Metal Storm logo
Awards Voting Now Closed

So this, the 10th Annual Metal Storm Awards, have come to pass.

The awards have continued to grow, with numerous categories surpassing 1000 votes cast, despite a lack of big name clout. For point of comparison, Therion was the biggest vote getter in our first ever awards, racking up 191 for Lemuria. In 2014 they barely would have cracked the Top 25. And that is only if Kvelertak doesn't score two more votes as I type this during the waning hours of the month. That is some growth.

While in general this lack of big names in many genres lead to some closer contests, as with each of the prior 9 editions, we also had the typical big name beat downs. Carcass racked up nearly 600 votes, nearly half cast in the Death Metal field. TesseracT also pulled nearly half the votes in Djent, thumping their competitors. Ever popular Amorphis exorcised Ghost B.C. by over 200 votes, and garnering a third of the vote in a busy Heavy/Melodic metal.

Conversely Orphaned Land won a relatively tight 20 vote victory over Finntroll in a strong Folk / Pagan / Viking cast, and Amaranthe for eeking out a "count the difference on your fingers" victory over Shining in Industrial/Cyber Metal. Congrats and hails to Gloryhammer for winning Best Debut.

Best Clandestine Cut was the newest, bestest, tightest race ever. How tight? Try a tie. Our first tie ever. Deception was winning by a paltry two votes over Pin-Up Went Down as I wrote this up with about an hour before voting closed and went down to the wire as a tie with 20 minutes to go. This has left me furiously typing and updating this piece so it's accurate. Maybe we can find the brick who voted for My Dying Bride to break the tie?

Earlier this year your humble narrator didn't have great things to say about the latest Megadeth? Looks like the Metal Storm masses found it equally limp, Burn!ing it with Biggest Letdown, with more than double the write-ins of second place "winner" Turisas.

And much to my surprise, Carcass Black Sabbath took Biggest Surprise for making an album that wasn't even remotely surprising. Not sure what y'all were expecting from them? Grind Zydeco? Death Doom Himalayan Throat Singing?

Check out all our winners here.

So 10 up, 10 down. Congratulations to our winners. But more importantly, congratulations to those fans who found new bands, and those bands who found new fans.
Posted: 01.03.2014 by BitterCOld

Comments page 4 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 125   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 658 users
03.03.2014 - 17:34
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
I'm really glad that Bucovina managed to get in top 10 in the Folk Metal category.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
03.03.2014 - 22:31
phanto
People need to listen to god damn vallendusk
04.03.2014 - 02:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by M C Vice on 01.03.2014 at 04:25

Need an instructional video on how to copy and paste from the already written in write in votes.

might help. along with threats of if not done as the artist's primary entry appears in MS it will be deleted.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.03.2014 - 02:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by erat on 01.03.2014 at 13:37

The Biggest Letdown is the "awards" itself.
Metalstorm. Wat r u doin? Metalstorm. Stahp.

Judging by your album ratings, frankly, I'm glad the awards piss in your Wheaties.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.03.2014 - 04:58
Reverend X
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2014 at 14:17

If you think metalheads vote differently than normal people, I'm sorry for you, dude.

Remember that the true winners of the MSA are bands that gained new fans, and fans that gained new fave bands/albums, whatever the final score is. All the rest is of so little consequence...

I concur. Being nominated is an achievement in itself. Bands would be proud since their work was recognized as one of the best in the category.
Of course quality of their music is what we seek but popularity also plays a factor.
04.03.2014 - 08:52
Reverend X
Written by deadone on 03.03.2014 at 01:03

Written by AnGina-- on 02.03.2014 at 20:32

Fanboys bitchin' again, I see.

To me MS awards is just an amusement. 2 albums I have voted for actually won, and I voted for 1 because I'm a fan of the band which album got nominated. It's not particularly fair, but then again, this is what the contest is really about.

I really don't give a sh#% who won and who didn't, because the albums I love the most are going to stay my faves.

I totally agree with this post.

Awards are meant to be a bit of fun.

I agree too. This is the most fun for me in MS every year.
This is also the time for discovery. Knowing new bands. Comparing albums. And become a fan.
04.03.2014 - 09:18
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by [user id=4365] on 03.03.2014 at 01:26

Bah, he could have at least made a scene, and maybe a thread telling everyone he was going and that MS had gone downhill / betrayed him etc. Selfish git.

