10. New Babylon [feat. Melissa Bonny]
11. Willow
12. My Pantheon (Forevermore)
13. Ephemera
14. Call Of The Void [Japanese bonus]

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
When proclaiming that a once all-conquering band is back on form, there are degrees to which a band can return to form. Is this the next The Black Halo or Ghost Opera? No. Is it the best thing that Kamelot have done since then? I reckon so.

Read more ››
published 16.03.2023 | Comments (6)

Found in 25 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 35   Visited by: 462 users
13.01.2023 - 06:56
Hellthunder
My first thought was that the title, tracklist and cover art seem like an AI generated Kamelot album, but the first single One More Flag In The Ground is pretty dope.
21.01.2023 - 22:34
Rating: 8
ohmayhem
Looking forward to this! i'm in the minority that really enjoyed their last effort and the opening single, though a bit different, was enjoyable. now we wait.
15.03.2023 - 17:11
Rating: 7
Kais
This one is turning out to be a hit-or-miss kind of album. While "Opus Of The Night" made me rather optimistic towards the album's release, "One More Flag In The Ground" and "Eventide" were more of the same and offerened nothing refreshing, especially the latter.

Edit: As expected, this is Karevik's best effort with Kamelot to date. Also as expected, "Opus Of The Night" is the best track, and everything else, while tight composingly, is easily forgettable and more rehashing of the typical Kamelot formula.
16.03.2023 - 15:08
Rating: 5
MeatWolf
If you thought Shadow Theory was bad, Awakening is here to make you regret that. Incredibly boring album devoid of thought and any kind of songwriting finesse. Not a single song I can call even just good. Worst Kamelot record by far.
16.03.2023 - 16:12
musclassia
Staff
Written by MeatWolf on 16.03.2023 at 15:08

If you thought Shadow Theoy was bad, Awakening is here to make you regret that. Incredibly boring album devoid of thought and any kind of songwriting finesse. Not a single song I can call even just good. Worst Kamelot record by far.

Have to say I strongly disagree; I think it's far better than The Shadow Theory and Haven, and arguably above Silverthorn as well
17.03.2023 - 09:59
Anghellic67
This was easy to grade as 7. It's all good but there is no major ups or downs. That makes it pretty forgettable though.
17.03.2023 - 10:11
KingTrask
Each album with Tommy gets progressively worse
17.03.2023 - 10:14
Itoc
Trønder
I've been a long time Kamelot fan (2005-). I understand Thomas Youngblood wants to replace "medievil themes" with "dystopian themes" to bury the nostalgia of good old days with Roy, but I think they've lost something on the way, not just in the writing and production. "Midsummer's Eve" is my favorite as it is a bitter reminder that they can add more of that "exotic Kamelot" sound.

The album is a bump up from Shadow Theory, and even with Haven at best. Silverthorne is still their best post Roy album.
I guess I just have to admit that I long for the good old days. Karma/Epica/The Black Halo were not just a good Kamelot albums, but some of the greatest metal albums, period.
17.03.2023 - 10:37
Rating: 6
Another mediocre album. Nothing changes with this band. The same old formula regurgitated over and over and over. I give up.
17.03.2023 - 10:41
Rating: 9
/Marius
My favorite Tommy-era album by far! The songs are so much more uplifting and catchy compared to the two previous albums, which is a good thing for me personally.
Favs so far are Midsummer's Eve and Bloodmoon.
17.03.2023 - 16:28
Rating: 5
MeatWolf
So no one hears Veil of Elysium in Opus Of The Night? Only Veil of Elysium was actually catchy.
17.03.2023 - 16:30
TemplarLS
This album should be titled The Mediocrening. Yea, I'm big Kamelot fan, actually one of my favorite bands, but I'm not fanboy I just want to be clear. I had high hopes when I heard Opus of the night, sounds like return to the roots a bit, but in the end turns out that this track is the only good track on the album. I'm not saying that album is bad, music is good, Tommy sings great, production is massive, a bit overproduced, too much of everything. But, would be good if we all didn't heard music like this from them, everything is the same like two previous albums. Personally better than Shadow Theory and Haven, they started that formula on Silverthorn and just trying to moderize it on every next album like adding a bit industrial feel, a bit more symphonic feel, dramatic power metal feel and in the end it turns out with too much of everything, too much. Again, ablum is not bad, but when I listened it it feels like that I already heard it 100 times, because previous two albums are same just like this one.
17.03.2023 - 21:01
Nicko's Nose
I mean, this is definitely better than The Shadow Theory atleast.

