Metal Storm logo
Job For A Cowboy

Original post

Posted by SteTech, 21.12.2007 - 20:53
Job For A Cowboy built up quite a large fanbase through MySpace alone, must be doing something right then, right? Nah not really.

I heard quite a lot about this band, and downloaded their recent album Genesis to see what the fuss was about. It turned out to be one of the most boring death metal albums I've ever listened to, it just doesn't go anywhere! I guess the fanbase consisting of hardcore-dancing shit-haired scene kids says a lot as well! Saw the band with Black Dahlia Murder last week, and their performance did no justice for me whatsoever (BDM were ace though).

So what's the big deal? Any fans here? What's your view on their music? Their deathcore stuff sounded pretty shit as well, yawn!
04.02.2008 - 00:10
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=13894] on 03.02.2008 at 14:07

I'm currently listening some tracks from the Genesis album.. Not that bad, but not that special either. They remind me abit from Amoral, but well, Amoral is ten times better. Check them out here.

lol, thankyou for that link. Amoral seriously does kick hella ass. I found out about them through a certain israeli friend of mine. I don't know how someone could compare JFAC to them.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
04.02.2008 - 06:34
Stigma
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 04.02.2008 at 00:10

Written by [user id=13894] on 03.02.2008 at 14:07

I'm currently listening some tracks from the Genesis album.. Not that bad, but not that special either. They remind me abit from Amoral, but well, Amoral is ten times better. Check them out here.

lol, thankyou for that link. Amoral seriously does kick hella ass. I found out about them through a certain israeli friend of mine. I don't know how someone could compare JFAC to them.

Well they were the first band to pup on my mind while listening to Job
07.02.2008 - 15:02
Evisceration1
Account deleted
Its all in opinion steve. Just as you don't like JFAC (which i do) i don't like Cattle decapitation which is in your collection.
10.02.2008 - 21:56
SteTech
Written by [user id=29239] on 07.02.2008 at 15:02

Its all in opinion steve. Just as you don't like JFAC (which i do) i don't like Cattle decapitation which is in your collection.

It's not the music that's bothering but the fact they've become very popular playing something that lacks originality. Hmm, come to think of it so have Trivium and, recently, Bullet For My Valentine
10.02.2008 - 23:50
mankvill
I think Cattle Decap. and JFAC are completely different. Cattle Decap. is goregrind, JFAC is deathcore.
15.02.2008 - 20:16
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i'm not sure about JFAC. i mean i've heard a few songs off Genesis and they are alright but i don't think it's right that people are bothered by the fact they are popular through Myspace. i mean, the people who like them are probably just scene kids who wanna seem hardocre rather than true death metal fans who probably hate them

btw, whats with the whole deathcore thing? its just another sub genre or a sub genre . . . its too confusing for me!

so generally, they are OK but i don't think they are anything special.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
15.02.2008 - 22:43
Stigma
Account deleted
I guess I'm gonna check them out in Tuska Open Air, except if they play the same time as some of the many great bands. Hell, I would even go watch Killswitch Engage before Job
07.05.2008 - 13:47
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I'm a fan of JFAC and i think Genesis is just allright. I prefer Doom it may be a bit, "Corey" but its good. Just listen to Suspended by the Throat of of Doom because Entombment of a Machine aint the hot shit people make it out to be.
----
Coldgrits
09.05.2008 - 02:22
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by ß on 09.05.2008 at 01:18

...the Breeing pissed me off.

That's actually what I found fun about their EP and found their debut lacking.
----
The force will be with you, always.
11.05.2008 - 23:11
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
This band is overrated, i can't understand how so many people like them, i would almost come to think that their fans aren't very knowledgeble of the death metal scene. Seriously, there are so many kick ass dm bands out there, and JFAC is just running short by all means.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
12.05.2008 - 02:34
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Oh my god this band makes me angry i mean deathcore?! gawd it even sounds shit! its overated bull shit which doesnt have the bollocks to be true death metal
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
14.05.2008 - 02:16
Gordon Freeman
Written by Visioneerie on 11.05.2008 at 23:11

This band is overrated, i can't understand how so many people like them, i would almost come to think that their fans aren't very knowledgeble of the death metal scene. Seriously, there are so many kick ass dm bands out there, and JFAC is just running short by all means.

It's all about exposure, and Job For a Cowboy have been getting a LOT of that lately...

Yes, it is true that most of their fans don't really know about good death metal. But good death metal really doesn't get that kind of exposure...other than maybe Cannibal Corpse, but most casual listeners find CC a little to extreme.

As for my opinion about the band...?

Their debut was alright, they've gone staight down hill from there. I'm stuck hearing about them a lot however because I live in the town they started out in.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
16.05.2008 - 07:03
mortjoyeux
I can't stand this band at all, like most of you mentioned above the deathcore=lame.
20.05.2008 - 22:25
immaculate
Account deleted
When i heard JFACs EP i was amazed by what i heard. I thought they delivered the fresh breath that deathcore really needed. With the 4 second scream in entombment of a machine to the intricate and creative riffs in knee deep. Whatever your view on the deathcore scene DOOM was exhilirating and thats what drew everyone in for the epic fail that was GENESIS.

Probably one of the worst letdowns ive ever expirienced in the last few years. Thats not what pisses me off most though its the fact that the abomoniation let loose on the public has gathered so much good media attention despite its obvious lack of creativity.
21.05.2008 - 12:57
orc
Eh, I mostly listen to death metal and brutal death metal, but now and then I listen to other styles like doom, goth, black, deathcore or other alternative stuff. Though for styles I don't listen to that much I have found a few favourite bands and usually stick to them. For example there might be other similar bands to Katatonia or Swallow the Sun or Job For A Cowboy etc. I just don't care about them that much.

