Metal Storm logo
Manowar

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 03.06.2006 - 00:23
As I sit here and listen to most likely the greatest band of all time I notice that there isn't a topic for them, so I decided to make one. Manowar are a band that you must love, and if you don't, you're gay. Haha, seriously though. They make some wicked music, though pompous, they deserve to be, I mean, they are the KINGS OF METAL. I do enjoy their upbeat attitude, killer riffing, and Eric Adams god like vocals. Very manly. I would call them Heavy Metal (or moreover, Traditional Metal) than anything, but they do have some Speed and Power Metal tendencies every now and then. Any fans?

And remember kids, while other bands play - Manowar kill.
31.01.2009 - 04:43
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Guest on 30.01.2009 at 10:10

Written by -DC-002- on 30.01.2009 at 10:06

Does anybody take Manowar completely serious? I wonder what kind of life that person has

I could say the same thing about America.

And I could say the same thing about Canada...
----
Coldgrits
31.01.2009 - 05:41
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Damn, even the bad Manowar albums are great, if anybody gets what I mean

I would sell my ass for listening to "Blood Of My Enemies" live....
04.02.2009 - 11:21
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 31.01.2009 at 05:41

Damn, even the bad Manowar albums are great, if anybody gets what I mean

hehh, i had a audio bootleg of one of their concerts in Moscow and they played this one, i could hear the crown chanting along to the first verse.. it sounded so fucking epic!

they're coming round here in July, i don't care if i have 4 exams the next day, i'm going to that concert lol

my least favorite album is Into Glory Ride, does anyone share my opinion? i don't know i just find that it doesn't have the definite killer tracks(Gloves of Metal is nice and that main riff slays though)
04.02.2009 - 13:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 04.02.2009 at 11:21

my least favorite album is Into Glory Ride, does anyone share my opinion? i don't know i just find that it doesn't have the definite killer tracks(Gloves of Metal is nice and that main riff slays though)

Together with Hail To England by far the best Manowar album. And no killer tracks? FFS, are you deaf? Revelation (Death's Angel) is probably the best Manowar track ever.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.02.2009 - 13:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

EDGE OF SANITY man I prefere this song when EoS play it, but if I shood chpoose since I like EoS verse more this is best Manowar song and I remeber what you sad in old forum bout this song
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.02.2009 - 14:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Bad English on 04.02.2009 at 13:52

EDGE OF SANITY man I prefere this song when EoS play it, but if I shood chpoose since I like EoS verse more this is best Manowar song and I remeber what you sad in old forum bout this song

what did he say?

@Marcel well it's probably because i don't much like it when Manowar goes all technical and shit.. i like the more straightforward songs(like Metal Daze, Battle Hymn or Black Wind Fire and Steel and of course Blood of my Enemies)
04.02.2009 - 14:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

EoS/s version is IMO quite crap and they even manage to fuck up the lyrics.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.02.2009 - 14:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 04.02.2009 at 14:00

what did he say?

In MSv2 forum many years ago
----

apos;'
[image]
04.02.2009 - 14:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Bad English on 04.02.2009 at 14:02

Written by Valentin B on 04.02.2009 at 14:00

what did he say?

In MSv2 forum many years ago

yeah i know, but WHAT did he say? or you mean "i remember That you said about this song" instead of "i remember What you said"
04.02.2009 - 14:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Valentin B - something thet song still is in his head ewery where where he goies, and he can sing all time
''Strong winds magic mist
To Asgard the valkries fly
High overhead they carry the dead
Where the blood of my enemy lies''

Maybe I didnt quote 100% corrcet but hope you got idea
----

apos;'
[image]
07.02.2009 - 01:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Let each note I now play
be a black arrow of death
sent straight to the hearts
of all those who solo vaguely coherently

i about spit my drink up when that clusterfuck came on... between the intro and the solo which makes King/Hanneman seem to be strict adherents to music theory... zomg too funny. imagining dude playing that while clad in a loincloth with some skank clutching his legs completes the picture. i'm laughing so hard my co-workers think i am on drugs.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.02.2009 - 11:53
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I just noticed something.. Toto- Hold The Line has a similar riff to Blood of my Enemies lol
16.02.2009 - 11:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 16.02.2009 at 11:53

I just noticed something.. Toto- Hold The Line has a similar riff to Blood of my Enemies lol

