Metal Storm logo
Alestorm

Original post

Posted by Ellrohir, 05.02.2008 - 20:31
Folk Power metal from Scottland...on 25th of January they have released their debut album Captain Morgan's Revenge...they are quite similar to bands like Turisas or Ensiferum (only instead of Viking warriors they are singing about Caribbean pirates if i am not wrong )

http://www.myspace.com/alestorm (check out Captain Morgan's Revenge )
20.02.2008 - 08:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 20.02.2008 at 08:36

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.02.2008 at 08:31

Written by Doc G. on 20.02.2008 at 07:54

Written by Warman on 18.02.2008 at 18:16

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.02.2008 at 15:30

And IMOP the tag Pirate Metal is the stupidest tag ever. As if people have any idea what sort of music pirates made.

Hahaha I agree man, it's more stupid than "Battle Metal".

I think its just mostly a way to catch peoples eye. I mean, if it is just labeled as folk metal then people might just pass over it, but with this new tag it kinda pulls people in.....so more of just advertisement then actual classification of music.

And since Alestorm's music wouldn't be able to pull in on its own merit they surely do need a stupid tag such as Pirate Metal.

Hahaha, good come back. It is silly music. And they are a novelty band, but I kind of listen to them for the same reason someone buys cotton candy, you know its a waste of money, and you know after eating it you'll feel sick, yet you can't help but eating more just because its so sugary.....I hope that makes as much sense to everyone else as it did to me....

Cheap thrill type thing I guess...

Yes, that does make sense.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2008 - 16:02
Akke920
I haven't heard the album.. but i've heard 1 song.. can't remember which one though... but i've got to say, the vocals suck! I think iäll stick to running wild instead.. this is just a bad copy.. and the album is OVERRATED!!
28.02.2008 - 20:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
which song have you heard

and how can you judge the album by just one song
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.03.2008 - 10:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Sounding like Running Wild? Maybe in the imagery and lyrical content, but beyond that I don't see too many similarities, Running Wild has more grandiose catchy guitar leads, where as Alestorms guitars generally play second fiddle to the keyboards, as with most folk metal bands (besides the solos), Running Wild is just straight up heavy metal. So as far as being a bad copy I definitely would not go that far.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.03.2008 - 16:00
VPeter
actually I see them a lot like Running Wild but with a mix of Children of bodom, I cannot see why people are comparing them to Turisas...
01.03.2008 - 16:19
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i hear it so
----

02.03.2008 - 01:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by VPeter on 01.03.2008 at 16:00

actually I see them a lot like Running Wild but with a mix of Children of bodom, I cannot see why people are comparing them to Turisas...

The epic keyboards I guess.
----
- George Carlin
02.03.2008 - 16:26
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i vice versa cant understand, what they have in common with Running Wild (except lyrics theme)
----

04.03.2008 - 01:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 02.03.2008 at 16:26

i vice versa cant understand, what they have in common with Running Wild (except lyrics theme)

Theres a few epic sound guitar leads here and there that I guess people could compare, but it that sense you could compare Catamenia to Running Wild....or 30% of metal bands....
----
- George Carlin
09.03.2008 - 02:10
HPereira
Well they have similarities with the good old Running Wild... They have a raw sound... their sound aint tecnhically, advanced or innovative... i tend to like the pirate theme for the songs (RW has been a milestone in my process of aging) ... but i have to say i like it. I do like the album.The music is catchy and i dont find the album tiring as some more technically or more heavier or more whatever.

Simple melodies... simple riffs.... crap vocals... its all good hahahah

I really dont think they sound like Turisas tbh, they do have a keyboard... but quite different.
I also disagree that it is similar to ensiferum... they sound entirely different.... and i am also an ensiferum fan.

