Metal Storm logo
Stolen songs (NOT covers)

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 28.06.2006 - 14:02
hey.post here the songs(metal or not)which have stolen riffs,keyboards,vocals,etc. from another band without mentioning them in their booklet...
i'll start:Limp Bizkit-behind blue eyes=same as intro of angels fall first(nightwish)
madonna-hung up=abba-gimme gimme gimme(same stupid rhythm)
children of bodom-hatebreeder=nightwish-nemo("nemo sailing home...")
of course i don't know if any one of these have the original song listed in the booklet,so i'm not quite sure...
but anyway a lot of people say that nu metal bands like linkin park and others copy all sorts of riffs and stuff from pantera and sepultura,so fire away and please no posts such as "OMFG THOSE X BAND IDIOTS COPIED THOSE UNBELIEVABLY COOL AND TALENTED GUYS FROM Y BAND'S RIFFS,VOCALS,ETC. IN Z ALBUM WHICH WENT MULTI-PLATINUM!!!WTF HOW CAN SOMEONE IN THEIR FULL CONTROL OF THE BRAIN DO THIS??!?!!?THOSE CHEAP POSER BASTARDS IMITATORS MOTHERFUCKERS!!!"
30.06.2006 - 03:23
Stigmatized
Written by KryptoN on 30.06.2006 at 00:07

I've posted this a few times elsewhere (on similar threads) but listen to these songs:
In Flames - Bullet Ride
Norther - Dead

The intro is almost 100% the same, hehe. And no I'm not saying one of them stole from the other, that would just be useless speculating. I was troubled for so long with that Norther's song (heard Bullet Ride before even knowing Norther). I was like where the hell is this from... I think it took over a year until I realized.

Holy shit. I'm glad someone else noticed this.

Ever noticed that the intro to Touch of Red by In Flames and We're not Gonna Fall by Children of Bodom sound very similar?
30.06.2006 - 03:24
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
God does Children of Bodom copy everything?!? I've always disliked them, but this makes me annoyed even more.
30.06.2006 - 04:13
Daru Jericho
Written by Guest on 30.06.2006 at 02:58

@Daru Jericho: If I Die Tommorow was recorded rather quickly and under a lot of stress and pressure in order to ressurect the band from excinction and you probably know that there was a whole reality television show and all that based on the music video to the song and everything...I think that Motley Crue recorded the song without Mick Mars because when they recorded the song, Mick might still have been undergoing hip replacement surgery in order to do the comeback with the band...that whole spiel would be for the argument that Motley Crue probably copied Zakk Wylde because Zakk's was at least done in a stable recording situation where he had stable band members and all that putting their full concentration on the creativity of the music verses the messy 'I don't really know if I'm in or not' attitude of Crue at the time...

EDIT: I looked it up and and it said that A Simple Plan was the composer on allmusic.com...I don't really know if I beleive that or not...who knows these days...it also says Nikki Sixx too...so, maybe Zakk Wylde, Nikki Sixx and A Simple Plan?

You make good points. What with Motley's reunion being a race against time, they were put under a considerable amount of pressure (and Mick's condition of course) and unstability seems apparent compared to the fully functioning Black Label Society. I guess A Simple Plan and Sixx had joint imput on it? Who knows, either way it could be passed off that Black Label Society were 'copied'. I guess we'll never know
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

30.06.2006 - 19:28
Ibanez07
Account deleted
Written by Stigmatized on 30.06.2006 at 03:23

I've posted this a few times elsewhere (on similar threads) but listen to these songs:
In Flames - Bullet Ride
Norther - Dead

The intro is almost 100% the same, hehe. And no I'm not saying one of them stole from the other, that would just be useless speculating. I was troubled for so long with that Norther's song (heard Bullet Ride before even knowing Norther). I was like where the hell is this from... I think it took over a year until I realized.

Ever noticed that the intro to Touch of Red by In Flames and We're not Gonna Fall by Children of Bodom sound very similar?

YES! THANK YOU! Wow...that's been bothering me too...like he said...now I can sleep at night lol.

I've been on a We're Not Gonna Fall high lately...esepecially the outro/post-solo lyrics by Alexi "So you thought you had the authority..." I put that part on repeat, it's so badass.
30.06.2006 - 19:31
Ibanez07
Account deleted
And speaking of In Flames' 'The Hive,' anyone notice how the solo is almost 100% from Ozzy Osbourne's [really Randy Rhoad's] solo from Mr. Crowley? 'Tis quite interesting.
30.06.2006 - 19:57
RavenLord
Written by Daru Jericho on 29.06.2006 at 00:41

DragonForce's 'Prepare For War' and 'Fury Of The Storm' both on the Sonic Firestorm album have VERY similar beginnings.

Lol. DragonForce steal melodies from themselves.

