Metal Storm logo
SunnO)))

Original post

Posted by ItalktotheWind, 06.07.2006 - 07:30
So, here we are, with this crazy band. I infact love all of the two albums I own of this band (White 2 and Black 1). Black 1 almost feels to me to be a black drone album, but also white 2 is just epic, and HEAVY! Discuss!
25.10.2007 - 06:25
mankvill
Flight of the Behemoth is fantastic.

I hate how all the stupid scene kids who read Pitchfork magazine think liking Sunn O))) is cool.
25.01.2008 - 07:41
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
I LOVE Black One!! I had never heard drone before, but this album has definitely made me interested in the genre.
25.01.2008 - 18:49
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Empty Spaces on 25.01.2008 at 07:41

I LOVE Black One!! I had never heard drone before, but this album has definitely made me interested in the genre.

Good. Then check out Hjarnidaudi - Pain:Noise:March. Drone as well, though different from Sunn O))) but absolutely one of the most annihilating pieces of music ever to be made.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.01.2008 - 20:10
Lord TJ
Such an odd name for a band, why does it have ))) at the end of Sunno?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
25.01.2008 - 20:15
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Lord TJ on 25.01.2008 at 20:10

Such an odd name for a band, why does it have ))) at the end of Sunno?

Sunn O))) is named after the Sunn amplifier brand, whose logo includes a circle next to the "SUNN" banner with waves heading off to the right .
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
25.01.2008 - 20:18
Lord TJ
Written by hanna of steel on 25.01.2008 at 20:15

Sunn O))) is named after the Sunn amplifier brand, whose logo includes a circle next to the "SUNN" banner with waves heading off to the right .

Ya know, I don't think I would ever expect a band name to come from an amplifier brand, lol.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
25.01.2008 - 20:20
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I guess it's as good a way of choosing a name as any other.

And it gets them noticed - everyone wants to know where the name comes from :p
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
25.01.2008 - 21:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Damn, that question must have been asked a million times before.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.01.2008 - 03:54
VPeter
I like it every now and then, but like other drone - it gets repetive quickly.
26.01.2008 - 11:18
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by VPeter on 26.01.2008 at 03:54

I like it every now and then, but like other drone - it gets repetive quickly.

the main idea behind drone is the repetition of a few riffs. it is repetitive from the get go.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

26.01.2008 - 14:06
VPeter
yeah, but it doesn't change the fact that it gets boring. o well at least it is music, unlike drone's brother noise.
26.01.2008 - 14:10
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by VPeter on 26.01.2008 at 14:06

yeah, but it doesn't change the fact that it gets boring. o well at least it is music, unlike drone's brother noise.

It bores you, definitely not me. (Or other droners). Most drone bands have actually buried a lot of stuff in the repetition, which makes it interesting for a lot of plays.
----

26.01.2008 - 18:28
mankvill
I don't really like Black One. Yes, it's a good album, but it's more Noise than Drone.
27.01.2008 - 11:24
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I don't remember if I already commented in this thread, and I'm too lazy/drunk to bother looking through the few pages there are. I tried to like this project but I just couldn't get into it, I have a lot of their work via download but it just hasn't been that appealing. At best it is probably good music to put on to fall asleep to at dawn.
21.07.2009 - 22:40
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
This week's sign of the 2012 apocalypse?

there is an article on ESPN.com (the American sports supercompany) about them. not mentioning them. flat out about them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thelife/news/story?id=4342297
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.07.2009 - 23:20
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 21.07.2009 at 22:40

there is an article on ESPN.com (the American sports supercompany) about them. not mentioning them. flat out about them.

