Metal Storm logo
Phil Anselmo - Under Fire Following White Power Gesture

Frontman Phil Anselmo (Pantera, Down, Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals) is getting some heat following a gesture he made onstage after his appearance at Dimebash last week. He has played down the incident and denied being a racist after a video was posted online (which you can see below). Anselmo performed the Pantera classic "Walk" at the event in honour of his late bandmate Dimebag Darrell Abbott at the Lucky Strike Live in Hollywood, California, on January 22nd. Phil Anselmo was caught on tape giving a one armed Nazi-style salute and then yelled into the crowd something that sounds like "white power." He has now justified it as an "inside joke".

Phil Anselmo has made a statement about the incident under his Housecore Records YouTube account: "Ok folks, I'll own this one, but dammit, I was joking, and the 'inside joke of the night' was because we were drinking fucking white wine, hahaha... Of all fucking things. Some of y'all need to thicken up your skin. There's plenty of fuckers to pick on with a more realistic agenda. I fucking love everyone, I fucking loathe everyone, and that's that. No apologies from me. PHA '16"

This is not the first time Anselmo has made comments from the stage that have been perceived as racist, like at a show in Montreal in 1995, uttering statements including, "rap music advocates the killing of white people."

Source: metalinsider.net
Band profile: Pantera
Posted: 28.01.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 74   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 366 users
28.01.2016 - 21:00
Maco
Pvt Funderground
My eyes are bleeding after reading the youtube comments, I wasn't ready for that sandstorm.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
28.01.2016 - 21:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If person told such shit once, it cant be acused as being nazie, you need do it often or do some actions ... it means Piney Winston said NXXers also can be racist, and next we will acuse actoru who played Piney to ... its just once joke, but this dude once has dome something stupid when was drunk, blabber has it somewhere
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.01.2016 - 21:20
rpsgc
Quote:
This is not the first time Anselmo has made comments from the stage that have been perceived as racist, like at a show in Montreal in 1995, uttering statements including, "rap music advocates the killing of white people."

In what world is that a racist comment?!
28.01.2016 - 21:25
Mechaniacal
Yikes. It's guys like this and the fans that approve of shit like this that makes the metal world look bad. It really is unfortunate.
28.01.2016 - 22:13
ToxicGriever
Written by rpsgc on 28.01.2016 at 21:20

Quote:

The real one.
28.01.2016 - 23:12
MyNameJeff
Ugh... This is stupid.
28.01.2016 - 23:32
garmling
Account deleted
Oh, good! It's nice to know that there're more people who aren't politically correct! Cheers Phil!

"Political correctness is the most dangerous and most efficient weapon for denying a freedom of speech!"
28.01.2016 - 23:39
Malignar
Lol, I can only imagine what kind of dumb shit I would have done over the years, if I had been on stage as much as he has. In 1992 Joe Blow said rap music is bad...zomg racist!!! Call the outrage police. This will pass when the eternally offended find something else to be offended about (which is a weekly if not daily occurrence).
29.01.2016 - 00:07
Silly Philly.

Still what do people expect from him? He's always putting his foot in it. Looking forward to next Down EP regardless.

Written by ToxicGriever on 28.01.2016 at 22:13

Quote:

The real one.

It's not a racist comment. Plenty of rappers have sung about killing white people including Apache, Dr Dre, Wu Tang Clan, Onyx, Rapalot, Da Lench Mob and Ice Cube.

Plenty of white musicians promote racism too so it goes both ways.
29.01.2016 - 01:12
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
He should just admit he is a racist, probably respect him more over the silly excuse he gave
29.01.2016 - 03:57
reload3591
Written by Spirit of dead on 29.01.2016 at 00:07

Silly Philly.

Still what do people expect from him? He's always putting his foot in it. Looking forward to next Down EP regardless.

Written by ToxicGriever on 28.01.2016 at 22:13

Quote:

The real one.

It's not a racist comment. Plenty of rappers have sung about killing white people including Apache, Dr Dre, Wu Tang Clan, Onyx, Rapalot, Da Lench Mob and Ice Cube.

Plenty of white musicians promote racism too so it goes both ways.

It can't be racist if it's true.