No nomination in the MS drama category for 2014 awards for him.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
04.03.2014 - 11:29
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Every year, i discover at least a couple of good albums (bands) thanks to these awards - this year Consciousness Removal Project and Black Willows. So thanks!
04.03.2014 - 15:24
aevilms
I was really surprised to see somebody above Finntroll, Falkenbach and Saor in Folk/Pagan metal.
Is there anything more fun and drunk as those Finnish guys, more epic than Germans and more meditative than Scots?
Seriously? Folk band from Israel that is not even metal in essence?
How did that happen...
04.03.2014 - 16:47
Zap
Bit late, here are some thoughts:
Don't see what's surprising about Black Sabbath releasing a mediocre album.
None of my votes won, except Retinal Circus in best DVD (had no competition really)
Some surprising winners (Gloryhammer) some predictable winners (Carcass), but overall, I can appreciate the awards and I'm glad some of my favorite releases got nominated.
As with the Oscars, I care more about the nominations than who wins. The Oscar noms give me movies to check out, the MS noms give me albums to check out, which I still haven't completely done yet for every category. So thank you MS for being the best Metal site on the world wide web.
04.03.2014 - 22:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.03.2014 at 03:19
I'm sorry, but Inquisition winning black metal is just sickening. Pure example of the sheeple en masse voting for bands out of popularity rather than on actual ability.

If not for Gris they would have gotten my vote. I preferred their latest to any of the band's you mentioned and it had nothing to do with being a sheep, even if accusing others of that might make you feel better.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.03.2014 - 22:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.03.2014 at 22:06

If not for Gris they would have gotten my vote. I preferred their latest to any of the band's you mentioned and it had nothing to do with being a sheep, even if accusing others of that might make you feel better.

*popcorn*
04.03.2014 - 22:31
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.03.2014 at 22:06

It had nothing to do with being a sheep, even if accusing others of that might make you feel better.

Jeez, someone's on the rag today
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
04.03.2014 - 22:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.03.2014 at 22:31

*coca cola*
04.03.2014 - 22:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.03.2014 at 22:31

Nah, I just think it's unfair to say Inquisition (of all award winners this year) only won due to their popularity and it's also unfair to assume the userbase only voted for them because they can't think for themselves.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.03.2014 - 22:50
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.03.2014 at 22:37

I just think it's unfair to say Inquisition (of all award winners this year) only won due to their popularity and it's also unfair to assume the userbase only voted for them because they can't think for themselves.

I'm wouldn't like to say I'm just pulling this out of my ass for teh lulz though. The results of this years' awards just reek of popularity > ability mentality, and when you look at that from even the most objective point of view, it's kinda hard not to conclude that most users on here are either A. Not thinking for themselves or B. Too lazy to check out all nominees rather than just voting for the band they know best.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
04.03.2014 - 22:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.03.2014 at 22:50
The results of this years' awards just reek of popularity > ability mentality, and when you look at that from even the most objective point of view, it's kinda hard not to conclude that most users on here are either A. Not thinking for themselves or B. Too lazy to check out all nominees rather than just voting for the band they know best.

The result of every year's awards follow the same formula, since a model like this is designed to cater to more popular bands. It doesn't have as much to do with laziness (not everyone enjoys digging for music, being that "only" 10 nominees for some might feel like homework to others) nor does it mean the average person blindly follows what others do (since it's pretty much impossible to assume intent).

It's not so much a problem with who won or how the awards work, my only issue is with some of the holier-than-thou attitude some people assume because they vote for less popular bands. I'm trying not to point any fingers, just making an observation based on reading through comments in this thread.
----
04.03.2014 - 23:06
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.03.2014 at 22:55

My only issue is with some of the holier-than-thou attitude some people assume because they vote for less popular bands. I'm trying not to point any fingers, just making an observation based on reading through comments in this thread.

Yeah, that's not really me, so I hope you're not assuming it is. My style is just to judge off of ability, which can indeed be a subjective matter of personal decision, but I think that more often than not it's easy to tell what bands are more compositionally developed than others.
----

~ II. VII
05.03.2014 - 00:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.03.2014 at 22:50
The results of this years' awards just reek of popularity > ability mentality.

