Metal Storm logo
Your opinion on Smoking

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 26.05.2007 - 21:32
So, I was listening to a conversation about multi-million dollar corperations and stocks, when it suddenly dawned on me that I could open a thread about this.I notice that there are already a few smoke related threads on here, but there is no actual thread about the subject of smoking. This thread is basicly exactly what the title says, what is you oppinion about smoking? Be detailed, about things like smoking in public places, around children, age apropriate, whether or not you smoke, if it should even be allowed to continue legally.

As for my personal oppinion, I personally don't smoke, but I know lots of people that do. I have family that smokes, my parents smoke, I have friends that smoke, I witness people doing it every day, after school, in the park, at resteraunts, etc. The Way I see it, it is someones personal choice to smoke or not, and should be legal. However I choose not to smoke because in my oppinion choosing to do so is stupid, because you have to spend excess amounts of money on a habbit which is quite frankly useless, you can contract terminal illnesses, and it has a ridiculous amount of poisons in it. On the subject of poisons, I feel that th government should probably step in and remove all unnatural additives, and sell the tobaco as a pure product. I feel that it is quite frankly wrong to put addictive chemicals in a product to make it sell better. So I feel people would be a lot better off if that were a forced maneuver. On the subject of smoking around children, I don't think it's so bad really. I'm used to being around it and I don't smoke, so I don't see the big deal. I do have a problem with women smoking or being around smoke while pregnant though, because that damages and deforms fetuses, and I think to myself Fucking trash bitch when I see a pregnant woman smoking. Oddly enough my mother smoked when she was pregnant with me and I was lucky enough to come out only with Johndas. So this of course only further fuels my hatred for it.

So what about you guys?
11.03.2009 - 19:28
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Deadmeat on 10.03.2009 at 18:09

Wow Wow Wow!!!! No man! the girls feel pain when they have sex for the first times because the maidenhead breaks! they also have blood for that reason.
Also for metal, you example is wrong because when you talk only about metal it is like you talk only about a cigaret label.

Now, about what you told, that after smoking you feel relaxed and it helps you concentrate. This is not a GOOD ACTION from nicotine but a BAD. your organism is addicted to it and without nicotine for a long period or just a few minutes (it dependes on how much you smoke) you are nervous and cannot concentrate. It's like drugs. Only when you get your dose you are ok. think about that...

@ the maidenhead thing:
A lot of doctors have claimed that's a myth and such. From wikipedia:
Quote:
In late 2005, Monica Christiansson, former maternity ward nurse and Carola Eriksson, a PhD student at Umeå University announced that according to studies of medical literature and practical experience, the hymen should be considered a social and cultural myth, based on deeply rooted stereotypes of women's roles in sexual relations with men. Christiansson and Eriksson support their claims by pointing out that there are no accurate medical descriptions of what a hymen actually consists of. Statistics presented by the two state that fewer than 30% of women who have gone through puberty and have consensual intercourse bleed the first time. Christiansson has expressed an opinion that the use of the term "hymen" should be discontinued and that it should be considered an integral part of the vaginal opening.

This is also what we were taught at sex ed in my school...

But anyway (since this topic isn't female anatomy), you're still avoiding the point. If something is unpleasant or not the first time has nothing to do with wether or not it is natural. Not everybody coughs the first time they smoke either. I actually didn't cough. I just didn't see the appeal at that time. Besides, even if I was taught wrong and you have a point you still don't because as much as there are perfectly natural reasons for pain during sex there would be perfectly natural reasons for coughing while smoking the first time too. Besides, they are still both unpleasant experiences, so my point still stands. How does unpleasantness mean that something isn't natural?

I'd say that the cigarette brands would be more like specific bands if we continue that analogy. They're not that different from eachother. Metal is pretty different from other styles of music. My point still stands.

Why is feeling more relaxed a bad thing? Note that I actually write "more relaxed" and not "less stressed out". I'm not usually stressed even when I don't smoke. The nicotine just makes me more relaxed. The improvement in concentration also takes it to a better level than I would usually experience before I started smoking. It has even been said that psychotic people have an affinity to start smoking just for the reason that it helps them keep their focus on reality in a better way. If it makes me happy, how can it be a bad thing for me (aside from the health issues).
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
11.03.2009 - 19:47
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 11.03.2009 at 19:28

Written by Deadmeat on 10.03.2009 at 18:09

Wow Wow Wow!!!! No man! the girls feel pain when they have sex for the first times because the maidenhead breaks! they also have blood for that reason.
Also for metal, you example is wrong because when you talk only about metal it is like you talk only about a cigaret label.

