Metal Storm logo
Band Profiles: Report Mistakes

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 15.03.2011 - 18:14
This is your place to report mistakes with our featured bands, in the same way as the last thread:

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=3137
21.12.2014 - 18:42
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by LeKiwi on 21.12.2014 at 18:26

Can someone change Lulu's style tag? I don't have any suggestions, but I remember it's not thrash.

It's "trash"
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
21.12.2014 - 18:43
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 21.12.2014 at 18:41

good point
temporally alternative, prog rock

Cheers
21.12.2014 - 18:48
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Also Opeth - Damnation is progressive rock.
21.12.2014 - 18:57
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
...and Pain Of Salvation is should be:

- Progressive metal 1991-2008
- Progressive rock 2009-
21.12.2014 - 19:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Idk what style is Lulu anybody can suggest me
I never have listened it and now well its thrashy, its prog, alt ,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.12.2014 - 19:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 21.12.2014 at 18:57

...and Pain Of Salvation is should be:

- Progressive metal 1991-2008
- Progressive rock 2009-

done
----

apos;'
[image]
21.12.2014 - 19:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 21.12.2014 at 18:48

Also Opeth - Damnation is progressive rock.

indeed it is done
same tome Devin . I don't care about him, I don't know him, he changes styles as Madonna, so I cant label it ley his experts do it
----

apos;'
[image]
21.12.2014 - 19:13
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Added mathcore (2003-) to Hypno5e.
21.12.2014 - 21:49
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by M C Vice on 18.12.2014 at 11:34

Dev's The Hummer album is supposed to be like DevLab (haven't heard it myself), so could it get changet, too?

Definitely with you on that.

I'm thinking ambient + experimental.
21.12.2014 - 22:07
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I've deleted all the following comments and put them all into one post:

...and Devin Townsend's Addicted is progressive industrial metal and Ki is progressive industrial metal + atmospheric (progressive) rock...or something like that...I'm not too sure about the latter Perhaps change the progressive industrial metal tag to 1996-2009 and add some rock thing to Ki.

Saturnian sounds quite similar to modern Dimmu, so their styles should be the same, whether that's extreme symphonic or symphonic black.

...and Witherscape should be extreme progressive metal. There's no death metal in their music.

IMO, Disillusion isn't fairly depicted by "progressive metal". I think that either "extreme prog", "prog melodeath", or both should be added. In the end it would look something like this:

Extreme progressive metal (1994 - 2005)
Progressive melodic death metal (1994 - 2005)
Progressive metal (2006 - )

Just listened to some of The Devil's Blood's music - I don't know what it is, but it's definitely not hard rock. I'll listen to some more when I've got the time.

On the topic of Jucifer, I just listened to their album L'Autrichienne and I'm pretty sure what I'm hearing - see the 2nd track - is crust punk. Can anyone comment on this? Come to think of it...the album has absolutely no consistency style-wise. Perhaps an experimental tag would be the most appropriate?

From my perspective Schammasch's styles need some modification. I heard hear a strong prevalence of sludge, black, and death, with proggy overtones throughout. While these styles overlap at times, I'm unsure as to a definite categorisation. Any thoughts?
Written by Ilham on 06.12.2014 at 23:24

I would call it progressive black. But as I said in the review, at times it just does such a great job at integrating death and some sludge that it's to tell without discriminating. Wouldn't call it prevalently sludge at all though. To me there is no doubt this is based in orthodox black metal, so black metal has to remain in the tag, whether we want to add progressive or death to it.

Written by Ilham on 05.12.2014 at 11:02

Full Of Hell are hardcore PUNK + grindocre + noise. Approximately in that order of importance.

There appears to be a space after the blues style as seen on Jethro Tull's This Was.

"Progressive rock, Blues , Jazz" should be "Progressive rock, Blues, Jazz".

Atheist should be Progressive (Technical) Death (Thrash?) Metal (all years).

Nero Di Marte is no longer alternative metal after their last release. Also I don't think the extreme prog tag is appropriate

Also Myrath and Aeternam have significant oriental (folk) influences.

