Metal Storm logo
Alestorm

05.02.2008 - 20:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Folk Power metal from Scottland...on 25th of January they have released their debut album Captain Morgan's Revenge...they are quite similar to bands like Turisas or Ensiferum (only instead of Viking warriors they are singing about Caribbean pirates if i am not wrong )

http://www.myspace.com/alestorm (check out Captain Morgan's Revenge )
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.02.2008 - 20:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I check IMO its be one of best album of 2008
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.02.2008 - 21:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
only one month of 2008 passed so far i'd wait with judging "the best albums" but it is good piece of music, thats no doubt
----

05.02.2008 - 22:17
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Eh. They're essentially Children Of Bodom (circa Hatebreeder) with a 'Pirate' theme to 'em - as in, lyrics/artwork etc. with a more upbeat Korpiklaani sort of happy/drinking vibe going on.
The Bodom song Bed Of Razors could've fit perfectly on this album if they'd have named the song Mead Of Razors or something of that sort.

Cheap ear candy. Yet, ear candy nonetheless.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
06.02.2008 - 05:04
Fhuesc
I can't stand that type of clean vocals.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
06.02.2008 - 14:44
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i love it
----

06.02.2008 - 15:10
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I think that "Captain Morgan's Revenge" is one of the best 2008 albums released so far! I read the review of "Captain Morgan's Revenge" and the first thing that i noticed was the genre definition (Pirate Metal). As soon as i finished reading the review, i went to their myspace. I must say that this album surprised me, specially the lyrics!
07.02.2008 - 07:46
Harmonic
Account deleted
The vocals are lacking. I can't tell if it's the singer or the low production values. Great theme for a band, though - I'll try listening again in a few days.
07.02.2008 - 19:51
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Yeah they're a great band. I first heard about them when they were called Battleheart. Haven't heard the new album, but I've heard a few of the songs on it and they're great. I just love this kind of folk/power metal.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
07.02.2008 - 20:18
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i am going to see them live in summer on Masters of Rock and i am really looking forward to their gig there
----

07.02.2008 - 23:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by CrypticMyth on 05.02.2008 at 22:17

Eh. They're essentially Children Of Bodom (circa Hatebreeder) with a 'Pirate' theme to 'em - as in, lyrics/artwork etc. with a more upbeat Korpiklaani sort of happy/drinking vibe going on.
The Bodom song Bed Of Razors could've fit perfectly on this album if they'd have named the song Mead Of Razors or something of that sort.

Lol. Ridiculous. Hatebreeder is about pirates now?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.02.2008 - 00:16
VPeter
mwah basicly a harsher version of Running Wild with a cheese factor to it and I can't stand those vocals.
08.02.2008 - 01:47
RockeRoy
Thats 41,5 minutes i never get back!! seriously this is total crap in my ears, i don't know why i still check out bands like this! i guess it was the pirate team this time! aaahhh...
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
08.02.2008 - 02:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
who forced you to listen to them so long if you dont like it ?
----

08.02.2008 - 02:09
RockeRoy
Written by Ellrohir on 08.02.2008 at 02:05

who forced you to listen to them so long if you dont like it ?

I always listen to albums from start to finish, if not i can't give a true opinion
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
08.02.2008 - 10:21
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by Doc G. on 07.02.2008 at 23:08

Your interpretation skills are quite scintillating, it must be said.

I was talking about the music. Hence the 'with a Pirate theme to 'em' quip.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
08.02.2008 - 23:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by CrypticMyth on 08.02.2008 at 10:21

Written by Doc G. on 07.02.2008 at 23:08

Your interpretation skills are quite scintillating, it must be said.

I was talking about the music. Hence the 'with a Pirate theme to 'em' quip.

Hm, I couldnt quite understand the point you were getting at. Frankly the only resemblance I see is, you know, they use guitars...and keyboards. Its much closer to Korpiklaani than Bodom.
----
- George Carlin
09.02.2008 - 10:35
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
^^Yeah?? I thought that Alestorm were very Bodom like, in terms of song structure and overall sound of the band. The keyboards during the rhythm did it in for me. Couldn't think of any other band as soon as I heard the album, especially the first song, Over The Seas.

But I'm no expert on most things Power Metal.
----
09.02.2008 - 14:13
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i think they are more close to Turisas or Ensiferum...Bodom are a bit different, i´d say (or at least on their masterpiece Follow The Reaper, i dont have their actual stuff)
----

09.02.2008 - 20:12
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
I was talking about Hatebreeder. Specifically the song Bed Of Razors.
----
10.02.2008 - 16:31
Jonnz of Steel
Great band, Scotland's finest. Proud to say I attended their first ever gig
13.02.2008 - 21:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

I have to agree with this point though, though I like there music and I am probably going to buy there album, I could very well see them just becoming a novelty act.
----
- George Carlin
15.02.2008 - 01:30
W-Lash
Metal Master
It's so amusing to see idiots calling this band "pirate metal"...
In fact i haven't heard anything of Alestorm but if it sounds like Turisas then it's probably gonna suck balls.
15.02.2008 - 12:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
It's so amusing to read some people "opinions"...
----

16.02.2008 - 07:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by W-Lash on 15.02.2008 at 01:30

It's so amusing to see idiots calling this band "pirate metal"...
In fact i haven't heard anything of Alestorm but if it sounds like Turisas then it's probably gonna suck balls.

Its your novelty folk metal band with a pirate theme to the music. Fun to listen to but hard to take seriously at times. But all in all your comment seems to be pretty childish and pointless, I suggest taking the time to listen to a band before you waste everyones time making comments like that.
----
- George Carlin
18.02.2008 - 15:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I really don't see the fuss about this band. TYhey sound like a third rate Skycald to me.
And IMOP the tag Pirate Metal is the stupidest tag ever. As if people have any idea what sort of music pirates made. It is just pirate themed folk power metal that's it and substandard at best.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.02.2008 - 18:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.02.2008 at 15:30

And IMOP the tag Pirate Metal is the stupidest tag ever. As if people have any idea what sort of music pirates made.

Hahaha I agree man, it's more stupid than "Battle Metal".
----
20.02.2008 - 07:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Warman on 18.02.2008 at 18:16

And IMOP the tag Pirate Metal is the stupidest tag ever. As if people have any idea what sort of music pirates made.

I think its just mostly a way to catch peoples eye. I mean, if it is just labeled as folk metal then people might just pass over it, but with this new tag it kinda pulls people in.....so more of just advertisement then actual classification of music.
----
- George Carlin
20.02.2008 - 08:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 20.02.2008 at 07:54

I think its just mostly a way to catch peoples eye. I mean, if it is just labeled as folk metal then people might just pass over it, but with this new tag it kinda pulls people in.....so more of just advertisement then actual classification of music.

And since Alestorm's music wouldn't be able to pull in on its own merit they surely do need a stupid tag such as Pirate Metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.02.2008 - 08:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.02.2008 at 08:31

Written by Doc G. on 20.02.2008 at 07:54

And since Alestorm's music wouldn't be able to pull in on its own merit they surely do need a stupid tag such as Pirate Metal.

Hahaha, good come back. It is silly music. And they are a novelty band, but I kind of listen to them for the same reason someone buys cotton candy, you know its a waste of money, and you know after eating it you'll feel sick, yet you can't help but eating more just because its so sugary.....I hope that makes as much sense to everyone else as it did to me....

Cheap thrill type thing I guess...
----
- George Carlin