Metal Storm logo
What do you think about punk?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 17.08.2006 - 12:33
hi.i want to say this is not a discussion about punkers,but more about the music.i personally think that if you need a break from metal,punk is a good choice.it doesn't have the agression,but since that is what metal is about,it won't be a problem.also i enjoy the optimistic vocals,and the sheer fun-sounding atmosphere of 80-90s punk.i don't enjoy that much the old-school punk.
other than that i think punk loses its originality and novelty value fast,if those values haven't already been lost.also i tend to get bored of punk,although i haven't listened to that much amount of this music type.
so,this is what i like and dislike about punk.what do YOU think?
23.09.2006 - 23:33
Rainmaker123
Account deleted
I use to be into punk heavly, but not so much now, i still listen to a few punk bands like The Clash, Bad Religion, Dropkick Murphys, The Offspring. But the message behind most punk is very inteligent like Arian Totalis said, and not selling out to mainstream and stuff. one reason i started to go of punk was becouse of all the emo stuff that was been passed of as punk.
26.09.2006 - 00:01
LethargyMan
Written by Valentin B on 23.09.2006 at 09:33

girls don't like boys,girls like cars and money....
isn't this the epitome of brainwashing stupidity?;D

Good Charlotte is not punk - Good Charlotte is simply our misfortune.

"Pop punk" is a great vice on our culture and ought to be eradicated... by any means necessary...
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
16.10.2006 - 03:00
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by LethargyMan on 26.09.2006 at 00:01

Written by Valentin B on 23.09.2006 at 09:33

girls don't like boys,girls like cars and money....
isn't this the epitome of brainwashing stupidity?;D

Good Charlotte is not punk - Good Charlotte is simply our misfortune.

"Pop punk" is a great vice on our culture and ought to be eradicated... by any means necessary...

man...Good Charlotte isnt even Pop Punk...it's Just Generic Mtv Pop with a Punk/Rebel image to sell to 11 yr old kids that feel "alienated" and "Different"

Real Pop Punk is
Screeching Weasel,Moral Crux,The Queers, Mr T Experience.Ramones,Descendents
16.10.2006 - 03:08
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
and for the knucklehead saying Punk lyrics are Stupid and unintelligent Probably Never Heard a Propagandhi or Crass album
16.10.2006 - 04:29
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
@Jesus: Crass is way to intelligent for that knucklehead haha!

Anyway:

Punk, ah yes, the thing that made music interesting for me. If we talk about punk (music) I must say the first thing that comes into my mind is the german scene back than in the 80's.

I love old school hardcore punk. I can't stand The Ramones, The Clash, Sex Pistols and all that shit, sorry.
But old school hardcore, yummy, love it.

I'd love to make a list but I'm not sure if anyone in here is into german old school hardcore, if you ask me for english bands the frist bands to come into my mind are: Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Discharge, Doom, Void etc..
16.10.2006 - 05:01
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
@Jesus_Puncher- haha yeah, Screaching Weasel is pretty cool, for how happy they are. Happy punk isn't really my thing, but they have some good stuff.
17.10.2006 - 15:37
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14220] on 16.10.2006 at 04:29

@Jesus: Crass is way to intelligent for that knucklehead haha!

Anyway:

Punk, ah yes, the thing that made music interesting for me. If we talk about punk (music) I must say the first thing that comes into my mind is the german scene back than in the 80's.

I love old school hardcore punk. I can't stand The Ramones, The Clash, Sex Pistols and all that shit, sorry.
But old school hardcore, yummy, love it.

I'd love to make a list but I'm not sure if anyone in here is into german old school hardcore, if you ask me for english bands the frist bands to come into my mind are: Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Discharge, Doom, Void etc..

havent heard too much German hardcore or Punk to say i'm a fan of the said scene...but i'll do some research when i get some spare time...anyways...you into any swedish hardcore like Refused or Raised Fist?
17.10.2006 - 21:18
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
I love swedish d-beat/hardcore!
I did not hear Refused yeat but I love Anti-Cimex, Mob47, Raised Fist, Discard & Agoni
17.10.2006 - 22:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
nice to see The Descendents mentioned. They put out a new album every 6-7 years or so, but the last two have been every bit as enjoyable as "Milo goes to College" was.

Same with Crass. While I am nowhere near them politically, I still enjoyed my "Feeding of the 5,000" tape back in the day.

Sadly, thanks to the bastard pop offspring of the genre (was referring to the quasi-punk, radio friendly bands as opposed to the band 'offspring' directly... although they qualify) the undereducated public's opinion of "what is punk" is this horribly diluted and inoffensive crap.

Between that and the fact it's 20 years removed from it's heyday, the genre is almost a joke anyways. When I see High School kids hanging out outside the local grocery store, "punked out" I can't help but laugh... I'm sure they think it's because I find their appearance "shocking" or "confrontational" when in reality, I just find them about as pitiful as I do the neo-hippies that hang around the college campus.

Christ, the punk ship had sailed before I started listening to the genre in the late 80's...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.10.2006 - 03:02
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
@Bittercold

there are still ideals (very Few)....but it has nothing to do with what someone wears..but really, mostly Punk is Just Music Nowadays...Just like Metal or anything else...
18.10.2006 - 15:01
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
the name says it all.......
its like the most boooring type of music ever.............everything is the same
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
18.10.2006 - 20:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 18.10.2006 at 15:01

its like the most boooring type of music ever.............everything is the same

What punk bands have you heard? What is the basis of your analysis? Saying "everything is the same" indicates to me you are probably horribly underexposed and uninformed regarding the genre.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.10.2006 - 10:09
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by BitterCOld on 18.10.2006 at 20:42

Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 18.10.2006 at 15:01

What punk bands have you heard? What is the basis of your analysis? Saying "everything is the same" indicates to me you are probably horribly underexposed and uninformed regarding the genre.

