Metal Storm logo
Phil Anselmo - Under Fire Following White Power Gesture

Frontman Phil Anselmo (Pantera, Down, Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals) is getting some heat following a gesture he made onstage after his appearance at Dimebash last week. He has played down the incident and denied being a racist after a video was posted online (which you can see below). Anselmo performed the Pantera classic "Walk" at the event in honour of his late bandmate Dimebag Darrell Abbott at the Lucky Strike Live in Hollywood, California, on January 22nd. Phil Anselmo was caught on tape giving a one armed Nazi-style salute and then yelled into the crowd something that sounds like "white power." He has now justified it as an "inside joke".

Phil Anselmo has made a statement about the incident under his Housecore Records YouTube account: "Ok folks, I'll own this one, but dammit, I was joking, and the 'inside joke of the night' was because we were drinking fucking white wine, hahaha... Of all fucking things. Some of y'all need to thicken up your skin. There's plenty of fuckers to pick on with a more realistic agenda. I fucking love everyone, I fucking loathe everyone, and that's that. No apologies from me. PHA '16"

This is not the first time Anselmo has made comments from the stage that have been perceived as racist, like at a show in Montreal in 1995, uttering statements including, "rap music advocates the killing of white people."

Source: metalinsider.net
Band profile: Pantera
Posted: 28.01.2016 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 74   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 366 users
30.01.2016 - 02:24
What gets me about this is most metalheads do not give a fuck about what the musicians do outside of making good music. Bands have burned churches, killed people, beaten people, tortured people, etc, and this makes metalheads look bad? Get fucking real mainstreamers.
30.01.2016 - 08:45
Maco
Pvt Funderground
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
30.01.2016 - 10:18
Zap
Written by ylside on 30.01.2016 at 01:53

Best youtube comment though :
"Phil Anselmo is just misunderstood, his arm was hurting due to the fact that he a was holding that heavy microphone in his hands for the whole concert and he needed to stretch his arm (those things are fucking heavy). Then, as nowadays everybody does, he was just doing some product placement for helping his drug-dealer friend out. In fact he was screaming "white powder", which he very much enjoys with white wine."

Hahahahaha, good one. Also goes to show how ridiculous this is.
30.01.2016 - 11:24
Dave FC
Written by Spirit of dead on 29.01.2016 at 23:04

Written by Dave FC on 29.01.2016 at 22:47

+1

Being drunk doesn't exonerate you being a jerk. Just saying...

Most people are jerks when they're drunk, myself included.

So, you are implying that his behaviour is justified cause he's drunk or what?
I could understand if you are with your friends having a party time and make a 'nazi joke'. ok, right....
But this is so different when you put your feet on a stage and praise the 'white power' to the audience (not even being the very first time he does an apology like that).
You do that, you get the shit.
But that's only my opinion
30.01.2016 - 13:12
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Maco on 30.01.2016 at 08:45

He Apologized.

Yeah, that was a sincere apology, and now that he gave that excuse I believe he is not racist.
I don't know why people are still bashing him.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
30.01.2016 - 15:46
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by [user id=4365] on 29.01.2016 at 17:15

Fairly sure I do Nazi salutes and joke about white power on a regular basis. Not really enough to convince me of actual racism, and neither is that rap comment either.

He always has been. It's pronounced in the lyrics, shaved head and Southern art.You can also see hints of it in the live show 91 at Moscow. They always have been a bunch of rednecks, but It was just not enough to ruin the enjoyment for me. Still isn't, but it's not a secret Phil is what he is.
30.01.2016 - 15:52
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by Spirit of dead on 29.01.2016 at 23:01

Everything is racist or sexist or discriminatory in the 2016 world. Unless you live somewhere other than the West and then racism, sexism and discrimination are just the way of things.

No, I think it was racist back in the 1930's, during the third incarnation of the KKK during the 50's and it is still today as abhorrent and racist as it always has been and has nothing to do with what year it is.
30.01.2016 - 20:04
Candlemass
Defaeco
He posted an apology:
31.01.2016 - 00:17
ToxicGriever
There are several things I've seen said about this that I want to address;

1) Being drunk is not an excuse for being a dick. Phil is still responsible for his actions.

