Metal Storm logo
Metallica - To Re-Issue Early Albums On Vinyl

Metallica have issued the following update:

"While we're finishing up the new album, we told the dudes at the record company we thought it might be cool to dust off the old tapes and get all retro with some vinyl re-releases... First up are the first two albums (duh!?), "Kill 'Em All" and "Ride The Lightning," coming out on April 15 in North America and pretty fucking close to that in the rest of the world.

There will be two versions... one like the original on a single disc spinning at 33 1/3, the other a two disc, 180 gram vinyl, 45 rpm package all in a double gatefold. The music was half speed mastered from the original analog tapes at Mobile Fidelity to bring you audiophile quality.

Both versions will be available in the online store here and over at Met Club. Oh, and in case you were wondering, "Master" and "Justice" will obviously be next and should be coming out on vinyl in June."

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 15.03.2008 by Dane Train

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 35   Visited by: 117 users
15.03.2008 - 12:50
Opium
Account deleted
I see a shape in James' eyes, they resemble dollar signs...
15.03.2008 - 13:00
Stigma
Account deleted
Good for collectors I guess. I myself haven't (yet) gotten into vinyls.
15.03.2008 - 19:02
Locke
Account deleted
I may not know how to download a vinyl but god damn it I will find a way! I refuse to buy Metallica!
15.03.2008 - 21:36
SETHULHU
yogi_lb@hotmail.com
Elite
why would we download vinyl? will they re-record these or simply re-issue them form old tapes?
----
This site is great. FOR ME TO POOP ON.

reBubblefuckered !!!BAAAALEEETEEED!!!
16.03.2008 - 00:37
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by [user id=12867] on 15.03.2008 at 12:50

yeh, so true
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
16.03.2008 - 00:47
selken
Irreligious
Written by [user id=6449] on 15.03.2008 at 19:02

I may not know how to download a vinyl but god damn it I will find a way! I refuse to buy Metallica!

+1
----
16.03.2008 - 00:59
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by [user id=6449] on 15.03.2008 at 19:02

You've got to get a vinyl burner first...
16.03.2008 - 05:38
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite

Why is it when ever a band re-issues something, people always assume it is for the money. This may or may not be the case with Metallica here. But fr me, I can't wait, I buy most of my music on vinyl these days, and it is impossible to find copies of these Metallica albums. The only Metallica I have on Vinyl is Garage, Inc.. I really can't wait to here what these albums sound like on vinyl.

Written by SETHULHU on 15.03.2008 at 21:36

why would we download vinyl? will they re-record these or simply re-issue them form old tapes?

From my understanding they're releasing versions that are straight from the masters, and ones that are re-mastered.
----
(space for rent)
16.03.2008 - 09:47
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
What are vinyls?
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
16.03.2008 - 11:51
SETHULHU
yogi_lb@hotmail.com
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 16.03.2008 at 05:38

Why is it when ever a band re-issues something, people always assume it is for the money. This may or may not be the case with Metallica here. But fr me, I can't wait, I buy most of my music on vinyl these days, and it is impossible to find copies of these Metallica albums. The only Metallica I have on Vinyl is Garage, Inc.. I really can't wait to here what these albums sound like on vinyl.

Written by SETHULHU on 15.03.2008 at 21:36

From my understanding they're releasing versions that are straight from the masters, and ones that are re-mastered.

well if they do remaster "Justice" they would win back some fans ... but they need to add BASS to the mix this time :S
----
This site is great. FOR ME TO POOP ON.

reBubblefuckered !!!BAAAALEEETEEED!!!
16.03.2008 - 11:55
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 16.03.2008 at 05:38

Dane, I only apply this for Metallica and Metallica only. I'm generally interested when it's any other band releasing a remastered version of an album I like/appreciate, so not always. No need to rant here, we both know how annoying it is when others rave on about other bands cashing in
16.03.2008 - 15:58
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by [user id=12867] on 16.03.2008 at 11:55

Dane, I only apply this for Metallica and Metallica only. I'm generally interested when it's any other band releasing a remastered version of an album I like/appreciate, so not always. No need to rant here, we both know how annoying it is when others rave on about other bands cashing in

True, but how money are they really going to make from this? How many people still buy Vinyl compared to CDs?
----
(space for rent)
16.03.2008 - 18:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 16.03.2008 at 15:58

True, but how money are they really going to make from this? How many people still buy Vinyl compared to CDs?

