Metal Storm logo
Ideas and suggestions

Original post

Posted by BitterCOld, 24.08.2011 - 20:00
Post yer ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for the website here. thanks.
09.12.2011 - 20:34
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Edmund Fogg on 09.12.2011 at 13:55

Would it work better if only limit the program to two or three websites that has the most chances of containing info on the band (MA, Facebook, Last.fm i.e) then if nothing shows up there it can leave the bands in the list with a special mention that it already tried x sites.

There's still the problem of how the macro is going read albums, if the websites don't have a specific section for albums then the macro couldn't be written to "know" what to look for on the website. And websites like last.fm, Facebook and Myspace don't have a dedicated Albums section like MA and sometimes Wiki so technically MA would be the only reliable source, now since MA band pages always come up in the album area it is possible to write a macro that could read that but then for the band names that are in use by multiple bands, not to mention all the suggestions that aren't even on MA, the macro goes out the window. So basically it all boils down to the fact that trying to write a macro like that would be a big waste of Ivan's (or anybody else's) time since it will [likely] not even be 50% effective.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

09.12.2011 - 22:25
Edmund Fogg
^ Allright I will let go of that one. haha

On a different note, I know the New Album Recommendations 2011 pretty much does that, but it would be cool for users to at least suggest bands for the Staff Pick or put our thumbs up on some Picks.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
09.12.2011 - 23:52
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Edmund Fogg on 09.12.2011 at 22:25

On a different note, I know the New Album Recommendations 2011 pretty much does that, but it would be cool for users to at least suggest bands for the Staff Pick or put our thumbs up on some Picks.

That would be pretty kool actually to be able to thumb up the Staff picks. Idk if it should show up as 2 different views so that users can see how many Staff thumbed up vs how many users have thumbed up.
----

10.12.2011 - 10:49
GT
Coffee!!
Staff

[...], but it would be cool for users to at least suggest bands for the Staff Pick [...]

Then it wouldn't really be a Staff Pick but rather a User Pick wouldn't it
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
10.12.2011 - 13:56
Edmund Fogg
Written by GT on 10.12.2011 at 10:49

[...], but it would be cool for users to at least suggest bands for the Staff Pick [...]

Then it wouldn't really be a Staff Pick but rather a User Pick wouldn't it

No I didn't say choose Staff Picks, but sugest them or put our thumbs up on some of the Piccks.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
11.12.2011 - 01:29
JÄY
Metal slave
I would love to see track and album lengths in the Albums section.
11.12.2011 - 01:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by JÄY on 11.12.2011 at 01:29
I would love to see track and album lengths in the Albums section.

Nope, Ivan decided he didn't want that from the beginning.

And I'm on board with that. After all, the only official track lengths can be found on the physical copy of an album - and some albums differ (with remasters and reissues and whatnot), as well as vinyl editions compared to CDs...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.12.2011 - 02:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=35732] on 11.12.2011 at 02:05
...there's a lot of information to turn exact anyway.

Tell me about it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.12.2011 - 02:57
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
How about a steaming pile of shit emoticon?
----

19.12.2011 - 03:19
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
How about adding the ability to zoom in on the band image when you click on it (this may sound bad but honestly who can say it's not good idea...) like MA?
----

23.12.2011 - 13:00
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Could First-wave Black Metal be added as a genre to end debate over whether Venom/Mercyful Fate/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer (possibly Bathory, too) are/aren't Black Metal?
I also suggest the genre "Pop Metal". Eg. Def Leppard's Hysteria, Blood Stain Child's Epsilon, Delain's April Rain and Within Temptation's Heart Of Everything.
Also, could Darkthrone and Lacuna Coil get Crust Punk and Alternative Metal (respecivly) added to their genre's to reflect their later works?
Thanks.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
23.12.2011 - 21:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 23.12.2011 at 13:00
suggestions

That first-wave idea isn't too shabby, especially since we have other "scene" genres like Bay Area/Teutonic thrash and NWOBHM.

I'll see what some of the other Staffers think, because like you, I don't like seeing them completely cast out of the black metal circle but I also don't like them being strictly incorporated with the likes of Darkthrone, Burzum, etc.

I won't add pop metal. I think it's a ludicrous term. It's either heavy metal, hard rock, AOR, gothic, symphonic, melodic rock, whatever. But not pop metal.

Darkthrone has been changed (crust punk 2006 - present) and I'll look into Lacuna Coil tonight. (As if you're going to make me listen to that shit. )
----
08.01.2012 - 16:27
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
When somebody comments on your review you get a notification, can that notification have a link to the review?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.01.2012 - 03:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.01.2012 at 16:27
When somebody comments on your review you get a notification, can that notification have a link to the review?