And as for the sampling vs. stealing debate, I believe it is acceptable (and should be encouraged) to musically quote or pay tribute to your influences, as Bodom did on their earlier albums with Mozart riffs or witht the bridge on Bodom after Midnight (taken from 'The Rock'). What is not acceptable in my eyes is just regurgitating riff after riff from another band, as Trivium do. What is more, Trivium seem to be limited to rehashing In Flames riffs from Clayman, which was itself commercial and unoriginal (although quite a good listen ).
----
08.07.2006 - 15:57
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by Guest on 30.06.2006 at 19:28

Written by Stigmatized on 30.06.2006 at 03:23

In Flames - Bullet Ride
Norther - Dead

YES! THANK YOU! Wow...that's been bothering me too...like he said...now I can sleep at night lol.

I've been on a We're Not Gonna Fall high lately...esepecially the outro/post-solo lyrics by Alexi "So you thought you had the authority..." I put that part on repeat, it's so badass.

Wow, everyone seems to say this. Those two intros are slightly the same, the Children Of Bodom one tails around all over the place. Everyone seems to make such a big deal out of bands that have even slightly similar parts of songs. There are so many metal bands out there, of course lots of them are going to produce stuff that might sound something like something that someone else has done. People say that with a Children Of Bodom song and a Pantera song, but they really don't sound that similar anyway. Do you really think that some bands are directly stealing parts of songs off other bands? Especially for well known bands, they'd get in shit for that. I guess some bands can have bits that sound a lot like something else but not enough so that they are pulled up for it, but in most cases that people talk about, I don't really think that's true. I do agree with others about sampling too, by the way.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
09.07.2006 - 04:03
Graveheart
Savatage - Summer's Rain
Ajattara - Antakaa Elää (translated as "let live" in case you want to know)
Evergrey - The Essence of Conviction

Yes indeed, that is three songs. I have noticed they all have this similar section that includes both vocal lines AND background melodies at the same time. In the chorus, the vocalist utters out the name of the song (the Evergrey song is an exception, it's not the chorus, it's the outro and the words are "you lied to me") and the melody that starts playing right after it is strikingly similar in all three - dramatic, catchy and haunting (and not only for what the melody feels like, it goes almost along the same notes too). The only difference is that in the Savatage song it is played on guitar and in the other two on keyboards. And that's not even everything yet... notice the vocals all repeat the same line a couple of times and there are no other lyrics in those sections.

This is a famous one... Stratovarius - Eagleheart has its intro riff ripped off from the chorus of Sonata Arctica's song "Destruction Preventer". You don't even have to listen closely, the similarity is pretty visible and clear. Oh the irony, Stratovarius is supposed to be influential to Sonata Arctica, but now the master has ripped off its apprentice...
09.07.2006 - 15:16
Vunts
Arch Enemy's song I Am Legend/Out For Blood uses the exact same riff as in the beginning of the Stormlord's song ...And Winter Was. And i think that song used one more riff from a Stormlord song, but i haven't exactly found out what.
It sounds like a complete rip-off however. Not like Atreyu - Right Side of the Bed copied In Flames - The Hive. The riff was left rather completely unchanged. But the song didn't seem like it was a cover version, plus the lyrics weren't from any Stormlord song (? not sure, but i think).
09.07.2006 - 15:59
RavenLord
You see, the problem with this debate is that we are all influenced by bands we like, whether we realise it or not. Steve Harris wanted to form a band based around a duel guitar harmony, similar to Thin Lizzy, Priest, and Wishbone Ash. Did he steal it from them? Doubtful, because you can't really claim originality in a musical world that is ever-changing. Variety is the key to success (well, popularity among true metalheadss, maybe not commerical success ), but you can't escape using ideas from other bands. The key to preventing people claiming 'OH MY GOD U tOtallY stOle that rIff!!!!11111' is for the songwriter to use the lick, riff, hook or whatever in their own way, using their own songwriting skills. As I said before, musical quotations are good, but direct rips are bad. As for Gothenburg and other Melodeth, well, it's hardly the most original genre around. I know some people who consider it watered-down pap, but at least it's good watered down pap!
----
10.07.2006 - 14:38
Hyvaarin
'Before the War' by Helloween and 'Fight' by Gamma Ray both have really similar orchestral intros.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
10.07.2006 - 14:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well,then we know who to blame...
12.07.2006 - 05:34
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
I'm still going on what I said a few posts earlier, but I was watching some National Lampoon movie called 'Adam and Eve' which turned out to be pretty gay, but anyway, it has about 573457345 songs through it, and one of them, was an insane rip off of Anthrax's Got The Time. I know what I said before, and I meant that, but this wasn't just an opening riff or anything, this was a direct steal. It had the same bass intro, except for a couple of notes, it had the same opening guitar bit, except for a couple of notes, and basically the whole song was a cover, except that it was a little too different to be a cover. I was quite shocked.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

13.07.2006 - 00:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Raiden on 12.07.2006 at 05:34

I'm still going on what I said a few posts earlier, but I was watching some National Lampoon movie called 'Adam and Eve' which turned out to be pretty gay, but anyway, it has about 573457345 songs through it, and one of them, was an insane rip off of Anthrax's Got The Time. I know what I said before, and I meant that, but this wasn't just an opening riff or anything, this was a direct steal. It had the same bass intro, except for a couple of notes, it had the same opening guitar bit, except for a couple of notes, and basically the whole song was a cover, except that it was a little too different to be a cover. I was quite shocked.

