Style: Doom metal
Release date: September 2018
Guest review by: Blackcrowe

01. Nightmare
02. End Of The Line
03. One Last Failure
04. Solemn Ceremony

A Lucifer’s Ceremony...

The Australian metal scene has its share of challenges, including a smaller audience and fewer big concerts/festivals compared to Europe or America. Phil Howlett is a notable figure in this scene, contributing to projects like Lucifer's Fall, Dire Fate, Rote Mare, and the thrash band Zlórt.

Solemn Ceremony is Howlett's solo project aimed at reviving classic doom metal. The lineup includes Howlett on vocals, guitars, and bass, with Gareth Briggs on drums, plus contributions from Kieran Provis (Lucifer's Fall), Puritan) and Shayne J (Eldritch Rites, Dire Fate). Their debut album, released in 2018, blends sludge, stoner, and post-rock with traditional doom influences from bands like Pentagram, Candlemass, and Saint Vitus. The album also takes cues from contemporary Australian acts like Zombie Hunger, Lucifer's Fall, Mammon's Throne, and Dire Fate.

Solemn Ceremony features four long tracks, each over eight minutes, exploring themes of despair and the supernatural. "Nightmare" starts with powerful riffs and haunting vocals, setting a heavy, rhythmic tone. "End Of The Line" mixes clean tones with strong riffs, influenced by Candlemass and Trouble. "One Last Failure" showcases Sabbath-inspired riffs and impressive bass work. The standout song, "Solemn Ceremony," closes the album with robust riffs, exceptional drums, and captivating vocals, making it a personal favorite.

Listening to the album, it's clear Howlett draws inspiration from occult doom and 70s rock bands with a dark edge. However, the production lacks punch, especially with the light bass, making the record feel weaker compared to others in the genre. While the album is a solid doom offering, it sometimes feels repetitive. Adding more dynamic changes, like the speed metal finale on Solemn Ceremony, could improve its impact. Overall, this album shows promise, but leaves room for growth to make a stronger mark on the doom scene.

The band has another record, Demise from 2022, and plans to release a new record in 2024.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 3
Production: 5

Written by Blackcrowe | 23.07.2024

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 14 users
23.07.2024 - 22:14
Rating: 7
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Fair review! Nice to see a Lucifer's Fall-adjacent band get some attention here
23.07.2024 - 23:35
Blackcrowe
Thank you buddy, Solemn Ceremony it is good but Lucifer’s Fall it is a great band you know 👍
----
Silence shrouds the forest
As the birds announce the dawn,
Three travellers ford the river,
And southward journey on.
26.07.2024 - 22:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I will check him out, sounds interesting.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.07.2024 - 05:35
Blackcrowe
Written by Bad English on 26.07.2024 at 22:14

I will check him out, sounds interesting.

Not great but good, worth the time to listen
----
Silence shrouds the forest
As the birds announce the dawn,
Three travellers ford the river,
And southward journey on.

Hits total: 355 | This month: 9