Metal Storm logo
Video Games You're Playing

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 27.01.2015 - 20:05
Has anyone played E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy? It seems like the best worst game ever, or worst best game ever, or something like that.

18.01.2022 - 09:32
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by ylside on 13.12.2021 at 23:38

Have you tried The Witness ? (not difficult, but unique)

I'm currently alternating between Disco Elysium and The Witness. I'm playing the latter in short sessions due to brain overheat, and until recently I thought it was only a pretty puzzle game with interesting if slightly repetitive puzzles (although I really enjoy how the game forces you to change perspective once you've learned the specific rules of an area - this is not something that comes naturally to me). And then I stumbled by accident on, how can I say that without spoiling, the rest of the game. And then my brain exploded. I doubt I've ever seen such a level of detail and meticulousness in a game. Talk about change of perspective...

While we're on puzzle games, I completed Return Of The Obra Dinn in two sessions during the holidays, and it was awesome. I have to say, I usually like the ideas behind puzzle games more than their realization. Most of the time, they lose me after a couple of hours due to the puzzles being way too far-fetched, nonsensical or even illogical. That's why I hate point&click games like Monkey Island for instance. Return Of The Obra Dinn is different. It can be pretty hard if you miss a connection but I thought everything tied together seamlessly and logically. Must be one of the first times I completed that kind of game without googling any part of the solution. Also, the OST and the visuals are awesome.
19.01.2022 - 19:15
ylside
Staff
Written by Deadsoulman on 18.01.2022 at 09:32

Written by ylside on 13.12.2021 at 23:38

Have you tried The Witness ? (not difficult, but unique)

I'm currently alternating between Disco Elysium and The Witness. I'm playing the latter in short sessions due to brain overheat, and until recently I thought it was only a pretty puzzle game with interesting if slightly repetitive puzzles (although I really enjoy how the game forces you to change perspective once you've learned the specific rules of an area - this is not something that comes naturally to me). And then I stumbled by accident on, how can I say that without spoiling, the rest of the game. And then my brain exploded. I doubt I've ever seen such a level of detail and meticulousness in a game. Talk about change of perspective...

While we're on puzzle games, I completed Return Of The Obra Dinn in two sessions during the holidays, and it was awesome. I have to say, I usually like the ideas behind puzzle games more than their realization. Most of the time, they lose me after a couple of hours due to the puzzles being way too far-fetched, nonsensical or even illogical. That's why I hate point&click games like Monkey Island for instance. Return Of The Obra Dinn is different. It can be pretty hard if you miss a connection but I thought everything tied together seamlessly and logically. Must be one of the first times I completed that kind of game without googling any part of the solution. Also, the OST and the visuals are awesome.

Exaaaaaactly - The "other part" of The Witness is actually the core and original idea, according to the dev
It's a bit like the "esoteric side" to the exoteric puzzle solving.
I also played The Witness in short sessions everyday, with the objective of "at least, doing something" in each session. Pays off eventually. Also I noticed that "sleeping on it" actually works here : unsolvable puzzle today, but tomorrow it's clear and easy.

I found Obra Dinn very daunting... I should get back to it eventually.

About illogical point&click that's true for the pre-2000 games, but the newer games took this into consideration and are much more logical (especially games published by Wadget Eye, most of them are great btw)

Glad that you enjoyed The Witness !
19.01.2022 - 19:26
Metren
Dreadrealm
3,7 hours into God Of War on PC. I like it so far, but I don't love it. As someone who never wanted kids and never will have kids, I was afraid the "take care of boy" element would get on my nerves terribly, but it's tolerable. Kratos' stand-offish attitude towards his son becomes predictable and tiresome even two hours in and the "Oh snap! He fucked up/he isn't ready!" moments are predictable and border on cliche, but it's not bad enough for me to quit the game. The gameplay is pretty damn good and I actually like how the connection between father and son is woven into that and goes beyond the cutscenes/dialogue. The game is gorgeous to look at too. It's too early to say anything definitive, but the "OMG 10/10! One of the GOATs" attitude that many have towards God of War is - so far - something I don't understand. It's good. It's almost great. One of the all time greats? IDK about that. I guess time will tell.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
20.01.2022 - 09:44
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by Metren on 19.01.2022 at 19:26

3,7 hours into God Of War on PC. I like it so far, but I don't love it. As someone who never wanted kids and never will have kids, I was afraid the "take care of boy" element would get on my nerves terribly, but it's tolerable. Kratos' stand-offish attitude towards his son becomes predictable and tiresome even two hours in and the "Oh snap! He fucked up/he isn't ready!" moments are predictable and border on cliche, but it's not bad enough for me to quit the game. The gameplay is pretty damn good and I actually like how the connection between father and son is woven into that and goes beyond the cutscenes/dialogue. The game is gorgeous to look at too. It's too early to say anything definitive, but the "OMG 10/10! One of the GOATs" attitude that many have towards God of War is - so far - something I don't understand. It's good. It's almost great. One of the all time greats? IDK about that. I guess time will tell.

The father-son relationship actually gets better and less cliché as the game moves forward. I thought one of the strong points of the game was its writing and character development, and as a father of teenagers myself I even found some of it rather relatable It's not eye-opening or life-changing material, mind you, but at times it was nicely put. And like you said, it ties really well into the gameplay. This one was my first God Of War and I mostly enjoyed it, although it became a little bit tiresome and repetitive towards the end. The lack of variation made it a couple of hours too long.
20.01.2022 - 09:52
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by ylside on 19.01.2022 at 19:15

Exaaaaaactly - The "other part" of The Witness is actually the core and original idea, according to the dev

Dunno it you've seen it already, but this noclip documentary gives some cool insights on The Witness' development

About illogical point&click that's true for the pre-2000 games, but the newer games took this into consideration and are much more logical (especially games published by Wadget Eye, most of them are great btw)

To be honest, I don't remember doing anything recent as far as point&click games are concerned. The only old games in that genre that I really enjoyed were the first Broken Sword on PS1, and that Indiana Jones game from the early 90's.
20.01.2022 - 12:15
ylside
Staff
Written by Deadsoulman on 20.01.2022 at 09:52

Dunno it you've seen it already, but this noclip documentary gives some cool insights on The Witness' development

To be honest, I don't remember doing anything recent as far as point&click games are concerned. The only old games in that genre that I really enjoyed were the first Broken Sword on PS1, and that Indiana Jones game from the early 90's.

Thanks will check the documentary

Indiana Jones and Atlantis is a favourite PnC of mine - If you feel like returning to them later on, Primordia is the way to go
20.01.2022 - 23:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Elden Ring is soon.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.01.2022 - 09:49
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 20.01.2022 at 23:03

Elden Ring is soon.

Pretty open-world Dark Souls should be interesting. I'm also stoked for Horizon: Forbidden West. Moar dinobot fights!
21.01.2022 - 14:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Deadsoulman on 21.01.2022 at 09:49

Pretty open-world Dark Souls should be interesting. I'm also stoked for Horizon: Forbidden West. Moar dinobot fights!

Still don't have a PS5. They cost like $1,400 down here due to heavy taxes on imports of things not made here. Jealous of Jeff... (I have a friend in the US who is going to give me his as he's an xbox lad, and the flight home is cheaper... insane, eh?)

Might give DS2 another go between now and then and go with "Operation Slow Advance Genocide". Still can't get the hang of Sekiro. My timing sucks and managed to beat DS, DS3 and platinum Bloodborne while never mastering parrying. (got gud with some foes in Bloodborne, but no one important).

Everything else i've tried is just "chasing the dragon."

And as a completely different note, fuck Warzone/COD Vanguard.