Exactly, you just gave him the answer I wanted to give.

I for one will be very interested in the 45rpm 180 grammes double album versions since I have Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets all on 33 1/3 rpm single album versions (original european releases) And Justice For All was never released in a 33 1/3 rpm single album version so if they could release it in that version I would be interested as well.

And to all who think this is a cash-in, vinly releases nowadays are NEVER a cash-in.
All the live albums, compilations, different ep & single versions by Iron Maiden ARE cash-ins. The only cash-ins Metallica ever had were the multiple versions of their cd-singles.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.03.2008 - 08:29
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
joke joke joke joke. this scheme, this sham is going to fail.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
17.03.2008 - 08:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by LeChron James on 17.03.2008 at 08:29

Please to try explain to me what the sham is of re-releasing the first couple of albums on VINYL. It is almost impossible to get hold of the original vinyl releases nowadays, and even the the re-releases which were done a long time ago of those albums on vinyl are impossible to get hold of for a normal price. So I certainly don't see a scam/scheme/sham in this.
And how many will be sold? Not more than 10,000 at most per title I guarantee you. For this is only interesting for people that still play and LOVE vinyl.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.03.2008 - 08:52
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.03.2008 at 08:37

Please to try explain to me what the sham is of re-releasing the first couple of albums on VINYL. It is almost impossible to get hold of the original vinyl releases nowadays, and even the the re-releases which were done a long time ago of those albums on vinyl are impossible to get hold of for a normal price. So I certainly don't see a scam/scheme/sham in this.
And how many will be sold? Not more than 10,000 at most per title I guarantee you. For this is only interesting for people that still play and LOVE vinyl.

im saying its a joke because its only going to be purchased by a very specific group of people, the people who care way too much about vinyl and about metallica. releasing anything on vinyl nowadays is, in my opinion a move to try and revert to an age gone by. seriously, the only bands that actually produce shit on vinyl nowadays are the ULTRA KVLT black metal bands going for the kriegest and most savage black metal production ever. its in the 101 rules of black metal.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
17.03.2008 - 08:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by LeChron James on 17.03.2008 at 08:52

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.03.2008 at 08:37

im saying its a joke because its only going to be purchased by a very specific group of people, the people who care way too much about vinyl and about metallica. releasing anything on vinyl nowadays is, in my opinion a move to try and revert to an age gone by. seriously, the only bands that actually produce shit on vinyl nowadays are the ULTRA KVLT black metal bands going for the kriegest and most savage black metal production ever. its in the 101 rules of black metal.

This comment just shows total ignorance concerning vinyl and its collectors.
Go to a record fari and you'll find out that every single genre in music still releases vinyl for the collector, be it, black metal, stoner, doom/death, thrash, death metal, sludge, epic doom, Britpop, electronics, industrial, drone, noise, disco, motown, hip hop, rap, r&b
Albeit in small quantities.
And vinyl is currently gaining in popularity because of the size of the artwork, the extras which are often included, the wamrer more natural organic sound... etc
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.03.2008 - 17:45
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by LeChron James on 17.03.2008 at 08:52

So Dream Theater, Behold... The Arctopus, Bruce Springsteen, Slayer, John Fogerty, Nutral Milk Hotel, Spoon, Sufjan Stevens, Of Montreal, Opeth, and Sunn O))) are all KVLT Black Metal now?
----
(space for rent)
18.03.2008 - 15:03
Blackwind
I Like albums Leke They Are.I Think They Do This For The Money.
----
Who Don't Want To Hammer,Will Be Anvil - Adolf Hitler
18.03.2008 - 17:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
Can't believe Metallice get more shit for re-releasing their albums on vinyl (not much money in it) than Iron Maiden who are releasing their fourth official (there exist even more) best of-album since 1996.
----
19.03.2008 - 04:10
Daniel

Haha.

Exactly.
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
19.03.2008 - 07:49
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 16.03.2008 at 15:58

I wouldn't forget the supposed rise in the popularity of vinyls. There's also the existent market for those who seek vinyl releases, although it is dwarfed by the CD market, obviously. I wouldn't think of vinyl collectors as an insignificant minority, not if they do release their first four albums in this way.
19.03.2008 - 17:53
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by [user id=12867] on 19.03.2008 at 07:49

I wouldn't forget the supposed rise in the popularity of vinyls. There's also the existent market for those who seek vinyl releases, although it is dwarfed by the CD market, obviously. I wouldn't think of vinyl collectors as an insignificant minority, not if they do release their first four albums in this way.

Yup, but as you said, there are far more CD buys than vinyl buyers. From my own perspective, for every person I know who buys vinyl, I know 100 who buy don't.
----
(space for rent)
19.03.2008 - 17:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 19.03.2008 at 17:53

Written by [user id=12867] on 19.03.2008 at 07:49

Yup, but as you said, there are far more CD buys than vinyl buyers. From my own perspective, for every person I know who buys vinyl, I know 100 who buy don't.

Wow that is quite high to what I know here. To every person I know who buys vinly 1000 don't. But when I look at the active Dutch metal scene (so, bands, journos, programmers, etc.) than it changes, then to every perosn buying vinyl only 2 don't.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2008 - 17:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Born-2rise on 16.03.2008 at 09:47

What are vinyls?

Are you serious?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.03.2008 - 18:06
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2008 at 17:57

Wow that is quite high to what I know here. To every person I know who buys vinly 1000 don't. But when I look at the active Dutch metal scene (so, bands, journos, programmers, etc.) than it changes, then to every perosn buying vinyl only 2 don't.

I am sorry, maybe I should clarify a little better about the vinyls. Most of my friends who do buy them (and that is maybe two dozen or so), typically are buying Indie bands on vinyl. So as far as Metal goes, I actually only know a couple of other people who buy Metal on vinyl.
----
(space for rent)
19.03.2008 - 18:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 19.03.2008 at 18:06

I am sorry, maybe I should clarify a little better about the vinyls. Most of my friends who do buy them (and that is maybe two dozen or so), typically are buying Indie bands on vinyl. So as far as Metal goes, I actually only know a couple of other people who buy Metal on vinyl.

Aha, I see, well I am talking about people buying metal on vinyl. Here in the 'active' Dutch scene quite a few buy both the cd version and the vinyl version of a release.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2008 - 20:13
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2008 at 18:34

Written by Dane Train on 19.03.2008 at 18:06

It doesn't sound much different here, although, vinyl is starting to make a come back. I hope Metal artists start doing what the Indi Rock bands are doing where when you buy the vinyl, you get a free MP3 version of the album to dowload as well.

Aha, I see, well I am talking about people buying metal on vinyl. Here in the 'active' Dutch scene quite a few buy both the cd version and the vinyl version of a release.
----
(space for rent)
19.03.2008 - 21:55
Nyxgrinder
I wish St. Anger be aviable also......................
20.03.2008 - 08:46
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Written by Lucas on 19.03.2008 at 17:59

Written by Born-2rise on 16.03.2008 at 09:47

What are vinyls?

Are you serious?

na im not lol:P
but i dont understand why theyd wanna put the albums on vinyls!?!?!its rly a fucking dumb idea
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.

Hits total: 5103 | This month: 7