Interesting article. I was really surprised at the fact it was in ESPN.
----
(space for rent)
21.07.2009 - 23:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Dane Train on 21.07.2009 at 23:20

Interesting article. I was really surprised at the fact it was in ESPN.

yeah, good read, and i was fucking stupefied when i saw it on ESPN.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.07.2009 - 09:24
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by BitterCOld on 21.07.2009 at 22:40

To make things even funnier, it's written by Paul Shirley, a pretty horrible former NBA player

good article though
22.07.2009 - 09:42
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Oh, and so I bought Black One not too long ago, but I've only listened to a few minutes of it because I haven't been able to find the right occasion. Tomorrow I'm leaving for a three day camping trip at a lake hours away from home, and since we aren't going to use tents and will practically be in a forest under the stars, I figure that will be the perfect time.
24.07.2009 - 08:13
totgxxx
Account deleted
I'm in a drone band called well of mimir. There will be a myspace page soon. Till then, dceckout myspace.com/totgxxx
24.07.2009 - 08:14
totgxxx
Account deleted
I'm in a drone band called well of mimir. There will be a myspace page soon. Till then, ceckout myspace.com/totgxxx for my black metal band twilight of the gods
26.07.2009 - 02:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Dangerboner on 22.07.2009 at 09:42

Oh, and so I bought Black One not too long ago, but I've only listened to a few minutes of it because I haven't been able to find the right occasion. Tomorrow I'm leaving for a three day camping trip at a lake hours away from home, and since we aren't going to use tents and will practically be in a forest under the stars, I figure that will be the perfect time.

Ok this was a bad idea. I had bad thoughts that night LOL

still kinda awesome though
27.07.2009 - 17:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 26.07.2009 at 02:04

Was it scary or what? ajajjaja
I remember I was listening Ahab's debut the first time... Alone in my room at night. My ears where saying "fuck yes!" but my brain was like "I'm going to shit bricks at any moment..."

Damn... I still don't buy any Sunn O)) cds.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

28.07.2009 - 09:30
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.07.2009 at 17:50

I remember I was listening Ahab's debut the first time... Alone in my room at night. My ears where saying "fuck yes!" but my brain was like "I'm going to shit bricks at any moment..."

Not scary, but still really dark. I listen to metal every night in the dark, but listening to Sunn O))) in a black forest under the stars is a pretty crazy experience. With that being said, I still think they are a little overrated in the underground.

@Joose
28.07.2009 - 22:49
TheBigRossowski
Written by Dangerboner on 28.07.2009 at 09:30

Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.07.2009 at 17:50

Not scary, but still really dark. I listen to metal every night in the dark, but listening to Sunn O))) in a black forest under the stars is a pretty crazy experience. With that being said, I still think they are a little overrated in the underground.

@Joose

Thank you for that. I'm on the verge of deleting Black One, but not quite yet. It's not as impressive as I thought it should be. However, It Took The Night To Believe is a little interesting.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
17.08.2009 - 10:13
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Anyone and Everyone should buy Monoliths and Dimensions. It rivals Black one as their best album imo. I just saw the Sunn live a few days ago and I have to say that I was blown away. Attila Csihar is RIDICULOUS! I don't know how the fuck he makes those sounds out of his throat, much better than seeing him with Mayhem.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
18.08.2009 - 09:15
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I dunno.... the new one seemed like their most accessible release to date. If I'm in the right mood I like it, but the first track always annoys me.

Sometimes I think Sunn O))) is the biggest joke in the metal scene. Their music is so easy, but they're one of the most popular newer bands out there

@Joose
30.08.2009 - 11:02
wormdrink414
Elite
It has taken many hate-filled listens for me to enjoy this band (well, it seemed like many) but last night, as I was winding down to sleep, I found some merit in the drone. Lulled me to sleep though.
04.09.2009 - 22:53
Astoundingly good band. They are the be all and end all of drone. You don't need to listen to any other band, because SunnO))) have already done it better.

Altar is unbelievably amazing.
05.09.2009 - 07:01
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by HarmonyCorruptio on 04.09.2009 at 22:53

You don't need to listen to any other band, because SunnO))) have already done it better.

this is like a southern lord slogan, lol.

if you think sunn o))) are the pinnacle of anything, then you obviously fail. i'm sure after metallica this band sounds overwhelmingly extreme and underground, but if you hear at least other 5 drone bands, you'll realize this band is nothing more than a average.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.