Now, about what you told, that after smoking you feel relaxed and it helps you concentrate. This is not a GOOD ACTION from nicotine but a BAD. your organism is addicted to it and without nicotine for a long period or just a few minutes (it dependes on how much you smoke) you are nervous and cannot concentrate. It's like drugs. Only when you get your dose you are ok. think about that...

@ the maidenhead thing:
A lot of doctors have claimed that's a myth and such. From wikipedia:
Quote:
In late 2005, Monica Christiansson, former maternity ward nurse and Carola Eriksson, a PhD student at Umeå University announced that according to studies of medical literature and practical experience, the hymen should be considered a social and cultural myth, based on deeply rooted stereotypes of women's roles in sexual relations with men. Christiansson and Eriksson support their claims by pointing out that there are no accurate medical descriptions of what a hymen actually consists of. Statistics presented by the two state that fewer than 30% of women who have gone through puberty and have consensual intercourse bleed the first time. Christiansson has expressed an opinion that the use of the term "hymen" should be discontinued and that it should be considered an integral part of the vaginal opening.

This is also what we were taught at sex ed in my school...

But anyway (since this topic isn't female anatomy), you're still avoiding the point. If something is unpleasant or not the first time has nothing to do with wether or not it is natural. Not everybody coughs the first time they smoke either. I actually didn't cough. I just didn't see the appeal at that time. Besides, even if I was taught wrong and you have a point you still don't because as much as there are perfectly natural reasons for pain during sex there would be perfectly natural reasons for coughing while smoking the first time too. Besides, they are still both unpleasant experiences, so my point still stands. How does unpleasantness mean that something isn't natural?

I'd say that the cigarette brands would be more like specific bands if we continue that analogy. They're not that different from eachother. Metal is pretty different from other styles of music. My point still stands.

Why is feeling more relaxed a bad thing? Note that I actually write "more relaxed" and not "less stressed out". I'm not usually stressed even when I don't smoke. The nicotine just makes me more relaxed. The improvement in concentration also takes it to a better level than I would usually experience before I started smoking. It has even been said that psychotic people have an affinity to start smoking just for the reason that it helps them keep their focus on reality in a better way. If it makes me happy, how can it be a bad thing for me (aside from the health issues).

for your first 2 paragraphs you're missing the point. the point is not the comparison of smoking with sex or metal. but about natural and unnatural i have to tell you that in sex as YOU said it has to do with anatomy. something that happens to every girl. "Something" BREAKES so they feel pain. but in smoking do not all people as YOU said cough. That means that ALL the other people's organism doesn't want that action.

about the relaxing properties of cigaret. my teacher (he is a doctor) yesterday told me those exactly words: "nicotine causes vasospasm in the capillarys and that makes mans blood presure INCREASE".
so high blood presure means PROBLEMS. also as i told you, your organism is addicted to nicotine and without it for a long period or just a few minutes you are nervous and it is not easy to concentrate. so nicotine reacts relaxing only because a smoker is ADDICTED.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
11.03.2009 - 20:05
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Deadmeat on 11.03.2009 at 19:47

for your first 2 paragraphs you're missing the point. the point is not the comparison of smoking with sex or metal. but about natural and unnatural i have to tell you that in sex as YOU said it has to do with anatomy. something that happens to every girl. "Something" BREAKES so they feel pain. but in smoking do not all people as YOU said cough. That means that ALL the other people's organism doesn't want that action.

about the relaxing properties of cigaret. my teacher (he is a doctor) yesterday told me those exactly words: "nicotine causes vasospasm in the capillarys and that makes mans blood presure INCREASE".
so high blood presure means PROBLEMS. also as i told you, your organism is addicted to nicotine and without it for a long period or just a few minutes you are nervous and it is not easy to concentrate. so nicotine reacts relaxing only because a smoker is ADDICTED.