See Battlefield V fail because of certain agendas and bad marketing, make your own WW2 game and double down on the same factors. Not interested in it. But no... now even my fave Warzone modes require Vanguard or you are stuck with default weapons you don't even get to pick. You literally cannot kit out your character with the Vanguard weaponry. I go into a match with my Modern Warfare or Black Ops assault rifle modded out and it autoswaps it to a base STG or whatever the WW2 equivalent was.

Deleted.

Glad MS bought them. When it inevitably goes exclusive and not on PS, won't feel that temptation to buy the latest shooter when it's half off. "pewpewpew" and dying repeatedly against cheaters was a nice change of pace from dungeon slogging or quest chasing. But fuck that and fuck them.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.01.2022 - 14:27
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 21.01.2022 at 14:20

Still don't have a PS5.

Me neither. They're constantly out-of-stock here and given the hugeness of my PS3/PS4 backlog, I don't feel like queueing with insane fanboys getting into fights over the 5 units that get restocked every two weeks. Sticking to older gen and hoping ER and HFW don't get the Cyberpunk treatment and are actually playable on PS4.
21.01.2022 - 14:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Deadsoulman on 21.01.2022 at 14:27

Me neither. They're constantly out-of-stock here and given the hugeness of my PS3/PS4 backlog, I don't feel like queueing with insane fanboys getting into fights over the 5 units that get restocked every two weeks. Sticking to older gen and hoping ER and HFW don't get the Cyberpunk treatment and are actually playable on PS4.

ER should be great - people bitching about them recycling DS3 animations. FromSoft have never pushed that graphical boundary but focus on gameplay so that should be good.

Judging by the painful noises my machine makes firing up just RDR2, I imagine HFW will be a struggle at best. Maybe not the beautiful dumpsterfire carcrash fever dream that is CP2077 (I've played like 80 hours now. Love getting into a fight and having the battle music kick on after I'm done eviscerating everyone) ... but will likely be at least as good as the OG game.
----

24.01.2022 - 16:19
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by BitterCOld on 21.01.2022 at 14:20

Written by Deadsoulman on 21.01.2022 at 09:49

You literally cannot kit out your character with the Vanguard weaponry. I go into a match with my Modern Warfare or Black Ops assault rifle modded out and it autoswaps it to a base STG or whatever the WW2 equivalent was.

Deleted.

Lol.

That's exactly what COD forums bursting out.
01.02.2022 - 11:41
Deadsoulman
Elite
Disco Elysium is crazy. This game possibly has some of the worst first-hour experience I've seen, with pretty much no tutorial, unclear skills and an inordinate amount of lore that gets dumped on you without warning (mainly due to my high Encyclopaedia score on my first playthrough) - not even mentioning the fact that you can die and get a game over just because you've kicked a mailbox -, but then the music, the setting, the atmosphere, the characters suck you in and you never look back. The writing is some of the best I've seen in a videogame so far. I'm also amazed at how the mood of the game changes depending on how you choose to play it. My first playthrough was "clean good cop with communist leanings" and it felt kind of bittersweet and melancholic, now I'm on a "wasted fascist asshole" rampage and it's mostly hilarious and sad at the same time. Kinda like watching a trainwreck while Yakety Sax plays in the background. Can't wait to try that batshit crazy cosmic journey next and see where it leads to.

It's probably one of the best games I've played in the past few years.
04.02.2022 - 18:23
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I'm super hyped for Horizon: Forbidden West! Can't believe 2017 is already 5 years ago....

I don't have a PS5 so I'll stick to my PS4 Slim. I think the graphics and gameplay should be fine in comparison to the PS5 version. Afterall, they'd have to make it great on the base PS4 as well, since the majority of consumers (I'm guessing) don't have a PS5 either. (But, if I ever get a PS5 in the future, I can upgrade the PS4 game to PS5 for free!)

Even if the graphics are just as good as Zero Dawn, I'd be pleased. I loved playing that game. Can't wait for new machines, new story, new cultures, and new world to explore!
05.02.2022 - 14:04
ylside
Staff
Written by Deadsoulman on 01.02.2022 at 11:41

Disco Elysium is crazy. This game possibly has some of the worst first-hour experience I've seen, with pretty much no tutorial, unclear skills and an inordinate amount of lore that gets dumped on you without warning (mainly due to my high Encyclopaedia score on my first playthrough) - not even mentioning the fact that you can die and get a game over just because you've kicked a mailbox -, but then the music, the setting, the atmosphere, the characters suck you in and you never look back. The writing is some of the best I've seen in a videogame so far. I'm also amazed at how the mood of the game changes depending on how you choose to play it. My first playthrough was "clean good cop with communist leanings" and it felt kind of bittersweet and melancholic, now I'm on a "wasted fascist asshole" rampage and it's mostly hilarious and sad at the same time. Kinda like watching a trainwreck while Yakety Sax plays in the background. Can't wait to try that batshit crazy cosmic journey next and see where it leads to.

It's probably one of the best games I've played in the past few years.

On my list... On my list
Died because I tried to reach the tie in the fan and he got a heart attack or something lol
Must try again.
07.02.2022 - 09:13
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by ylside on 05.02.2022 at 14:04

On my list... On my list
Died because I tried to reach the tie in the fan and he got a heart attack or something lol
Must try again.

Yeah, the game over mechanics are a little ridiculous to be honest. You can die of kicking mailboxes or ice cream dispensers, or simply because someone said something mean to you or because you failed an optional skill check. I lost 30 to 60 minutes of progression a couple of times because of that. It's a little frustrating. The newpapers headlines you get when you lose are funny though.

If you like games with a lot to read, this one's definitely for you.
07.02.2022 - 10:47
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by F3ynman on 04.02.2022 at 18:23

I'm super hyped for Horizon: Forbidden West!

So am I! I played the first one only last year and I loved it. Sure the game has its flaws (combat against humans, cliché dialogues and characters, etc.), but I loved the Monster Hunter-lite combat and I thought the background story was pretty cool. I've seen people raise concerns about the rather standard structure of the open world, but I guess it's valid only if you've played a lot of standard open-world games before, which is not my case so I'm fine with it.

I don't usually preorder games but I've made an exception for Forbidden West Can't wait to discover the new machines and environments!
07.02.2022 - 11:48
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Deadsoulman on 07.02.2022 at 10:47

Written by F3ynman on 04.02.2022 at 18:23

I'm super hyped for Horizon: Forbidden West!

So am I! I played the first one only last year and I loved it. Sure the game has its flaws (combat against humans, cliché dialogues and characters, etc.), but I loved the Monster Hunter-lite combat and I thought the background story was pretty cool. I've seen people raise concerns about the rather standard structure of the open world, but I guess it's valid only if you've played a lot of standard open-world games before, which is not my case so I'm fine with it.

I don't usually preorder games but I've made an exception for Forbidden West Can't wait to discover the new machines and environments!

I got Zero Dawn in March 2017 after seeing TheRadBrad's walkthrough of the beginning. I don't play many video games (my exceptions are any Uncharted or Spider-Man video games ), but I knew I had to get this game!

I 100% it maybe two years ago and I loved it. But since then I haven't revisited it again. Was busy with university and spent most of my free time with metal and chess

Now that the sequel is announced I'm happy that it's gotten a lot of attention again! (In 2017 I feel like it was overshadowed by "Game of the Year" Zelda Breath of the Wild. I can't wait to dive into this new open world!
11.02.2022 - 19:49
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
It's funny how the creators of Horizon seem to be closely watching the reactions and comments of the Reddit Community.

On Reddit people were worried about why only PS5 and PS4 Pro gameplay had been shown, but none on base PS4.
--> Soon after, Sony releases a 20 second video clip of Aloy walking through a beautiful landscape on base PS4.

