Metal Storm logo
The Last Shadow Puppets / Arctic Monkeys

09.10.2022 - 17:07
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Man, this takes me back. One of the first bands that I became addicted to - The Last Shadow Puppets, or simply TLSP.

After my obsession with Arctic Monkeys between 2015 and 2017, I had ventured into frontman Alex Turner's side project TLSP. The style of TLSP was similar (mix of rock and pop, convoluted lyrics vaguely about love, etc), but this project added a totally new flair with the inclusion of many classical instruments. Recent research revealed to me that the genre is apparently called "baroque rock",

Anyway, since last hearing their first album The Age Of The Understatement back in 2017, I decided to listen again to it (five years later) and it remarkably still holds up! There are some songs that I didn't care for back then and still don't - mainly the slower mellow songs like "Time Has Come Again" and "Standing Next To Me".

But it was fun listening to those songs that I really found great back then. They're usually the more bizarre, faster, and experimental songs. I find one can somewhat see the connection between the style of those songs and my metal-tinged music taste now.

I wanted to share some of those songs that especially sparked my interest in creative music. If you're interested in exploring some bizarre, fun, eerie, and emotional music, I recommend giving every song here a shot - they're all different and have their own unique rewards. Enjoy!

"My Mistakes Were Made For You":

"The Age Of The Understatement":

"I Don't Like You Anymore":

"Separate And Ever Deadly":

"Calm Like You":

"In My Room":

"Only The Truth":

Let me know what you think of it
09.10.2022 - 23:49
nikarg
Staff
I had the same obsession with Arctic Monkeys, but from 2013 to 2015. I remember playing AM at least once a day for quite a while. TLSP's debut is a great album, every song is killer. I am almost shocked that you don't care for "Standing Next To Me"

I used to like that other baroque rock band, The Divine Comedy, way back when...
10.10.2022 - 03:08
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by nikarg on 09.10.2022 at 23:49

I had the same obsession with Arctic Monkeys, but from 2013 to 2015. I remember playing AM at least once a day for quite a while. TLSP's debut is a great album, every song is killer. I am almost shocked that you don't care for "Standing Next To Me"

I used to like that other baroque rock band, The Divine Comedy, way back when...

Interesting! I expected to be alone here in liking Arctic Monkeys and TLSP. AM is very catchy and was my introduction to them. I grew to really like the debut whatever people say I am that's what I'm not (contains nice fun songs like "From the Ritz to the rubble") and especially Humbug (my absolute obsession for a while, containing eerie songs like "Jewellers Hands", "Pretty Visitors", "Secret Door", "Dance Little Liar", "Fire and the Thud".... all the songs on that album are great).

"Standing.." is a good song. Like you say, every song is nice. But it didn't grab my attention that much as the other songs here did.

Here I'll share some of those Arctic Monkeys songs I mentioned as they're some of my favorites and anyone who hasn't heard them before should go check out those albums:

30.10.2022 - 17:10
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Man, it feels good revisiting old classics of Arctic Monkeys. Like the emotional "505", the catchy "Knee Socks", and the fun and wild "This House Is A Circus"

"505":

"Knee Socks"

"This House Is A Circus"