Metal Storm logo
Favorite folk metal regional context

Original post

Posted by selken, 15.11.2007 - 01:13
Although every band fits properly in their countries, maybe you prefer an specific folk melody from a region of the world, for example, I prefer the Scandinavian sound of Ensiferum and Moonsorrow, despite of being from the Americas. At the same way, maybe some finnish prefer In Extremo rather than finntroll or an israeli prefers turisas rather than melechesh, and so...
what's your favorite??

Also, you can make recommendations, for example, I recommend Nagtegaal a peruvian band with some inca elements.

Poll

Whats your favorite regional sound for folk metal?

Viking/Scandinavian
Celtic
Mesopotamic/Arabic
English/German/French Medieval
Other
North American
South American
Chinese/Korean/Japanese

Total votes: 67
17.11.2007 - 15:43
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Taktsekte on 17.11.2007 at 15:13

I agree with K7 and Promonex that Slavic Folk Metal should be a separate option as well. Bands like Arkona, Troll Gnyot El, etc. have dozens of fans among metalheads.

I've never really thought of Troll' Gnet El' sounding particularly Slavic, let alone that they aren't metal at all. But yeah, they do have their fans
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
17.11.2007 - 15:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Promonex on 17.11.2007 at 15:43

I agree with K7 and Promonex that Slavic Folk Metal should be a separate option as well. Bands like Arkona, Troll Gnyot El, etc. have dozens of fans among metalheads.

I've never really thought of Troll' Gnet El' sounding particularly Slavic, let alone that they aren't metal at all. But yeah, they do have their fans

Slavic metal are and shood be in slavic languages and come from slavic countries
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.11.2007 - 16:30
Officer Comrade
Can someone recommend me some North American folk metal?
17.11.2007 - 16:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Officer Comrade on 17.11.2007 at 16:30

Not me better try traditional indian folk music
----

17.11.2007 - 16:58
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by Officer Comrade on 17.11.2007 at 16:30

Don't think such genre exists , unless Eskimos start playing metal The same to CHinese/Korean/Japanese (and Vietnamese), their traditional musics are totally different from metal. blend metal and those things together and the result would be horrible for sure

About my personal fav, i used to be so interested in Nordic folk bands like Ensiferum or Finntroll... but since i had a chance to know about Orphaned Land and their masterpiece Mabool, my opinion has changed . Thus I vote for Middle-East/Mesopotamic/Arabian
17.11.2007 - 17:22
Officer Comrade
@K7, maybe I cant stand indian folk than North American.
@duyhung, Im not sure if mixing chinese folk with metal, but chinese folk with rock and roll, there has a band in China: Cui Jian. http://www.myspace.com/cuijian. Hope someday there will be a chinese/korean/japanese/vnese folk metal.
17.11.2007 - 17:34
duyhung
Account deleted
@Jed : yeah if it's mixing rock with traditional music then in Vietnam they've already done. You know which band i'm talking about, don't you? Our 'The Wall' lol
17.11.2007 - 18:09
Officer Comrade
Written by [user id=14272] on 17.11.2007 at 17:34

@Jed : yeah if it's mixing rock with traditional music then in Vietnam they've already done. You know which band i'm talking about, don't you? Our 'The Wall' lol

haha I get it
05.02.2008 - 23:55
Torelli

English/German/French Medieval: Hmmm... do you only refer to In Extremo (one of my favourite bands by the way) and Subway To Sally or would you say Skyclad fits into this category as well, instead of Celtic Folk Metal... or do you rather mean Medieval Folk Metal in general? Because I adore that style, it would have been my pick if there were no Celtic Folk Metal, and I feel that bands like Midnattsol (and even Octavia Sperati, at some points), play Medieval Folk Metal while hailing from other countries outside Germany, Britain and France. Again, all glory to Medieval Folk Metal.

Wait a minute...midnattsol medival folk!? They are one of the most norwiegian sounding bands out there! I think they truly have a nordic vain in their music.... Btw, would you classify Haggard as medival folk or just plain symphonic metal? I can't really make up my mind about it...

