06. Limbo
07. Faceless
08. Starlight
09. Self-Satisfied Lullaby
10. Unfree My Soul

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
The trajectory of Leprous’s musical evolution across the 2010s was fast and far-reaching, with Pitfalls a long way away stylistically from Bilateral. With their two albums so far this decade, the Norwegians have slowed down this evolution, and taken stock over the territory they’ve traversed thus far.

Read more ››
published 28.08.2024 | Comments (3)

Found in 14 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 305 users
31.05.2024 - 18:16
Rating: 9
Ed plain
Ooooooo yeahhh
30.08.2024 - 11:05
annodomini
I know I`m in the minority, but I actually love everything Leprous have done, and Pitfalls is probably top 3 album ever for me. I could agree that from a metal POV it has gone soft, but musically generally, the symphonic, electronics, trip-hop, songwriting became top notch. It`s just really Unique. Aphelion was great, but weaker than Pitfalls.

But oh boy they have returned with this one! Songwriting, tension, music, vocals, atmosphere - just what I`m looking in music. Not a single filler. What a sonic journey this is!
----
the riddle wants to be...
30.08.2024 - 14:05
Vellichor
Quite the style change here, this album has a very unique feel. If you want old Leprous you aren’t going to enjoy this album any more than the other albums since Malina, but this is a fantastic rock album and easily one of the best I’ve heard this year. Every member is in top form and Baard once again showing he’s one of the most talented and creative drummers out there.
30.08.2024 - 23:02
Eternity'sChild
Really digging it, so far. I kinda get the complaint I am reading a lot that the songs all work similarly (quiet start, building to some climax towards the end). Debatable if it works well as an album, but individually, I really like most of the songs quite a lot (except Self-Satisfied Lullaby, this one doesn't click with me at all).
31.08.2024 - 07:57
Rating: 7
dammage11
I think this is a pretty solid release, more consistently interesting than their last album, but still has some fat that can be trimmed. Starlight, I hear the sirens, Unfree my Soul, and Atonement are all pretty generic and dull. The rest of the album is fairly consistently interesting, although having the best track be Faceless really deflates the ending. It’s no Bilateral or Congregation, but it’s still enjoyable!
31.08.2024 - 09:22
SamuelYK
Becomes predictable after two songs how the album is gonna be since almost every song has the same structure as some other comments pointed this out. Not bad ideas and it flows quite okay but it's Leprous and I guess we hold them accountable to a bit higher standard. Good not great
31.08.2024 - 09:59
Zap
I find it rather enjoyable, but I think I now know what bugs me about post-Malina Leprous. The vocal melodies are not as good as they were on those earlier records. Some vocal parts are just a bit unconvincing, and this album suffers from it too. That said, I think I enjoy this more than the previous two albums, so as far as I'm concerned it's a step in the right direction.
01.09.2024 - 08:10
Rating: 6
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Somehow I feel like this band is capable of a lot more than this, sure it's inventive, and the musicianship skills are top-notch once again, but I find the majority of the album bland and the vocals often dreary, and it just doesn't trigger any emotion in me
01.09.2024 - 21:06
Been meaning to listen to this but I've been too hooked with Wintersun's latest. Heard this one today and like what I hear so far.

I'm not super familiar with the band but have often heard of them mentioned with Soen and I'm a Soen fan so wanted to check this out. never liked electronic music but it's tastefully added here; i especially like it in Silently Walking Alone
02.09.2024 - 18:48
Rating: 8
Samot
It's not love at first listen...but it gets better with each listen...very good album
----
Um, Dois, Três, Quatro! Yeah! PORRA!!!
03.09.2024 - 08:21
Kuroboshi
Listening to it song by song is great, but as a whole, I think it has the same issue as the last two of Leprous: overreliance on a songwriting formula of quiet start with vulnerable vocals -> emotional build-up -> explosion -> quiet outro. I would really like to see them vary their song structures a bit, like they did on Malina and Congregation. Like a Sunken Ship for example would benefit so much if the main riff dominated the whole song instead of just one minute in the middle, 'cause it is awesome.
I just always feel with Leprous that: Man, they could be soooo good, but they get trapped in some kind of bog that makes the fantastic moments a bit too far and few between.
Still, one of my fave bands nonetheless.
03.09.2024 - 15:27
miekka18
Such a chill album but occasionally very dramatic and progressive. Pure Leprous quality right here we have all grown to love (me included)
04.09.2024 - 05:37
Nicko's Nose
Their weakest album but Leprous can’t make anything less than very good.
04.09.2024 - 10:09
X-FrEaK
I was expecting more from the singles. It follows a bit the last two albums. The last two songs are boring AF (although SS Lullaby has a really good ending, maybe one of the best parts of the whole album). Ill give it a bit more time, but i dont think it will become great
----
Today - 04:08
Lardypants
Not for me i'm afraid. One song at that pace is fine, a whole LP is to much.

Hits total: 3054 | This month: 1042