Metal Storm logo
Your opinion on Smoking

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 26.05.2007 - 21:32
So, I was listening to a conversation about multi-million dollar corperations and stocks, when it suddenly dawned on me that I could open a thread about this.I notice that there are already a few smoke related threads on here, but there is no actual thread about the subject of smoking. This thread is basicly exactly what the title says, what is you oppinion about smoking? Be detailed, about things like smoking in public places, around children, age apropriate, whether or not you smoke, if it should even be allowed to continue legally.

As for my personal oppinion, I personally don't smoke, but I know lots of people that do. I have family that smokes, my parents smoke, I have friends that smoke, I witness people doing it every day, after school, in the park, at resteraunts, etc. The Way I see it, it is someones personal choice to smoke or not, and should be legal. However I choose not to smoke because in my oppinion choosing to do so is stupid, because you have to spend excess amounts of money on a habbit which is quite frankly useless, you can contract terminal illnesses, and it has a ridiculous amount of poisons in it. On the subject of poisons, I feel that th government should probably step in and remove all unnatural additives, and sell the tobaco as a pure product. I feel that it is quite frankly wrong to put addictive chemicals in a product to make it sell better. So I feel people would be a lot better off if that were a forced maneuver. On the subject of smoking around children, I don't think it's so bad really. I'm used to being around it and I don't smoke, so I don't see the big deal. I do have a problem with women smoking or being around smoke while pregnant though, because that damages and deforms fetuses, and I think to myself Fucking trash bitch when I see a pregnant woman smoking. Oddly enough my mother smoked when she was pregnant with me and I was lucky enough to come out only with Johndas. So this of course only further fuels my hatred for it.

So what about you guys?
15.06.2010 - 07:29
whatsacow
Smoking is bad for you, but then again, so is alcohol, junk food, energy drink, soft drink, and pretty much anything else thats awesome.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
19.06.2010 - 04:08
Got Mayhem?
Personally, I'm a pretty open minded person and believe that if someone wants to do something to themselves then they have every right to do so. Yes, ideally they should be adequately informed on the dangers of what they're doing and in no situation should someone who is a child or is suffering from an altered mental status be allowed to make their own decisions.

Second hand smoke is a bitch. If someone around you doesn't want to smoke or be near smoke, don't light up near them or if you're already lit, don't blow out towards them. It's common sense, be kind. Oh, and don't smoke around kids, whether they're yours or not. They can't understand the risks and either way it's never going to be pleasurable in any way for them.

Personally, I don't smoke cigarettes. I actually have yet to find anything that makes me want to smoke them. I don't mind being around smokers, and I can especially tolerate my friends when they light up, but that's just me. Cigars on the other hand I'll enjoy once in a blue moon. (I'm not sure what that means exactly, so lets just say maybe once a month). (Generally) They have a good taste and calm my nerves quite well. I'm not addicted (seriously, once a month. Definitely not craving anything here...), in order to reach that state I'd have to start smoking on a daily or semi daily basis and that won't be happening anytime soon.

As for the health effects, let's face it: everything is out to kill us these days. Cancer is terrible, I've seen enough of it to know that. But, and this is medical fact at the moment, the rate of smoking cigars I do has been shown to have no real increase in health risks. Daily smoking is a different story, but hey, that isn't my story right now and I hope it never is. Smoking anything will never be 'good' for you, but there is a rate at which there isn't really much harm either. Prove me otherwise and I'll happily concede that I'm wrong but the last I checked the studies back this up. I decrease my level of health walking down crowded streets filled with cars and eating junk food. These are all choices, and choices are ours to make and ours alone. On that note...Legalize America! It's been far too long...

EDIT
Holy balls, I forgot. Anyone here smoke out of a pipe? I've never done it but due to Hollywood influences (Gandalf in LoTR...) I wanna try it.
----
24.06.2010 - 07:47
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Got Mayhem? on 19.06.2010 at 04:08

Anyone here smoke out of a pipe? I've never done it but due to Hollywood influences (Gandalf in LoTR...) I wanna try it.

