Metal Storm logo
Ongoing query optimization log

04.02.2023 - 14:23
corrupt
With a lowercase c
With the database update we can now make use of better optimization for a lot of our old queries. I'm starting to do that going from the slowest we have, hogging the most resources, to the slower ones. I want to give everyone the chance to point out especially slow parts of the site for me to look at but won't make any guarantees that'll prioritize them.
My main goal with this is to improve resource use on the server to relieve stress from the database connection pool, but I'm willing to prioritize functions that hinder usability if there are ones that I'm missing.

I spent most of last weekend tuning the New posts feature. You should see significant performance improvements starting today.
----
04.02.2023 - 14:39
Redel

Written by corrupt on 04.02.2023 at 14:23

I spent most of last weekend tuning the New posts feature. You should see significant performance improvements starting today.

I can confirm that is definitely the case at my end. Performance improved significantly in the last couple of hours at New Posts. This query is now as fast as it has never been before. I dont have enough thumbs at my two hands to thumb this up appropriately.
Hope the performance there will stay as fast as it is right now.
04.02.2023 - 14:46
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Redel on 04.02.2023 at 14:39
Hope the performance there will stay as fast as it is right now.

It should. There was one particular query with ~15 seconds of execution time that is now down to a few milliseconds.
----
04.02.2023 - 17:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Updating some band profiles, whit links, email takes longer time.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.02.2023 - 21:18
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Could you please check if band_edit.php can be optimized somehow?
Editing band profiles has always been quite time-consuming, but for some profiles the process is now hardly reasonable. I timed a minor change of Buckethead's profile and it took almost 5 minutes after pressing the "submit" button. I made similar observations whenever bands have an extensive discography and/or a long history of logs. The more logs, the longer an edit takes, even if it's just the correction of a single typo.
----
signatures = SPAM
20.02.2023 - 21:46
corrupt
With a lowercase c
I just pushed a few optimizations to the member list which, for reasons that are beyond me, is responsible for a lot of slow queries over the day. Not everything is super fast now but the biggest slowdowns should be gone.
----