MaYaN are most definitely not melodic death metal. Symphonic something...extreme symphonic + progressive metal?

Sunpocrisy - Progressive Sludge Metal + Post-Metal (2012-present) - Prog Archives.

Samael's Passage is not simply black metal - not sure what to put there.

Whispered should have folk somewhere in their genre tag.

Fusion needs to be added to Alarum.

Stam1na isn't heavy metal - I can't help there.

Ancient Ascendant should have some combination of black / thrash / melodeath.

I have no idea what in the world !T.O.O.H.!'s latest is, but I don't think it's technical death metal + progressive grindcore. I would suggest something, but...I just...no idea...

I think that Loch Vostok is progressive melodic death metal, not extreme progressive metal.

I don't that there's much death metal to Gojira's sound, at least not since their debut.

Trollfest should be spelled TrollfesT ----> source. Same as SikTh
22.12.2014 - 01:43
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Bad English on 21.12.2014 at 19:03

I'd say heavy metal/experimental hard rock. Not proggy at all, maybe avant-garde but somehow it doesn't feel like it.
22.12.2014 - 02:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Unhealer on 22.12.2014 at 01:43

Written by Bad English on 21.12.2014 at 19:03

I'd say heavy metal/experimental hard rock. Not proggy at all, maybe avant-garde but somehow it doesn't feel like it.

well I hate those non standard genres
----

apos;'
[image]
22.12.2014 - 03:30
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by LeKiwi on 21.12.2014 at 22:07

I've deleted all the following comments and put them all into one post:

...and Devin Townsend's Addicted is progressive industrial metal and Ki is progressive industrial metal + atmospheric (progressive) rock...or something like that...I'm not too sure about the latter Perhaps change the progressive industrial metal tag to 1996-2009 and add some rock thing to Ki.

Saturnian sounds quite similar to modern Dimmu, so their styles should be the same, whether that's extreme symphonic or symphonic black.

...and Witherscape should be extreme progressive metal. There's no death metal in their music.

Ki's industrial? It sounds more like the link between Ghost, Epicloud and Casualties Of Cool . Bit bluesy at times, too. That said, I'm not really sure what to call it either.
While the Saturnian album sounds like symphonic black ,something about it to me suggests the black metal sounds are incidental, rather than an integral part of their sound. Have to wait until they put out a 2nd to see if it's still there.
There's some death in Whitherscape, whether it's enough to count or not I don't know.

Written by LeKiwi on 21.12.2014 at 22:07

On the topic of Jucifer, I just listened to their album L'Autrichienne and I'm pretty sure what I'm hearing - see the 2nd track - is crust punk. Can anyone comment on this? Come to think of it...the album has absolutely no consistency style-wise. Perhaps an experimental tag would be the most appropriate?

Listening to it again, maybe sludge, crust, alt metal, alt rock, punk and maybe even folk/folk rock?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
22.12.2014 - 10:57
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by M C Vice on 22.12.2014 at 03:30

Ki's industrial? It sounds more like the link between Ghost, Epicloud and Casualties Of Cool . Bit bluesy at times, too. That said, I'm not really sure what to call it either.
While the Saturnian album sounds like symphonic black ,something about it to me suggests the black metal sounds are incidental, rather than an integral part of their sound. Have to wait until they put out a 2nd to see if it's still there.
There's some death in Whitherscape, whether it's enough to count or not I don't know.

Listening to it again, maybe sludge, crust, alt metal, alt rock, punk and maybe even folk/folk rock?

Devin: yeah, tracks 2-4, 6, 9, and 11 still exhibit strong prog industrial traits. I just realised that the other half of the album sounds quite like Porcupine Tree's acoustic passages. That probably doesn't help either

Saturnian: would you agree that they sound near identical to Dimmu?

Witherscape: really? Where have you heard any death metal?

Jucifer: I think the staff would be happier with just experimental in that case
22.12.2014 - 11:08
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by LeKiwi on 22.12.2014 at 10:57

Written by M C Vice on 22.12.2014 at 03:30

Devin: yeah, tracks 2-4, 6, 9, and 11 still exhibit strong prog industrial traits. I just realised that the other half of the album sounds quite like Porcupine Tree's acoustic passages. That probably doesn't help either

Saturnian: would you agree that they sound near identical to Dimmu?