Oh well, back to subject. I find the slavic folk metal scene most intresting. simply better folk music blended with slavic languages and good metal. Other then that, I a little baised to my own kind of folk metal, scandinavian. But I don't like all the obsession of asathru and vikings (aspecially all those with keywords as Thor,Odin, batlle, Valhalla etc). Even south american bands play "viking metal" nowdays.(It's a shame, considering how great folk music they have). I like the type of folk metal that are more life oriented, with focus on nature rather then anything else. Something in the vain of Vintersorg or Midnattsol. (But this is more focused on the lyrics, so perhaps this has no relavance...)

I think any kind of folk metal has a kind of charm to it. But i have get to find a good north american(Canada, USA) folk metal band that sounds good. Can be hard since I don't like their kind of folk music...Any reccomendations?
06.02.2008 - 00:37
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
There really needs to be some Native American folk metal. I really like Cusco, a German New Age band that do a lot of world music, especially their Apurimac III album. The beats, chants, and flute works depict a Native American musical heritage. Why can't this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTrmpPVt2-I be incorporated into a metal style?

I would think that their music would have the most anger in it, if you look at their history of interactions with invaders.
Some people have noticed:
Iron Maiden "Run To The Hills"
Anthrax "Indians"
06.02.2008 - 01:14
Damnated
Churchburner
lol, what a stupid poll. i mean is there actually North American folk music? sure, redneck music, but that has nothing to do with metal. same goes for chinese/japanese folk mixed with metal. have you actually heard japanese folk metal, or you just wanted to be politically correct here? i don't think there is such thing.

on the other hand, there are a lot of bands who use slavonic folk elements in their metal. yet no option for this.

it is really that hard to think for 10 seconds before you make a thread?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
07.06.2008 - 17:29
Officer Comrade
Written by Damnated on 06.02.2008 at 01:14

lol, what a stupid poll. i mean is there actually North American folk music? sure, redneck music, but that has nothing to do with metal. it is really that hard to think for 10 seconds before you make a thread?

North American folk mixed on metal ? The answer is yes. Tomhawk, nominated in Metalstorm award 2007.

EDIT: I mean Tomahawk*
10.06.2008 - 23:32
Gordon Freeman

lol, what a stupid poll. i mean is there actually North American folk music?

Yes. The native american tribes had been making tribal music for hundreds of years before the Europeans even showed up on the continent.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
10.06.2008 - 23:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Gordon Freeman on 10.06.2008 at 23:32

Yes. The native american tribes had been making tribal music for hundreds of years before the Europeans even showed up on the continent.

but does there are pure nativ american metal band?
----

11.06.2008 - 00:06
Gordon Freeman
Written by Bad English on 10.06.2008 at 23:59

There will be as soon as I can get enough native american metalheads together who want to play folk-metal instead of death metal or being in a Slayer or Iron Maiden cover band...
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

11.06.2008 - 00:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Gordon Freeman on 11.06.2008 at 00:06

Written by Bad English on 10.06.2008 at 23:59

There will be as soon as I can get enough native american metalheads together who want to play folk-metal instead of death metal or being in a Slayer or Iron Maiden cover band...

I hope get demo cd whit autograpf

PS Autopsy isnt it native american band? even DM?
----

11.06.2008 - 00:13
Gordon Freeman
Written by Bad English on 11.06.2008 at 00:07

I hope get demo cd whit autograpf

PS Autopsy isnt it native american band? even DM?

Nah, as far as I know there were no Native American's in Autopsy. The original line up had one guy who might have been NA but the others were pasty white Californians.

When it comes to the native american metal head they tend to come in four styles. Iron Maiden wannabes, Slayer wannabes, Cannibal Corpse wannabes, or Slipknot wannabes.

Now I'm just generalizing so any Native Americans who read this post and don't listen to any of those bands please don't get offended.

[/thread jack]
----

11.06.2008 - 01:06
Damnated
Churchburner

that's true, i wanted to ask if this music is mixed to some extent with metal or not. can we talk about native american music influenced metal?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
11.06.2008 - 01:15
Gordon Freeman
Written by Damnated on 11.06.2008 at 01:06

that's true, i wanted to ask if this music is mixed to some extent with metal or not. can we talk about native american music influenced metal?