Cheers everyone.
HAP
09.03.2008 - 04:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@HPereira
It doesn't sound like you actually listened to the album, its not raw at all, and about technicality, theres plenty of moments where they show technical skill that does have a sound comparable to Ensiferum, 3:10 in the title track or around 2:30 in 'Terror on The High Seas' are just 2 examples.
----
- George Carlin
09.03.2008 - 17:49
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I don't hear the raw sound and I don't think they lack technical moments either
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
23.03.2008 - 01:40
WorpeX
Made of Metal
You guys aren't really giving this band a chance at all. I'll be honest, I didn't like the vocals on the first listen at all either. I didn't really think he was very "pirtaty" and his voice sounded rather strange. But, by the third listen, I was really into the band, and I love it now. ^^

I had a few of my friends say the same thing as well, so Im not making this up. Its hard to like the singer on the first listen when your not used to that kind of voice.
24.03.2008 - 23:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by WorpeX on 23.03.2008 at 01:40

You guys aren't really giving this band a chance at all. I'll be honest, I didn't like the vocals on the first listen at all either. I didn't really think he was very "pirtaty" and his voice sounded rather strange. But, by the third listen, I was really into the band, and I love it now. ^^

I had a few of my friends say the same thing as well, so Im not making this up. Its hard to like the singer on the first listen when your not used to that kind of voice.

The problem isn't with the vocals. The problem is that there a cheesy novelty band. I gotta admit I dont mind listening to them for a few songs, but then it just feels like an insult to my intelligence in a way, like I'm listening to music made for 6 year olds.
----
- George Carlin
25.03.2008 - 15:32
VPeter
if the predjuiced pirates were real they would have no doubt let Alestorm walk the plak and cut the troath of singer for his horrible Schotish power cheese vocals.

not to mention captain Henry Morgan is probally turning in his grave of the awefullness that is Captain Morgan's revenge.
26.03.2008 - 22:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
twittle-twattle...
----

14.04.2008 - 12:23
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by Akke920 on 28.02.2008 at 16:02

I haven't heard the album.. but i've heard 1 song.. can't remember which one though... but i've got to say, the vocals suck! I think iäll stick to running wild instead.. this is just a bad copy.. and the album is OVERRATED!!

You can't simply say that an album is overrated just hearing one song, it's very logical. Give the album a listen or two before you say your opinion about the whole album.

I rather enjoy it actually, have only heard three songs right now (the album plays now when I write this). I'm happy when I listen to it, I feel like doing a pirate dance and go "Yarr" xD True pirate spirit! And the lyrical theme about ale, women, piracy and all that is just brilliant! I know that they're not the first to do this, but the only other band I've heard with this theme is Running Wild, and I don't really like RW. Go Alestorm, take the world with your pirate hymns! ^^
14.04.2008 - 13:56
owl
There's an album I won't listen to more often that I'd watch "Pirates of the Caribbean". There's only so much room/patience for peg legs and rum.

But I won't mind listening to it when I'm only looking for something light and merry to go with a couple of beers. There has to be a soundtrack for those moments as well, and Alestorm might just fit in there.:)
----
14.04.2008 - 16:24
Akke920
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 14.04.2008 at 12:23

Written by Akke920 on 28.02.2008 at 16:02

You can't simply say that an album is overrated just hearing one song, it's very logical. Give the album a listen or two before you say your opinion about the whole album.

I rather enjoy it actually, have only heard three songs right now (the album plays now when I write this). I'm happy when I listen to it, I feel like doing a pirate dance and go "Yarr" xD True pirate spirit! And the lyrical theme about ale, women, piracy and all that is just brilliant! I know that they're not the first to do this, but the only other band I've heard with this theme is Running Wild, and I don't really like RW. Go Alestorm, take the world with your pirate hymns! ^^

Yeah.. you're right.. but you can actually say taht an album is overrated by just looking at what others say about the album and so on.. Let's take an example Wintersun's one and only album taht's a perfect example! But nvm.. i think i've gotta hear it first. But hey i won't buy it! xD
15.04.2008 - 07:14
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
I Want their disc! I had a pre-release version with that voice in the middle of the songs "you'rre listening to..." and it sucked because it took me out of the disc! But now i want to hear it without that!
19.04.2008 - 01:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=26446] on 16.04.2008 at 06:07

Written by owl on 14.04.2008 at 13:56

There's an album I won't listen to more often that I'd watch "Pirates of the Caribbean". There's only so much room/patience for peg legs and rum.