I still don't understand what exactly is the difference you see between unnatural and natural things. Everybody thinks differently about that. What is it that makes it unnatural? I've tried to argue that the things you say makes something unnatural occurs with natural things too. But then everytime you answer I seem to be misunderstanding something because seem to be arguing about different things... There has to be some criteria as to what's natural and what's not.

And nicotine doesn't act as relaxing because we are addicted. Again, from wikipedia and describing the psychoactive properties of nicotine:
Quote:
Nicotine's mood-altering effects are different by report. First causing a release of glucose from the liver and epinephrine (adrenaline) from the adrenal medulla, it causes stimulation. Users report feelings of relaxation, sharpness, calmness, and alertness. By reducing the appetite and raising the metabolism, some smokers may lose weight as a consequence.

When a cigarette is smoked, nicotine-rich blood passes from the lungs to the brain within seven seconds and immediately stimulates the release of many chemical messengers including acetylcholine, norepinephrine, epinephrine, vasopressin, arginine, dopamine, autocrine agents, and beta-endorphin. This release of neurotransmitters and hormones is responsible for most of nicotine effects. Nicotine appears to enhance concentration and memory due to the increase of acetylcholine. It also appears to enhance alertness due to the increases of acetylcholine and norepinephrine. Arousal is increased by the increase of norepinephrine. Pain is reduced by the increases of acetylcholine and beta-endorphin. Anxiety is reduced by the increase of beta-endorphin. Nicotine also sensitises brain reward systems. Most cigarettes (in the smoke inhaled) contain 0.1 to 2.8 milligrams of nicotine.

Research suggests that, when smokers wish to achieve a stimulating effect, they take short quick puffs, which produce a low level of blood nicotine. This stimulates nerve transmission. When they wish to relax, they take deep puffs, which produce a high level of blood nicotine, which depresses the passage of nerve impulses, producing a mild sedative effect. At low doses, nicotine potently enhances the actions of norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain, causing a drug effect typical of those of psychostimulants. At higher doses, nicotine enhances the effect of serotonin and opiate activity, producing a calming, pain-killing effect. Nicotine is unique in comparison to most drugs, as its profile changes from stimulant to sedative/pain killer in increasing dosages and use.

I don't deny that it raises blood pressure (since it speeds up your metabolism), but it's got nothing to do with the relaxing effect, which is part of nicotine's psychoactive properties.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
11.03.2009 - 20:40
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 11.03.2009 at 20:05

USERS report feelings of relaxation, sharpness, calmness, and alertness.

When THEY wish to relax

yeah but as you see. nicotine relaxes THE SMOKERS. not non-smokers. surely if you are addicted it "relaxes" you. but that does not happen with non-smokers and this proves that the relaxing activity of nicotine that you've mentioned is not "real". you feel relaxed but if you did not smoke you wouldnt have the NEED to feel relaxed by smoking... you would do many other things.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
11.03.2009 - 21:01
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Deadmeat on 11.03.2009 at 20:40

When THEY wish to relax

yeah but as you see. nicotine relaxes THE SMOKERS. not non-smokers. surely if you are addicted it "relaxes" you. but that does not happen with non-smokers and this proves that the relaxing activity of nicotine that you've mentioned is not "real". you feel relaxed but if you did not smoke you wouldnt have the NEED to feel relaxed by smoking... you would do many other things.

What? There is a perfectly chemical reason why you feel relaxed by smoking, which was described well in the excerpt I provided. This effect would happen to a non-smoker as well if enough nicotine was ingested into the system. It is not an illusion, it is very much a real psychoactive effect caused by the nicotine. Non-smokers aren't getting any nicotine to make them feel more relaxed and such. What you said is basically like saying that alcohol only makes the people who drink it drunk, and not the people who don't drink it.
----
11.03.2009 - 21:24
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 11.03.2009 at 21:01

Written by Deadmeat on 11.03.2009 at 20:40

When THEY wish to relax

What? There is a perfectly chemical reason why you feel relaxed by smoking, which was described well in the excerpt I provided. This effect would happen to a non-smoker as well if enough nicotine was ingested into the system. It is not an illusion, it is very much a real psychoactive effect caused by the nicotine. Non-smokers aren't getting any nicotine to make them feel more relaxed and such. What you said is basically like saying that alcohol only makes the people who drink it drunk, and not the people who don't drink it.

