Metal Storm logo
Do you work out, and why?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 01.07.2007 - 16:59
well, i was just curious, with all the metal imagery consisting of so many "musclebands"(manowar, venom, hammerfall etc) who try to look so tough and "heavy", and having muscly band members is a must.

i do, for health and looking good.

Poll

Why do you work out, if you do?

both of the above
don't work out
for health
to look good

Total votes: 228
16.02.2011 - 22:29
Ernis
็‹ผ็พ
Written by Valentin B on 16.02.2011 at 20:51

It takes a lot to get built if you have a naturally skinny body. you have to really spam protein shakes and big-ass meals. it's difficult to keep that kind of lifestyle for a few months and (in my case) keep up raising money for it.

As my wise old brother said... ANYONE can become a bodybuilder... you might be fat or skinny or anything... if you're fat, you need to get rid of the lard first by sufficient aerobic exercises, there's plenty of cases where it's not done and the result is people growing muscles but covered in layers of fat nevertheless. You as a slim person should not worry about getting rid of fat... just do sports, be active, don't forget to exercise different muscle groups different days and just eat normal food as much as you have appetite. You might want to forget about shakes and powders etc... it's sort of poser stuff and you don't want to look artificial. For instance some dudes who wished to get in shape for the beach season, went to the gym, worked out with machines only and only for the "most visible" muscle groups and devoured loads of powders and protein shakes, got bulky for the beach season and after that when the effect was gone, they just developed some drooping male breasts. Do everything naturally, prefer free weights(bars, dumbbells, own body weight) to machines because free weights train your entire hold of the body... eat naturally and normally and you're good.
One dude from the arena is strong as hell. He looks rather slim and not at all what you'd call a "bodybuilder"... but he's like steel and can do a lot of things for instance neither me nor my brother can... no protein shakes, no "going for the looks"...
This is the real strength... the one that lasts...
17.02.2011 - 18:11
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Bodybuilding is just to much for me. Personally I can't get all buff, I don't see a reason why I should. Very content with being very athletic and a good build.
20.02.2011 - 13:10
Luneth
Account deleted
If one is slightly on the chubby side then you don't have to worry, just build muscle. Working out makes you lose weight. Best way to lose weight though if you wanna build muscle is obviously playing a sport/joining a team of some sort. You'll burn so many calories and be working your body so much it'll thank you with some nice pecs .
20.02.2011 - 17:08
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Author on 20.02.2011 at 13:10

If one is slightly on the chubby side then you don't have to worry, just build muscle. Working out makes you lose weight. Best way to lose weight though if you wanna build muscle is obviously playing a sport/joining a team of some sort. You'll burn so many calories and be working your body so much it'll thank you with some nice pecs .

Best way is to just run like a mad man and eat healthy.
20.02.2011 - 19:26
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Author on 20.02.2011 at 17:08

Written by Author on 20.02.2011 at 13:10

Best way is to just run like a mad man and eat healthy.

If that person wants to lose weight yeah, but if they want to build muscle, they should just work out regularly as you lose weight whilst doing it anyway. Yo aren't meant to gain weight while doing weight training, not really enough to tip the balance between fat and skinny :/.
06.04.2011 - 11:09
Oracle
Orcinus
Since i put on a little weight during summer, I have started working out. I do about 30 mins of cardio workouts almost everyday. I actually enjoy it alot more than i thought i would. I used to be really lazy and only go for a walk once a fortnight. Since starting this exercise routine, I have lost a bit of weight and im starting to feel alot better about myself
06.04.2011 - 11:14
Yasmine
I gain weight faster on the hormones, but my metabolism is still pretty high so I try to do cardio everyday, so really I hold pretty study. I did lose 15 pounds due to loss of appitite from the gallstone pains.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
06.04.2011 - 11:19
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Been taking up swimming recently. Spend an hour and a half to 2 hours at the pool doing some laps. Just trying it out this week. Hopefully burning some calories + its fun as my friends come too. Trying to fix up a schedule so that I can alternate the pool with the gym.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
06.04.2011 - 11:25
Yasmine
I like to ice skate and swim as my exercise.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
06.04.2011 - 22:40
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 06.04.2011 at 11:25

I like to ice skate and swim as my exercise.