2) Racist songs by black artists don't excuse Phil's actions and have nothing, whatsoever to do with this. (Assuming the songs in question ARE actually racist and not just violent protest songs that you think are racist because you're too lazy to really think about what is being said.) The same is true for worse things said or done by other metal musicians. Like the saying goes, two wrongs do not make a right.

3) Phil has a history of doing this shit as well as casually saying "nigger." Rob Flynn says as much in the video posted earlier by Belegûr. Casual bigotry like this is not ok and is often hinged on believing in racist stereotypes.

4) White pride and black pride are not two sides of the same coin. White pride has always been about proclaiming the superiority of certain European ethnic group(s) over others. As an Irish-American, I have been told several times in my life that I am not white despite the color of my skin, hair and eyes (white, blonde and blue respectively). Black pride on the other hand is about empowering an oppressed group in a society that literally looks at them as being no better than animals.

5) Criticizing Phil Anselmo's words and actions is not an infringement of his free speech. He has every right to say any stupid, racist thing he wants. At the same time I have every right to tell him that he said something stupid and racist.
31.01.2016 - 00:49
Written by Candlemass on 30.01.2016 at 15:52

No, I think it was racist back in the 1930's, during the third incarnation of the KKK during the 50's and it is still today as abhorrent and racist as it always has been and has nothing to do with what year it is.

Don't know where you get the idea that racism was viewed as abhorrent in the past. You had the Nazis in Germany in 1930s and before that Germans hated the Jews. In the Southern USA you still had segregation up to the 1960s and racism is still strong there. Even in the Northern USA African Americans and other minorities were discriminated. You had Apartheid and white supremacy in South Africa and up to 1980 Rhodesia. In South America you still have massive racism between whites, mulatos, African Americans and native Americans. Gypsies still get persecuted in places like Romania and Hungary. Even the Communist USSR tended to be racist with massive bias against non-European types.

Basically you still have massive racism across the world. It's only in the chunks of the rich western world that peope figured out that skin colour or ethnicity doesn't really matter and every one deserves a far go and even then unfortunately not everyone accepts those values like for example Mr Phil Anselmo.
31.01.2016 - 00:53
Written by Dave FC on 30.01.2016 at 11:24

Written by Spirit of dead on 29.01.2016 at 23:04

Written by Dave FC on 29.01.2016 at 22:47

+1

Being drunk doesn't exonerate you being a jerk. Just saying...

Most people are jerks when they're drunk, myself included.

So, you are implying that his behaviour is justified cause he's drunk or what?
I could understand if you are with your friends having a party time and make a 'nazi joke'. ok, right....
But this is so different when you put your feet on a stage and praise the 'white power' to the audience (not even being the very first time he does an apology like that).
You do that, you get the shit.
But that's only my opinion

Don't think it's justified. Just like drunks committing acts of vandalism or sexual assault or even hitting on your mate's girlfriend isn't justified.

Just said many drunk people are generally dicks as their self control is eroded by booze.
31.01.2016 - 00:56
He is an uneducated redneck , what did you expect?
31.01.2016 - 03:27
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I'd say save the hate for people who openly stand and act in name of such ideal, like that Trump guy, if everything I hear and read from him is actually true. Anselmo is just a drunk guy who doesn't know his place, it might be a delicate subject to joke about but people should not react this way to that and just take it as the stupid gesture it was. I usually joke with similar "racist" statement with friends, and we can laugh at it because we understand it as a primal and ridiculous concept.

Edit: Also, news could be updated with that apology video posted above, it adds to the whole picture.
31.01.2016 - 03:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Unhealer on 31.01.2016 at 03:27

Edit: Also, news could be updated with that apology video posted above, it adds to the whole picture.

That crocodile teared one? The guys is a repeat offender. And every fucking single time he comes up with some lame ass review. The braindead fucktard should grow some balls and just admit he is a racist.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.01.2016 - 03:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I am really getting sick and tired of all the apologists in the metal world when it comes to racism.
Good on the Machine Head guy for speaking out on this matter. He is totally right.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.01.2016 - 04:26
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.01.2016 at 03:48

Written by Unhealer on 31.01.2016 at 03:27

That crocodile teared one? The guys is a repeat offender. And every fucking single time he comes up with some lame ass review. The braindead fucktard should grow some balls and just admit he is a racist.

