Metal Storm logo
Iced Earth - New Vocalist & European Tour Dates Announced

Official press release

In the wake of vocalist Matt Barlow's retirement, dozens of demos and resumes flooded Iced Earth's management team. But one name kept popping up - Into Eternity vocalist Stu Block, who has been named the new lead singer for Iced Earth.

According to Schaffer, Robert Kampf, CEO of Century Media, early on suggested Block, whose band Into Eternity was previously on the CM label. That reminded Schaffer of one night in September, 2008, when Into Eternity opened for Iced Earth.

"Iced Earth was backstage waiting to go on," said Schaffer. "We heard one of Stu's incredible wails. I remember turning to Matt and saying, 'Damn, that dude has serious range.'"

So while Iced Earth's management team sifted through the growing number of prospective vocalists, Schaffer got in touch with Block. After several phone conversations with the then-prospective Iced Earth vocalist, Schaffer asked his manager to e-mail Block several key Iced Earth songs, with the vocals stripped. Block went into his studio and recorded himself singing, then sent the files back to the team. The result landed Block an intense two days at Schaffer's studio where the two musicians hit it off.

"I felt a lot of chemistry between us, we knocked out a couple of great original pieces of music in no time" said Schaffer. "He's very good at coming up with catchy melodies, and will help with lyrical duties as well. There's no doubt Stu has an amazing vocal range and a lot of energy, but he also has the touring experience, which is a big plus for our plans of performing in all corners of the world."

In addition, Schaffer said Block has what Iced Earth needs in a front man: "stage presence that includes high energy, passion, and focused rage."

"Stu is charismatic and understands the depth and varying emotions in Iced Earth's music," said Schaffer. "So he will embody not only the emotion of our songs, but he will be able to perform them in a dynamic way. I believe fans are in for some incredible records and live shows in the coming years."

(Photo courtesy of Cortney Roth)

New Iced Earth vocalist Stu Block concurs: "Iced Earth fans are wonderful, wonderful people," he said. "The music is so passionate. So they're passionate, and very loyal to the band. I am, too. I'm a huge fan of Iced Earth myself. So I share that same passion, and I will show it on stage. I think the fans are really going to dig it."

Block continues: "It's a huge honor to be doing this, to be part of this team," he said. "It's a dream come true, for sure."

Schaffer is totally stoked. "This is a new beginning," he said. "It's game-on time. Iced Earth is going to record and tour like it never has before. The band is really amped-up and ready to hit the ground running in November."

And to prove it, Iced Earth has released the European leg of a world tour that will take the band to countries it has never previously played. All told, the 2011-2012 Iced Earth world tour will be the largest the band has undertaken since its inception.

Iced Earth - European Tour Dates:

01.11.2011 - NL - Amsterdam, Melkweg
02.11.2011 - NL - Uden, De Pul
03.11.2011 - BEL - Antwerp, Trix
04.11.2011 - GBR - London, O2 Shepherds Bush Empire
05.11.2011 - GBR - Birmingham, O2 Academy
06.11.2011 - GBR - Bristol, O2 Academy
08.11.2011 - FRA - Paris, Elysée Montmartre
09.11.2011 - FRA - Lyon, Transbordeur
10.11.2011 - ESP - Barcelona, Salamandra 1
11.11.2011 - ESP - Madrid, Sala Heineken
12.11.2011 - ESP - Bilbao, Rock Star Live
14.11.2011 - ITA - Milano, Alcatraz
15.11.2011 - ITA - Rome, Alpheus
18.11.2011 - GRE - Athens, Gagarin 205
19.11.2011 - GRE - Athens, Gagarin 205
20.11.2011 - GRE - Thessaloniki, Principal Club
21.11.2011 - BUL - Sofia, Yubileina Hall
22.11.2011 - ROM - Bucarest, The Silver Church
23.11.2011 - SER - Belgrade, SKC
24.11.2011 - HUN - Budapest, Club 202
25.11.2011 - SVK - Bratislava, Majestic Music Club
26.11.2011 - POL - Warsaw, Stodola
27.11.2011 - LTU - Vilnius, Forum Palace
29.11.2011 - RUS - Moscow, Milk
01.12.2011 - FIN - Helsinki, Nosturi
03.12.2011 - DEN - Copenhagen, The Rock
04.12.2011 - GER - Hamburg, Markthalle
06.12.2011 - GER - Herford, X
07.12.2011 - GER - Köln, Essigfabrik
08.12.2011 - GER - München, Backstage Werk
09.12.2011 - GER - Geiselwind, Christmas Metal Festival
10.12.2011 - SWI - Pratteln, Z7
11.12.2011 - GER - Ludwigsburg, Rockfabrik

