Metal Storm logo
SunnO)))

Original post

Posted by ItalktotheWind, 06.07.2006 - 07:30
So, here we are, with this crazy band. I infact love all of the two albums I own of this band (White 2 and Black 1). Black 1 almost feels to me to be a black drone album, but also white 2 is just epic, and HEAVY! Discuss!
07.09.2009 - 19:53
I'm not sure what it is about SunnO))), but they're the one Drone band which really WORKS and captivates me. Of course I like Earth and Boris and various other bands like Hjarnidaudi, Thrones and 5ive but none of them click with me as much as SunnO))). SunnO))), to me, are the one band who epitomise drone and do it the best. They continue to develop it and twist it into new forms but are never anything less than captivating, the only band who can do it on every album and it doesn't feel staid or old, and doesn't drag at all.

I don't claim to be an ultra-tr00 drone fiend but I do enjoy Drone. To me, SunnO))) are the pinnacle, and if that makes you want to vomit on to your Black Boned Angel picture discs then so be it. Remember there's a very good reason why some bands are bigger than others or are critically lauded, because they're good at what they do.
09.09.2009 - 00:12
Damnated
Churchburner
sunn o))) in particular are famous because their members founded and run southern lord records, label which produced a lot of bands, most of them are famous/well known in the metal scene. it's only natural that people who buy a xasthur or wolves in the throne room album will check out something from sunn o))) too.

now i don't claim they don't have any achievements as a band . they certainly do, but it's just not enough to fuel their fame. not when bands like Nadja, bands that musically are way superior to sunn o))), remain almost unnoticed.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

09.09.2009 - 01:31
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I got Black One some time ago, and it was a little disappointing. I have now ordered Altars, which I hope will be better. If not, I may or may not check out their White stuff... but at the moment, it's safe to say that, while being promoters of the genre, there's muuuuuch better stuff out there. Hjarnidaudi for fucking president. Can't wait till the new one comes out.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
09.09.2009 - 17:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 09.09.2009 at 01:31

I got Black One some time ago, and it was a little disappointing. I have now ordered Altars, which I hope will be better.

You should be aware that Altar is not a Sunn O))) album but a full colaboration with Boris and therefore the sound of the album is not that "Sunn O)))- like"
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

09.09.2009 - 17:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.09.2009 at 17:15

I got Black One some time ago, and it was a little disappointing. I have now ordered Altars, which I hope will be better.

You should be aware that Altar is not a Sunn O))) album but a full colaboration with Boris and therefore the sound of the album is not that "Sunn O)))- like"

Dude... of course I know that! Otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
09.09.2009 - 17:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 09.09.2009 at 17:43

Point taken, specially because when the album was released I was more interested in what Boris did with Sunn O))) than what Sunn O))) did with Boris if that makes any sense.
----

Rod, let me love you.

09.09.2009 - 20:03
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I wouldn't call Nadja "almost unnoticed" because they are quite to the contrary, one of the most well-known drone bands (imo), although I definitely agree with the overall opinion. Sunn O))) are nothing stellar, and certainly have some releases that are more boring than watching a field of wheat grow. I do like the whites though, and a listen to Black One from time to time is quite decent, but with Hyatari and Hjarnidaudi and other ass-kicking drone bands out there, sunn O))) does not live up to the hype and gets left behind for me.
09.09.2009 - 22:04
Damnated
Churchburner
white 2 is definitely a good album, never heard white 1 though. i don't think i care.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

13.09.2009 - 13:19
Meep
Account deleted
Written by spirit_inblack on 09.09.2009 at 20:03

I wouldn't call Nadja "almost unnoticed" because they are quite to the contrary, one of the most well-known drone bands (imo), although I definitely agree with the overall opinion. Sunn O))) are nothing stellar, and certainly have some releases that are more boring than watching a field of wheat grow. I do like the whites though, and a listen to Black One from time to time is quite decent, but with Hyatari and Hjarnidaudi and other ass-kicking drone bands out there, sunn O))) does not live up to the hype and gets left behind for me.

Indeed, Nadja are comparatively huge where drone is concerned but again their style of ambient drone doesn't really conform to the drone-metal of Sunn and its peers so they probably have a slightly wider appeal - post-rock fans in particular for some reason. I do also agree about Sunn's popularity, I've always maintained they're largely an image-based band; their cloak wearing antics and mystic persona are lapped up by prospective fans whereas the genius of Hyatari and Hjarnidaudi remain largely unnoticed - a geniune shame but they way of music in general. White 2 is still the only album really worth listening too, as it stands is one of the best of the genre but they seem to have a penchant for dramatics and pretentious filler which detracts from the majority of their other releases. A fun band to listen to from time to time but certainly far from the creative peaks of some other outputs.
14.09.2009 - 05:01
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Yes, I agree. At least Hjarnidaudi will get at least a bit more exposure with the Kvarforth thing, but everyone should listen to Light Carriers, that album is amongst the best that drone has to offer. White 2 is indeed the O)))'s best in any case, but Damnated is right, most of their 'fame' comes from Greg Anderson being the head honcho of Southern Lord.
02.11.2009 - 20:20
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Written by Lucas on 09.09.2009 at 17:43

Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.09.2009 at 17:15

Altar is very different from Black one and the whites so just know that, also I feel it is one of their strongest records (for both bands) and if you get a chance buy the 3xLP version. There are some mind bending songs that dont sound like a single thing you've heard before.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
18.12.2009 - 08:46
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Just listened to ''ØØ Void'', one of the considered worst album of their. And I love it. Cant wait to hear the most recommended.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.03.2010 - 15:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I probably sound like a broken record these days but I'd love Sunn to release a more purely, abstract dark ambient album, full of tracks like BassAliens.