It does. :/

Using your Eternal September comment as an example:

Your publication has been commented by BoxCar Willy.

[ Link ] [ PM to BoxCar Willy ]
^ that link takes you to the review
----
09.01.2012 - 03:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.01.2012 at 03:51

Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.01.2012 at 16:27

It does. :/

Using your Eternal September comment as an example:

Your publication has been commented by BoxCar Willy.

[ Link ] [ PM to BoxCar Willy ]
^ that link takes you to the review

DERP.

Total brain-lapse, sorry about that.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.01.2012 - 20:51
Hamird
Lieutenant
Is there any chance to add Metal Storm to Tapatalk?! It's an app for iOS and Android, which gives you a great environment to follow forum topics...

Website admin must add a plugin, it's free to add and can be found here:
http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php

And here's the FAQ:
http://www.tapatalk.com/faq.php
03.02.2012 - 10:04
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Is there a section on this site that shows just new releases? I mean a page that lists any album that's release date was in the last month (or whatever). I think it would be good for finding new albums without having to wait for a review/staff pick.
----
03.02.2012 - 10:12
Ivor
Staff
You mean this and this?

I.
04.02.2012 - 01:18
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by [user id=35732] on 03.02.2012 at 21:08

Phase 1: Here I am browsing BitterCOld's reviews

Phase 2: Here I had the idea to search all the reviews of Darkthrone written by BitterCOld

Le Problème? I ended up with all the reviews of Darkthrone without having the chance just to browse down the reviews done by the twicely aforementioned guy.

So? It would be cooler to end up having the bitter thrones.

Tiny thing, but could be useful and more logical.

This would be pretty kool. Or at least list the writers name to the right instead of having to hover over the albums:

Darkthrone - Circle The Wagons by BitterCOld
----

04.02.2012 - 06:11
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Ivor on 03.02.2012 at 10:12

You mean this and this?

I.

Thats it. Thanks.
----
12.02.2012 - 18:13
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
So we have a "Random Band" link, can we have a "Random Album" link?

----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.02.2012 - 20:25
Ivor
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 12.02.2012 at 18:13

I take it you don't often visit the front page.

I.
12.02.2012 - 22:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Ivor on 12.02.2012 at 20:25

Written by Boxcar Willy on 12.02.2012 at 18:13

I take it you don't often visit the front page.

I.

Durr. Sorry about that.

Quick question, does that only show albums with staff reviews?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.02.2012 - 22:58
Ivor
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 12.02.2012 at 22:45

Quick question, does that only show albums with staff reviews?

It definitely shows albums with reviews. I suspect it's staff reviewed albums, so it's more like a random review feature rather than random album.

I.
17.02.2012 - 16:05
JD
Account deleted
It would be great if users can control(remove or hide) the "Recent favorites" albums from profiles without deleting all the albums ratings.
19.02.2012 - 18:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by [user id=35732] on 18.02.2012 at 23:50

I can add that the UBB code would be useful tool to have available when editing a band's biography.

If you have memorized the UBB coding you can just type it all in (that's how I do it because imo it takes too long to highlight the word and hit the buttons on the toolbar), the toolbar is not necessary to generate the UBB coding; just fyi in case you didn't know that (I've run into other users that weren't aware of that).
----

19.02.2012 - 19:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by [user id=28526] on 17.02.2012 at 16:05

It would be great if users can control(remove or hide) the "Recent favorites" albums from profiles without deleting all the albums ratings.

^This.

at the top of my list is I - Deathday 666.

:/
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.02.2012 - 21:46
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by [user id=35732] on 19.02.2012 at 19:33

Yea, I have memorized the common ones, but I think I'd do faster with the highlighting thing. The problem of other users unaware of using the UBB code in Bio edits would mostly fade out by just throwing the tool kit there. The preview 'button' would be nice too.

I don't think it would help much. Last I checked there isn't any where that tells users what the rules are for UBB coding in bios (aside from that UBB coding in the bios is not a requirement, mostly a preference) so even if the toolbar was there the average user who only contributes a little bit here and there wouldn't know the "proper" way to code the bios.
----

08.03.2012 - 03:47
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
How about this,

When You hover over the Bands, there is a link to the suggestions?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.03.2012 - 14:20
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
*May be in wrong thread(correct me if I am)*

When you put a tags...bands name in CAPS LOCK are not tagged...for eg...ARCH ENEMY...all you have to do is...to rename it.

Can it be fixed??? (Something like...whether band's name in CAPS LOCK OR NOT...it should tagged].