The funny thing is that this is as much news as K7 needing some english lessons. This is an every-year thing, dude. The only reason you are acting up more is because
1) Quite a few bands that you loved got owned by the majority. Probably a bit more bands than usual.
2) You worked with the awards and now know all the shit we go through and feel like "All the work for THIS"?

Classic response, trust me... You'll get used to it and next year you'll be all "Meh".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

05.03.2014 - 00:42
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.03.2014 at 00:27

The only reason you are acting up more is because
1) Quite a few bands that you loved got owned by the majority. Probably a bit more bands than usual.
2) You worked with the awards and now know all the shit we go through and feel like "All the work for THIS"?

Both, definitely, but more so the first. I mean, I dunno if it was just because MORE popular bands released albums this past year, but the popular vote just seems MUCH more intense this time around. Take 2012 for example. BAN won Industrial, DSO won Avantgarde, Dordeduh for folk, and A Forest Of Stars for Black. That, in my opinion, is some true voting on the basis of ability. Really my only huge complaint for that year was Elysian Blaze not winning Extreme Doom.
----

~ II. VII
05.03.2014 - 01:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
As expected, nothing I voted for won
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.03.2014 - 01:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 05.03.2014 at 00:42

Dordeduh for folk,

You're also going blind, Eluveite whatsit trounced them by hundreds of votes
05.03.2014 - 01:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
What the hell? One of replies to Che vanished Can't be arsed to write that out again.
05.03.2014 - 01:21
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by deadone on 05.03.2014 at 01:15

That, in my opinion, is some true voting on the basis of ability.

That was just voting more in line with your personal tastes.

I'm not going to get into a subjective/objective argument with you. As I said to Troy, YES it is all a matter of personal taste, but it's typically fairly evident which albums trump others in terms of compositional ability, and that's something that can be certainly be judged without the influx of personal opinion.
----

~ II. VII
05.03.2014 - 01:22
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by [user id=4365] on 05.03.2014 at 01:03

Dordeduh for folk,

You're also going blind, Eluveite whatsit trounced them by hundreds of votes

Ah, dunno why I thought it was Dordeduh for a sec. Probably misread the results as I'm looking at em now and that was who I voted for
----

~ II. VII
05.03.2014 - 12:52
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Inquisition released a great album as far as I'm concerned. Not mad at all they won. A lot of amazing releases in that category. Not sure I would call Inquisition "popular" though.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.03.2014 - 14:10
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by BloodTears on 05.03.2014 at 12:52

Inquisition released a great album as far as I'm concerned. Not mad at all they won. A lot of amazing releases in that category. Not sure I would call Inquisition "popular" though.

Inquisition deserves it more than Leprous. 'Obscure Verses For The Multiverse' is their best or at least one of their best albums. 'Coal' is (some might agree with me, some might not) generally a letdown and not as good album as 'Bilateral' or 'Tall Poppy Syndrome'. Haken should have won in Prog Category, because they have released their finest album.
05.03.2014 - 17:46
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Hex_Omega on 05.03.2014 at 14:10

Inquisition deserves it more than Leprous. 'Obscure Verses For The Multiverse' is their best or at least one of their best albums. 'Coal' is (some might agree with me, some might not) generally a letdown and not as good album as 'Bilateral' or 'Tall Poppy Syndrome'. Haken should have won in Prog Category, because they have released their finest album.

I have to disagree with you on the Leprous award. Coal was exceptional. I think it was very well deserved, but also think that Haken could win and it would be fair too. Progressive was very strong this year, and I had 8 other bands who could win and make me happy.

Still think Leprous continue to release masterpieces one after the other. I know many ppl don't see it that way.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.03.2014 - 22:58
Lethrokai
Written by Hex_Omega on 05.03.2014 at 14:10

Written by BloodTears on 05.03.2014 at 12:52

Well, I'd have to say I'm certainly not with you on that one. While I will agree that The Mountain is Haken's best, I'd still say that Coal was better than Tall Poppy Syndrome, and one of the few bands here that actually deserved their award. For me, Coal > The Mountain, even though both were genuinely impressive (like a surprisingly large amount of the prog scene in 2013, for that matter...)

Besides... we all know that if Ayreon was put in the votes, it would have won anyway!
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
07.03.2014 - 07:21
ppippissi
This is really random but I am so happy this site exists. I've found so much music I would have otherwise bypassed.

Hits total: 8614 | This month: 36