Metal Storm logo
"Fuck, I wish they'd disband before it gets even worse"

Original post

Posted by MétalNoir, 05.02.2011 - 17:45
Some metal bands get very bad with time, wether because they lack inspiration or just know how to make money with the same formula, except we're not stupid and we can realize that (this is called "sellout", for those of you who didn't know).

Then, for your mental health or simply because you dont want the band's grand legacy corrupted any further, you wish it would split apart and leave a good memory...

If you had the power to disband ONE band in the world (known it's not ours to decide that...), which one would it be?
19.02.2011 - 02:50
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.02.2011 at 02:19

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.02.2011 at 02:12

Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.02.2011 at 23:36

Anyone for Arch Enemy?

Honestly after Roots ... I'm for...

The Root of All Evil is undoubtedly one of the worst "compilation" albums I've ever listened to. It's not just a matter of "tarnishing Liiva's legacy" as some people might argue, but the entire album is just ugly. Angela's vocals are weak and unfitting of the original songs, the production is inappropriately grimy, and each song seems - musically - worse. For that release alone I'd say they have my wish to disband, but they've been releasing generic melo-death/thrash for way too long now.

well I indeed enjoyed just half of Rise Of Tyrant ....
And the album before
And the one before that...
And so on...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.02.2011 - 03:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.02.2011 at 02:50

well I indeed enjoyed just half of Rise Of Tyrant ....
And the album before
And the one before that...
And so on...

And you aren't the only one to like their music. Obviously they're doing something right given the amount of fans they've accumulated over the years - I for one just find their modern sound rather bland. I enjoyed Wages of Sin and a little bit of Anthems, but the rest is just rehashed ideas they've already beaten to death (as have other bands) that weren't that good to begin with.

This used to be my favorite band, and I used to be one of those people who said Gossow was a much better vocalist than Liiva; since then I've changed stances completely, and I definitely don't regard Arch Enemy as one of my favorite bands.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.02.2011 - 08:29
Slayer... christ illusions is straight up turning thrashcore like the bad half of god hates us all...
theyve decided to fade away till no one even cares who they are rather then burnout as badasses
most ppl blame jeff, becuz hes the punker and should be more prone to that but hes the one that wrote
war ensemble, angel of death, Raining Blood, Mandatory Suicide, Seasons in the Abyss...
i swear its kerry... hes so extremest... he hates reliogion so much (im a athiest btw) he takes it to far
so far he thinks its "hardcore" to hate religion....
----
Immortal soul, takes control! Immortal soul, Thrash till Death!
(death To "posthardcore")
19.02.2011 - 13:15
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 19.02.2011 at 01:29

pointless. then wintersun disbanding would win let-down year after year... or some variant, as in "wintersun not reuniting" would. we would need the very existence of wintersun to be wiped from the space-time continuum.

Best post I've read all week. Although, I don't think it would actually happen (the Wintersun not reuniting part).
19.02.2011 - 16:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Anyone for Arch Enemy?

The Root of All Evil is undoubtedly one of the worst "compilation" albums I've ever listened to. It's not just a matter of "tarnishing Liiva's legacy" as some people might argue, but the entire album is just ugly. Angela's vocals are weak and unfitting of the original songs, the production is inappropriately grimy, and each song seems - musically - worse. For that release alone I'd say they have my wish to disband, but they've been releasing generic melo-death/thrash for way too long now.

Bah! Yeah, Root Of All Evil was pretty shitty, granted. However, I must be one of the few that thoroughly enjoys Rise Of The Tyrant. All the previous album didn't really do too much for me save maybe 3 songs from each, however, Rise Of The Tyrant was one of those "riff-drenched" albums I like...and it sounded less "computerized" than all their other Gossow stuff.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.02.2011 - 16:34
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 19.02.2011 at 00:02

Wintersun should have officially disbanded after their debut, so they wouldn't have been under pressure to release Time and the fans wouldn't have been biting their nails all this time. That way, should they eventually release a new album, it would come as a nice surprise as opposed to the disappointment of the decade.

They should have put the band on hiatus, at the very least. I've seen bands on hiatus and even bands who called a quit coming back with a new album faster than Wintersun after their debut.
Would be much better than posting lame excuses only fanboys still believe.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
19.02.2011 - 16:37
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Doc G. on 19.02.2011 at 16:14

Anyone for Arch Enemy?