Witherscape: really? Where have you heard any death metal?

Jucifer: I think the staff would be happier with just experimental in that case

Yeah, Saturnian sound like a more sophisticated Dimmu.
You probably shouldn't take my opinion about death metal, I don't listen to much of it anyway. I did say it's probably not enough to count. Little bits, but not much.
Just call Jucifer kitchen sink metal.;D It's not weird enough to be experimental, and the songs don't change styles within themselves, but I don't know what to call it without using half a page. Alternative crust sludge?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
22.12.2014 - 20:28
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
God Macabre: death metal tag needs to be changed from 1989-1992 to 1989-1993, else their album The Winterlong has no style tags.
22.12.2014 - 20:37
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 22.12.2014 at 20:28

God Macabre: death metal tag needs to be changed from 1989-1992 to 1989-1993, else their album The Winterlong has no style tags.

When exactly did they break up? Kind of odd that they would have broken up in '92 but released an album at the end of '93; not impossible, just odd.

And actually, since they're back together as of 2013, the styles should be 1989 - Death metal, with the break up info being added to the hiatus/breakup info field (that's what that was created for after all). You should be able to see that text box when you click Edit band, yes?
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

22.12.2014 - 21:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by psykometal on 22.12.2014 at 20:37

When exactly did they break up? Kind of odd that they would have broken up in '92 but released an album at the end of '93; not impossible, just odd.

I did some research. Apparently the album was recorded in December 1991 only to be released two years later, in December 1993.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.12.2014 - 22:18
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.12.2014 at 21:03

I did some research. Apparently the album was recorded in December 1991 only to be released two years later, in December 1993.

And why aren't you part of the Db Staff?

And so did they break up in 92 or 93?
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

22.12.2014 - 23:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by psykometal on 22.12.2014 at 22:18

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.12.2014 at 21:03

And why aren't you part of the Db Staff?

And so did they break up in 92 or 93?

They broke up in 92
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.12.2014 - 08:28
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by psykometal on 22.12.2014 at 20:37

And actually, since they're back together as of 2013, the styles should be 1989 - Death metal, with the break up info being added to the hiatus/breakup info field (that's what that was created for after all). You should be able to see that text box when you click Edit band, yes?

I just added the break-up info.

The 1993 album The Winterlong still needs a death metal style tag in that case. Can someone add it?
23.12.2014 - 08:41
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
IR8 needs to be removed from Jason Newsted's profile. He was only part of Sexoturica which wrote a compilation with IR8.
23.12.2014 - 10:28
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I think that All Pigs Must Die should be:
- Grindcore (2010-)
- Hardcore (2010-)

Speaking of hardcore, I think MS needs to set a standard name for the style, whether it be hardcore punk or hardcore. According to previous comments on the topic, there doesn't seem to be any significant differences between the two. Add to that the fact that the average person probably can't identify any underlying nuances in addition to improved site navigation...just my two cents.
23.12.2014 - 11:26
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by LeKiwi on 23.12.2014 at 10:28

I think that All Pigs Must Die should be:
- Grindcore (2010-)
- Hardcore (2010-)

Speaking of hardcore, I think MS needs to set a standard name for the style, whether it be hardcore punk or hardcore. According to previous comments on the topic, there doesn't seem to be any significant differences between the two. Add to that the fact that the average person probably can't identify any underlying nuances in addition to improved site navigation...just my two cents.

I agree for All Pigs Must Die.

To be honest, I think the difference is big enough to have two different tags. Ideally, there should be no difference, but the use of the two things indicates two different sounds, I could compare it to when you tag something "industrial"' rather than "industrial metal". It's very confusing, but when a band has a very primitive approach to the genre, I don't think the "punk" addition hurts. There's a whole world between Bad Brains and Baptists.