I knew I would be one of the only people who really appreciates Captain Morgan's Revenge and loves every bit of it which I do. (I seem to love all the bands Marcel hates most ) I also really really like the vocals and the keys a lot. And I will seriously scream if I see another review where the singer's voice is compared to Warlord Nygard like in Metal Hammer, saying he just basically tries to be Warlord bollocks he does, he sounds nothing like Warlord Nygard whatsoever.

I have to say I really like every track on this album and am looking forward to see where they go from here...?

Not that Im a big fan of Alestorm or anything, but your right, saying he sounds like Warlord is just...ridiculous. Besides, Warlord is a far more talented vocalist.
----
- George Carlin
20.04.2008 - 01:58
Caesium137
Account deleted
In my opinion, they're brilliant. I think that they are better off with the current vocals; how piraty does a perfect voice sound, eh? Not by a long shot I'd say. Although I am a little disappointed by the fact, that they sound even better on the old EP's, before they've changed their name. But they're nevertheless brilliant.
20.05.2008 - 09:24
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Alestorm has the potential to be great. their running wild-ish style is more metal and more refreshing in terms of its comparative originality.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
29.05.2008 - 16:20
spunky
Account deleted
i may be horrendously biased, but i think they're great! it's the same as most power metal in that you can't take it too seriously. it's fun, silly drinking music, end of!
13.06.2008 - 23:57
Remus
^ why would you say you're biased??

Anyway, i got "Over the Seas" and except for the fake-sounding drums the band is good.
I feel like their singer could be more involved but the guitars are pretty good and the keys are done well as well.

I will get more stuff from them though!

EDIT:
@ spunky : oh your brother is in Alestorm, ok ok i see...
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
15.06.2008 - 00:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 24.03.2008 at 23:25

but then it just feels like an insult to my intelligence in a way

Exactly what I was going to say... I felt stupid after hearing the entire myspace.

I listened to it for 10 minutes ago, and I just want to say that I really want to listen to some seriours stuff right now... and I though that Manowar was cheesy, this is almost as cheesy as Manowar.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

31.08.2008 - 03:47
YoreLore
They sound pretty good live, just like the CD. Catchy songs to sing along to when drunk. Gets pretty boring fast though and the vocals are quite annoying. Whats worse is that at concerts he constantly talks like a pirate.
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
01.09.2008 - 03:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.06.2008 at 00:18

Written by Doc G. on 24.03.2008 at 23:25

but then it just feels like an insult to my intelligence in a way

Exactly what I was going to say... I felt stupid after hearing the entire myspace.

I listened to it for 10 minutes ago, and I just want to say that I really want to listen to some seriours stuff right now... and I though that Manowar was cheesy, this is almost as cheesy as Manowar.

At least Manowar can write catchy songs without relying on synthesizers to cover up lack of guitar creativity, like so many bands are doing these days.
----
- George Carlin
02.09.2008 - 17:02
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
in my opinion this band is extremely overrated, although they do have their moments and captain morgan's revenge is a FANTASTIC song in my eyes, but that song apart the whole album is entirely mediocre, sometimes even far under average

the vocals are horrible on first listen but they don't disturb anymore after a few listen, what does disturb though is that the songs are very simple and tend to get boring very fast as well (except for the aforementioned song for me)
this might be ok for listening in the background while you're getting drunk anyway and your demand to the music isn't very high at the moment, but otherwise...

just my two cents

by the way they did do a good job as openers for the fiesta pagana festival that i saw in june, their show was quite fun and not bad as a warm-up
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
03.09.2008 - 02:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Bas on 02.09.2008 at 17:02

in my opinion this band is extremely overrated, although they do have their moments and captain morgan's revenge is a FANTASTIC song in my eyes, but that song apart the whole album is entirely mediocre, sometimes even far under average

the vocals are horrible on first listen but they don't disturb anymore after a few listen, what does disturb though is that the songs are very simple and tend to get boring very fast as well (except for the aforementioned song for me)
this might be ok for listening in the background while you're getting drunk anyway and your demand to the music isn't very high at the moment, but otherwise...

just my two cents

by the way they did do a good job as openers for the fiesta pagana festival that i saw in june, their show was quite fun and not bad as a warm-up

You've read my review for the album?
----
- George Carlin