Aha I knew it... Manowar ripped off Toto
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2009 - 13:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I would be so glad there, if Toto's lawyers legion strike Manowar now forcing them quit their business...like DiMaio's squad did to Rhapsody
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.02.2009 - 15:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ellrohir on 16.02.2009 at 13:14

I would be so glad there, if Toto's lawyers legion strike Manowar now forcing them quit their business...like DiMaio's squad did to Rhapsody

wtf you hate manowar now?
16.02.2009 - 16:11
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well i still like their music, but i hate how they are messing with Rhapsody in public...
----

16.02.2009 - 17:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 16.02.2009 at 16:11

Well i still like their music, but i hate how they are messing with Rhapsody in public...

Well, that is actually Rhapsody's own fault due to contract breach.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2009 - 19:00
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well i wonder how they harmed Manowar with any thing they do (i have to admit i dont know the exact background)...

the only thing that is really harming Manowar in my eyes is this silly "anti-Rhapsody" campaign...
----

16.02.2009 - 19:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ellrohir on 16.02.2009 at 19:00

Well i wonder how they harmed Manowar with any thing they do (i have to admit i dont know the exact background)...

the only thing that is really harming Manowar in my eyes is this silly "anti-Rhapsody" campaign...

lol Rhapsody play false metal tbh
26.03.2009 - 05:26
Lord_Regnier
Manowar don't really play metal either. They have a heavy sound but their music is more hard rock than metal.

I hate that kind of gay poser cheesemetal, personally.

Manowar is a love or hate band, imo, and I always hated them since at least 20 years.

Don't want to offend anyone. Only wish to give my opinion.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
30.04.2009 - 15:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lord_Regnier on 26.03.2009 at 05:26

Manowar don't really play metal either. They have a heavy sound but their music is more hard rock than metal.

Manowar is a love or hate band, imo, and I always hated them since at least 20 years.

while indeed you are right, Manowar is a major player on the world market for this:

their music and lyrics are among the best i've heard to get you pumped up and vent all your anger and innermost frustrations to. of course not everyone sees them like that, but that is how i see them and that is why i love them.

but as far as them being hard rock, this video disagrees with you
01.05.2009 - 00:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lord_Regnier on 26.03.2009 at 05:26

Like them or not, I'm really curious as to why they would be considered hard rock and not metal? Because they don't have harsh vocals? I'd really like to know your definition between metal and hard rock....
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.05.2009 - 00:37
Lord_Regnier
Written by Doc G. on 01.05.2009 at 00:04

Like them or not, I'm really curious as to why they would be considered hard rock and not metal? Because they don't have harsh vocals? I'd really like to know your definition between metal and hard rock....

Because their music is too simple, too basic, and most of the time too slow for metal standards. Metal is more complex than that. On the complexity level, Manowar don't go any further than hard rock.

The riffing is not aggressive at all.

Drums are among the most basic you can find (it's comparable to AC/DC) and very slow. Drums suck major ass in Manowar.

Also, on their old albums, production is not even heavy and Adam's vocals have much in common with hard rock.

The cheese factor that is so obvious in Manowar is another thing it shares with hard rock. Personally, I see absolutely no aggressivity in Manowar's music, only laughable cheesiness.

Finally: the image. Manowar's look and attitude belong to cock rock, not metal. And Manowar can say out loud "how much they are true" and "how they despise posers" as often as they want, they act constantly like the greatest posers on earth themselves. Commercial sellouts to the bone.

P.S. I'm not sure it's a good idea to start a discussion on Manowar with me. I'll be honest right from the start: there's no other band I despise as much as Manowar and I never have anything positive to say about those shitty posers. I hate their music because it sucks and I hate them as human beings.
----
01.05.2009 - 02:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lord_Regnier on 01.05.2009 at 00:37

Written by Doc G. on 01.05.2009 at 00:04

Because their music is too simple, too basic, and most of the time too slow for metal standards. Metal is more complex than that. On the complexity level, Manowar don't go any further than hard rock.

The riffing is not aggressive at all.

Drums are among the most basic you can find (it's comparable to AC/DC) and very slow. Drums suck major ass in Manowar.

Also, on their old albums, production is not even heavy and Adam's vocals have much in common with hard rock.

The cheese factor that is so obvious in Manowar is another thing it shares with hard rock.