Bah! Yeah, Root Of All Evil was pretty shitty, granted. However, I must be one of the few that thoroughly enjoys Rise Of The Tyrant. All the previous album didn't really do too much for me save maybe 3 songs from each, however, Rise Of The Tyrant was one of those "riff-drenched" albums I like...and it sounded less "computerized" than all their other Gossow stuff.

well I didnt say that I didnt enjoyed Rise of Tyrant...
I really like that one...
And also i like something like half of Gossow stuff ...but than again Roots were somehow ...you know...not "it"...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
20.02.2011 - 07:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 18.02.2011 at 00:40

Written by wormdrink414 on 17.02.2011 at 23:59

Without fans of bad bands, bad bands wouldn't be recording bad albums every year.

That's no excuse for stereotyping people who like Korpiklaani as imbeciles, based solely on the fact that they support one of their favorite bands, because - guess what - that's what we all do. You're defending the kind of behavior that should be completely unacceptable on MS, joking or no joking.

I hope you didn't honestly think I was being sincere when I made that comment? It was a jest. Sure, I may question your taste, but I tell that same joke to some of my friends who had the misfortune of being drawn to Korpiklaanis music. You may have read the wrong tone to that comment.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.02.2011 - 10:12
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 20.02.2011 at 07:06

Written by Guest on 18.02.2011 at 00:40

Written by wormdrink414 on 17.02.2011 at 23:59

Without fans of bad bands, bad bands wouldn't be recording bad albums every year.

That's no excuse for stereotyping people who like Korpiklaani as imbeciles, based solely on the fact that they support one of their favorite bands, because - guess what - that's what we all do. You're defending the kind of behavior that should be completely unacceptable on MS, joking or no joking.

I hope you didn't honestly think I was being sincere when I made that comment? It was a jest. Sure, I may question your taste, but I tell that same joke to some of my friends who had the misfortune of being drawn to Korpiklaanis music. You may have read the wrong tone to that comment.

I knew you might not have been serious, but I still didn't like it. Also, I don't understand why that other guy immediately assumed I was a Korpiklaani fan. Weird. Anyway, this has already been discussed to death, so I think we'd better drop it.
21.02.2011 - 14:29
VampyJess
Cradle of Filth, should have been put to rest a long time ago
21.02.2011 - 20:31
ANGEL REAPER
Written by VampyJess on 21.02.2011 at 14:29

Cradle of Filth, should have been put to rest a long time ago

I'm for...
----
21.02.2011 - 20:44
Wyrd
Not sure if they've been said already but... Nightwish. I mean, come on! Even the last two albums that had Tarja were getting a little Meh. And I really don't see the point in them making a movie.

Also, Children of Bodom. Did they just sat fuck it after Follow the reaper? After hearing their latest song I can safely say it was not worth it.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
21.02.2011 - 20:49
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Wyrd on 21.02.2011 at 20:44

Not sure if they've been said already but... Nightwish. I mean, come on! Even the last two albums that had Tarja were getting a little Meh. And I really don't see the point in them making a movie.

Yes it was mentioned before ....but how to explain that obvious fact to bunch of fanboys/fangirls (read few pages back)?
----
22.02.2011 - 00:34
VampyJess

Also, Children of Bodom. Did they just sat fuck it after Follow the reaper? After hearing their latest song I can safely say it was not worth it.

Making a film!? WTF? How awfull is that going to be!
22.02.2011 - 01:40
ToMegaTherion
There are many bands that you might agree that this is the best possible course of action, however, in some case bands do manage to rediscover their roots and get back to what is good. obviously not all but i dare say in most cases it is worth adopting a 'wait and see' approach. Have a listen to the new album and if good buy it if not don't. Your not doing them any favours by buying shit albums.
22.02.2011 - 02:13
RavenKing
Written by ToMegaTherion on 22.02.2011 at 01:40

Your not doing them any favours by buying shit albums.

Very good point. And one that is so often overlooked or not understood.
Buying shitty albums only encourage bands to remain shitty or get even worse. Also, it contributes to a decrease in the overall quality of metal music and encourages other bands to make the same kind of sellout move.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
22.02.2011 - 04:47
Wyrd
Written by VampyJess on 22.02.2011 at 00:34

Making a film!? WTF? How awfull is that going to be!

After reading the press statement on their website and seeing the poster and knowing that Tuomas is a most likely a big Nightmare before Xmas fan, It's probably going to be some crappy tim burton esqe crap fest.
----
22.02.2011 - 14:57
ANGEL REAPER
Written by RavenKing on 22.02.2011 at 02:13

Written by ToMegaTherion on 22.02.2011 at 01:40

Your not doing them any favours by buying shit albums.

Very good point. And one that is so often overlooked or not understood.
Buying shitty albums only encourage bands to remain shitty or get even worse. Also, it contributes to a decrease in the overall quality of metal music and encourages other bands to make the same kind of sellout move.

I agree,that is reason why my collection is one of the "illegal " kind....
btw good point!I agree...
----
22.02.2011 - 15:20
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Wyrd on 22.02.2011 at 04:47

After reading the press statement on their website and seeing the poster and knowing that Tuomas is a most likely a big Nightmare before Xmas fan, It's probably going to be some crappy tim burton esqe crap fest.

Let's keep a little optimism, shall we? Not all albums turned into movies in the history of music have been crap. Remember Interstella 5555?
22.02.2011 - 15:38
Wyrd
Written by Guest on 22.02.2011 at 15:20

Let's keep a little optimism, shall we? Not all albums turned into movies in the history of music have been crap. Remember Interstella 5555?

Nope
----
22.02.2011 - 17:56
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Wyrd on 22.02.2011 at 15:38

Nope

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368667/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjli3hj0ZkM

It may not be the average metalhead's cup of tea, but it's damn cool.
23.02.2011 - 02:46
Wyrd
Written by Guest on 22.02.2011 at 17:56

Written by Wyrd on 22.02.2011 at 15:38

Nope

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368667/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjli3hj0ZkM

It may not be the average metalhead's cup of tea, but it's damn cool.

Dam that evil music executive!! Lol! I'm sorry but this looks like it's really not for me. Techno and Anime? No thanks! Anyway, I think we're getting a little off topic
----
23.02.2011 - 10:14
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Wyrd on 23.02.2011 at 02:46

Dam that evil music executive!! Lol! I'm sorry but this looks like it's really not for me. Techno and Anime? No thanks! Anyway, I think we're getting a little off topic

Actually, it's house and anime LOL. I just used it as an example of how a good album can be turned into a cool little movie. Hopefully Nightwish will manage to do the same.
24.02.2011 - 01:22
Wyrd
House? Sounds like Techno to me
----
24.02.2011 - 02:12
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
House and techno are actually two separate genres of music...you might not see it but the both of those are disincentive from each other...so what if a metal band puts in house and techno elements anyway...
25.02.2011 - 00:28
Wyrd
Okay
----
25.02.2011 - 01:26
ANGEL REAPER
I must say that I've seriously lost myself in this topic....We were writing about metal,not movies and techno/house crap...
And yes I agree with the one that think that making a film is not a good idea for Nightwish....
----
26.02.2011 - 17:48
jijibu
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter
27.02.2011 - 07:52
neros1x
Metallica. They somewhat redeemed themselves with Death Magnetic, but hurry up and use the fork before we have another St. Anger.
27.02.2011 - 18:44
Thor26
"Nightwish don't need to rethink anything, because Tarja didn't write anything. She made no music, no lyrics, no anything. She sang only and to be frank, since she didn't use her opera voice on the last two albums, she might as well have handed the mic over to Marco, who's always been superior right after Wishmaster." - ErnilEnNaur

"?But anyways, Nightwish disbanding would break my heart...and like you said, Tarja leaving didn't really change them much anyways. I'm fine with Anette and Marco. - Grimm

You two should really consider laying off that ganja. Maybe that way you'll increase your chances to learn discerning some musical quality?

"Queensryche. nothing but shit since Promised Land." - The Shape 1973

Same here.
I'll say Queensryche and Nightwish. Ozzy Osbourne will definitely top them though.
----
With Odin on our side!