Personally, I've never tried it, but I've smoked hookah. It's highly recommended if you want to smoke a pipe, imo.
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
26.06.2010 - 19:36
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by The Alchemist on 24.06.2010 at 07:47

Written by Got Mayhem? on 19.06.2010 at 04:08

Anyone here smoke out of a pipe? I've never done it but due to Hollywood influences (Gandalf in LoTR...) I wanna try it.

Personally, I've enver tried it, but I've smoked hookah. It's highly recommended if you want to smoke a pipe, imo.

It's almost the same thing, imo. I've tried pipe but it seemed too dry, so I guess hookah is the best choice anyway.
27.06.2010 - 18:48
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I smoke out of a wooden pipe but it'll eventually become clogged I imagine...
28.06.2010 - 16:50
Elodie Artour
Slania
I've never ever smoked during my whole life. People tell me I should try it (at least to know why I don't wanna do that) . I get their point - it's sensible. However, I'm allergic to many things, as well as asthmatic. I guess there are enough reasons (especially to me personally) why I should not start smoking. Not only health is the matter in this case. I mean, it's the most serious one but there are other reasons such as the smoke itself which makes me suffocate! The smell of cigarettes is also extremely distracting to me. I truly despise it!

However, I don't criticize smokers (or at least I try not to) . It's up to them and their personal choices whether to smoke or not. Who am I to criticize such people about serious issues like that? Most smokers (especially steady ones) are totally aware of the risks of smoking. Besides that, everyone has their reason to smoke. Many say smoking is a good way to relax (for example) . I get annoyed by the ones who smoke either to be modern or cool (or something like that) . The same goes for alcohol, though. It's not meant to be consumed just to make you feel like a grown-up or something. But if one has other reasons to smoke, then it's okay. Whenever someone whom I know personally smokes, I usually ask them not to smoke exactly in front of me. I also ask serious smokers not to do that habit in front of me all of the time. I believe I'm polite and liberal enough to smokers but still, if it comes to my health I always take things seriously.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
28.06.2010 - 20:09
Hrothdane
The problem with smoking is that it isn't just unhealthy for the smoker, but for everyone around them. If you must make the choice to smoke, that is your call. However, everyone else also has a right to not have to breathe that crap. Not only is it unhealthy for the general populace because of the poisons and carcinogens in them, but asthmatics and people with allergies to that kind of smoke REALLY don't need to be breathing in that crap.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
29.06.2010 - 00:31
Elodie Artour
Slania
I totally agree with you, man. At least, when they want to fester themselves, they must not involve none-smokers in that.
----
29.06.2010 - 05:56
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Hrothdane on 28.06.2010 at 20:09

The problem with smoking is that it isn't just unhealthy for the smoker, but for everyone around them. If you must make the choice to smoke, that is your call. However, everyone else also has a right to not have to breathe that crap. Not only is it unhealthy for the general populace because of the poisons and carcinogens in them, but asthmatics and people with allergies to that kind of smoke REALLY don't need to be breathing in that crap.

I feel the same way about alcohol too... you make the personal choice to drink but yet you drive drunk and destroy my parked car, luckily not killing someone. Having something terrible happen to you is sometimes enough to make you open your eyes (someone getting lung cancer in your family, car destroyed by drunk driver, etc.). I am officially on day 13 of quitting both cigarettes and alcohol... feeling good.
29.06.2010 - 13:07
..ExoTeaR..
Written by Introspekrieg on 29.06.2010 at 05:56

Written by Hrothdane on 28.06.2010 at 20:09

I feel the same way about alcohol too... you make the personal choice to drink but yet you drive drunk and destroy my parked car, luckily not killing someone. Having something terrible happen to you is sometimes enough to make you open your eyes (someone getting lung cancer in your family, car destroyed by drunk driver, etc.). I am officially on day 13 of quitting both cigarettes and alcohol... feeling good.

Smoking is banned in all indoor venues and lots of outdoor venues including gigs in australia and i completely support the decision. Keep up the great work on quitting dude << i couldnt imagine quitting alcohol tho, im 63 days without so much of a drag << Ive even been smoking my speed and dope separate to tobbaco not that i do drugs very often but i do attend the local trash pit for gigs somtimes and speed makes it fun and dope helps me come down easier. no more ciggerettes for me tho. Im ready to cut alcohol out of 4 days a week, Ive decided to continue drinking thursday through to sunday however. overall smoking ciggerettes is a bad thing that is uneccasary in my opinion no matter which angle you look at it. smoke more crack i rekon jks
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
29.06.2010 - 20:46
Elodie Artour
Slania
@..ExoTeaR..: You actually mentioned a very important aspect of smoking which I previously forgot to write about.

In Bulgaria, smoking isn't banned anywhere. Trust me, this is horrible for a none-smoker like me! For instance, there is this festival called "Tzvete za Gosho" ( "A Flower For Gosho" ) that is held every single year in my hometown in honour of a famous (and unfortunately - already dead) Bulgarian musician. That fest is held in a very nice park I often go in for a walk or something. However, at this fest there are many smokers whose fume makes me cough like hell! In such cases, smoking is not just bad for the health; it is able to ruin your good time. I find the idea of not banning smoking at public places in Bulgaria absurd. In addition, there are only a few restaurants with "smoking" and "none-smoking" areas. (Such decision doesn't help either.)
----
26.12.2010 - 01:34
JD
Account deleted
Smoking is good for your health
31.12.2010 - 15:32
Kitty
Smoking causes cancer. It costs, too. It smells really bad and yellows your fingers and teeth.
So practically, smoking sucks.

But hey... Is there a better way of waking up other than a coffee and cigarette?
----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
08.01.2011 - 13:05
JD
Account deleted
Written by Kitty on 31.12.2010 at 15:32

Is there a better way of waking up other than a coffee and cigarette?

Hahaha you silly of course NOT!
08.01.2011 - 21:27
Kitty
Written by Guest on 08.01.2011 at 13:05

Written by Kitty on 31.12.2010 at 15:32

Is there a better way of waking up other than a coffee and cigarette?

Hahaha you silly of course NOT!

----
...And I meowmeowmeow!
08.01.2011 - 22:02
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by whatsacow on 15.06.2010 at 07:29

Smoking is bad for you, but then again, so is alcohol, junk food, energy drink, soft drink, and pretty much anything else thats awesome.

well, those other things aren't as addictive as tobacco.

as a non-smoker (i only smoke tobacco when it's combined with weed) i would 100% support a smoking ban in all indoor public areas.

Written by Elodie Artour on 28.06.2010 at 16:50

I get annoyed by the ones who smoke either to be modern or cool (or something like that) . The same goes for alcohol, though. It's not meant to be consumed just to make you feel like a grown-up or something. But if one has other reasons to smoke, then it's okay.

the sad thing is that that's how most people get addicted, they start smoking at 12 to be cool and dangerous, and then by age 18-19 they're already addicted and cannot come down. i've seen it with a ton of people i used to know in school.
08.01.2011 - 22:32
RavenKing
Smoking is bad but it's much less bad than alcohol or drugs. The huge difference is smoking doesn't change your mind and make you act like an idiot. You remain yourself.
Also, I consider drinking beer every day as more damaging than smoking.
Other problem with beer is you get more fat when you drink this regularly, and it adds to health issues.
Problem is drinking beer every day is considered as normal by lots of people, only because it is legal. People easily forget that beer is junk as much as a Big Mac is and even more damaging than weed.

I'm not a big smoker. I don't smoke more than half a pack of menthol cigars (green More) by day.
And I think it is much less bad than drinking 5-6 beers each evening. (I hate beer anyway)
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
08.01.2011 - 22:41
Zenzero
Zenzero
I don't like smoke, and don't understand why people smoke! I live very well without smoking, why people need it??
Just as Kitty said: It smells really bad and yellows your fingers and teeth.
I can add cancer, addiction, change of humor and much more....
But i think that everyone can do what he wants provided it doesn't bother (me and) other people!
08.01.2011 - 22:53
RavenKing
Written by Zenzero on 08.01.2011 at 22:41

I don't like smoke, and don't understand why people smoke! I live very well without smoking, why people need it??
But i think that everyone can do what he wants provided it doesn't bother (me and) other people!

