Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Unveil New Album Cover Art

Opeth have finally revealed today the album artwork of Pale Communion, their anticipated new release. It was once again created by Travis Smith with art direction by Mikael Åkerfeldt. The album was pushed back to August 26th and the pre-orders will be up on Roadrunner's web store and on Opeth's official merch store next week, June 3rd. As of now, you can take a look at the album cover right here. Do you like it?

Tracklist:

01. Eternal Rains Will Come
02. Cusp Of Eternity
03. Moon Above, Sun Below
04. Elysian Woes
05. Goblin
06. River
07. Voice Of Treason
08. Faith in Others

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 27.05.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 72   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 661 users
27.05.2014 - 18:56
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
My hopes for this album were crushed by Heritage
----
rekt
27.05.2014 - 18:57
Ilham
Giant robot
The lighting on that wall is so wrong. The framed illustrations are beautiful though, I would have made one of those the actual cover.
27.05.2014 - 19:05
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Ilham on 27.05.2014 at 18:57

The lighting on that wall is so wrong. The framed illustrations are beautiful though, I would have made one of those the actual cover.

+1. You can notice it's the same artist that did the Heritage cover art and in the same vein. The walls, the light and even that golden thing with the Opeth logo ruined it.
27.05.2014 - 19:06
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Pretty meh, very uninteresting.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
27.05.2014 - 19:09
mz
What shitty cover. :|
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
27.05.2014 - 19:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Needs more alien abortions.
27.05.2014 - 19:12
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Unhealer on 27.05.2014 at 19:05

+1. You can notice it's the same artist that did the Heritage cover art and in the same vein. The walls, the light and even that golden thing with the Opeth logo ruined it.

Oh, I didn't know. The Heritage cover is beautiful, he's a great illustrator, but he should refrain from doing anything else.
27.05.2014 - 19:13
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by [user id=4365] on 27.05.2014 at 19:11

Needs more alien abortions.

In the vein of those Hypocrisy covers.
27.05.2014 - 19:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 27.05.2014 at 19:13

In the vein of those Hypocrisy covers.

Definitely.

27.05.2014 - 19:33
Gothmog_Motsham
Yawn...
27.05.2014 - 19:46
Ocean Sage
Heritage looked pretty cool and nice, but this... sucks. Sorry I'll check out the album of course but fuck this is ugly.
27.05.2014 - 19:49
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by [user id=4365] on 27.05.2014 at 19:28

Definitely.

My version, baby.

27.05.2014 - 19:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 27.05.2014 at 19:49

My version, baby.

Jack Torrance vs MIkael Akerfeldt. FIGHT!

Oh sorry, Street Fighter 2 flashback there.
27.05.2014 - 19:57
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by [user id=4365] on 27.05.2014 at 19:51

Jack Torrance vs MIkael Akerfeldt. FIGHT!
Oh sorry, Street Fighter 2 flashback there.

Jack's special move : the throwing of an axe. Jack#2, same but with a typewriter
Akerfeldt's : 30 minute songs soundwaves. Akerferldt#2 : the throwing of an MS award
27.05.2014 - 20:02
Lethrokai
Eh... It doesn't work for me. Those styles just don't blend, and that background looks like some sort of default texture you can find in MS Paint.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
27.05.2014 - 20:23
mz
Heritage at least had a good cover
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
27.05.2014 - 20:26
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Really cool, I like this one better than the other art work that was shown.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
27.05.2014 - 20:54
Mattybu
Not sure what exactly it is about, probably a combination of a few things, but I don't really like this artwork at all. In addition to that if the music is in the same vein as Heritage I probably won't like the album very much.