Source: icedearth.com
Band profile: Iced Earth
Event: Iced Earth: World Dystopia Tour 2011-2012
Posted: 16.03.2011 by Mihailo_FF

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 49   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 349 users
16.03.2011 - 19:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've never heard Into Eternity, so I have no idea what this guy sounds like! lol *Goes to check out some of his vocals*

There is no way they would have undertaken such a long tour with Matt Barlow in the band, which I think is ultimately why he left. Jon sees Iced Earth as a full time commitment, whereas Matt only saw it as like a part-time hobby.

And there's no scottish dates!
16.03.2011 - 19:36
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I don't care much about Iced Earth. I'm just worried that my dearest Into Eternity might need a new vocalist now. Oh well, it's not like they have a new album on the way or anything...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.03.2011 - 19:40
Vegard R
Never heard of this guy before, but I've listened to some Into Eternity-songs today, and he do sounds very impressing..! Ten thousand times better than Mr. Boring - Tim Ripper Owens - in my opinion. Looking forward to hear the new guy singing old Iced Earth songs, as well as new material!
16.03.2011 - 19:43
Lonniehaskel
Haven't decided how I feel about this. I've been an Iced Earth fan since I discovered them shortly after the release of Something Wicked, and to this day, I've only seen them once due to work (and it was the TGB set). So I'm really hoping this decision was a good one and that they'll deliver live.
16.03.2011 - 19:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Woah, Ive just heard Stu, and Into Eternity, and it's kind of surprising that he'd be chosen for Iced Earth, but in a way it's also not. Jon is right about him having great range, not sure how he'll fit into Iced Earth though. Into Eternity sound pretty great too, shame they are losing their vocalist.
16.03.2011 - 19:46
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
I saw this guy open up for Iced Earth in 08... I'm fuckin stoked. I can't wait to see how this shit turns out. Everybody has all these "fill Matt Barlow's shoes" statements to make, but I think this guy is going to be a good mix of almost every vocalist they've had thus far. The only thing I'm worried about is how long he's actually gonna stick around, being that his other band is still functioning and all that...
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
16.03.2011 - 19:50
RavenKing
I don't like vocals in Into Eternity at all, so if the guy uses the same vocals in Iced Earth, I'm definitely out. He has range but I hate his high-pitched vocals.
Doesn't matter, as I expect nothing good to come out of Iced Earth anyway.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
16.03.2011 - 19:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
22.11.2011 - ROM - Bucarest, The Silver Church.

excellent.

just listened to Timeless Winter and HOLY GODDAMNED SHIT this guy is amazing. he has a much bigger diversity in his vocals than Barlow, Ripper AND Greely. i would say he is an excellent choice for the band, and i would 100% prefer an excellent album with him on vocals than some cashgrab with Barlow.
16.03.2011 - 20:17
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.03.2011 at 19:44

Woah, Ive just heard Stu, and Into Eternity, and it's kind of surprising that he'd be chosen for Iced Earth, but in a way it's also not. Jon is right about him having great range, not sure how he'll fit into Iced Earth though. Into Eternity sound pretty great too, shame they are losing their vocalist.
Listen to the song Timeless Winter on youtube. You might like him more ^^
----
loves 小巫
16.03.2011 - 20:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ag Fox on 16.03.2011 at 20:17
]Listen to the song Timeless Winter on youtube. You might like him more ^^

I already did a few minutes ago... hehe

It is a great song, and I'm intrigued to see how he'll fit in Iced Earth. I don't think his more death style vocals will fit, but he has great range, and I think he could pull it off. We''ll just have to wait and see. xD
16.03.2011 - 20:28
MetalSpider
Stu Block in Iced Earth? Never imagined that lol.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
16.03.2011 - 20:35
TheLostChord
I stopped giving a fuck about Iced Earth the first time Matt Barlow left the band.
16.03.2011 - 20:37
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Weird but nice choice for vocalist.

