01. A Wise Birthgiver
02. Wall Of Water
03. Great Work Of Ages
04. Deconsecrate
05. Illuminate Eliminate
06. Psychic Horns
07. Key To The Storms
08. Anti

There is no need for a lengthy introduction here, since everyone that enjoys Black Metal should know the legendary and widely renowned Mayhem. In a few words: 'The True Mayhem' embodied by Euronymous died and left us "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" as musical legacy. When the world needed a new hero, 'The New Mayhem' arose. This 'New Mayhem' took their time to find the right path as could be heard on the experimental releases "A Grand Declaration Of War" and "Chimera". Opinions on these albums varied a lot and it cost Mayhem a lot of fans.

After many years, Blasphemer and co (as Blasphemer is the bandleader right now, responsible for all the music) did the only right thing to do: kick out Maniac and bring back Attila. And the result is once again innovative, groundbreaking and breathtaking as was also the case with the eternally evil début album.

A Wise Birthgiver reveals what we're in for. A thick, mudlike-produced, disorientating intro coming right out of the darkest corners of a schizophrenics mind. Those who hope the rest of the album will have more chorus-refrain based songs, should see this as the ultimate warning and get the hell out of. Instead, you are presented the ultimate journey through the mind of an evil genious. The seemingly random drums, the experimental riffing and the painful silences that sometimes rip the breathtaking thick air apart all play their part in this psychotic release of madness, but stand all in favor of personification of insanity.

And that is Attila. He already proved to be an amazing vocalist on the début album, where he sadly wasn't appreciated by everyone, but on this album he managed to surpass every Black Metal vocalist out there. From high-pitched screams to low and brutal vocals, he does it all. His dynamic vocals create highlights such as the incredibly powerful scream on Wall Of Waters. Or the ending of Great Work Of Ages, followed by the chaotic screaming on Deconsecrate. There is wailing, moaning, crying and despair. Combined with his achievement on "De Mysteriis..." he is one of the greatest Black Metal vocalist since the scene saw the unholy light.

As a final conclusion it should be clear that "Ordo Ad Chao" is definitely not an easy listening album and will need a lot of spins to be appreciated to it's fullest. However, it is worth all the effort as it will reveal to be an absolute masterpiece. Hail The New Mayhem!

enter another sphere / complete the emptiness / desperately alone / fuck the race

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 04.10.2007 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 389 users
05.10.2007 - 21:35
Rating: 9
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Actually, I think this album could rival De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas as being their best effort.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.10.2007 - 23:08
Sunioj
Nice review, I agree with you about Attila, he is one of the greatest if not the greatest voice in BM. I never like Maniac as well...drums are savage as hell, and the guitars are perfectly in sync with the atmosphere, it is indeed a journey listening to this album...but a very memorable journey. I could say that I prefer this over DMDS right now, this album is just an awesome comeback.
08.10.2007 - 02:38
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
what an overrated album. Seriously.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.10.2007 - 02:46
Sunioj
Written by Doc G. on 08.10.2007 at 02:38

Maybe it was the production? I know quite a few people who weren't able to click with it. Loss for them I guess. I honestly don't think its overrated. Just look at this review, only a few comments and look at the mayhem thread, not alot of people are really going on about it. If anything, new Mayhem is vastly unnappreciated.
08.10.2007 - 09:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Sunioj on 08.10.2007 at 02:46

Maybe it was the production? I know quite a few people who weren't able to click with it. Loss for them I guess. I honestly don't think its overrated. Just look at this review, only a few comments and look at the mayhem thread, not alot of people are really going on about it. If anything, new Mayhem is vastly unnappreciated.

I remember a certain argument between Dr. Rock and Damnated.

Anyway, I'd also say this album is really underappreciated. Plus, it's definitely not for everyone.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.10.2007 - 16:24
Hyvaarin

You just don't get black metal .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
16.10.2007 - 08:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Hyvaarin on 15.10.2007 at 16:24

You just don't get black metal .

Dont scare me like that man, i thought id have to brace myself for another onslaught of childish name calling.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.10.2007 - 16:55
Desertman
Account deleted
this is truly in a very (disgusting way) an overrated album
really enuff laughing at us!
02.11.2007 - 01:30
rageing atheist
Account deleted
There has to be something wrong with me as I always find myself enjoying the albums that are said to be non-easy listening and require time to grow, from the first time I hear them. Got it today and I was hooked immediately, also I don't understand the complaints about the production, the production is one of the best I've heard.
07.11.2007 - 06:48
OminousDeath
Account deleted
Looks Interesting
02.01.2008 - 20:01
Rating: 10
Warman
Erotic Stains
A very original album!
----
02.01.2008 - 21:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Warman on 02.01.2008 at 20:01

A very original album!

Ah yes you just bought this. So did you like it as well, besides finding it original?
----

02.01.2008 - 21:07
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Lucas on 02.01.2008 at 21:05

A very original album!