Actually Got The Time ISN'T by Anthrax but by Joe Jackson. Anthrax covered the original Joe Jackson track.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.07.2006 - 09:28
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.07.2006 at 00:13

Written by Raiden on 12.07.2006 at 05:34

Actually Got The Time ISN'T by Anthrax but by Joe Jackson. Anthrax covered the original Joe Jackson track.

Oh really? Huh, I never knew that! Thanks Ozman They must've stolen it off Joe Jackson then! As the song was too disimilar to be a cover, but obviously a rip off.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

15.07.2006 - 23:23
Prowler84
Gamma Ray clearly uses many similar riffs,keyboards,intros,etc.. of other bands. One big example is the melody on the song "New World Order" is nearly the same with Deep Purple's "Rat Bat Blue"
----
Steve Harris isn't a God.God is a S.Harris!!
16.07.2006 - 01:00
Daru Jericho
Opeth's 'Credence' (1998) has a similar drum intro to Porcupine Tree's 'Stop Swimming' (1999).
----

20.07.2006 - 18:20
SkattleSkank
Account deleted
"i'll start:Limp Bizkit-behind blue eyes=same as intro of angels fall first(nightwish)"

i'll make a correction. limbizkit's behing blue eyes is a cover of the who's song "behind blue eyes" so seeing as how The Who came before nighwish so it happens that nightwish is the crook here!
21.07.2006 - 13:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
You all heard that Yesterday from the Beatles is stolen from some Napolitan folksong, or something like that..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.07.2006 - 23:00
Remus
The intro of "Imperium" from Machinehead's "Through the Ashes of the Empire" is a lot like the intro of Arch Enemy's "Enemy Within" from "Wages os Sin"!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
27.07.2006 - 01:44
Fane
What I think is that every riff, intro etc. havent been stolen. Maybe some of them are just coincidences that they are same. what you think? Could it be like this?
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
27.07.2006 - 12:33
Daru Jericho
Written by Fane on 27.07.2006 at 01:44

What I think is that every riff, intro etc. havent been stolen. Maybe some of them are just coincidences that they are same. what you think? Could it be like this?

I think a lot of the time they can be and probably are coincedences.
----

27.07.2006 - 13:31
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 20.07.2006 at 18:20

"i'll start:Limp Bizkit-behind blue eyes=same as intro of angels fall first(nightwish)"

i'll make a correction. limbizkit's behing blue eyes is a cover of the who's song "behind blue eyes" so seeing as how The Who came before nighwish so it happens that nightwish is the crook here!

i listened to the who's behind blue eyes,and the intro is not the same.frankly it's only remotely similar and you can't say it's stolen by the guys at nightwish.
@nervel: oh fuck i was just going to say it.you took the words out of my mouth DAMN YOU!!!
yeah...we all knew that shit.i listened to the napoltan song bout every 2 hours back in the day
but really,i don't think we needed to know that.anyway thanks for posting!
28.07.2006 - 04:25
Daru Jericho
Ok, I've got a pretty insane one:

Amon Amarth's 'Where Death Seems To Dwell' has the same riff as Queensryche's 'Silent Lucidity'. Made me laugh!
----

06.08.2006 - 02:47
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Bolt Thrower copy themselves all the time. A clear example is the intro of "When Powder Burns" which is exactly the same with the intro of "Killchain", lol.
06.08.2006 - 10:54
Alizee_fan
Account deleted
Death - Evildead

Main riff is the same as intro in song called Amazone by Sortilège. There is no coincidence, because Chuck Schuldiner was always saying that Sortilège was one of his favourite bands.
07.08.2006 - 03:08
Stigmatized
A song by Fall of the Leafe called I Feathe To The Juniper has a riff in it almost identical to the intro riff to Released by Norther.
13.08.2006 - 23:59
Lowie
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.07.2006 at 18:20

Jea, you are absolutaly right. Bheind blue eyes from limb bizkit is a cover from behind blue eyes from tho who.
But, the intro isn't the same. Limb bizkit used a different intro. But that intro is the same as the intro from angels fall first. Maybe it isn't whole the same. But well, i think limb bizkit stole it from nightwish, or maybe they asked =)

But i can say one thing, i love the intro :p

greetz
14.08.2006 - 01:07
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
Astarte used the riff for Iron Maiden's Fear Of The Dark in their song Quod Superius, Sicut Inferius. Appears for a short while around 2:09.
----
14.08.2006 - 13:47
Thormier
Account deleted
Highland Glory - Break The Silence
Stratovarius - Eagle Heart