Were there other repeated situations like this one? What I gathered from this guy based on news, rumors, tales, seeing him live, etc. is that he is quite messed up after all he's been through and pretty much careless of his actions, a guy to be pity of more than mad at if you ask me. I don't see him as someone actually standing up to these ideals but as a guy who can't meassure the implications of touching subjects of this magnitude so loosely, less being drunk or high or whatever he is into now.
31.01.2016 - 12:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
When I said I do not like Pantera, here, ppl make fun about me in 2006-2008.. same I say I don't like Slayer, King Diamon, Venom, and many other bands
I don't judge ppl ho they looks , but he loks like w.a.r. skin some how, and all his actions, I was surprise he has not done anything before, same time Crowbar dude might be next,, just saying
As Che mentioned its problem and many who are true believers has high desk, suit, tie and big house and they make rules and are close to congress
In 60's white man ddnot go to blues bar, black man can not enter in white ppl bar and they had special place where to sit in burger places

PS Che - I don't mind hip hop dies, but its not a race, but music genre what sucks
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.01.2016 - 12:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If ppl do bad they apologies and usually many forgives them , as Chelsea dude who was Eng C , but later was kicke dout and Capello left was it Therry?

anyway I found this (even earth is millions of years older and civilsation 10 000 years, after 20 years when we will dig up second spinx we will see , those are older as bober archeology says

----

31.01.2016 - 13:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Candlemass on 30.01.2016 at 15:46

He always has been. It's pronounced in the lyrics, shaved head and Southern art.You can also see hints of it in the live show 91 at Moscow. They always have been a bunch of rednecks, but It was just not enough to ruin the enjoyment for me. Still isn't, but it's not a secret Phil is what he is.

I keep seeing people mention the racist lyrics, but I can't find any examples from people (I don't follow the lyrics of any band so I'm no good to you there). The lack of cited examples from people makes me wonder if this is just some kind of skewed interpretations people whip out whenever Anselmo acts like a twat. That's just my own speculation at this point, but I would be interested to see the racist lyrics.
31.01.2016 - 14:26
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by [user id=4365] on 31.01.2016 at 13:18

I keep seeing people mention the racist lyrics, but I can't find any examples from people (I don't follow the lyrics of any band so I'm no good to you there). The lack of cited examples from people makes me wonder if this is just some kind of skewed interpretations people whip out whenever Anselmo acts like a twat. That's just my own speculation at this point, but I would be interested to see the racist lyrics.

Like I said, it's not at a disturbing level or even racist per-se but there are at least hints that they are dealing with the subject.

"race, pride, prejudice
black man, white man
no stand
live in the past
we make it last
a hated mass
no solution
mind pollution
for revolution"

Phil himself seems to have a history related to the subject.

Look, I don't care if I don't feel it, but going out like that was the crossing the line. Explicitly.
31.01.2016 - 15:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Candlemass on 31.01.2016 at 14:26

Like I said, it's not at a disturbing level or even racist per-se but there are at least hints that they are dealing with the subject.

"race, pride, prejudice
black man, white man
no stand
live in the past
we make it last
a hated mass
no solution
mind pollution
for revolution"

Look, I don't care if I don't feel it, but going out like that was the crossing the line. Explicitly.

The white pride speech seems like the epitome of stupidity and naivety, possibly racism through monumental ignorance, so I can understand people's issue with that. The lyrics though? Not sure I really see it. "Race, pride, prejudice:" I would say most racists don't refer to themselves or their views as "prejudiced" so that immediately makes me think it's the royal "we" and that he's referring to mankind in general being a bit racist and that it will probably always be like that, and not necessarily that that's a good thing. Pretty vague stuff tbh, I would never use it as any kind of evidence, even in tandem with that white pride speech.
31.01.2016 - 15:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Those lyrics are not 100% racistic, more political, it didn't say much , maybe hidden msg, but not open racist , same as saying Judas Priests are Satanists in their lyrics as fource ppl commit suicide whit shout gun, but non see fucking junkey retards who did it and stripper did not get a dicky , wanted show anger in diferent way
----

