songs would come out much more beautifully with a more folk style drum to fit in amongst the rest of the folk elements. Honestly this album is so far away from what they have done previously, and sounds so accessible...I guess I'm just paranoid that they won't actually revert back to their old (metal) style.
----
07.04.2009 - 11:00
Mourningstar
Account deleted
I really love the new album. I listen to a lot of folk but this album sounded a bit different and original. I was really excited about a folk album of Eluveitie (because I always love their way of using instruments in the music.) And I think it turned out really beautiful. It reminds me to songs like Aidu and Siraxta.
25.04.2009 - 13:01
DarkFreddie
Account deleted
A great band. Thanks to them I've discovered folk-metal!
Their best songs are Inis Mona and Lament.