So in deathcore or whatever I've found Job For A Cowboy and I quite like them - it's catchy, varied with breakdowns, they have powerful vocals and the sound is clear. I like the demo as much as the new album. And to their credit, they pretty much started the genre.

As for them being "too" popular I think you could compare it to becoming a millionnaire. You could've worked hard to earn it or just get a big heritage, in the end it's pretty much the same as long as you can keep and increase your money. It's the same for the bands, to get to the top some have worked hard over long years, others have got lucky over night. But to stay at the top you must constantly work hard anyway. So they must be doing something right or there has to be something special about JFaC if they're still here (even if it's the hordes of scene-kids liking them, which I doubt it is).

So the whining about someone being overrated or too popular is just close-minded. It's always pretty much about the different tastes people have, for example I can't understand how people can listen to power metal which is awfully boring and gay, and these high vocals make my ears bleed. But still soo many metalheads like and listen to it and it hasn't disappeared anywhere.

Go, Job For A Cowboy!
----
http://www.nihilistikrypt.net
http://www.myspace.com/nihilistikrypt
21.05.2008 - 21:47
immaculate
Account deleted
I agree with most of your statement apart from when you stated that they "practically started the genre" which couldnt be more wrong they popularized the genre but they did not start it. Like i said JFAC was good until their cd and now they have lost all origniality.
22.05.2008 - 00:25
Ferret
Account deleted
Personally, I love them. I liked them better when they were deathcore, because Genesis was overall kind of monotonous. But, I still enjoy the album none the less, just not as much as their EP or demo.
22.05.2008 - 22:03
immaculate
Account deleted
i agree just im just have stronger feelings about it i thought genesis was monotonous and just overall lame.
jfac really let down a lot of fans on that one, i still like the band and eagerly await there next release beacause it might take some time to get that doom feel back.
23.05.2008 - 13:43
TheBigRossowski
Job for a Cowboy, I can only say what has been said before me. OVERRATED! Teenagers are turning in their Disturbed CDs for Job For a Cowboy shirts, they just like the "pig squeels" or whatever they are called. Doom is okay, but I definitely would not purchase a JFAC CD to support the band.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
23.05.2008 - 22:11
immaculate
Account deleted
They are overrated now that they sound just like every other death metal band out there.
26.05.2008 - 03:51
ForcedIsolation
Account deleted
I can't stand deathcore in general. The thing that really pisses me off is when people call them grindcore. And I thought the American youth around me couldn't get more retarted.
28.05.2008 - 21:52
immaculate
Account deleted
Exactly the other day at a show i heard some kid say that and i had to give him a lecturing on the differance between the grind and death.
08.08.2008 - 17:09
freddie420666
Written by SteTech on 10.02.2008 at 21:56

Written by [user id=29239] on 07.02.2008 at 15:02

It's not the music that's bothering but the fact they've become very popular playing something that lacks originality. Hmm, come to think of it so have Trivium and, recently, Bullet For My Valentine

honestly.
look at my bands and JFAC is in the top 5 i believe. they are one of my favorite bands. i used to listen to pretty much nothing but thrash and then a friend sent me entombment of a machine to me through AIM. when i heard it i went fucking crazy. i understand your argument of them lacking originality. and trivium is really trying to be metallica it seems. but bullet for my valentine. these guys inspire me alot. i honestly ont see how they lack originality. i mean the instrumental parts of the music are genius and quite hard to play in my opinion. the vocals could use some work i guess but they are not that bad. so i just was wondering why you think they lack originality??
23.02.2009 - 03:43
ringofedwin
Account deleted
This band will become better with every album they put out.
That's what I think.
06.03.2009 - 06:54
-Morbid-
I liked the "Doom" EP a lot, but it was also one of the first deathcore albums I had listened to, so I guess it seemed sorta "fresh" or something at the time. I thought "Genesis" was disappointing and a bit boring.

I'm interested to see where they go though, they have shown us they have some potential, now we just have to see if they can put it together into something good.

I think a lot of the hatred for the band comes from the fact that they are being sold in Hot Topic and have a scene kid following, sort of pushing the genre towards mainstream recognition. If that wasn't the case they would most likely be ignored or labeled as "average" by most metalheads.
06.03.2009 - 13:35
ForeverDarkWoods
Not for me. Not for me at all. I hate deathcore. It's just one of the lamest styles around. I haven't found a single good band that plays the style and I have even tried hard to find something to redeem the style of it's shittyness. There just doesn't seem to be any good shit there whatsoever. It's like some ultra gay shit that's just made to suck balls and appeal to little faggot scene kids. Bree breeing is also probably the stupidest vocal style I've ever heard in my life.

No thank you, I say.

The Genesis album, while not that much deathcore anymore and more modern death metal, still isn't saved from being generic, tasteless, boring, shitty and dripping with AIDS.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
07.03.2009 - 23:28
The Butt
Account deleted
I love the Doom EP... and tbh, I find the whole "deathcore is lame lolololol" mentality to be retarded as hell.

Not gonna bother checking out Genesis though, as I've heard it's not the greatest.
17.05.2009 - 20:49
Frankenchrist
I'm not a deathcore fan at all, but i really like these guys. The vocalist is fuckin' baaaaaallin', and i dig their sound.

Looking forward to the new album.
----
Blat Blat
18.05.2009 - 19:47
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Written by mankvill on 10.02.2008 at 23:50

I think Cattle Decap. and JFAC are completely different. Cattle Decap. is goregrind, JFAC is deathcore.

lol way different.

03.06.2009 - 22:55
-Morbid-
They have a new track up on their myspace, "Unfurling a Darkened Gospel."

Much better than I expected.