Metal Storm logo
Manowar

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 03.06.2006 - 00:23
As I sit here and listen to most likely the greatest band of all time I notice that there isn't a topic for them, so I decided to make one. Manowar are a band that you must love, and if you don't, you're gay. Haha, seriously though. They make some wicked music, though pompous, they deserve to be, I mean, they are the KINGS OF METAL. I do enjoy their upbeat attitude, killer riffing, and Eric Adams god like vocals. Very manly. I would call them Heavy Metal (or moreover, Traditional Metal) than anything, but they do have some Speed and Power Metal tendencies every now and then. Any fans?

And remember kids, while other bands play - Manowar kill.
24.05.2009 - 20:37
Lord_Regnier
Written by Doc G. on 24.05.2009 at 19:36

They are heavy metal because:
A) They use heavy riffs
B) The inclusion of powerful, over-the-top vocals
C) The frequent use of double-bass drumming
D) Over-the-top imagery

You can find all these things in hard rock and progressive hard rock.
It doesn't prove anything.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
24.05.2009 - 20:50
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.05.2009 at 20:30

As I see, you like Manowar, so nothing I can say will make you agree with me.
You're too biased favorably towards the band. I prefer to abandon this discussion.
You might think my points are subjective but I think yours are no less subjective, the other way around.

As for Wintersun, I like it but it's basically Powermetal with harsh vocals and a few blastbeats here and there, from my point of view.

And you obviously hate Manowar and your opinion is therefore more valid!? Come on you can dislike the band all you like, but saying that they're not metal is just wrong for the exact same reasons Dr.Rock already mentioned.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
24.05.2009 - 20:56
Lord_Regnier
I obviously hate Manowar indeed and I don't pretend my opinion is more valid than Dr.Rock's.

Though I stick with my opinion. Manowar is closer to hard rock than metal from my point of view.
I think it depends on our personal standards. I know lots of people who share my opinion and label Manowar as hard rock, by the way.
Like I said, the elements Dr.Rock mention can be found outside of metal too.

Anyway, Manowar suck and DeMaio is a cocky douchebag, regardless of the genre they truely belong to.
----
01.06.2009 - 13:09
Van Steel
This is my first post here, so I just decided to say: Hail to all brothers and sisters, born with a heart of Steel!

P.S. F*ck the World! Hail and Kill!
----
01.06.2009 - 15:27
Lord_Regnier
Written by Van Steel on 01.06.2009 at 13:09

This is my first post here, so I just decided to say: Hail to all brothers and sisters, born with a heart of Steel!

P.S. F*ck the World! Hail and Kill!

You know, when you read this kind of silly post so often from Manowar fans, you get the feeling their fanbase is made mostly of hopeless morons.
----
01.06.2009 - 15:47
Van Steel
Written by Lord_Regnier on 01.06.2009 at 15:27

You know, when you read this kind of silly post so often from Manowar fans, you get the feeling their fanbase is made mostly of hopeless morons.

Thanks, dude. So you are a very smart guy. Cool, just quit this topic and listen to your own music for non-morons Manowar is a great band with a lot of fans, so
calling us "morons" will not help you a lot. You won't prove anything.
If you don't like the band, cool. Post only one comment that they suck and leave. Simple.

Hail to the other morons form the biggest moron But still other bands play, Manowar kill.
----
01.06.2009 - 16:02
Lord_Regnier
What I meant is those comments make people sound like 5-year old kids. And I know some Manowar fans who are embarrassed by this attitude. There are intelligent Manowar fans but those like you make all their fans look like retards.

People like you who sound like brainwashed idiots who can't do anything better than repeat marketing slogans taint the reputation of all the fanbase.
----
01.06.2009 - 16:43
Van Steel
Written by Lord_Regnier on 01.06.2009 at 16:02

What I meant is those comments make people sound like 5-year old kids. And I know some Manowar fans who are embarrassed by this attitude. There are intelligent Manowar fans but those like you make all their fans look like retards.

People like you who sound like brainwashed idiots who can't do anything better than repeat marketing slogans taint the reputation of all the fanbase.

Ok, thanks again I admit my IQ is not so high, maybe I am a brainwashed idiot. Sure, so I must apologize to all intelligent Manowar fans. Excuse me for being a moron, a retard and brainwashed idiot, and thanks again for the definition to Lord_Regnier!

If you excuse me now, I will listen to more "marketing slogans" and than I will work on improving my IQ

Stop arguing about Intelligence, personalities of fans, stupid trivial quotes (used alsoby some intelligent people just for fun ) and listen to your favorite music.

