Metal Storm logo
Iced Earth - Matt Barlow Rejoins Band

Matt Barlow has rejoined Iced Earth, according to the following statement posted on www.icedearth.com:

"Hello Dear Friends!

Once again the winds of change are upon us, and this time I can say that I am very happy about the result.

While out on the European tour I had several in depth discussions with many loyal Iced Earth fans. A common theme of these discussions was how much Matt is missed. I agreed with the fans that things were not the same and that it was a very special period in Iced Earth's history.

When I heard several months ago that Matt was going to be doing a project in music again, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his intentions were. I didn't act on this because I was so focused on the writing of the new epic, and frankly, it just didn't seem realistic.

Well, after getting out on the road and speaking with many of you directly, I decided to call Matt and see how he was doing and if he was interested in working together again. I am proud to say that he is coming back to Iced Earth and we will be getting back to work in the studio very soon.

Matt will be singing on Part 2 of the Something Wicked concept CD and we will be looking forward to getting out on tour and delivering a series of Iced Earth shows that will rival any in the history of the band. And there will be a proper DVD filmed from this period, something we've all been waiting for.

I want you all to know that it was you who made this a reality. I have missed Matt's presence onstage and in my personal life in a big way over the past few years, so I appreciate your honesty in our discussions. It did help me realize the decision to move forward with pursuing this. The fans have spoken and we have delivered!

You true fans know that I'm a straight shooter, I say what I mean and mean what I say. And though I value your opinions greatly, you must believe that this is a decision that comes completely from the heart and is not motivated by anything other than what feels the best for Iced Earth. This is the way that things have always been dealt with, for better or for worse, but always honestly and from the heart.

Tim Owens is a great and talented singer and I wish the best for him and his future on a personal and professional level.

There will be more news soon as to further developments and plans. This will push back the release of Part 2 a bit. Not because we couldn't be ready to record in time, but because of a new addition to Matt's family in early 2008!

I am very happy to announce that Iced Earth is truly BACK!

Have a great holiday season. We'll be in touch very soon with more details.

Jon Schaffer"

Source: icedearth.com
Band profile: Iced Earth
Posted: 12.12.2007 by Susan

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 99   Visited by: 42 users
12.12.2007 - 01:05
iaberis
Advice Troll
W00t!? Can't be true!!!
----
Bitch! Please
12.12.2007 - 01:14
Eternal Flames
What the hell!?! This is just too good to be true.

This is perhaps the greatest news I've heard (if it's true) in a very long time though
12.12.2007 - 01:14
ylside
Staff
HOLY SHIT !!

This is GREAT news...
12.12.2007 - 01:23
kackbratze
Lol, how cool is that? It seems so unreal, it really made me lose my breath when looking at the news headline. Not that I'm that much into Iced Earth, but it's nevertheless astonishing news! Now Matt's back where he belongs!
12.12.2007 - 01:24
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
I stopped breathing when I read the title, and hoped no one was pulling my leg....

I am speechless... This is amazing... this is truly amazing...
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
12.12.2007 - 01:28
Baz Anderson
Staff
WOW!!!!

I prefer Tim Owens!!!!! I am glad I got to see Iced Earth live with Tim singing because in my opinion the "Framing Armageddon" album is their best so far...
to have part 2 of this double album recorded with Matt singing will be VERY different and it just won't follow on from part 1 properly..
but this is HUGE news indeed - can't wait to hear part 2
12.12.2007 - 01:29
graywolf87
Account deleted
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!....I JUST SHIT MY PANTS...THIS IS INCREDIBLE ALWAYS WANTED BARLOW BACK!

"The last laugh was from Barlow, the Hunter is back!"
12.12.2007 - 01:42
Dam3k
FUCK YEAH FUCK YEAH!!! GOGOGOGO MATT GOOOO
----

12.12.2007 - 01:49
Its an quite early x-mas gift. I must have been a brave boy
12.12.2007 - 01:51
Deadsoulman
Elite
Woohoo! Ok, I feel bad for Tim Owens though, but hopefully he'll be able to find a band that really suits him.

But Barlow back in Iced Earth, it's just unexpected, and fucking great. I can go to bed happy now

What about Barlow in Pyramaze then by the way?
12.12.2007 - 01:52
wrathchild
Staff
What a relief! I personnaly felt like Tim was just turning IE into a regular power metal band... Though now - just like Collin - I wonder if Matt's participation in Pyramaze will suffer from this come back in IE...
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
12.12.2007 - 01:53
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Greatt! But what happens to Tim Owens though
12.12.2007 - 01:55
Rusher
Colin, you read my thoughts! First thing I thought when I saw this was "and what about Pyramaze?".
12.12.2007 - 01:58
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
This feels something like the metal equivalent of if the Beatles were getting back together. Such great news...
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
12.12.2007 - 02:00
Metal Maiden
Megadead
I honestly like The Ripper more...As for Barlow - he is so not suitable for Pyramaze, I hope King rejoins them...
12.12.2007 - 02:11
Urizen367
Tim Owens should stop replacing people. but on a better note: YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
12.12.2007 - 02:21
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Rusher on 12.12.2007 at 01:55

Colin, you read my thoughts! First thing I thought when I saw this was "and what about Pyramaze?".