And why do people need drinking? I live very well without alcohol and don't need this crap.
It makes you look like a fool, it smells awful when you breathe, it makes you sick, it can make you do many things you will be ashamed tomorrow or even can get you in serious trouble, it trashes your next day, etc.
I could add liver cirrhosis, addiction, change of humor, innards cancer, not even remembering parts of your life, etc.
And chances are you will bother others when you're drunk by acting like an ass.
----
08.01.2011 - 23:02
Zenzero
Zenzero
Written by RavenKing on 08.01.2011 at 22:53

Written by Zenzero on 08.01.2011 at 22:41

And why do people need drinking? I live very well without alcohol and don't need this crap.
It makes you look like a fool, it smells awful when you breathe, it makes you sick, it can make you do many things you will be ashamed tomorrow or even can get you in serious trouble, it trashes your next day, etc.
I could add liver cirrhosis, addiction, change of humor, innards cancer, not even remembering parts of your life, etc.
And chances are you will bother others when you're drunk by acting like an ass.

i think the same for drugs and alchool.... I sometimes drink... but sometimes, and be sure I don't bother nobody... maybe a little bit talking a lot...... but that's all!
08.01.2011 - 23:11
RavenKing
I only drink a few cups of wine during family and social events. Surely not enough to be drunk. I like the taste of wine but I hate beer.
As for drugs, I never used them.
----
08.01.2011 - 23:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 08.01.2011 at 22:32

Smoking is bad but it's much less bad than alcohol or drugs.

Your lack of education on the matter is hilarity incarnate. The vast majority of drugs are far safer than booze and fags. You should look up Professor David Nutt's research.
08.01.2011 - 23:31
Mikyz
I only tried smoking once, and it was a very disgusting experience, didn't go through it again. I drink beer, not all the time but on occasion. As for drugs never tried and never will. I try to be as healthy as possible.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
08.01.2011 - 23:37
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 08.01.2011 at 23:15

Your lack of education on the matter is hilarity incarnate. The vast majority of drugs are far safer than booze and fags. You should look up Professor David Nutt's research.

I was more talking of heavy drugs. You can't deny that heavy drugs are more damaging than smoking.
----
08.01.2011 - 23:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 08.01.2011 at 23:37

I was more talking of heavy drugs. You can't deny that heavy drugs are more damaging than smoking.

Depends what you mean by heavy drugs. Obviously crystal meth and heroin are worse but that's universal fact and only a fool would ever take it. Stuff like ecstasy, cocaine, LSD etc. are far less destructive
09.01.2011 - 22:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I only smoke Hookah and I do it like. I don't know. on an average I would say 2-4 times a month.

Last time was just yesterday... And it was awesome. Nothing like relaxing with my best friend while listening to:
Massive Attack - 100th Window
Agents Of Oblivion - s/t
And finally: Earth - The Bees made honey in the lion's skull

Really awesome.... I don't like cigarettes at all though
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.01.2011 - 22:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.01.2011 at 22:19

I only smoke Hookah and I do it like. I don't know. on an average I would say 2-4 times a month.

Last time was just yesterday... And it was awesome. Nothing like relaxing with my best friend while listening to:
Massive Attack - 100th Window
Agents Of Oblivion - s/t
And finally: Earth - The Bees made honey in the lion's skull

Really awesome.... I don't like cigarettes at all though

Nice mix!
09.01.2011 - 23:35
Kennoth
Written by Guest on 08.01.2011 at 23:57

cocaine far less destructive

wut?

OT: Never tried smoking in my entire life. And I'm not planning to either. Truly hideous habit. I'm also avid supporter of banning all kinds of indoor smoking. My country has already enacted laws against it, but it seems it's not heavy in practice. There's far less indoor smoking true, but some places go around the law such as registering bars as 'clubs' with 'membership only' cards so that they can be exempt from it.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
09.01.2011 - 23:49
Zenzero
Zenzero
Written by Guest on 08.01.2011 at 23:57

Written by RavenKing on 08.01.2011 at 23:37

Depends what you mean by heavy drugs. Obviously crystal meth and heroin are worse but that's universal fact and only a fool would ever take it. Stuff like ecstasy, cocaine, LSD etc. are far less destructive

I don't think it... cocaine and lsd are not less destructive than smoking!
10.01.2011 - 01:28
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
It costs a lot of money and it kills you slowly...oh wait, you didn't ask for facts, you asked for my opinion. Err...smoking is almost as bad as the SW prequels.