I probably read something wrong. yeah it says that.
but generally now, even if nicotine relaxes you a bit, a cigarete and also the nicotine do you a big harm and my opinion is that people should not smoke. it is not a physical need so it can be avoided.
----
11.03.2009 - 21:38
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Deadmeat on 11.03.2009 at 21:24

but generally now, even if nicotine relaxes you a bit, a cigarete and also the nicotine do you a big harm and my opinion is that people should not smoke. it is not a physical need so it can be avoided.

Yeah, but that has to be everybody's own decision. I believe it to be worth it. But I can't make that choice for anyone else and I sure as hell don't try to make other people smoke if they don't already or if they're trying to quit. I guess that's just me. Smoking may not be for you, and I understand why you feel that way and I respect that, but I've decided it's worth it for me and nobody else could make that decision. Everyone has to decide on their own.
----
11.03.2009 - 21:55
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 11.03.2009 at 21:38

Written by Deadmeat on 11.03.2009 at 21:24

Yeah, but that has to be everybody's own decision. I believe it to be worth it. But I can't make that choice for anyone else and I sure as hell don't try to make other people smoke if they don't already or if they're trying to quit. I guess that's just me. Smoking may not be for you, and I understand why you feel that way and I respect that, but I've decided it's worth it for me and nobody else could make that decision. Everyone has to decide on their own.

surely. i never wanted to change your opinion, just to tell mine. i hope the day you'll stop smoking to come soon!
----
18.03.2009 - 02:21
ToMegaTherion
Smoking is something I have never been able to like doing dispite the fact that I have tried cigarettes on more than one occasion; However, pot I don't mind although it has been a long time since I have done it, about two or so years in fact. Since I've been with my wife.
24.03.2009 - 02:28
FoxZdemoN
Written by Arian Totalis on 09.02.2009 at 16:41

Written by FoxZdemoN on 08.02.2009 at 06:43

I hate smoking..it makes me gag and it tastes like shit. But I smoke when I have coffee or booze. I go days without it and HATE the smell of it second hand. Here in Canada...we cannot smoke in bars...and that's the only place I want to smoke really.

If you hate it so much, why do you choose to do so at all? As a social function...? that's a good way to get addicted. My cousin got hooked that way. Go to bars and being like "Oh, take a shot and smoke a cig, it kicks in my buzz." Next thing you know, it's like "oh, smoke a cig....to smoke a cig. I can't stop."

I use to smoke everyday.
----

You can listen to my show "Diabolus Templum" on Thursdays 4pm till 7pm EST. on~
http://www.brutalexistenceradio.com/
24.03.2009 - 05:03
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yes, and now all you have to do is ask yourself when you'll end up smoking every day again. Addiction isn't something that stops with the halt of active use, or even cutting back to occasional use. You'll still be an addict, because you'll still want it and do anything you can to justify it's use. I would suggest just to stop all together.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
25.03.2009 - 10:42
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Arian Totalis on 24.03.2009 at 05:03

Yes, and now all you have to do is ask yourself when you'll end up smoking every day again. Addiction isn't something that stops with the halt of active use, or even cutting back to occasional use. You'll still be an addict, because you'll still want it and do anything you can to justify it's use. I would suggest just to stop all together.

i ahd heard (and by this i mean i don't know by fact) that the nicotine addiction could be overcome after 7 or 9 days, don't remember the excat number right now. i mean, the addiction to cigarrete is because of the nicotine on your system, and as long as the nicotine is there, it's gonna be asking for even more, that's the addiction. so, apparently, it takes the body those 9 days to get rid of the nicotime that's on it's system asking for more, and when there's no more nicotine there, you no longer have that need to smoke, which is the addiction.
like i said, i don't know this by fact, someone just told me that once so he may have been fooling me or smething, but i don't think so. at least it deos make sense to me...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
25.03.2009 - 16:01
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by tulkas on 25.03.2009 at 10:42

Written by Arian Totalis on 24.03.2009 at 05:03

i ahd heard (and by this i mean i don't know by fact) that the nicotine addiction could be overcome after 7 or 9 days, don't remember the excat number right now. i mean, the addiction to cigarrete is because of the nicotine on your system, and as long as the nicotine is there, it's gonna be asking for even more, that's the addiction. so, apparently, it takes the body those 9 days to get rid of the nicotime that's on it's system asking for more, and when there's no more nicotine there, you no longer have that need to smoke, which is the addiction.
like i said, i don't know this by fact, someone just told me that once so he may have been fooling me or smething, but i don't think so. at least it deos make sense to me...

