Metal Storm logo
Metal just a phase?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 02.11.2006 - 05:18
Some people just don't understand. You know, they can tell me about my "punk ass bitch gothic t shirts", they can tell me everything I listen to sounds the same, they can say just about anything in the book and I'll gladly set them straight if they allow me the time to explain to them. But nothing pisses me off more than when people tell me that it's just a phase or that I listen to metal music because I'm angry. I live in a part of the city where I'm the only metal head I really know so maybe this is new to you guys but I get this erroneous comment all the time. So just to get the conversation stirring, which people just go through a metal phase and which people (like myself) plan on devoting their whole lives to metal?
03.01.2013 - 03:41
D
Written by [user id=137482] on 02.01.2013 at 17:50

... if you listen other kinds of popular music next to metal you will see that metal is the genre with the most solid quality... metal music is eternal.

Solid quality...i like that well said!
03.01.2013 - 09:30
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
For some metal is just a phase i know a couple of friends who were avid metalheads however they phased out of it recently !! i think people who are really into music in general and consider it to be part of their lives will tend to stick to metal once they get into to it ! cause lets be honest once u reached the top its hard to settle for anything less IMO
03.01.2013 - 18:33
thundercunt
Account deleted
Word mojo
03.01.2013 - 19:59
Chriwalker
Account deleted
For some I guess. Me I need breaks from time to time, but I never grow tired. Metal is the only music that really sat roots in my soul and I don't think it ever will be just a phase for me. I do believe that pop and rap is just a phase though, or at least I hope so. Make a new 80's with real music on the radio I say ^^
03.01.2013 - 20:36
Patrick.
Written by [user id=136693] on 03.01.2013 at 19:59

For some I guess. Me I need breaks from time to time, but I never grow tired. Metal is the only music that really sat roots in my soul and I don't think it ever will be just a phase for me. I do believe that pop and rap is just a phase though, or at least I hope so. Make a new 80's with real music on the radio I say ^^

Agreed man. It seems the 80's in general had way more consistency, and also unity in some way. The good thing about today though, even if you have to leave a messy trail of crap behind you, is the variety and evolution of genres.
03.01.2013 - 20:50
Patrick.
If we love Metal (or any form of music) with a burning passion, then IMO "no", I don't think it's a phase at all. If I have a kick on film-score music some months in a row or a year maybe, then I'd call that a phase. But having a "kick" on Metal for year after year after year becomes an integral part of who you are. It follows you on your journey in life through all the ups and downs going along with it. if you love it and has done so for the better part of the last decade(s) or perhaps even your whole life, then it's not a phase IMO. I guess in the end it's really a matter of time as well, how long you've been into it and how you'll come to feel about it eventually down the road.
04.01.2013 - 02:06
D
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2013 at 13:11

Written by D on 02.01.2013 at 04:00

No old timer fans with dubstep/emo/house stuff...because those are phases!

nope the reason is that music isn't old yet so the fans are also a lot younger.

Twenty years ago you would almost never see a 40+ person at a metal gig whereas today you do.

Music, if it is good, can still touch people of all ages...

If there was any substance to those crap genres, people of all ages could get hooked?

Classical music is enjoyed by people of all ages...It doesnt matter how old a music is...
04.01.2013 - 02:51
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by D on 04.01.2013 at 02:06

Music, if it is good, can still touch people of all ages...

If there was any substance to those crap genres, people of all ages could get hooked?

Classical music is enjoyed by people of all ages...It doesnt matter how old a music is...

06.01.2013 - 01:34
D
Haha awesome!!

Music is truely universal...
07.01.2013 - 15:05
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Well how long is a phase? Your life is just 1 phase basically.
26.01.2013 - 01:56
squidrick420
Written by Powerslavex on 03.01.2013 at 09:30

For some metal is just a phase i know a couple of friends who were avid metalheads however they phased out of it recently !! i think people who are really into music in general and consider it to be part of their lives will tend to stick to metal once they get into to it ! cause lets be honest once u reached the top its hard to settle for anything less IMO

The metal phase is just a way to ween out those trying to listen to it for reasons beyond musical enjoyment. Those who make it past the hazing and all the idiots that think your some kind of freak are the ones worthy of being crowned a metal head.
26.01.2013 - 11:17
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Written by squidrick420 on 26.01.2013 at 01:56