No offence intended, but thats possibly the worst set of arguments I've seen on here...most people I know who only have a vague interest in metal could shoot holes in that argument.

A) Too simple? So I suppose Venom, Municipal Waste, Hellhammer, Darkthrone (just to name a few) are all no longer metal either.

B) Too slow? Black Sabbath, Cathedral, Monolithe, Ahab, My Dying Bride, Sleep, Electric Wizard, Katatonia, are all no longer metal either.

C) Aggressive riffing is really subjective, I could easily say that about 75% of all metal bands.

D)Cheese factor? CHEESE FACTOR?! If you think cheesiness is bigger in hard rock than metal I'm really starting to think your just screwing with us....

I DARE you to show me something from the hardrock any genre that matches that in cheese.

PS- I have plenty of videos too if you'd like to see them...
----
- George Carlin
01.05.2009 - 04:26
Lord_Regnier
I don't like arguing on metal forums nowadays and can get bored of it real fast. I give my personal opinion and then I often don't bother to defend it. I don't feel any need to justify my opinions and positions, as I don't care if people agree with me or not (I'm not here to convince others). And this will probably look arrogant, but what people think of me on the internet doesn't matter to me.

When I hear a Manowar song, I hear hard rock, not metal. And it's all that matters to me in this case.

So, from now on, I'll only give my opinion when I wish to do it but I won't give any explanation after, even if people quote my posts. Otherwise, it drags on and on, becomes way too much time-consuming, tedious and dull.

Arguing over bands and genres is pointless, anyway. It's all about opinions in the end, and when opinions differ, nothing the other person can say will change our personal views.
----
06.05.2009 - 20:13
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
I decided to give Manowar a try the other day and played Kings of Metal which is among their very best releases i suppose, thus couldn't stand listening to it more than 2-3 times. To be fair, i'll add this comment from another forum:
"Thank god for manowar then, who else would save our teenagers from the cruel world"
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
07.05.2009 - 02:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Doc G. on 01.05.2009 at 02:51

fuck Manowar. i just wanted to post Messiah's face again. i looked at it just once, and lo, i am bewitched.

/em doomdances off the thread.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.05.2009 - 17:27
Lord_Regnier
Written by Doc G. on 01.05.2009 at 02:51

No offence intended, but thats possibly the worst set of arguments I've seen on here...most people I know who only have a vague interest in metal could shoot holes in that argument.

A) Too simple? So I suppose Venom, Municipal Waste, Hellhammer, Darkthrone (just to name a few) are all no longer metal either.

B) Too slow? Black Sabbath, Cathedral, Monolithe, Ahab, My Dying Bride, Sleep, Electric Wizard, Katatonia, are all no longer metal either.

C) Aggressive riffing is really subjective, I could easily say that about 75% of all metal bands.

D)Cheese factor? CHEESE FACTOR?! If you think cheesiness is bigger in hard rock than metal I'm really starting to think your just screwing with us....

Finally, I've decided to answer this.

A) Venom, Hellhammer and Darkthrone are of course all metal. (I don't know Municipal Waste, So I can't talk about it)

Their music is not especially technical, indeed, but they all have roughness, harshness, rawness, speed (less for Hellhammer though). They don't sound at all like hard rock. They have absolutely nothing radio-friendly, especially has they're all 'dirty' produced. It's not something we could label as easily accessible.
Manowar sounds like watered down music, made simple to appeal to the mainstream masses who like very simple, easily accessible music. Just for fun, try playing Manowar while your mother (who likes hard rock in general and enjoys Bon Jovi and Def Leppard when they play on the radio) is at home, then try playing these bands. I don't think you'll get the same kind of reaction. She might not like Manowar but I don't think her hair will get straight up like with Hellhammer, Venom and Darkthrone.
By the way, even if it's often simple, I like old Darkthrone quite a lot.

B) All the bands you mention are slow, or at least have slow songs. However, they're much heavier than Manowar, often much more depressive, with production that won't appeal to mainstream masses. They don't sound like hard rock but like very heavy, very slow and depressive music. Doom Metal has much more weight in the sound than hard rock, too much to be catchy for mainstream people. Also, the extreme slowness of some bands will put most people off and not attract them. Same for the very depressive mood you can find in lots of Doom bands.
The bands you mention are metal but of a slow, very heavy and depressive kind.
Manowar, on the other hand, play generally at a speed that is easily accessible for most people (not too fast, not too slow), a comfortable range for people in general. A speed you usually encounter in hard rock.

