Metal Storm logo
"Fuck, I wish they'd disband before it gets even worse"

Original post

Posted by MétalNoir, 05.02.2011 - 17:45
Some metal bands get very bad with time, wether because they lack inspiration or just know how to make money with the same formula, except we're not stupid and we can realize that (this is called "sellout", for those of you who didn't know).

Then, for your mental health or simply because you dont want the band's grand legacy corrupted any further, you wish it would split apart and leave a good memory...

If you had the power to disband ONE band in the world (known it's not ours to decide that...), which one would it be?
13.03.2011 - 23:29
RavenKing
Written by MétalNoir on 13.03.2011 at 23:17

Am I the only one in this world who thinks Maiden and Metallica, as well as Megadeth and other "legends" are incredibly overrated??? Yes, they led the way in their time, but they've been out-talented a looong time ago.

No, you're not the only one. In fact, that's a reason why I find those old bands outdated and, in some cases, irrelevant nowadays. They have done their time. They were good long ago but they have been unable to catch up and progress, thus they became outdated. In no way are they impressive in this day and age.
I have this opinion in general about traditional Heavy Metal. It was a step in evolution but it is not relevant nowadays. Not after Metal music became more specialized. They never learned to play faster or more technical, incorporate new techniques, etc. And even in their own style, they made no progress, they only went downhill.
But lots of metalheads are stuck in the past and will never admit it. Metalheads, just like metal musicians, try to freeze time. Something that is impossible.

Problem is unlike mainstream artists/bands, who usually quit when they become less relevant, Metal bands stick to the scene for way too long. Take ABBA for example. They were immensely popular in the 70s and their music was great. People still like to hear their songs today. But would they be relevant as an active band nowadays? I don't think so.

What is so strange is, as far as I remember, it was generally admitted in the 90s that those old bands had been out-talented by younger bands but it seems there is some weird old-school mentality or revisionism about it since the millenia, with lots of people considering those bands as the be all and end all of metal again. As if some people suddenly went back to the 80s.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
15.03.2011 - 20:52
KvltovKthvlhv
I hate to say, Metallica, I'm one of the few who enjoyed Load and to a lesser extent Reload, but St. Anger killed it for me, and Death Magnetic, wasn't the amazing return to form everyone hypes it as, I thoroughly enjoyed some of the songs, but it was way to overdone, the songs lasted way too long for me, and continuing the Unforgiven thing was just cheap a cheap marketing ploy(In my opinion, of course)
----
When night falls she cloaks the world in impenatrable darkness, a chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air...suddenly life has new meaning
16.03.2011 - 03:50
Beheaded Prophet
Account deleted
Cryptopsy, Just listen to their first 2 albums and the 2008 Unspoken King release, see the difference, They should have disbanded when Lord Worm left that band, or just change the name of the band before they turned to deathcore bullshit.
16.03.2011 - 17:26
Guns n' roses, of course, if you can still call them Guns n' roses...

I think I don't have to give any reasons, huh?
17.03.2011 - 10:09
Autius
Oh, God of unholy demons and all that is vile and evil
I would have to say Norther, I would rather they disband as soon as Petri left and go out in a blaze of glory

but "NOOOOO!", they had to shit all over their glory and fans, and also disrespect Petri behind his back.... don't release 'Circle Regenerated' and disband.... or even just change name, just don't shit all over that which I have known as 'Norther" for years
----
Som lyset forsvinner
mørket vokser
som lyset forsvinner
Vi Brenn i mørket
som lyset forsvinner
slutten morgener i nærheten
17.03.2011 - 18:17
KvltovKthvlhv
Written by Guest on 16.03.2011 at 03:50

Cryptopsy, Just listen to their first 2 albums and the 2008 Unspoken King release, see the difference, They should have disbanded when Lord Worm left that band, or just change the name of the band before they turned to deathcore bullshit.

I never heard this one, but I also don't think I have seen one positive thing said about it anywhere, so I don't think I really need to hear it. I don't know if they should disband, but they should definitely stop pissing on their legacy.
----
When night falls she cloaks the world in impenatrable darkness, a chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air...suddenly life has new meaning
17.03.2011 - 20:11
animal
Written by consign2oblivion on 16.03.2011 at 17:26

Guns n' roses, of course, if you can still call them Guns n' roses...

I think I don't have to give any reasons, huh?

Might as well change their name to Asshole Rose & His Grossly Overinflated Ego Band.

GNR pretty much disbanded already. It's really just Asshole's solo thing now.
----
"I got 1,000 years of power! Come and get me!" Robert McLain- Royal Oak, MI
17.03.2011 - 20:33
Written by animal on 17.03.2011 at 20:11

Might as well change their name to Asshole Rose & His Grossly Overinflated Ego Band.