Edit: and probably better than Haven.
18.03.2023 - 09:13
Tom Muller
Same old story.
----
Can you see it
21.03.2023 - 05:15
Aries Rising
Better than the last, almost as good as Haven.
22.03.2023 - 15:41
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
A collection of a few decent tracks, "The Looking Glass" and "Bloodmoon" mainly, but also alot of mediocre one's, I don't find anything special about this really, and there are no moments that really stand-out, and the symphonic elements outshine the instrumentation substantially. Yet again I'm left thinking that this is a band capable of alot better than this.
22.03.2023 - 16:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Listened once, felt asleep, horrible band, comparing as first few was, seems Kalevik somehow , not sure. His fronted bands dont play good anymore.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.03.2023 - 16:07
JoHn Doe
Written by Bad English on 22.03.2023 at 16:03

Listened once, felt asleep, horrible band, comparing as first few was, seems Kalevik somehow , not sure. His fronted bands dont play good anymore.

not his fault, he's not the main song-writer.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
22.03.2023 - 16:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by JoHn Doe on 22.03.2023 at 16:07

No but other his Swedish band also dont deliver
----

apos;'
[image]
22.03.2023 - 16:23
JoHn Doe
Written by Bad English on 22.03.2023 at 16:19

Written by JoHn Doe on 22.03.2023 at 16:07

No but other his Swedish band also dont deliver

That's just your opinion.
I like Seventh Wonder, but not later day Kamelot. So there you go...
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
22.03.2023 - 17:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by JoHn Doe on 22.03.2023 at 16:23

That's just your opinion.
I like Seventh Wonder, but not later day Kamelot. So there you go...

To The Great Escape was ok music, last 2 albums was horrible IMO:;
----

apos;'
[image]
23.03.2023 - 02:39
Nicko's Nose
Ok this is a grower. I think it deserves to have the same rating as Silverthorn/Haven.
26.03.2023 - 04:29
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
This is what you would get if you had an AI listen to Haven and The Shadow Theory and then asked it to make you an album.

Anyway... a slight improvement from the last couple albums, but it's just all so formulaic at this point.

Can't blame Thomas for continuing, as this is how he pays the bills. With that said, it's sad that the genius behind albums like The Black Halo and Ghost Opera has basically phoned it in on songwriting.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
26.03.2023 - 19:14
metalbrat
Never a fan of Symphonic power metal even though I am a fan of Kamelot chartbuster twin albums. But this one i had just one spin and i never wanted to spin it again. I have heard everything earlier. Wont tell its bad though.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
27.03.2023 - 00:34
Rating: 9
mikeprado30
Enjoyed it so much. I found it as a nice return to their most classic sound.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
27.03.2023 - 19:57
Gag reflex
Better than expected, nothing memorable but enjoyable. I think I'll give it a few more spins.
----
'The thoughts of dead babies
Wiped away with my semen'
27.03.2023 - 21:25
Elisyon
Nothing really stands out. It's a good album but very forgettable and I've listened to it tens of times already. Solid effort but needed more work or just a complete overhaul
27.03.2023 - 21:31
JoHn Doe
Written by Elisyon on 27.03.2023 at 21:25

Nothing really stands out. It's a good album but very forgettable and I've listened to it tens of times already. Solid effort but needed more work or just a complete overhaul

I wonder though, how is an album good if it's also forgettable?!
----
27.03.2023 - 21:45
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by JoHn Doe on 27.03.2023 at 21:31

It means that it's pleasant while it's on, but nothing particularly sticks in the long run
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
27.03.2023 - 21:48
JoHn Doe
Written by RaduP on 27.03.2023 at 21:45

Written by JoHn Doe on 27.03.2023 at 21:31

It means that it's pleasant while it's on, but nothing particularly sticks in the long run

So is it "average" then?
----

Hits total: 6742 | This month: 33