Agggressive Rollerblading?
06.04.2011 - 22:59
Ragana
Rawrcat
Rollerblading is SO MUCH FUN. ;o I'd do that now (not now - tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, etc) if my skates weren't broken.

Anyway, yeah, I work out as long as I like it and it's fun. Good for health, good for... ee, looking good. Running, biking, swimming (in summers), loads of sports if there's anybody to play with... it's all cool. I'm an active person, I'd play even golf although I do not think it's very sporty.
06.04.2011 - 23:31
Yasmine
I can't rollerblade very well. I gave up a few summers ago.
----
06.04.2011 - 23:42
Ragana
Rawrcat
But... that's like ice-skating. I think it's even easier because ice is very slippery (although when you fall it hurts much more than falling on ice)... but I suppose it depends on the road and what you learned first. :?
07.04.2011 - 03:09
Yasmine
My neighborhood has a lot of hills and is very.....bumpy. lol I skinned a few knees and then gave up.
----
07.04.2011 - 15:01
Yohan
Couldn't care less. Only time I ever exercise is out of boredom.
We all end up like a dead rotten corpses anyway, might just aswell live a trashy life with alcohol, tobacco, prostitutes and weed. (Sadly I haven't experienced the last two, quite a dull market where I live.)
----
tombstone.fi
07.04.2011 - 15:40
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Yasmine on 07.04.2011 at 03:09

My neighborhood has a lot of hills and is very.....bumpy. lol I skinned a few knees and then gave up.

Yeah, I just got to think that it may be less fun when one's grown-up. It was fun when I was a kid, we had competitions and stuff like that but now there's a problem even with finding a good road.
07.04.2011 - 17:32
Zenzero
Zenzero
I play every kind of sport I can! Soccer 3 times a week in a team, and when I can, with friends, basket, tennis, swim in summer, ice-skating even if it's hard find a place here to do it and I'm really bad on it!!
Just for fun not for health or to look good!
07.04.2011 - 19:35
Thrashette
I used to roller blade a lot. It all started when I outgrew my bike and my parents didn't want to buy me a new one, but I had an amazing pair of roller blades. I don't rollerblade so much anymore, since most of the places I like to go have gravel trails and would be much better just to walk or bike on... and lack of time for leisure too.

It's hard for me to find time for any sort of exercise... I do a bit of martial arts training and that's about it. Though this summer, I'm planning to get back into martial arts and possibly swimming too. I exercise more for fun than health or to look good though.
21.04.2011 - 20:21
Balthazine
I do a lot of basic training like push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Mainly because I want to gain a bit more muscle and get into better shape, especially after a long winter of sitting around all the time. I'm also beginning to study different forms of martial arts around the world and train myself. I have a huge mass of woods and forest just behind my place that I like to go back and train in. I've also gotten back into heavy meditation to train my mind and senses plus it helps me with my reflex training. I'm going to be doing a lot more too as it gets warmer and the season changes to summer, more cardio workouts, weights, etc. Pretty much I want to look better, be healthier, faster, stronger, more fit mentally, more fit and healthy physically and have better awareness. In short, I want to train myself to a higher level of being.
----
Sometimes in metal they have called me:
The Minneapolis Metal Music Examiner -I write articles on metal in the MN area for Examiner.com
The Metal Detector -A history of digging up old forgotten metal bands
Thrash Master -Famous for my Walls O' Thrash
21.04.2011 - 21:15
Kennoth
I don't, because I'm a lazy slob.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
21.04.2011 - 21:49
Yasmine
Written by Kennoth on 21.04.2011 at 21:15

You totally need to change the way you see yourself.
----
22.04.2011 - 13:31
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Yasmine on 21.04.2011 at 21:49

Written by Kennoth on 21.04.2011 at 21:15

You totally need to change the way you see yourself.