But, if the staff wants one and only tag, I suggest just "hardcore", just so as not to confuse the users with an unnecessary "punk" tag on the bands that definitely dropped the punk a long time ago.
23.12.2014 - 12:15
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Ilham on 23.12.2014 at 11:26

To be honest, I think the difference is big enough to have two different tags. Ideally, there should be no difference, but the use of the two things indicates two different sounds, I could compare it to when you tag something "industrial"' rather than "industrial metal". It's very confusing, but when a band has a very primitive approach to the genre, I don't think the "punk" addition hurts. There's a whole world between Bad Brains and Baptists.

But, if the staff wants one and only tag, I suggest just "hardcore", just so as not to confuse the users with an unnecessary "punk" tag on the bands that definitely dropped the punk a long time ago.

The difference between industrial and industrial metal is significant, but I'm not sure it serves as a accurate comparison. Could you give me an example of hardcore vs. hardcore punk? If this is the band Babtists, then they're definitely not pure hardcore.
23.12.2014 - 12:27
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by LeKiwi on 23.12.2014 at 12:15

The difference between industrial and industrial metal is significant, but I'm not sure it serves as a accurate comparison. Could you give me an example of hardcore vs. hardcore punk? If this is the band Babtists, then they're definitely not pure hardcore.

I'm just trying to guive you an example of how some people call industrial metal bands just "industrial" when in fact real industrial is something completely different. Same for hardcore and hardcore punk.
That's the band I was talking about. I guess I should have been super extra careful before posting that comment since you like nitpicking. It was just to illustrate the gap between modern hardcore and old school hardcore, even if Baptists still retain a lot from the original sound, they're a good example of how metallic modern hardcore is.
23.12.2014 - 12:41
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Ilham on 23.12.2014 at 12:27

I'm just trying to guive you an example of how some people call industrial metal bands just "industrial" when in fact real industrial is something completely different. Same for hardcore and hardcore punk.
That's the band I was talking about. I guess I should have been super extra careful before posting that comment since you like nitpicking. It was just to illustrate the gap between modern hardcore and a old school hardcore, even if Baptists still retain a lot from the original sound, they're a good example of how metallic modern hardcore is.

Gotcha

I'm simply thorough Are you essentially saying that hardcore punk is old-school hardcore? Can you post pure hardcore punk and pure hardcore song? I just want to hear the differences clearly
23.12.2014 - 12:52
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by LeKiwi on 23.12.2014 at 12:41

Gotcha

I'm simply thorough Are you essentially saying that hardcore punk is old-school hardcore? Can you post pure hardcore punk and pure hardcore song? I just want to hear the differences clearly

Hehe coolio .

Well, I suppose I said it was "old-school" just to help differentiate the two. But yeah, you could maybe retain it just as a mnemonic trick maybe.

I'll use two big names. Black Flag, one of the "founders" of hardcore punk in 1981:

Throwing in some Doom who's a very good representative of the "old-school":

And Hatebreed, one of the biggest name of (pure modern) hardcore - I'm sure you know them, there's of course very distinctive "punk" elements at the base of it, but you can hear how metallic it is. Most of what we call hardcore now sounds more like Hatebreed than Black Flag. This is 2003:

23.12.2014 - 13:08
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Ilham on 23.12.2014 at 12:52

Aaaaaahhhhh, fuck. This is too much for me. Crust punk, hardcore punk, hardcore, who knows what else...
23.12.2014 - 13:22
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by LeKiwi on 23.12.2014 at 13:08

Aaaaaahhhhh, fuck. This is too much for me. Crust punk, hardcore punk, hardcore, who knows what else...

Haha. I haven't linked any crust punk yet, it's basically more up-beat, very lo-fi, angrier hardcore punk. Doom played a lot of it. And you find a lot of it in some bm.
There's also d-beat, which is specific to that uptempo drum beat Discharged played.

Yeah I know it's hard, I've studied pages and pages of forums and sites to get just a tiny idea of what this all is. I'm hardly starting to see the differences myself, I am still reading up on the genre's whole history.

But for now, just remember the difference between Doom and Hatebreed and you'll be able to differentiate between at least 50% of what you see called hardcore or hardcore punk.