Yes, but you see, the way you're examining this is purely physical aspects of addiction. What I was refering to was more psychological. Even though you might not have smoked in two years, you're still going to find yourself craving a smoke from time to time, especially if you've had a shity day or if you feel the need to celebrate...you know, excuses to smoke.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
25.03.2009 - 23:32
tulkas
el parcero
@arian t: oh, yeah, i know what you mean, actually that was why i started to smoke again, about a year ago, after not smoking for a long time. although cigarrtes really calm me down when i'm stressed and need breaks, they are excuses. but, both reasons are true, whether it's something phsycological or physical, you'll find yourself wanting to smoke from time to time
----
12.04.2009 - 01:32
Nebel_Hexe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.07.2007 at 21:33

Sure it may fuck up your health but whatever.

Haha, funny that, I recently found out my brother has started smoking, he used to when he was young but gave up, but this doesn't seem good at all, and now I do care because I really need my brother in my life, wouldn't be happy if he died from cancer.
12.04.2009 - 05:40
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Guest on 12.04.2009 at 01:32

Written by Guest on 13.07.2007 at 21:33

Sure it may fuck up your health but whatever.

Haha, funny that, I recently found out my brother has started smoking, he used to when he was young but gave up, but this doesn't seem good at all, and now I do care because I really need my brother in my life, wouldn't be happy if he died from cancer.

how old is he? you shouldn't worry too much if he just started smoking, even if he had smoked beofre, 'cause it does take a lot of time before you can get lung cancer, and a bit more before it actually kills you. but, you might as well enjoy as much time with him as you can, hehe
----
03.05.2010 - 22:26
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by tulkas on 25.03.2009 at 23:32

@arian t: oh, yeah, i know what you mean, actually that was why i started to smoke again, about a year ago, after not smoking for a long time. although cigarrtes really calm me down when i'm stressed and need breaks, they are excuses. but, both reasons are true, whether it's something phsycological or physical, you'll find yourself wanting to smoke from time to time

Hmm... it makes me think about what's happening to me lately... I'd like to smoke a cigarette. Lately I've been really really busy with homework, exams... and I've been kinda stressed. I've been smoking for around 5 years ocasionally, really. I do it around 8 times a year, so that's almost nothing. I don't know if I'm addicted, that's something strange.
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
04.05.2010 - 00:05
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by The Alchemist on 03.05.2010 at 22:26

Hmm... it makes me think about what's happening to me lately... I'd like to smoke a cigarette. Lately I've been really really busy with homework, exams... and I've been kinda stressed. I've been smoking for around 5 years ocasionally, really. I do it around 8 times a year, so that's almost nothing. I don't know if I'm addicted, that's something strange.

As long as you are being completely honest about smoking just 8 times a year, then no, you are not addicted. You know things are going downhill when you start buying packs more often, so just avoid getting into that trap. I have had the hardest time quitting for the last couple of years, it is a bitch to quit (especially after the stress, coffee, alcohol, social associations are ingrained).
04.05.2010 - 00:59
I_Die_Often
I have never smoked, I will never smoke, I will not be with a woman who smokes (they don't taste as good! OK, pot smokers taste OK, but regular cigs, no!) and smoking killed my father too early.
I hate stinking like cigarettes (I am so glad they banned it in bars/clubs here!) and our government is retarded to allow tobacco and ban everything else.

----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
06.05.2010 - 20:45
Kennoth
I don't smoke. I never even tried, and I highly doubt that I ever will.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
21.05.2010 - 04:54
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Introspekrieg on 04.05.2010 at 00:05

Written by The Alchemist on 03.05.2010 at 22:26

As long as you are being completely honest about smoking just 8 times a year, then no, you are not addicted. You know things are going downhill when you start buying packs more often, so just avoid getting into that trap. I have had the hardest time quitting for the last couple of years, it is a bitch to quit (especially after the stress, coffee, alcohol, social associations are ingrained).