GNR pretty much disbanded already. It's really just Asshole's solo thing now.

Totally agree.
19.03.2011 - 03:12
Metalbound7
Written by KvltovKthvlhv on 15.03.2011 at 20:52

I hate to say, Metallica, I'm one of the few who enjoyed Load and to a lesser extent Reload, but St. Anger killed it for me, and Death Magnetic, wasn't the amazing return to form everyone hypes it as, I thoroughly enjoyed some of the songs, but it was way to overdone, the songs lasted way too long for me, and continuing the Unforgiven thing was just cheap a cheap marketing ploy(In my opinion, of course)

Totally agree, that's exactly what i think.
23.03.2011 - 13:49
Kimiwind
Speed Metal God
It would be very wise now if Mercenary disband and stop releasing any more materials in the future. The newest album is completely dull and fake. I can't see anymore the creative Mercenary that i used to see back in the last decade.
That's my wish.
----
Wintermoon Calls you, Follow It And You Will Be Proud Forever.
24.03.2011 - 01:59
Yasmine

Agree, Metallica several albums ago, and Amon Amarth.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
24.03.2011 - 04:12
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 01:59

Amon Amarth...? What have they done wrong? Agree with Cryptopsy, came here to post that. Hammerfall also deserves mention here. I'm not to well versed in their works, but their new single is pretty bad, awful compared to their debut.
24.03.2011 - 05:22
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 24.03.2011 at 04:12

Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 01:59

Amon Amarth...? What have they done wrong? Agree with Cryptopsy, came here to post that. Hammerfall also deserves mention here. I'm not to well versed in their works, but their new single is pretty bad, awful compared to their debut.

The viking theme is good enough done by Unleashed, it doesn't need it nuts cut off to be rehashed by Amon Amarth.

Hammerfall, yea they're not the same anymore imo either.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
04.04.2011 - 00:41
Vertigris
Written by Dark Blood on 05.02.2011 at 19:06

Written by Kennoth on 05.02.2011 at 18:06

Nothing I can think of. If I hate the new stuff, I'll just ignore it.

I'm with you. Actually it happened a few times before. For example, I was a big fan of Within Temptation in the 'Mother Earth' era. Then they released the third album, and when I heard it I was so disappointed I even tried to force myself into it... But then I realized it was useless, and I just ignored them since then.

Yeah. That's how I see it too. WT's older stuff (along with Lacuna Coil and Nightwish) had a fresher creative perspective... Now songs are hit and miss and quite a few are conceptually stale.
----
One is most dishonest to one's god: he is not allowed to sin.

- Friederish Nietzsche
04.04.2011 - 15:07
Zenzero
Zenzero
Sonata Arctica.... the last 2 albums suck! I can't believe they're still going on.....
04.04.2011 - 15:10
Zenzero
Zenzero
Written by _Andy_ on 12.03.2011 at 09:43

I'd go with Nightwish. They stopped making good songs a long time ago, and now that Tarja's gone that new chick's voice is nothing compared to hers and it sounds to me like it doesn't go well with the instrumental.
Arch Enemy is another band I can't stand anymore. They're a mediocre band, but what pisses me off is that they are commercialized only because they have a female vocalist that sings like a man. Big deal. Hmmm... Maybe it's just because I don't like female vocalists... They don't go well with metal.
Oh and just imagine what the fans would do if Metallica or Maiden would disband... Mass suicide They might not be as good as they were once but still I hope they will come with something great.

i think if nightwish didn't change the vocalist should become like rhapsody.... boring!
I personally love the last album with annette, yes the voice is totally different, but the sound is ok!
04.04.2011 - 17:39
Yasmine
The voice is different because she's completely untrained, Sounds awful to me.
----
05.04.2011 - 15:02
Zenzero
Zenzero
Written by Yasmine on 04.04.2011 at 17:39

The voice is different because she's completely untrained, Sounds awful to me.

Different tastes..
I also prefer anette on stage! she's 1000 nicer than tarja!
but I think it's impossible compare them! i like both!
07.04.2011 - 00:37
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Of course Slipknot. They just produced some medicore shitty poser Nu metal. Now, with their bassist dead, I suggest that they really stop....
07.04.2011 - 20:12
Sepulnation
Written by Zenzero on 04.04.2011 at 15:07

Sonata Arctica.... the last 2 albums suck! I can't believe they're still going on.....