I listened to M & D again and It has its moments (particularly "Alice"), it's a fairly strong album, but I think it's probably the only time I've ever disapproved of Attila's vocals, and that's saying something. I'd prefer it to be a little more minimalistic.

If there's anything I do consistently love about this band it's artwork associated with it, the album arts etc.
24.03.2010 - 04:59
whatsacow
I remember our music teacher last year made usd write asn essay on the song with the thirty letter long word title. it was awesome.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
26.03.2010 - 00:04
☭ Mr. S &#9773
Owner of the DSA
Dømkirke should be required listening for anyone who is looking for something out of the ordinary. That album got me hooked on Sunn O))). And I thought that record had Attila's strongest performance that he has ever done, at least in my opinion.
----
Seize the weed of production!
17.12.2011 - 07:18
Void Eater
Account deleted
I started listening to this band a few days ago. Of the songs I've heard, Flight Of The Behemoth and Black One are my favorites. I listened to Hell-O-Ween and Bass Aliens off of White Two, neither of them did anything for me. Black One sounds to me more like a really, really, really slow funeral doom album; more metal than their others. But yeah, gonna listen to their entire discography sooner or later. A lot different than my typical diet of generic thrash.
17.12.2011 - 07:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=111774] on 17.12.2011 at 07:18
Of the songs I've heard, Flight Of The Behemoth and Black One are my favorites.

I've never liked anything outside of Black One. I'm not sure why... I don't have the ability to describe drone but I know that for some reason I like Black One and the rest of their discography doesn't impress me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.12.2011 - 17:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Hello Sunn O))) thread, nice to see you again. Another White2 please, band.
17.12.2011 - 17:18
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

I started listening SunnO)) last year but unfortunately contact was badly broken cause of my exams and stupid essays. That's where I came across my favorite track of this band. Really addictive. Different goals. Different theme. Awesome band.
05.02.2012 - 18:50
Skøllgrim
Northern
Love this band.... I remember not understanding them at all... I didn't get it at all when I heard them waaay back. It's just such different take on music. I wish had a massive sound system to blast Sunn O)))'s music out.... I get pretty decent headphones tho'
Also, these guys seems to have released more stuff according to metallum, fans update their disco! =)
05.02.2012 - 21:49
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Skøllgrim on 05.02.2012 at 18:50

Love this band.... I remember not understanding them at all... I didn't get it at all when I heard them waaay back. It's just such different take on music. I wish had a massive sound system to blast Sunn O)))'s music out.... I get pretty decent headphones tho'
Also, these guys seems to have released more stuff according to metallum, fans update their disco! =)

On it!

I listened to Big Church this morning, by total fluke. It sounded ok, nothing too mind blowing. It was almost like 3 3-minute songs added into one 9 minute track.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.02.2012 - 22:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.02.2012 at 21:49
I listened to Big Church this morning, by total fluke. It sounded ok, nothing too mind blowing. It was almost like 3 3-minute songs added into one 9 minute track.

Their more impressive shizzle is White 2 and Black One if you ask me. Specially the first one.
----

Rod, let me love you.

05.02.2012 - 22:13
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.02.2012 at 22:11

Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.02.2012 at 21:49

Their more impressive shizzle is White 2 and Black One if you ask me. Specially the first one.

To Youtube!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.02.2012 - 22:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.02.2012 at 22:13

To Youtube!

Bassaliens is one of the key Sunn tracks imo... hipnotic and bizarre stuff.
----

Rod, let me love you.

05.02.2012 - 22:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.02.2012 at 22:14

Bassaliens is one of the key Sunn tracks imo... hipnotic and bizarre stuff.

Best track evar!

05.02.2012 - 22:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 05.02.2012 at 22:17
Best track evar!

It's really interesting how it is one of the least heavy ones (in terms of loudness) but it ends up being one of the most disturbing yet strangely soothing.

PS: Fix your link, n00b.
----

Rod, let me love you.

05.02.2012 - 22:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.02.2012 at 22:19

It's really interesting how it is one of the least heavy ones (in terms of loudness) but it ends up being one of the most disturbing yet strangely soothing.

PS: Fix your link, n00b.

There's nothing wrong with the link, that's the weird part. I tried two separate clips and they both didn't work.

<edit>

Nevermind.
05.02.2012 - 22:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
----

Rod, let me love you.

12.02.2012 - 23:58
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I want to check out these guys. What album do you recommend me to start with?
13.02.2012 - 00:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 12.02.2012 at 23:58

I want to check out these guys. What album do you recommend me to start with?

White 2, Black One and Monoliths & Dimensions are my favorite releases atm... I would suggest you to check them out in that same order too.
----

Rod, let me love you.