Well, the fact that I've never bought cigarettes for me is strange. Maybe that's the sign that I'm not addicted.
It seems that social associations are the things that make quitting difficult.
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
21.05.2010 - 06:24
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by I_Die_Often on 04.05.2010 at 00:59

...and our government is retarded to allow tobacco and ban everything else.

The ultimate hypocrisy, "they" (the parental government) say they care about our health, but certain drugs are okay.

If cigarettes were illegal, would people risk prison for them? Or is it better to let them make the decision for themselves?
21.05.2010 - 22:57
Ernis
狼獾
Smoke helps ease the hunger by eliminating the appetite for a while... a quality if you life in a country where food is so expensive that you have problems affording it... oh... and the action of smoking can be relaxing...
22.05.2010 - 04:26
Archetype
I don't smoke and have no intention of starting. It's a matter of influence from friends and other such social environments, I think. Most of the smokers that I've spoken to about it admit to having only started because it was "the thing to do" back in their youth days and whatnot. Not one of my friends smokes so I guess it makes sense that I don't either.

Written by I_Die_Often on 04.05.2010 at 00:59

I will not be with a woman who smokes

I very much agree. Instant turn-off for me.
22.05.2010 - 05:27
Candlemass
Defaeco
I smoked for years and stopped during my military service (very low wages, health was less a concern).
People should have the choice and consider the dangers of smoking.
22.05.2010 - 09:15
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I still don't care if people do it, but I have found one thing that really pisses me off about smokers: littering. It seems like everywhere I go, there are butts everywhere. It just boils down to being lazy and that's what really annoys me. I went for a walk the other day at a state preserve a mile or so away from my house and there were butts (among other trash) just littering the ground. I really don't get it. Just fucking lazy.
----
The force will be with you, always.
23.05.2010 - 00:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ernis on 21.05.2010 at 22:57

Smoke helps ease the hunger by eliminating the appetite for a while... a quality if you life in a country where food is so expensive that you have problems affording it... oh... and the action of smoking can be relaxing...

hah, that won't work here since cigarettes are a lot more expensive than they used to be, now the government jacked up the taxes a lot, a pack of cigs which last year cost the equivalent of 1.5 euros now costs 2.5.
23.05.2010 - 19:50
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Valentin B on 23.05.2010 at 00:09

hah, that won't work here since cigarettes are a lot more expensive than they used to be, now the government jacked up the taxes a lot, a pack of cigs which last year cost the equivalent of 1.5 euros now costs 2.5.

It's the same here... but you know, food can cost more anyway... which means that eating several light snacks a day (because a whole meal can be absolutely unaffordable) can cost a lot more than smoking several cigarettes...
29.05.2010 - 20:16
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Well I smoke cigs (American Spirits or Nat Shermans. I actually can't smoke the regular brands due to the fillers) and I agree, leave the kids away from the smoke. They're not asking for it. I Agree it's not right on that end. I also am cool with smoking outside unless it's in a bar and or a smoke shop/cigar shop.

I also live in the East Coast of the United States and there's a bunch of smoking laws. I spent the last 10months in NYC for school purposes and noticed that those people are complete cunts about smoking. You have that 1 bitch ass faking coughing every so often when walking by. Honestly, if you live in a major urban area where you have a consistent flow of air pollution anyhow, you should be fake coughing all over the place if you're worried about what you breathe.

ALso, to point out here... If people were actually concerned with smoking being stopped things like cigarette companies adding more nicotine to their products, and not making "quit smoking products" that use the same addictive substance as a way to get off smoking makes no sense. The problem with smoking is the nicotine. They put it in there to keep you coming back. They also are starting to sell "Smokeless cigs" which are prettymuch vaporizer nicotine. In essence here, the problem with people smoking cigs is the nicotine, you want to reduce smoking start going after the nicotine. Between the gum, the patches, lozenges and all that other crap it's realy just trying to put a happy face on where the addiction really comes from not solving the problem.

Also , taxation in the US on cigs varies by state. If you live in a tobacco producing state you really have no tax on the product. In essence the taxation also has to do with state wealth levels too.
----
14.06.2010 - 08:34
SerratedSyringe
I don't smoke. Never have. I don't really care if my partner smokes (granted I've never met a smoker that I actually wanted to be with) Maybe I'll smoke cigars one day when I'm old, unmarried and have nothing important to live for.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....