Agreeeeeeeee
----
fuck shit up!
09.04.2011 - 18:25
SatyriconChick
What a pathetic thread... Sorry, but it is. Why should ANY band call it quits just because a few overly critical fans think their current direction or albums "suck???" But to play devil's advocate, I'll take part and say Burzum. He's a disgusting, murderous Nazi c**t who has no business making what he considers to be "music," never has in the first place.
10.04.2011 - 03:54
RobertWagner
Written by RavenKing on 13.03.2011 at 23:29

Am I the only one in this world who thinks Maiden and Metallica, as well as Megadeth and other "legends" are incredibly overrated??? Yes, they led the way in their time, but they've been out-talented a looong time ago.

No, you're not the only one. In fact, that's a reason why I find those old bands outdated and, in some cases, irrelevant nowadays. They have done their time. They were good long ago but they have been unable to catch up and progress, thus they became outdated. In no way are they impressive in this day and age.
I have this opinion in general about traditional Heavy Metal. It was a step in evolution but it is not relevant nowadays. Not after Metal music became more specialized. They never learned to play faster or more technical, incorporate new techniques, etc. And even in their own style, they made no progress, they only went downhill.
But lots of metalheads are stuck in the past and will never admit it. Metalheads, just like metal musicians, try to freeze time. Something that is impossible.

Problem is unlike mainstream artists/bands, who usually quit when they become less relevant, Metal bands stick to the scene for way too long. Take ABBA for example. They were immensely popular in the 70s and their music was great. People still like to hear their songs today. But would they be relevant as an active band nowadays? I don't think so.

What is so strange is, as far as I remember, it was generally admitted in the 90s that those old bands had been out-talented by younger bands but it seems there is some weird old-school mentality or revisionism about it since the millenia, with lots of people considering those bands as the be all and end all of metal again. As if some people suddenly went back to the 80s.

Relevant to what? Good music is good music. Sure, Metallica has fallen off, but Maiden (and Megadeth too, to an extent) have released some good stuff in the last ten years. It doesn't need to push boundaries to be good music or even good metal.
10.04.2011 - 04:00
@gent_-_orange
Written by SatyriconChick on 09.04.2011 at 18:25

What a pathetic thread... Sorry, but it is. Why should ANY band call it quits just because a few overly critical fans think their current direction or albums "suck???" But to play devil's advocate, I'll take part and say Burzum. He's a disgusting, murderous Nazi c**t who has no business making what he considers to be "music," never has in the first place.

Couldnt agree more. Hes a fucking scumbag who released half a good album at most IMO
10.04.2011 - 04:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I'd give a thumbs up to Varg calling it a day, but to say he created half a good album...I simply cannot get on board with that.

I'm far from a Burzum fanboy - I can tell you Varg's flaws (musically, no point getting into his personality) just as I can point out his assets, but I'm of the belief that most modern black metal pales in comparison to anything Varg released pre-life sentence.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.04.2011 - 04:12
@gent_-_orange
Sorry if my post seemed a bit angry, But the only album by burzum i somewhat enjoyed was filosofem and even then i think it could have done without the last two songs, i just cant get into burzum all that much... Buts its all about opinions i guess.
10.04.2011 - 07:17
RavenKing
Written by RobertWagner on 10.04.2011 at 03:54

Written by RavenKing on 13.03.2011 at 23:29

Relevant to what? Good music is good music. Sure, Metallica has fallen off, but Maiden (and Megadeth too, to an extent) have released some good stuff in the last ten years. It doesn't need to push boundaries to be good music or even good metal.

Yes, good music is good music. Last time we heard good music from Maiden was when SSOASS has been released in 1988.
Most of what they released in the last 10 years is more mock-progressive shit than Metal.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
10.04.2011 - 09:35
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I'll second Burzum. Very overrated band. Det Som and Filosofem are the only above average albums Varg released, and his Jailtime albums just showed how poor he really is a writing good atmospheric music.
10.04.2011 - 13:42
Vombatus
Potorro
I think a band should disband when ever they want to.
If I see it turns into shit, I just ignore them instead of whining.

Stupid thread, but just my 2 cents.
10.04.2011 - 14:02
JD
Account deleted
Written by Vombatus on 10.04.2011 at 13:42

I think a band should disband when ever they want to.
If I see it turns into shit, I just ignore them instead of whining.

Stupid thread, but just my 2 cents.

Somehow i agree with you.
10.04.2011 - 15:56
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 10.04.2011 at 09:35

I'll second Burzum. Very overrated band. Det Som and Filosofem are the only above average albums Varg released, and his Jailtime albums just showed how poor he really is a writing good atmospheric music.

Before "Fallen" released, I would agree with this (the disbanding part only, because IMO Varg's pre-jail albums are some of the best in Atmospheric BM that so many try to copy yet fail). Not so sure now. I'm not saying "Fallen" is a brilliant album or anything, but it's a major step up from "Belus", which implies that Varg can keep on improving, possibly up to the point where he can make something really awesome again. Maybe that's just far-fetched wishful thinking, though.