Metal, on the other hand, advocates violence equally and indiscriminately. \m/
29.01.2016 - 05:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Just make a puff and smoke it off as it's going to be unnecessary controversy.
29.01.2016 - 07:20
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Good thing Mark Riddell played most of his career before social media.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
29.01.2016 - 15:46
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress

As a black man in his 20s living in America... lemme just tell ya that even though white supremacy and institutional racism are huge problems here (and have been for centuries)... there are a lot of dumb things these days that people just call racist on a whim. The word is used far too loosely, which really sucks because it discredits the agenda of legitimate groups, activists, etc. actually fighting against real racism. As ridiculous as saying that "rap promotes the killing of white people" is, calling such a statement racist is even more ridiculous, and that's just one of many examples of what I'm talking about.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
29.01.2016 - 16:29
FYA
Destroyer
I don't get that shitstorm. Really. First of all - he was DRUNK! This is a magical time when human body and mind do many things. Many bad and irrational things. As @Apothecary said - this word is used too much lastdays. I'm not defending Phil, I don't even try to. But hey - does he even do that before? Do that on live show - everyone looses minds, but noone care about - for example - Varg Vikernes saying something like that for all the time (I watched his playthroughts on yt -noticed a book "DIfferences in inteligence between human races" and NOONE is writing article about that). And still - he did not do that in public place.

So chill your asses, cuz it's definitely not a subject for a shitstorm. He made not harmful mistake, that's all.

For information of everyone - this "hail" sign made with hand is not nazi. It was used in XIII Europe by Teutonic Order way before Hitler. It's recognised to be nazi, but it's really not.
29.01.2016 - 16:37
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by FYA on 29.01.2016 at 16:29

I don't get that shitstorm. Really. First of all - he was DRUNK! This is a magical time when human body and mind do many things. Many bad and irrational things. As @Apothecary said - this word is used too much lastdays. I'm not defending Phil, I don't even try to. But hey - does he even do that before? Do that on live show - everyone looses minds, but noone care about - for example - Varg Vikernes saying something like that for all the time (I watched his playthroughts on yt -noticed a book "DIfferences in inteligence between human races" and NOONE is writing article about that). And still - he did not do that in public place.

So chill your asses, cuz it's definitely not a subject for a shitstorm. He made not harmful mistake, that's all.

For information of everyone - this "hail" sign made with hand is not nazi. It was used in XIII Europe by Teutonic Order way before Hitler. It's recognised to be nazi, but it's really not.

It's not like this is the first time.

But wow, what a surprise, the dude who front Pantera is a piece of shit, who'd have guessed?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.01.2016 - 17:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Fairly sure I do Nazi salutes and joke about white power on a regular basis. Not really enough to convince me of actual racism, and neither is that rap comment either.
29.01.2016 - 17:23
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

Quote:

In the 2016 world.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
29.01.2016 - 22:47
Dave FC
Written by Karlabos on 29.01.2016 at 17:23

Quote:

In the 2016 world.

+1

Being drunk doesn't exonerate you being a jerk. Just saying...
29.01.2016 - 23:01

Quote:

In the 2016 world.

Everything is racist or sexist or discriminatory in the 2016 world. Unless you live somewhere other than the West and then racism, sexism and discrimination are just the way of things.
29.01.2016 - 23:04
Written by Dave FC on 29.01.2016 at 22:47

+1

Most people are jerks when they're drunk, myself included.
29.01.2016 - 23:09
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Spirit of dead on 29.01.2016 at 23:01

In the 2016 world.

Everything is racist or sexist or discriminatory in the 2016 world.

Exactly =]
----
- Reimu Hakurei
30.01.2016 - 00:38
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
30.01.2016 - 01:06
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Belegûr on 30.01.2016 at 00:38

video

How nice, you found the video with spanish subtitles just for me and maybe some other users. [No homo]
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
30.01.2016 - 01:22
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Maco on 30.01.2016 at 01:06

Written by Belegûr on 30.01.2016 at 00:38

video

How nice, you found the video with spanish subtitles just for me and maybe some other users. [No homo]

De nada
30.01.2016 - 01:23
Zap
Must be a slow news week if this is the main thing that's happened.
30.01.2016 - 01:30
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Zap on 30.01.2016 at 01:23

Meanwhile I'm holding myself from submitting the fact that Cobalt announced their album release date because I thought only that without preview tracks would be too small of an announcement

not complayining tho, these kinds of threads are amusing
----
- Reimu Hakurei
30.01.2016 - 01:53
ylside
Staff
Written by Zap on 30.01.2016 at 01:23

Best youtube comment though :
"Phil Anselmo is just misunderstood, his arm was hurting due to the fact that he a was holding that heavy microphone in his hands for the whole concert and he needed to stretch his arm (those things are fucking heavy). Then, as nowadays everybody does, he was just doing some product placement for helping his drug-dealer friend out. In fact he was screaming "white powder", which he very much enjoys with white wine."
30.01.2016 - 02:09
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Spirit of dead on 29.01.2016 at 23:04

Written by Dave FC on 29.01.2016 at 22:47

+1

Most people are jerks when they're drunk, myself included.

Look up the recent actions of a guy called Mitchell Pierce.

After seeing the video with sound (had no sound the 1st time), I don't think he was just being a dickhead, rather than promoting any form of bigitory.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
30.01.2016 - 02:20
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Phil Anselmo in a few weeks:

Hits total: 6526 | This month: 20