Well.................ur probably right, I might have been just a little bit quick to judge it,
all the punk I've ever heard were in games like Need For Speed Underground (and later) and Tony Hawks American Wasteland.........and all the songs sound the same (not that I think they suck, they're good but nothing special about them)
----

19.10.2006 - 19:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Looks like I was dead on. If your exposure to punk is limited to what you hear in videogame soundtracks, you might not want to make sweeping generalizations about the genre, especially before posting on a punk thread full of punk fans.

Just a thought.
----

20.10.2006 - 05:06
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Damn, someone mentioned Bad Brains and I just realized that I totally forgot about them. They're one of my favorite hardcore bands...their self titled album is great.
20.10.2006 - 06:50
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Dangerboner on 20.10.2006 at 05:06

Damn, someone mentioned Bad Brains and I just realized that I totally forgot about them. They're one of my favorite hardcore bands...their self titled album is great.

And, they're like the God Forbid of Punk, Because every member is black.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
20.10.2006 - 08:03
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Any Iggy Pop fans? I don't think he's been mentioned yet. From what I understand, he has some pretty awesome shows which usually end up with everyone on stage.
20.10.2006 - 09:29
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Bad Brains ain't the God Forbid of punk, they are the Black Sabbath of Hardcore Punk.
23.10.2006 - 10:57
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by BitterCOld on 19.10.2006 at 19:19

Looks like I was dead on. If your exposure to punk is limited to what you hear in videogame soundtracks, you might not want to make sweeping generalizations about the genre, especially before posting on a punk thread full of punk fans.

Just a thought.

Dude calm down I'm really sorry I never meant to hurt u in any way
no need to kill me 4 it
----

23.10.2006 - 20:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 23.10.2006 at 10:57

Just a thought.

no need to kill me 4 it

i didn't "Kill" you for it. you opened your yap to post negatively about a genre you apparently know next to nothing about. i called you out on it.

my retort was worded much nicer than it could have been...
----

24.10.2006 - 01:28
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Gorilla Biscuits is a Great band...if you dont know who they are..Pick up "Start Today"...GB along with Youth of Today really set a new Standard for Hardcore Punk back in 80's
25.10.2006 - 06:54
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
Anyone listen to Bomb the Music Industry? I think it's just one or two guys. They're one of those bands that tends to jump styles a lot but in this case they're always related to punk. They have a lot of really funny songs, like "Funcoland vs. the Southern Electorate," ("BLOW ON IT LIKE AN OLD NINTENDO! BLOW ON IT LIKE AN OLD NINTENDO!") and the music's really, really good.
26.10.2006 - 10:11
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by BitterCOld on 23.10.2006 at 20:06

Just a thought.

no need to kill me 4 it

i didn't "Kill" you for it. you opened your yap to post negatively about a genre you apparently know next to nothing about. i called you out on it.

I beg u to forgive me ........................(not)
----

26.10.2006 - 20:45
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 26.10.2006 at 10:11

Just a thought.

no need to kill me 4 it

Dude, calm down. You said something that was incorrect and he pointed out to you that you were wrong, and explained why. Don't freak out, just say "oops" and move on rather than be sarcastic and immature about it.
28.10.2006 - 13:07
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by [user id=1455] on 26.10.2006 at 20:45

Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 26.10.2006 at 10:11

Just a thought.

no need to kill me 4 it

Dude, calm down. You said something that was incorrect and he pointed out to you that you were wrong, and explained why. Don't freak out, just say "oops" and move on rather than be sarcastic and immature about it.

oops (now moving on...........)
----

28.10.2006 - 21:45
Black_Crown
Account deleted
I love old hardcore punk, like The Misfits, Black Flag, The Stooges, Dead Kennedys, and The Ramones. As for the rest IMO complete crap. I hate all of the junk from Blink 182 to the really ignorant and naive Sex Pistols and the rest of the un-talented musicians that came from the U.K. in the late seventies, and early eighties. "Thats my opinion on the subject if u cant really play your instruntment like many "punk" musicians do then u shouldnt even be on a stage." Straight for the mouth of Lemmy of Motorhead.
29.10.2006 - 05:09
iaberis
Advice Troll
I love Punk! To be honest I'm listening to "A New Found Glory - It never snows in Florida" right now!
I also like to listen to Blur, some GreenDay and NoFX, Sum41, The Offspring, The Ramones, The Vandals, or even Zebrahead... I do listen to The Exploited, but I consider them more like Thrash Metal with Punk lyric concept
----
Bitch! Please
29.10.2006 - 12:59
Warman
Erotic Stains
I do respect punk, but I hate those MTV bands that consider themselves to be Punk like Good Charlotte, Green Day and Blink-182 ... they are not Punk!
----
29.10.2006 - 14:14
Basso
Account deleted
I love punk, punk as in Crust (Mob 47) / Hardcore (Totalt Jävla Mörker) and Grindcore (Nasum <3). I despise Pop- punk and happy punk.
31.10.2006 - 06:50
Linak
I Own You Bitch
I actually do listen to some punk, not as much as I really used to but I still own a couple of Sex Pistols albums and ehem... not sure if I should admit it but.. oh well I also own one of Rancid haha yeah I know ! >.< but oh well so far my favorite punk band remains The Misfits, really have nothing else to say haha ^^'
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.