Written by Powerslavex on 03.01.2013 at 09:30

The metal phase is just a way to ween out those trying to listen to it for reasons beyond musical enjoyment. Those who make it past the hazing and all the idiots that think your some kind of freak are the ones worthy of being crowned a metal head.

haha i guess so
26.01.2013 - 14:31
Monolithic
♠♠♠
For me, Metal is just another phase I'm obsessed with. It becomes an obsession and real once I realize it's worth pursuing. Everything starts with a phase in my life and ends in the form of life itself.
07.02.2013 - 00:37
Capt. Fluntas
For some, metal is indeed just a phase. They may use the music as a way out of their various problems in life, especially during puberty. Thinking about myself, I don't think it's just a phase, because I've been listening to metal for 6 years and do not plan on stopping in the near future. I find it way too diverse and captivating a genre of music to let go of. In fact, it goes beyond just music for me. It's about meeting the people who have the same taste and just being part of this phenomenon that is Metal
----
Life is one big meme.
06.03.2013 - 19:25
Angry Chair
Maybe a phase for some. Some metal bands were phase's for me.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
06.03.2013 - 19:45
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
If you love the music with all your passion and might, it doesn't have to be "just a phase", it can stick with you for the rest of your life. If you are perhaps an average, passer-by, than perhaps metal would be just a phase that you wanted to experiment with to see if you like it or not. If you have been raised upon the very foundations of metal music and spend a great deal of your time listening to it, collecting albums from your favorite bands, covering your favorite songs, seeing live shows, and so on, I cannot imagine how it can be anything more than "just a phase", but rather a defining factor that makes you who you are and what it means to live "life".
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
09.03.2013 - 23:55
skrog1
There's no way metal's "just a phase." If it were, Metalblade, Relapse, etc wouldn't be signing new bands. Now, if you mean someone's saying it's just a phase of your life, as in "you'll grow out of listening to it," no one can answer that but yourself. It certainly isn't the case for me. It's what I do.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
16.07.2016 - 21:25
vgmaster9
I think the only way it can be considered a "phase" is when there's a certain time you listen to nothing but metal, but later on you decide to venture into other genres and have more interest in some of those other than metal (though you can still listen to meal from time to time).
27.07.2016 - 17:05
Korah
Metal is a phase for many people. I knew many guys or girls who used to listen to Soulfly, Manson, Korn, Gojira and then came to us rap, rnb, electronic and others, to never comme back. When you talk with them a few years later, they are still open to metal but they don't have that iniatiative that make them "metalheads". They don't listen metal every week (month?), they just don't care : a phase they lived. When they ear an old metal song, they say "hey, I love that song", but no more. After 8 years, I can say this is not a phase for me. This is my first and last passion. I almost live for that, every day, I got metal tatoos, this is my first conversation with my best friends (metalheads too ^^). I don't wear metal clothes because I don't like that, only t-shirt, many t-shirt, but without pretention I'm well-dressed, that's how I feel the things
----
Don't cry for my English
28.07.2016 - 09:54
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Phase just a metal?
----
The Fangirl.
28.07.2016 - 13:59
Overrwatcher
It's way, way too early for me to tell if it's "just a phase" (I'm 17 and only been listening to metal for ~2 years) but I strongly doubt it. Metalcore/deathcore will likely be a phase for me, but other metal will stay. Even if I grow out of it, I will keep playing Arch Enemy, The Agonist, In Flames, Trivium, Thy Art Is Murder, and Bring Me The Horizon albums. Regardless of their (mostly spotty) reputation in the community, they were massive influences during the strangest and most unforgettable years of my life, and now that I'm reaching the end of those years, I'm already getting nostalgia listening to Come Clarity or War Eternal, as weird as it may sound to everyone here who probably feel as if War Eternal came out practically yesterday.

The genre isn't anywhere near perfect. I have a ton of problems with metal, and rant about it a lot with my music majoring classical elitist friend, but metal is the only genre with just enough weight for me, just enough atmosphere, and just enough variety. Other genres may have one of these, but they don't have all three like metal does. Other genres often feel so weak and boring to me, and I can't see that changing, as I always have felt this way. I just couldn't get into metal since all I knew really were the 80's that I didn't like. I still don't like the 80's. If I knew about Insomnium or Arch Enemy when I first started exploring my own music tastes, hell even Rhapsody, I would have been a metalhead for years.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.