Have a good and successful day to you, Lord_Regnier and everybody else
----
01.06.2009 - 16:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.02.2009 at 13:49

Written by Valentin B on 04.02.2009 at 11:21

my least favorite album is Into Glory Ride, does anyone share my opinion? i don't know i just find that it doesn't have the definite killer tracks(Gloves of Metal is nice and that main riff slays though)

Together with Hail To England by far the best Manowar album. And no killer tracks? FFS, are you deaf? Revelation (Death's Angel) is probably the best Manowar track ever.

yeah, i've seen the errors of my ways

now that i've gone through all of their discography the only stuff i find boring are the filler tracks from Louder than Hell(Outlaw, Power, Today is a Good Day to Die), most of Achilles, the gratuitous bass solos(yes Joey we know you can shred that poor guitar and you're stuck playing bass) and Gods of War(apart from King of Kings)

also, Joey is going too over the top for my liking sometimes, like pronouncing Wagner as the godfather of metal and saying "Manowar never wanted to be a typical American band and play the shit that those motherfuckers do" while having a flag of the USA on their Warriors album and whatnot.. Eric is a much more cool-headed and friendly guy, and you can see he enjoys what he does(from the Live in Bulgaria 2007 filmings: "ok here comes the fun part of the night, YAAAAAAAAAA!!") lol and on the Earthshaker DVD when he stomps on Joey's pedal in the beginning of Black Wind Fire and Steel... lovely..

sometimes i think metal vocalists are being too serious and 'artistic' on stage(i'm thinking of Halford right now, though that's part of his stage persona, something like "Matthew Hopkins meets the gay drill sergeant of your worst nightmares" i'm sure he's pretty nice in real life but there are tons of people such as Gaahl, the guys at Dimmu Borgir, Kvarfoth from Shining or Marylin Manson who want to look as evil and shocking as possible and end up looking like constipated fucks)

an example of someone agreeing with me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XE4Cv5tBlg
06.06.2009 - 08:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by GT on 24.05.2009 at 20:50

Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.05.2009 at 20:30

As I see, you like Manowar, so nothing I can say will make you agree with me.
You're too biased favorably towards the band. I prefer to abandon this discussion.
You might think my points are subjective but I think yours are no less subjective, the other way around.

As for Wintersun, I like it but it's basically Powermetal with harsh vocals and a few blastbeats here and there, from my point of view.

And you obviously hate Manowar and your opinion is therefore more valid!? Come on you can dislike the band all you like, but saying that they're not metal is just wrong for the exact same reasons Dr.Rock already mentioned.

That and their classification won't change my opinion on them. I like them, but I don't think I could be called a "Manowarrior"

But besides that, I listen to a lot of stuff outside of metal, so the fact that I like Manowar is pretty irrelevant in this argument. Also consider the fact that I also hate a lot of bands that I have no choice but to acknowledge as metal...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.06.2009 - 09:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 06.06.2009 at 08:54

But besides that, I listen to a lot of stuff outside of metal, so the fact that I like Manowar is pretty irrelevant in this argument.

me too but i still consider myself a Manowar fan, i mean they imo play a really unique kind of metal, everything is stripped down to the basics, cranked up and cheesified to make an extraordinary and very involving listening experience

i don't think that if Joey deMaio thinks you're a poser if you listen to Ramones it should ruin the musical experience...
06.06.2009 - 09:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Valentin B on 06.06.2009 at 09:28

But besides that, I listen to a lot of stuff outside of metal, so the fact that I like Manowar is pretty irrelevant in this argument.

me too but i still consider myself a Manowar fan, i mean they imo play a really unique kind of metal, everything is stripped down to the basics, cranked up and cheesified to make an extraordinary and very involving listening experience

i don't think that if Joey deMaio thinks you're a poser if you listen to Ramones it should ruin the musical experience...

It obviously doesn't. I listen to a lot of punk other than the Ramones, and comparing Manowar to say...the Dead Kennedys or th Casualties, you'll notice its they are extremely opposing attitudes. I imagine I would be a poser in Mr.DeMaio's eyes, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy those solid riffs.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.06.2009 - 09:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 06.06.2009 at 09:36

Written by Valentin B on 06.06.2009 at 09:28

It obviously doesn't. I listen to a lot of punk other than the Ramones, and comparing Manowar to say...the Dead Kennedys or th Casualties, you'll notice its they are extremely opposing attitudes. I imagine I would be a poser in Mr.DeMaio's eyes, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy those solid riffs.

yeah me too, even though i don't listen to much stuff outside metal i enjoy lots of stuff outside of it including some of the most "poser" bands like Bullet for my Valentine or Bon Jovi..

anyway i'm gonna see them in almost exactly one month from now on, gonna be at the front of the stage screaming along like a real fan, guess that's all that matters(and all that SHOULD matter to deMaio, the other guys are really cool, only he's a jerk)

maybe this time i'll catch a drumstick or guitar pick or something :
16.06.2009 - 09:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
The "Father" versions have been leaked, this is the english one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecCGZZBs9mI&feature=related
17.06.2009 - 18:16
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Hmm that was pretty boring
----

17.06.2009 - 18:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by GT on 17.06.2009 at 18:16

sure it ain't nothing special but i believe it's a nice break from their previous works which were either heavy metal stripped down to the bone(Warriors) or ultra-cheese-soaked symphonic masturbation(Gods of War) Manowar definitely need some subtlety in their music.. live all their tracks must be awesome but on the albums it's getting a bit redundant...