No date in Portugal?
16.03.2011 - 20:39
RavenKing
Ten studio albums, five different vocalists.
I wonder if any other metal band had so many changes of vocalist?
----
16.03.2011 - 20:40
ForgerOfFate
I think Stu will be a great fit. I dont think they could have found anyone better to fill such a position. I just woder if Stu will be using any of his growling in iced earth...would be very interesting....
16.03.2011 - 20:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 20:39

Right off the top of my head, Black Sabbath is an obvious answer. lol They've had Ozzy, Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, and Tony Martin in different lineups throughout the years.
16.03.2011 - 20:58
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.03.2011 at 20:47

Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 20:39

Right off the top of my head, Black Sabbath is an obvious answer. lol They've had Ozzy, Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, and Tony Martin in different lineups throughout the years.

Ah, yes. But their career has been much longer than Iced Earth's.
----
16.03.2011 - 21:07
Kriegsphilosoph
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 16.03.2011 at 19:36

I don't care much about Iced Earth. I'm just worried that my dearest Into Eternity might need a new vocalist now. Oh well, it's not like they have a new album on the way or anything...

Yes, they do.
16.03.2011 - 21:08
NeverAgain
Growly vocals in Iced Earth? About time they did something different. Colour me interested.
16.03.2011 - 21:08
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 20:58
Ah, yes. But their career has been much longer than Iced Earth's.

True, though Tony Martin is the last new vocalist they've had, and he joined in 1987. And they actually had 6 vocalists, if you count Ray Gillen who sang for them for a short time during the "7th Star" tour. lol So, they've had around the same amount of vocalists as Iced Earth have had in a similar time span. Because Sabbath haven't had any new vocalists since 1987.
16.03.2011 - 21:23
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Matt Barlow retiring sucks, but I like the work of this guy.
It might not be Barlow good, but it might be good compared to stuff like Night of the Stormrider.
16.03.2011 - 21:43
RavenKing
Written by [user id=101272] on 16.03.2011 at 21:23

It might not be Barlow good, but it might be good compared to stuff like Night of the Stormrider.

"Night Of The Stormrider" is the best studio stuff Iced Earth ever did.
----
16.03.2011 - 22:16
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by [user id=105265] on 16.03.2011 at 21:07

Written by BloodTears on 16.03.2011 at 19:36

Yes, they do.

I know, that's why I said that. That's why I'm worried.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.03.2011 - 23:23
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 21:43

Written by [user id=101272] on 16.03.2011 at 21:23

"Night Of The Stormrider" is the best studio stuff Iced Earth ever did.

Agreed.
17.03.2011 - 00:33
DoomGuard
Dislike
17.03.2011 - 01:11
24. 11. - Belgrade, SRB

First, Guardian and Priest, and Schaffer and Co. now coming to Belgrade! This is going to be one hell of a metal year
17.03.2011 - 01:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I slightly prefer "Burnt Offerings" to NOTS, but still, it is an amazing album. The likes of which, Jon will very likely never pen again.
17.03.2011 - 01:53
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.03.2011 at 01:17

I slightly prefer "Burnt Offerings" to NOTS, but still, it is an amazing album. The likes of which, Jon will very likely never pen again.

Totally agreed with the last sentence.
----
17.03.2011 - 01:54
WorpeX
Made of Metal
This is AWESOME news! I love Stu and I had the opportunity to see him open for Iced Earth a few years ago as well. Everything they say about him is true, incredible range, impressive stage performance and a lot of energy. I remember during his set he climbed on top of one of the Amps to sing. It was awesome!

As much as I love Into Eternity, seeing him in Iced Earth will be so much better!
17.03.2011 - 02:04
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Stu looks extremely power metal in that picture.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.

Hits total: 6068 | This month: 8