31.01.2016 - 21:24
Written by [user id=4365] on 31.01.2016 at 15:31

Written by Candlemass on 31.01.2016 at 14:26

"race, pride, prejudice
black man, white man
no stand
live in the past
we make it last
a hated mass
no solution
mind pollution
for revolution"

The white pride speech seems like the epitome of stupidity and naivety, possibly racism through monumental ignorance, so I can understand people's issue with that. The lyrics though? Not sure I really see it. "Race, pride, prejudice:" I would say most racists don't refer to themselves or their views as "prejudiced" so that immediately makes me think it's the royal "we" and that he's referring to mankind in general being a bit racist and that it will probably always be like that, and not necessarily that that's a good thing. Pretty vague stuff tbh, I would never use it as any kind of evidence, even in tandem with that white pride speech.

English is not my native tongue but, in my opinion, in this song, "prejudice" is for "black man"... I think the general meaning of this lyrics is: just fuck the racial past (and its mutual hate), hail the future revolution...

But, as often, lyrics of a song aren't very easy to understand... especially if you don't drink and smoke when you listen to it...
----
I don't need your god! I just need my brain, my freedom, my love and my pleasures!
The darkness of my dreams are better than the light of your stake!
Nature is so great and your god, so little!
I refuse YOUR explanation of MY reality!
31.01.2016 - 23:43
No Good (Attack The Radical) seems definitely anti-racism, though whether Phil believes in the message is an altogether different story.

"In the states
There's a problem with race
Because of ignorant past burned fires
From evolution
We've been killing each other
I figure man should have it down to a science

No chance
Not for a minute
Not for a second
I won't be defensive
I'm straight out in my opinion
You'd better listen to a man who knows what he is saying
I've seen your side
You run and hide for the mere fact that you feel inferior
Be superior
And know your interior

[Pre]
Race, pride, prejudice
Black man, white man
No stand
Live in the past
We make it last
A hated mass
No solution
Mind pollution
For revolution

[Chorus]
So low behold my eyes
This land of fools will rise
No good
For no one

You blame oppression and play the role of criminals
To rape and burn show progress is minimal
White hoods and militants you know it's such a pity
Living, breathing
Violence in your city

If one man
Had one home
In one world
He'd live alone without variety
Full of anxiety
No one to point at, question
Or even talk to -- in his private grave
No matter what color
He wouldn't be saved from hell
He dwells
A closed mind playing the part of prison cells

[Pre]

[Chorus]"
01.02.2016 - 01:55
Lord_Regnier
He's never been smart, as far as I can remember.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
01.02.2016 - 02:27
This just keeps getting better:

Ex-Machine Head drummer Chris Kontos says both Anselmo and Flynn are "dumbass self centred blowhards":

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-machine-head-drummer-says-robb-flynn-and-philip-anselmo-are-both-dumbass-self-centered-blowhards/

And Dimebag's girlfriend accuses Flynn of being a hypocrite and being butthurt about his encounters with Phil and including the whole of Pantera in his statement.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dimebags-girlfriend-accuses-robb-flynn-of-masking-his-real-problem-in-wake-of-white-power-uproar/

Not surprised about Flynn - man's always been a trend jumper and has always loved the controversy like his spat with Slayer's Kerry King.

Still this stuff is worthy of Spinal Tap.
01.02.2016 - 06:51
Gopherhawk
There should be two commandments:

1. Be cool.
2. Don't be an asshole.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
04.02.2016 - 18:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Are we all aware of the fact that one can be a racist without necessarily writing overtly racist lyrics?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
04.02.2016 - 18:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.02.2016 at 18:39

Are we all aware of the fact that one can be a racist without necessarily writing overtly racist lyrics?

Iam now thinking of a self-professed Finnish racist you talked to last Roadburn.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.02.2016 - 18:52
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.02.2016 at 18:50

Iam now thinking of a self-professed Finnish racist you talked to last Roadburn.

Is he really? I was much more strangely amused by that drunken rambling he did with me in front of the bar than I was offended
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 6600 | This month: 14