It's coming...eventually ^^
----

12.06.2008 - 11:50
Hamird
Lieutenant
I voted to Celtic music, because of Bagpipes (i think mostly this instrument is for Celtic). But, also i enjoy Scandinavian and Medieval music.. Specially Medieval which reminds me movies and games which are related to medievals..
12.06.2008 - 23:33
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Whats the difference between North and South american folk metal???

For me, any regional folk has its good value... but i prefer the south (and north) american folk. Most of the bands are unknown but the quality of the sound and themes are great.
Viking and Celtic are the most famous of course, in this eurocentric world...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
13.06.2008 - 00:36
ß
Problem?
The Scandinavian's make the best folk/viking metal by far.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
13.06.2008 - 09:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Uirapuru on 12.06.2008 at 23:33

Generaly nothing because boath are indians, only diferebt traditions, instruments and so on
----

13.06.2008 - 10:13
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Bad English on 13.06.2008 at 09:48

Generaly nothing because boath are indians, only diferebt traditions, instruments and so on

Thats what i thought too... the instruments are usually the same ones, maybe some changes on the flutes in the case of the Andean flute.
But i've never seen a folk metal band from the United states or Canada (indigenous or tribal folk i mean)... mexico is the only country in North America (for the ones who consider Mexico a north american country) that has a traditional folk metal. The best in the whole continent along with Peru.
None of them showed here in MS (i've found only Tenochtitlan and Yaotl Mictlan).
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
13.06.2008 - 10:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Uirapuru on 13.06.2008 at 10:13

Thats what i thought too... the instruments are usually the same ones, maybe some changes on the flutes in the case of the Andean flute.
But i've never seen a folk metal band from the United states or Canada (indigenous or tribal folk i mean)... mexico is the only country in North America (for the ones who consider Mexico a north american country) that has a traditional folk metal. The best in the whole continent along with Peru.
None of them showed here in MS (i've found only Tenochtitlan and Yaotl Mictlan).

also culture, for example in Amazon still are people who dont know that white man exist, like those indains who shoot arrow to airplain

Sepulture roots bloody roots was recoredt whit indains
----

13.06.2008 - 10:27
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Bad English on 13.06.2008 at 10:15

Written by Uirapuru on 13.06.2008 at 10:13

also culture, for example in Amazon still are people who dont know that white man exist, like those indains who shoot arrow to airplain

Sepulture roots bloody roots was recoredt whit indains

yeah.. sepultura recorded a lot of songs with the Kaiowas tribe.. in Chaos A.D too. But the Kaiowas are very familiar with the european culture.
theres this tribe in an pacific islanc that worship the airplanes as a god XD.. airplanes have such an influence xP.
----

----
18.06.2008 - 00:53
Gordon Freeman
Written by Gordon Freeman on 11.06.2008 at 01:15

Written by Damnated on 11.06.2008 at 01:06

On another note.

Tech Multimedia Music Dictionary defines folk music as "music of the common people that has been passed on by memorization or repetition rather than by writing, and has deep roots in its own culture."

So potentially, any country can have folk music or folk metal.
----

30.09.2008 - 00:32
Frija
Scandinavia by far, though there are some good Celtic-sounding bands out there, like Eluveitie. I haven't heard a lot from the other regions, so I guess I'm making a pretty uninformed decision. :
30.09.2008 - 16:09
Janne
Hugin
My favourite is Hungarian folk metal (Dalriada) which cannot be classified to any of these genres (and it's neither slavic). But I rather chose Viking/Scandinavian instead of "other" because I also love that style and The 50% of my favourite bands play it. There are some great celtic folk metal bands, too that I like. But Scandinavian is absolutely the winner!
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
30.09.2008 - 16:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Gordon Freeman on 11.06.2008 at 01:15

If it's coming 'eventually', how can you already vote for it? Or should we all wait with our votes until it finally arrives? Weird poll.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama