Metal Storm logo
Mobile navigation bar

28.04.2024 - 18:19
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Tl;dr: you can disable this in your settings if that's what you came here for.

On mobile (purely going by screen width) the site will display a simple navigation bar now. This is an attempt to make the site's interaction features more visible. People seem to live under the impression, for example, that the shoutbox doesn't work on mobile. It always has, but we want to draw even more attention to it. More than 50% of our users are mobile users now and we would like them to have as easy access to all communication features as possible.

I can see this be customizable at some point, maybe add a fourth button that can link to anything on MS for people. Or allow the forum entrypoint to be "new posts". For now, as usual, I'm just looking for feedback.

With the way the shoutbox is implemented, it is almost impossible to reliably determine whether or not a user has seen shouts and if there are new ones. My current implementation, I'm afraid, only adds to the mess that is the shoutbox in its current form, but I did my best. Let's see how things play out and what kind of issues people will have. I'm fairly certain most of you don't even know this whole forum exists, but nobody can claim I didn't try to update everyone

At any rate, please don't expect the new shouts notifications to work in any way reliable. I'll fine tune things, but need to experience the real thing myself for a while to see how it feels.
Edit: I did some tweaking and things work a lot better now. Let's see where the edge cases are.
----
28.04.2024 - 18:42
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I just left the shout on SB.

This is a great feature.
28.04.2024 - 18:43
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Quote:
Or allow the forum entrypoint to be "new posts"

this would be great
28.04.2024 - 19:03
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Fixed a rather stupid bug where you would get alerts for your own shouts.
----
28.04.2024 - 20:47
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
To complement the whole user interaction on mobile idea, the "now online" widget is now displayed under the mobile shoutbox.
----
28.04.2024 - 22:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Looks cool, colorfully done. I need fed days to use to it, since I am concervstive.
But it's so easy to switch to shout box and forum. Home to.
Good job man. Seems youre on the roll last few weeks.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.04.2024 - 23:21
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Bad English on 28.04.2024 at 22:51
Seems youre on the roll last few weeks.

That's mostly the work we did over the past three years slowly coming together. With all the backend refactoring we did it has become tremendously easier to add new stuff to the site without everything falling apart.
----