Setlist from their performance at Provinssrock festival

1. Manowar
2. Blood Of My Enemies
3. Hand Of Doom
4. Call To Arms
5. Brothers Of Metal
6. Heart Of Steel
7. Shell Shock
8. Die With Honor
9. Kings Of Metal
10. Fast Taker
11. The Gods Made Heavy Metal
12. Warriors Of The World United
13. Kill With Power
Encore:
14. Hail And Kill

imo if this is the setlist for the other festivals this summer it's a pretty weak setlist, there's many killer songs ommited(Black Wind Fire and Steel, Each Dawn i Die, Thor, Metal Daze) but i'm pretty thankful that they left out Metal Warriors, which is imo one of their poorer live anthems, it's not epic or anything.. but one of the high points must be linking Blood of My Enemies with Manowar, holy shit, that must be insanely epic. Manowar, born to live forevermore, the right to conquer every shore.. Maaa-nooo-waaaarr..........(guitar feedback) DA NA DA TURUTURTURU TA TURUTURTURU TA

all in all though if this is the set they'll have here i'd be pretty happy, though i expect they're gonna play a bit more stuff since it's their first time here, hopefully some of the songs they left out here
17.06.2009 - 18:50
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Valentin B on 17.06.2009 at 18:42

Written by GT on 17.06.2009 at 18:16

sure it ain't nothing special but i believe it's a nice break from their previous works which were either heavy metal stripped down to the bone(Warriors) or ultra-cheese-soaked symphonic masturbation(Gods of War) Manowar definitely need some subtlety in their music.. live all their tracks must be awesome but on the albums it's getting a bit redundant...

Oh sure, I'm not saying it was bad, 'cause I don't think it was. I just didn't expect it to be a ballad that's all
----

18.06.2009 - 20:44
Nimlot
A. Reader
I don't like Father in any of the languages... it's a very boring song and their worst ballad... I really respect the fact that they recorded it in 16 languages (including Bulgarian ) but the song is simply bad... anyway the rest of the EP is pretty good.
23.07.2009 - 15:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Fuck i love Blood of the Kings, it's such a cheesy song with some of the most interesting lyrics they ever did... i mean did they actually name their albums on purpose to make a verse in a song about them later?... i think they either spent 3 weeks trying to write it thinking "shit, we gotta cramp all these album and song titles into one song and then some more filler verses" or they wrote it in 10 minutes while drunk.
23.07.2009 - 15:44
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Nimlot on 18.06.2009 at 20:44

I don't like Father in any of the languages... it's a very boring song and their worst ballad... I really respect the fact that they recorded it in 16 languages (including Bulgarian ) but the song is simply bad... anyway the rest of the EP is pretty good.

i fully agree here...i had great expectations about "such a great song" as Father was presented to be, but i was kinda disappointed...but especially the new version of The Crown And The Ring kicks ass and other songs too
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.07.2009 - 20:19
Nimlot
A. Reader
Written by Valentin B on 23.07.2009 at 15:35

Fuck i love Blood of the Kings, it's such a cheesy song with some of the most interesting lyrics they ever did... i mean did they actually name their albums on purpose to make a verse in a song about them later?... i think they either spent 3 weeks trying to write it thinking "shit, we gotta cramp all these album and song titles into one song and then some more filler verses" or they wrote it in 10 minutes while drunk.

Jon Oliva did a similar thing with the song "People Say - Gimme Some Hell" from his first album with the new project, the lyrics are cleverly weaved names of songs from Savatage. I simply love they way both bands have done this.
23.07.2009 - 20:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Nimlot on 23.07.2009 at 20:19

Written by Valentin B on 23.07.2009 at 15:35

Jon Oliva did a similar thing with the song "People Say - Gimme Some Hell" from his first album with the new project, the lyrics are cleverly weaved names of songs from Savatage. I simply love they way both bands have done this.

yeah i noticed Amon Amarth's Metalwrath does the same thing, anyway i've listened only to Blood of the Kings from all of these so i can't comment on them
24.07.2009 - 10:49
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Again listened to new version of The Crown And The Ring...damn, this is such a majestic song...
----

24.07.2009 - 12:23
MadGatsu
Written by Ellrohir on 24.07.2009 at 10:49

Again listened to new version of The Crown And The Ring...damn, this is such a majestic song...

Crown and the Ring is to us metalheads as "Ave Maria" is for catholic people
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
24.07.2009 - 12:42
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
That's very nice comparison
----

24.07.2009 - 14:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by MadGatsu on 24.07.2009 at 12:23

To some metalheads maybe. But certainly not to me and anyone else who hates Manowar
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.07.2009 - 14:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
It is because you are atheist metalhead who doesnt believe in Metal God(s)
----

16.08.2009 - 10:31
MadGatsu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.07.2009 at 14:03

Written by MadGatsu on 24.07.2009 at 12:23

To some metalheads maybe. But certainly not to me and anyone else who hates Manowar

If you hate Manowar so much, then why dont you cut the crap and go post somewhere else? I bet it would make everyone feel better, including you.
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
16.08.2009 - 10:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well it is everyone's choice, what and where to post and what and where not
----

17.08.2009 - 22:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
And some of us don't like people speaking for all of us.

to me the band is just a bad joke that entirely too many people aren't in on. no way in hell do i want people saying they represent me.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!