C) Aggressive riffing is indeed subjective, as we have very different standards for what we consider as aggressive in music. To me, Manowar's riffs sound catchy on purpose, not distortioned. Again, easily accessible for people who are not necessarily into metal music. I admit I've been often told by people that it takes something really aggressive for me to consider it as aggressive, that I have rough standards, high standards when it comes to aggressivity. To me, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are excellent heavy metal bands (or at least were during the 80s) and I like their old stuff a lot, but they're on the soft metal side, according to me. I'm surely not one of those who think old Blind Guardian is too rough and raw. It's only a tiny bit rough on the edges.

D) As for the cheese factor. Well, cheesiness can appear in many forms and I should have explained it better. What I meant is Manowar uses tons and tons and tons of mainstream clichés and stereotypes that feel targeted at creating a commercial image, a trademark that will sell. There is nothing original or even anti-conformist. They make it look as some way to promote individuality and freedom, while in fact it's basically "Hey, come and be part of the gang". This "Brothers Of Metal" thingy is the living proof of it.
The only goal is to give some 'belonging' feeling to people in order to sell and make money. All about Manowar is a huge marketing operation. And their lyrics are cheesy and cliché as fuck, always revolving around the same shallow concepts (and words). Their mascot is a total rip-off of Conan, chosen to get the attention of all the kids who believe their life sucks or have a rush of testosterone.
And their image? They look so fucking ultra gay. They always try to use sex-appeal to get attention which is not a characteristic of metal in general. It belongs much more to hard rock and even much more to cock rock (glam if you prefer).
Cheesy cliché music, cheesy lyrics, cheesy image, cheesy album covers, cheesy look...

To summarize all this: The reason I think Manowar doesn't belong to metal but to hard rock (or even cock rock on a few aspects) is not only because their music is simple and basic, generally rather slow, not aggressive or cheesy. It's the combination of all these elements that draws an overall picture of commercialism pushed to the extreme, mass appeal, accessibility for non-metal folks, instrumental mediocrity (playing), 'mainstreamness', etc that is, imo, closer to hard rock and glam than metal.
----
24.05.2009 - 19:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Well, you list both Judas priest and Iron Maiden as great heavy metal bands, then condemn Manowar for their production and being catchy...am I the only one who sees the flaw here? Not only that, Judas Priest are just about as guilty for the "Join the gang type attitude", especially on Defenders Of The Faith. Once again, your using subjective view points to argue your point - "heaviness" seems to have been turned into a subjective thing here, because I do find a lot of Manowars riffs heavy - in fact, the exact same thing could be said about Wintersun, I find them to be weak in the riff department, perhaps they are just hard rock with some growls thrown in? Another thing, This:
Quote:
The only goal is to give some 'belonging' feeling to people in order to sell and make money. All about Manowar is a huge marketing operation.

Give me a few hours and I'll find you an extensive list of indisputable metal bands who do the same.
Quote:
And their lyrics are cheesy and cliché as fuck, always revolving around the same shallow concepts (and words). Their mascot is a total rip-off of Conan, chosen to get the attention of all the kids who believe their life sucks or have a rush of testosterone.

This part doesn't even do anything to support your argument.
Quote:
And their image? They look so fucking ultra gay. They always try to use sex-appeal to get attention which is not a characteristic of metal in general.

Sexuality is a big part of pretty much any form of music. The difference between Manowar and a lot of metal you may be thinking of is that it doesn't have a violent edge to it.

They are heavy metal because:
A) They use heavy riffs
B) The inclusion of powerful, over-the-top vocals
C) The frequent use of double-bass drumming
D) Over-the-top imagery

Now you may not agree with them as a band, but they are in fact heavy metal. The whole revisionist nit-picking is poorly explained with there being dozens of examples contradicting your arguments against the band.
----
- George Carlin
24.05.2009 - 20:30
Lord_Regnier
As I see, you like Manowar, so nothing I can say will make you agree with me.
You're too biased favorably towards the band. I prefer to abandon this discussion.
You might think my points are subjective but I think yours are no less subjective, the other way around.

As for Wintersun, I like it but it's basically Powermetal with harsh vocals and a few blastbeats here and there, from my point of view.
----