Then, Redditors said, "OK, but that was just Aloy walking, not fighting machines! Are they hiding something?"
--> immediately afterwards they release base PS4 gameplay of Aloy fighting a Tremortusk on a frozen lake!

But after that, the keen-eyed community spotted at the bottom lefthand corner of footage an icon of a winged machine. Could this mean flying mounts??
--> sure enough, Guerilla release a breathtakingly beautiful cinematic trailer that totally hints that Aloy will be able to fly on a robot dinosaur, baby!

12.02.2022 - 00:36
ylside
Staff
Always liked this tiny bit of dialogue in Deus Ex, comes like that, out of the blue :
22.02.2022 - 00:15
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I've ordered Horizon Forbidden West for PS4 on Amazon. It should arrive later this week. I've been avoiding spoilers for the story, and I've seen that people say the game runs perfectly fine on the PS4 as well
22.02.2022 - 09:14
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by F3ynman on 22.02.2022 at 00:15

I've ordered Horizon Forbidden West for PS4 on Amazon. It should arrive later this week. I've been avoiding spoilers for the story, and I've seen that people say the game runs perfectly fine on the PS4 as well

It does. I'm a couple of hours in and I've only encountered some minor clipping and one respawn on the other side of a locked door I hadn't unlocked before. Nothing game-breaking.
22.02.2022 - 10:44
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Deadsoulman on 22.02.2022 at 09:14

It does. I'm a couple of hours in and I've only encountered some minor clipping and one respawn on the other side of a locked door I hadn't unlocked before. Nothing game-breaking.

Nice. How many GB of space does it take up on your PS4?
22.02.2022 - 14:04
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by F3ynman on 22.02.2022 at 10:44

Around 90 GB. Not too bad, considering it's much less than RDR2 or Death Stranding for instance.
22.02.2022 - 15:29
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Deadsoulman on 22.02.2022 at 14:04

Written by F3ynman on 22.02.2022 at 10:44

Around 90 GB. Not too bad, considering it's much less than RDR2 or Death Stranding for instance.

Yeah. Still a lot. I think I have 100 GB of free space still. But I'll delete one or two games that I don't play anymore just to be sure. Thanks for the info!
23.02.2022 - 11:26
ylside
Staff
Having a lot of fun with Vampire Survivors... good and simple
02.03.2022 - 21:53
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor

I'm a couple of hours in and I've only encountered some minor clipping and one respawn on the other side of a locked door I hadn't unlocked before. Nothing game-breaking.

I've now started playing Horizon Forbidden West! It's great!

The only issue is texture pop in usually in cut scene backgrounds and landmarks in the distance. That's annoying.

But gameplay-wise it's smooth so far. I'm impressed with all the extra additions and improvements they've made: more elaborate/realistic conversation scenes; obviously new machines, but also new weapons and resources; melee combos to unlock; a board game in a tavern; diving underwater; more climbing possibilities; fighting pits; expansive skill-tree... and I'm only in the first corner of the map (at Chainscrape)! I can't wait to explore so much more and I hope the story stays exciting
22.03.2022 - 13:04
nonZero
Now: Bloodborne
Next: The Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption 2
Later: Horizon: Zero Dawn, Elden Ring, Dark Souls 1-3
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
24.03.2022 - 17:22
ylside
Staff
Written by nonZero on 22.03.2022 at 13:04

Might be quite demanding to do RDR2 after Witcher 3, in terms of patience and long run attention, unless you're used to it !
24.03.2022 - 17:49
nonZero
Written by ylside on 24.03.2022 at 17:22

Written by nonZero on 22.03.2022 at 13:04

Might be quite demanding to do RDR2 after Witcher 3, in terms of patience and long run attention, unless you're used to it !

I normally take around 3 months to complete each game, so focusing on one for while isn't a problem for me. I prefer going all-in each time.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)