Exactly the same here. But before that? Eh, what? So he's just kicking Tim out? What if Kiske rejoined Helloween and they kicked out Andi Deris or something like that?
I think it was really rude of John, although I don't know what kind of "deal" he had with Tim, maybe it was something like "okay, you get to join the band but if Matt wants to come back anytime you're out", and that was okay with both of them.
But well... I hope the Ripper joins a good band now. Like, ehm... Therion
12.12.2007 - 02:35
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
The first thing that popped up in my head upon reading the headline was: "Why the heck now?" I mean Iced Earth are in the middle of a trilogy, a trilogy which had The Ripper in mind from the very start. Jon can't just give The Ripper's part to Matt, it would do neither the album nor Matt any justice. IMHO they should have recorded the entire Something Wicked trilogy with The Ripper, release both remaining parts in the course of the next year, THEN kick Owens out and go with Matt on tour. Or something like that. I just don't think Matt should finish what The Ripper has started. Something Wicked belongs to Ripper, they shouldn't have ended the Owens era before this trilogy is finished.

Great news nonetheless!
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
12.12.2007 - 03:34
Opium
Account deleted
Seems I wasn't the only one wondering about Pyramaze, too.

He could manage both, I suppose, although he'd be shafting Pyramaze quite often, I'd imagine.
12.12.2007 - 03:45
timmoe
I'm kinda shocked. Of course it will be fun to see Barlow perform with Iced Earth again. But I think "Ripper" did a great job. I'm indecisive, to say the least.
12.12.2007 - 04:04
Magatouve
Account deleted
That's great.... Iced Earth was fantastic with Tim.. but certainly perfect with Mathew
12.12.2007 - 04:25
I never thought I'd see the day. I'm really happy but at the same time I've grown so attached to the idea of Matt being the singer of Pyramaze. I hope he continues with it and gives it his all, because I think they could really do something special together. Funny how John Schaffer always seems to get his way :/
12.12.2007 - 04:28
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Don't know if I agree with that Promonex... Barlow started Something Wicked, Owens just started the trilogy. Good news though, can't wait to see what they put together!
12.12.2007 - 04:28
Wait a minute... so Barlow wanted out of the metal scene to support his family and kick the rock-star lifestyle ... and now he's in TWO bands?? :/ ironyyyyyyy
12.12.2007 - 04:45
Metalbound7
i just cant believe it!! i been waiting for this so long.... Matt is my favorite singer ever!, he give the songs the passion, the feeling, the atmosphere, like anyother can do. and now he is back!!
12.12.2007 - 04:52
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Many of you say : "Barlow",and other seay: "Owens". I stay with the direction of the band, and with this i think is not the right desicion, but my heart think diferent. Hai Iced Earth.
12.12.2007 - 05:16
Richard
Elite
This is bizarre, because in the latest issue of Terrorizer magazine (literally the Xmas Issue 2007!!), there's an interview with Jon Schaffer where he specifically states:

"I'm tired of the whole Owens-Barlow debate, it's bullshit. Matt's not coming back. Tim has done a fantastic job on the last two albums and he's here to stay".
----
12.12.2007 - 05:22
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Well, certainly was not expecting that. I guess its good news thought i never really had too much of a problem with Owens. Just seem like Owens got the boot up the arse and yeh... ah well, its the typical Jon Schaffer way of doing things, still works for the band haha.

I hope Part 2 of the new albums improves over Part 1, i was a tad disappointed, to much filler, only one or two really good songs, though still enjoyed it.

Seems odd though, as if it were a joke haha.
12.12.2007 - 06:55
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
Written by Richard on 12.12.2007 at 05:16

"I'm tired of the whole Owens-Barlow debate, it's bullshit. Matt's not coming back. Tim has done a fantastic job on the last two albums and he's here to stay".

Do you know when the interview was actually conducted?

The news about Barlow's return is also on their official myspace page blog, so I really doubt it is a hoax or anything in that line.
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
12.12.2007 - 07:56
Geist
At first I too thought it was a hoax, but it IS posted on their site so... We'll see what happens. It's still sinking in, & I have yet to pass the state of shock im in. Though it sounds too good to be true, if infact it is... then damn... this is the best Christmas present ever.

Hits total: 8888 | This month: 6