Metal Storm logo
Angra

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 06.06.2006 - 21:24
We now have ourselves an Angra thread. woo!
So yeh. It actually took me a while to get into Angra as much as I am now, I didnt bother looking into them properly for a long time. But I am very glad I did now.

I started with their first album, 'Angels Cry' and after a couple of listens I loved it, so then I got 'Temple Of Shadows' and I didnt quite love it so much and so my Angra exploration ended there for a few months after listening to 'Holy Land' and not thinking much either.

Then not all that long ago from now, I listened to 'Temple Of Shadows' and wow! hahahaha
I cannot believe I didnt love it the first time I heard it.
I think 'Temple Of Shadows' is one of the best power metal albums of all time now!

So then I ended up getting all Angra albums and giving them all lots of attention and all the rest of it.
My 'Angels Cry' is the french special edition that has the bonus disc with three acoustic live tracks on it - and the book is signed by all the members of the band (in 1996) which was an extra bonus while buying the CD.

So then you have got to ask the question 'which Angra do you like best?' - the Angra that made the first three albums, or the one that made the last two.
It is a very hard quesion because I love all their albums (even 'Fireworks')
'Angels Cry' and 'Holy Land' are really special albums, but I think I prefer the extra 'pomp' of the new Angra
'Temple Of Shadows' is really fantastic and 'Rebirth' is a good albums too. 'Nova Era' has been in my head for days and days before.

So what do you all think of the band, the band before the big change and the current band - and which do you like best?
also any thoughts on favorite album or anything else are welcome!
Thanks!
22.06.2009 - 21:31
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Fhuesc on 29.03.2009 at 21:50

Good news indeed, i thought they were done. Yeah!!!

NEVER! The day they are done I will cry and mourn for Brazilian and metal music.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
23.06.2009 - 01:23
Zelse
All right, can't wait. Temple of Shadows ruled and Aurora Consurgens was pretty good too, I can't wait to hear news on a new album when the tour finishes up.
03.02.2010 - 01:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Angra are a really great band! And 'Temple Of Shadows' is imo one of the best metal albums of all time. Its a very special album.

Cant wait for them to bring out some new material!
03.02.2010 - 01:46
Number Juan
Been getting into them recently. Angels Cry is still my favorite but all their stuff so far (have only listened up to Rebirth) is excellent.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
03.02.2010 - 20:57
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Written by Number Juan on 03.02.2010 at 01:46

Been getting into them recently. Angels Cry is still my favorite but all their stuff so far (have only listened up to Rebirth) is excellent.

I don't really think their old stuff is as good as the newer releases. So in my opinion you've already listened to best so far (with Rebirth and Holy Land being pure gems). But it's probably just the feeling of nostalgia over those albums for me. But I bet you'll enjoy the other releases as well, since they are still beauties.

Looking forward to some new material!
03.02.2010 - 23:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Number Juan on 03.02.2010 at 01:46

You really need to hear their last two albums! 'Aurora Consurgens' is a great album, and 'Temple Of Shadows' is a total classic.
04.02.2010 - 04:06
Number Juan
I look forward to listening to those albums.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
07.02.2010 - 21:20
Silentfall
Probably the best band forever... but I've never seen them playing live at the moment...

I'm waiting for the next album
19.02.2010 - 14:41
MeTalRea|istiK
Agree!!the best band on earth if u asking me..kiko just amazing in his giutar work..rafael is master in classical plucking (no doubt bout that)...1 thing i just feel sad is ANDRE MATTOS..his vocal is more powerful then edu!!and dont forget luis mariuti,ricardo & fabio laguna..all of them have make an era of brilliant progpower metal..HAIL!!..bout their new album this year,i'm personally welcoming ricardo confesori back to the band replacing aquiles priester!!ANGRA RULEZ!!HAIL!!
03.08.2010 - 05:12
It will be released August 11st in Japan, im really looking forward to it.
04.08.2010 - 22:45
divinefire
Here is my band!!! They did very good stuff with Temple of Shadows as well as they did the Aurora Consurgens....I've listened the new single and it's amazing.I never thought that they'll come with an new album and I tought that it was the end with the Aurora Consurgens.
Here they are again and I'm very happy about that.
07.08.2010 - 15:49
Sangre Sani
Well, I like their Painkiller cover.
17.02.2011 - 07:58
Thunderhead
I only like Angra untill Temple of Shadows. Aurora Consurgeons and Aqua, didn't get the same appeal to me. I felt like it was too... not Angra. kkkkkk
But they are not bad albuns, just didn't liked that much.
Still my favorites are: Angel's Cry, Fireworks and Temple of Shadows.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
01.03.2011 - 06:02
Xtopher
My favorite and totally under rated album from Angra is Holy Land. Masterpiece of melodic folk metal.
----
04.03.2011 - 11:31
Grum
I've only listened to Temple of Shadows, but that struck me as pretty damn amazing. Melodic folk metal sounds like something i'd enjoy, i'll check out Holy Land
01.08.2020 - 18:23
Jugulador
Written by Xtopher on 01.03.2011 at 06:02

My favorite and totally under rated album from Angra is Holy Land. Masterpiece of melodic folk metal.

Holy Land is too out of the box for USA standards and most of Europe. That's why it's so underrated. But it's my favorite.