27.05.2014 - 21:06
Dargor
While I don't really mind about cover art, I would have loved it if they went only with the 3rd painting.
27.05.2014 - 21:33
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
I hope it be better than Heritage, looking forward to seeing Mr. Steven Wilson's touch!
27.05.2014 - 21:44
Xyanade
What's the hidden message there.. the pic is too small to read it
And, well the cover design is kinda f*cked up.
27.05.2014 - 21:45
CWA
Best album cover I've seen by this band and best album cover I've seen in a long time in general. Can't wait to hear how Opeth surprises us this time. Unlike most I welcome change and don't get obsessively attached to the past.
27.05.2014 - 21:54
Lethrokai
Written by CWA on 27.05.2014 at 21:45

Best album cover I've seen by this band and best album cover I've seen in a long time in general. Can't wait to hear how Opeth surprises us this time. Unlike most I welcome change and don't get obsessively attached to the past.

"Welcoming change" simply because it's change isn't a good thing. Execution is key, and Heritage overall could easily be considered by many as poorly executed.

Also, on that final statement you made, don't try to categorise everyone who didn't enjoy something you enjoyed as "not welcoming change" and "obsessively attached to the past", only to present yourself as better than them. It makes you look like a complete arse.
----
27.05.2014 - 22:08
PocketMetal
Looks interesting, don't know what people are bitching about. xD ( I'm not a fan boy mind you )
27.05.2014 - 22:12
Wiillak
This one is not attractive
27.05.2014 - 22:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Wiillak on 27.05.2014 at 22:12

This one is not attractive

I totally read that in the voice of a Hanar.

(helps if you've played Mass Effect to get that reference)
27.05.2014 - 22:25
CWA
Written by Lethrokai on 27.05.2014 at 21:54

Written by CWA on 27.05.2014 at 21:45

"Welcoming change" simply because it's change isn't a good thing. Execution is key, and Heritage overall could easily be considered by many as poorly executed.

Also, on that final statement you made, don't try to categorise everyone who didn't enjoy something you enjoyed as "not welcoming change" and "obsessively attached to the past", only to present yourself as better than them. It makes you look like a complete arse.

I personally have shared "Heritage" with many friends of mine and the only ones who have a problem with the album are those who want them to continue being a progressive death metal band, which I would still love myself. Can you please share with me how it can be perceived as poorly executed, because not do I only welcome change but I also welcome new perspective (there I go being an arse again). The only area I felt they did poorly in on "Heritage" was that some parts of the album were to low in volume in the mixing process.

Also, my final statement wasn't intended to be all encompassing, but instead just a generalization. One thing I learned from talking to as many metal heads over the years that I have is that the majority just want to hear variations of the same thing over and over. To many of them hate it when the bands that they adore deviate from the formula that they have grow to love.
27.05.2014 - 22:47
b0sse
Opeth; most overrated band of all time.
27.05.2014 - 22:53
Shitty
27.05.2014 - 22:53
Lethrokai
Written by CWA on 27.05.2014 at 22:25

Can you please share with me how it can be perceived as poorly executed, because not do I only welcome change but I also welcome new perspective (there I go being an arse again).

Being welcoming to change isn't an ass move. It's just when you put yourself above others for that reason that you come off that way.
Anyway, to answer your question, I personally actually liked Heritage, but there were elements that I could see would bug people. For example, the melodies of riffs used in songs like TDO and Slither seem like they were actually made for a heavier sound, but toned down, which may have made them sound rather awkward for some people. In addition to that, some of these riffs seemed to drag on for a little too long and got tired. Some of the quieter songs such as Nepenthe and Marrow of the Earth could have been rather forgettable altogether to listeners. These are the first things that come to mind anyway... ;P

Written by CWA on 27.05.2014 at 22:25

Also, my final statement wasn't intended to be all encompassing, but instead just a generalization. One thing I learned from talking to as many metal heads over the years that I have is that the majority just want to hear variations of the same thing over and over. To many of them hate it when the bands that they adore deviate from the formula that they have grow to love.

Ah ok. Yeah I will admit that there are many a'metalhead who does seem to have that whole "older is better" complex, but I'd say that's a bit of an overexaggerated stereotype at points. There are still plenty of us out there who love what modern bands, and modern albums of "classic" bands have to offer.
----

Hits total: 6562 | This month: 6