Ah yes you just bought this. So did you like it as well, besides finding it original?

Yes, I really enjoyed it. Haunting and without doubt one of Mayhem's better works... or dare I say... maybe even their fucking best work?
----
02.01.2008 - 21:09
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Warman on 02.01.2008 at 21:07

Written by Lucas on 02.01.2008 at 21:05

A very original album!

Yes, I really enjoyed it. Haunting and without doubt one of Mayhem's better works... or dare I say... maybe even their fucking best work?

Hmm I wouldn't know. It is a close call with De Mysteriis for me, that's for sure.
----

02.01.2008 - 21:10
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Lucas on 02.01.2008 at 21:09

Hmm I wouldn't know. It is a close call with De Mysteriis for me, that's for sure.

Yeah, you're right.
----
04.01.2008 - 01:32
W-Lash
Metal Master
You can shoot me or rape me or do whatever but i can't understand what do you find in this album and in this band...
Why do i hate Mayhem so much? Hm...mystery.
05.01.2008 - 19:49
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Great review, it describes this album perfectly. I just bought 7 records yesterday and Ordo Ad Chao was among them. I've listenned to it twice until now, the first listen was'nt easy, but i still found it really awesome. The 2nd listen, the songs were sinking in easier. I think this album is fucking killer, and the reasons why is that it's unconventional, Attila's vox are absolutely amazing, very dark, and the song structures are just WoW, crazy but interesting. It must be a little hard to play these songs live
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
02.02.2008 - 01:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This album keeps growing on me, and it's very likely that it'll creep up into my top 10 of 2007. Attila is a fucking monster, and his vocals at the beginning of either track 4 or 5 (can't remember atm) make him sound like a screeching dinosaur.
10.02.2008 - 23:20
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
I prefer the things they did with maniac over this, Ordo Ad Chao sort of just sounds like mediocre doom metal more than anything else, but perhaps I have to let it grow on me like most of you say. Who knows...
11.02.2008 - 01:01
Sunioj
This album didn't really need that much time to sink in with me. It really just knocked me off my ass and was as straightforward as raw BM should be. I find this album kind of catchy.
11.02.2008 - 02:11
Damnated
Churchburner
why is this still labeled as a guest review?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
11.02.2008 - 02:20
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Damnated on 11.02.2008 at 02:11

he wrote and published it when he wasn't a staff member - the first two or so of mine are the same
11.02.2008 - 02:24
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Baz Anderson on 11.02.2008 at 02:20

Written by Damnated on 11.02.2008 at 02:11

he wrote and published it when he wasn't a staff member - the first two or so of mine are the same

i see that, but it should be removed. you are staff members now, and you got promoted based on your reviews , well sorta. so these reviews reflect the opinions of the MS staff.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
11.02.2008 - 02:45
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Damnated on 11.02.2008 at 02:24

i see that, but it should be removed. you are staff members now, and you got promoted based on your reviews , well sorta. so these reviews reflect the opinions of the MS staff.

yeh, that is right - I will bring it up with Ivan
07.05.2008 - 16:12
Rimfrost
Great album, was not expecting that at all. The only Mayhem album I liked before was DMDS, but this one is even better. Great vocals!
23.06.2008 - 09:22
Hamird
Lieutenant
Lucas rated this album in the best way. and explaining Attila's role in Mayhem was really great too. I like this review because I'm totally agree with this review. And it can be a bit unfair to De Mysteriies Dom Sathanes but I think this album is better than DMDS!

A special thanks to God/Satan or anyone else who has sent back Atilla to Mayhem, to release another great album again.
23.06.2008 - 09:39
Cocacolacowboy
Account deleted
this album > De Mysteriis

very different...vicious,experimental,noisy

its obvious Attila hanging out with sunno))) and being apart of southern lord has rubbed off on Mayhem.
24.06.2008 - 15:24
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
After a long time, I have finally decided that Ordo Ad Chao is way better than DMDS. And Attila is really a cool guy. (have to brag about interviewing him with Jerry =D). And live... even in daylight they were great.
----

24.06.2008 - 15:56
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Lucas on 24.06.2008 at 15:24

After a long time, I have finally decided that Ordo Ad Chao is way better than DMDS. And Attila is really a cool guy. (have to brag about interviewing him with Jerry =D). And live... even in daylight they were great.

It's hard for me to choose. While "Ordo Ad Chao" blew me away as soon as I pressed play (and still does actually) I feel that "De Mysteriis dom Sathanas" has more replay value. I guess I want to say that "Ordo Ad Chao" is the better one, just to be a little different. But I really don't know. But the "Ordo Ad Chao" vocals are insane, those can't be beaten. I was shocked when I heard stuff like "Deconsecrate"!
----
13.08.2008 - 23:17
Bitter Peace
To me, this album perfectly captures the atmosphere that every other black metal band always wished they could achieve. Totally insane.

Hits total: 12153 | This month: 1