28.07.2016 - 21:01
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Overrwatcher on 28.07.2016 at 13:59

The genre isn't anywhere near perfect. I have a ton of problems with metal, and rant about it a lot with my music majoring classical elitist friend, but metal is the only genre with just enough weight for me, just enough atmosphere, and just enough variety. Other genres may have one of these, but they don't have all three like metal does. Other genres often feel so weak and boring to me, and I can't see that changing, as I always have felt this way. I just couldn't get into metal since all I knew really were the 80's that I didn't like. I still don't like the 80's. If I knew about Insomnium or Arch Enemy when I first started exploring my own music tastes, hell even Rhapsody, I would have been a metalhead for years.

Don't worry you have problems with rant and elitist? Why u didn't ignore them. Come on explore metal slowly.

And If someone said to you that metal is just phase. Tell them to stfu.

29.07.2016 - 13:55
Cy Nide
Well, if it's a phase, it's a phase I haven't outgrown in 40 years....
01.08.2016 - 18:13
Overrwatcher
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 28.07.2016 at 21:01

Don't worry you have problems with rant and elitist? Why u didn't ignore them. Come on explore metal slowly.

And If someone said to you that metal is just phase. Tell them to stfu.

\m/

My problems with metal are separate from the community and deal more with my personal dislikes of solos and lack of appreciation for technical skill or the really far-out-there experiments. That's why most of my tastes end up being "generic" stuff.

The community really isn't too bad. In-person, metalheads are generally cool enough people, and I've had overall positive experiences with the few concerts I've been to. The over-masculinity really does show sometimes, and I have been looked down upon for being such a small, scrawny chick surrounded by big guys before. I don't know, it probably has to do with insecurities more than anything. But outside of that, people are really nice, always willing to spare a dollar, lend a hand, or give directions. I can strike up conversations with people behind me without any fear. On the internet, most of the metal communities are pretty awful (/r/metal, metalsucks, you name it) so I stick with the much cooler places, like here and genre-specific subreddits. As long as I stay in places like here, it's pretty nice. Nearly everyone here is really really cool, even if I feel as if I'm likely stepping on a few toes with them showing the courtesy to hold back.
----

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.

07.08.2016 - 10:09
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

I just couldn't get into metal since all I knew really were the 80's that I didn't like. I still don't like the 80's.

Even Mercyful Fate? (Or, outside of metal, Billy Idol?)
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
07.08.2016 - 10:55
no one
Account deleted
Written by M C Vice on 07.08.2016 at 10:09

I just couldn't get into metal since all I knew really were the 80's that I didn't like. I still don't like the 80's.

oh not billy idol!!
08.08.2016 - 04:22
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by [user id=136611] on 07.08.2016 at 10:55

oh not billy idol!!

Oh yes Billy Idol.
----
08.08.2016 - 04:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 08.08.2016 at 04:22

oh not billy idol!!

Oh yes Billy Idol.

Oh no certainly not Billy Idol.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.08.2016 - 13:50
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.08.2016 at 04:58

Written by M C Vice on 08.08.2016 at 04:22

oh not billy idol!!

Oh yes Billy Idol.

Oh no certainly not Billy Idol.

Aww, no one wants to shout more more more.
----
08.08.2016 - 17:21
Overrwatcher

Even Mercyful Fate. I can see the appeal of King Diamond's music, but in general I just don't like the 80's due to the production, guitar tone, vocal styles, pretty much everything. The 80's were a massive anomaly in general, let alone metal. It's not bad. I can see why Master of Puppets, Powerslave, Melissa, or other distinctly 80's albums are so acclaimed, and I don't disagree, it's just the music is not for me.

Billy Idol is a double negative that does not make a positive: 80's, and non-metal. Of course I have an irrational hatred for his music because of how ridiculously overplayed "White Wedding" is here, but I find his music incredibly dull in every single way. Funnily enough, the only 80's artist I actually enjoy is Madonna, but that's probably because I grew up with her music.
----