By working out.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
22.04.2011 - 13:32
Yasmine
That would be an exellent start, absolutely. lol
----
22.04.2011 - 20:41
Sophist
I do some situps and pushups at home and try to do as much running and walking as possible since I'm too lazy and stingy to go to a gym.
22.04.2011 - 20:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I'm with Sophist. I'll work out as much as possible in the confines of my apartment. The gym is too far away and too expensive for what it offers.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.04.2011 - 21:02
Yasmine
Honestly I don't think you need a gym to be in shape, we're not talk about getting ripped. lol Just so that it provides a more confident feeling. lol
----
22.04.2011 - 21:10
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I do, and here's why:

I do desire a lean & muscular physique though and I'm getting there. Set my goal for 85kg (180lbs) at 9% bodyfat at a length of 170 cm (5.57 feet). I wish I was 6 feet tall though

Currently 38lbs to go, although I'll probably have to gain about 45lbs, and then cut down to 9%.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.04.2011 - 21:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.04.2011 at 20:43

I'm with Sophist. I'll work out as much as possible in the confines of my apartment. The gym is too far away and too expensive for what it offers.

i'd also like to work out at home, i think i'm gonna buy myself some equipment soon enough as i don't really have time to go to the gym(even though it's free for students). i never planned on getting ripped as that is impossible with my metabolism(i have the metabolic equivalent of charlie sheen, my body wastes too much stuff) but being more fit and healthy is definitely one of my goals for the future.

Written by Lucas on 22.04.2011 at 21:10

I do desire a lean & muscular physique though and I'm getting there. Set my goal for 85kg (180lbs) at 9% bodyfat at a length of 170 cm (5.57 feet). I wish I was 6 feet tall though

85 kg with 1.70 sounds like you want to get massively ripped, considering a normal body weight at that height would be 60-65 kg. it's gonna be tough, but if you set your mind to it and eat the right stuff you will do it. i'm 6 feet tall(1.85 m to be more precise) and i weigh 63 kg, and i'd never dream of being able to getting to 85 kg. the good thing though is that if you're naturally skinny, then what you gain will be more muscle than fat, and your muscles will be way more visible than if they were under a layer of blubber.
22.04.2011 - 21:32
Ernis
็‹ผ็พ
Written by Valentin B on 22.04.2011 at 21:15

85 kg with 1.70 sounds like you want to get massively ripped, considering a normal body weight at that height would be 60-65 kg. it's gonna be tough, but if you set your mind to it and eat the right stuff you will do it. i'm 6 feet tall(1.85 m to be more precise) and i weigh 63 kg, and i'd never dream of being able to getting to 85 kg. the good thing though is that if you're naturally skinny, then what you gain will be more muscle than fat, and your muscles will be way more visible than if they were under a layer of blubber.

Train more and eat more and then you'll grow. If you train regularly and correctly and eat properly you might gain around 10 kg in a year or two... Metabolism isn't much of an excuse. You might as well as find yourself fat one day should your metabolism drastically change. And that should be true that it is easier when you have low fat percentage. If you have lots of fat, then you need to do lots of aerobic exercise in order to lose that fat and then start replacing the former fat with meat. There's a dude at the arena who used to be chubby but as every time I've been to the arena, I've seen him running almost during the entire workout session. And he's become slimmer...
22.04.2011 - 21:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 22.04.2011 at 21:15

Written by Lucas on 22.04.2011 at 21:10

Yeah, it's not going to be easy. I do prefer to set my goals high (sometimes too high) because that gives you something to work for. I did manage to put on 10kg of (almost solely) muscle, but of course with every kg it gets more and more difficult. I'm not gaining as much anymore unfortunately, because of time restrictions and because I also want to have a bit of a social life, haha.

It's a goal that I want to reach in a couple of years, say three or four, and so far it seems like I'll reach it. We'll see.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama